Status
Not open for further replies.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
Who said vaping is just to quit smoking? It can be whatever you want it to be.

Let them be, they don't hurt anyone, and if you don't want to buy the device, just don't. There's room in vaping for both users who are using it to quit smoking and those that vape mainly 0mg for clouds - and everyone else in between.

I'm more worried about that new vaper using an old charger they had lying around and using it to charge their ego battery.

drunkenbatman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
It's windy, USA
Maybe it's just me but I just feel even though a lot of people cloud chase including me but I don't like it being a associated with vaping when it's meant to be to quit smoking.

Honestly, not really. It's just a quick way of branding the ideal purpose of something, so you know right away it's not an atty used for flavor and all design tradeoffs are geared towards clouds. I can't be annoyed with a competition Doge without being annoyed that people are having cloud chasing competitions, when it's just something they dig that isn't hurting anyone. And since I'm not a hipster or an ANTZ, I try awfully hard not to judge subcultures I'm not a part of.

Except for people who put ketchup on hot dogs. I don't know who started that, but it is wrong and should be stopped.

jonny45378

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2014
Arizona
Honestly, not really. It's just a quick way of branding the ideal purpose of something, so you know right away it's not an atty used for flavor and all design tradeoffs are geared towards clouds. I can't be annoyed with a competition Doge without being annoyed that people are having cloud chasing competitions, when it's just something they dig that isn't hurting anyone. And since I'm not a hipster or an ANTZ, I try awfully hard not to judge subcultures I'm not a part of.

Except for people who put ketchup on hot dogs. I don't know who started that, but it is wrong and should be stopped.

Who said vaping is just to quit smoking? It can be whatever you want it to be.

Let them be, they don't hurt anyone, and if you don't want to buy the device, just don't. There's room in vaping for both users who are using it to quit smoking and those that vape mainly 0mg for clouds - and everyone else in between.

I'm more worried about that new vaper using an old charger they had lying around and using it to charge their ego battery.
It's not that I'm judging the sub culture, I just feel like it gives negative stigma to vaping. Like i said in the OP, it might just be me.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
yeah i dislike the whole 'competition' branding. thats just me, call me an ANTZ or whatever term you guys are using. vaping, smoking, whatever have you, competitions in either just seems stupid in my opinion.

Do you tell people to get off your lawn as well?

I'm half kidding, I'm not going to call anyone an anti-vaper because they dislike the competition branding. I don't find the branding relevant to me or the way I vape either.

I do however see no harm in allowing it to stand on its own merits without feeling the need to think bad of it or those that choose to use it.

As long as there have been people on this planet we've had competitions. I am sure cavemen had contests to see who could throw rocks the furthest or to see who had the most ironic hipster facial hair.

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
Do you tell people to get off your lawn as well?.

yes i do, if they're F!@#ing up my grass. and i dont mind 'competition' vaping, as long as they're not blowing up themselves or my town and giving more ammo to the people who want to push more regulation laws into vaping as a whole. i dont mind any subcultures as long as those subcultures dont .... my .... up, and as many people see it now vaping is vaping whether it just be vaping or competition vaping, and if they just looked at the competition subculture, makes us people who vape cuz we dont want to smoke look like horrible people who just vape for show. thats just my opinion take it as you want. people have tried to change my mind on other threads but my mind wont be changed as long as we are fighting for our right to vape

Last edited:

Signmaker

Oct 26, 2014
Berks, Pennsy, 'Murrica
When I see "Competition" vape gear, it reminds me of "Competition" video game controllers, or "Police/Military Use Only" pocket knives. Just a marketing gimmick.

Ketchup & onion sliver master race. Fight me irl, pleb.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
When I see "Competition" vape gear, it reminds me of "Competition" video game controllers, or "Police/Military Use Only" pocket knives. Just a marketing gimmick.

Ding, ding, ding, I think we have a winner.

yes i do, if they're F!@#ing up my grass. and i dont mind 'competition' vaping, as long as they're not blowing up themselves or my town and giving more ammo to the people who want to push more regulation laws into vaping as a whole. i dont mind any subcultures as long as those subcultures dont .... my .... up, and as many people see it now vaping is vaping whether it just be vaping or competition vaping, and if they just looked at the competition subculture, makes us people who vape cuz we dont want to smoke look horrible. thats just my opinion take it as you want. people have tried to change my mind on other threads but my mind wont be changed as long as we are fighting for our right to vape.

It's a discussion forum, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind or say my opinion is any more right than anyone else's. It's an exchange of ideas.
However, I do wish I were as confident in the validity of my opinions as you obviously are in yours.

Just while we're on this topic, how many ego batteries have you seen reported as "exploding" and compare that to how many mod batteries you've seen reported. Do you think those that use ego batteries are cloud chasers or people who use vaping to quit smoking?

How do those that do competition vaping (can we just call it cloud chasing?) or buy cloud chasing equipment make vapers who use it to stop smoking look bad?

Do you think the FDA is going to give a flying fig and make any differentiation between the two (cloud chasers and those that vape to not smoke) and push through more stringent regulations all because there are people blowing clouds - because I don't. I just can't see them even taking cloud chasers or competition equipment into any consideration at all.

Last edited:

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
Just while we're on this topic, how many ego batteries have you seen reported as "exploding" and compare that to how many mod batteries you've seen reported. Do you see a pattern here?

How do those that do competition vaping (can we just call it cloud chasing?) or buy cloud chasing equipment make vapers who use it to stop smoking look bad specifically?

its not really the specificity that i am against, its more of the media attention it gets. I personally haven't had an ego batt explode on me or read about it anywhere, although I haven't specifically looked into or googled 'exploding ego batts'. When it comes to competition vaping, people are put in situations where they push the limits of their mods/builds in excess to produce a certain outcome, which is more power more clouds. When put in an environment like this, it raises the likelines of things going wrong, increased hazards of vaping. Competitions also happen with large amounts of people, who then spread the word about the incident. I did not look into the mod explosion incident or google it trying to find it but I heard about it and saw posts/articles about it. Whoevers fault it was is not in question here for me, the fact that it happened and is being spread like wildfire to the point where I came up across it one day not looking for it. It's just the fact that competition vaping increases the risks of this kind of stuff happening, and if people can use the bad publicity of those events against my right to vape then yeah I have a problem with it.

Im sure there are people out there who have screwed up a mech/rda build in their homes just because they were new and felt their battery get hot, or something wrong happen, they are just not posting about it. Just vaping alone on a mech requires some finesse and understanding, and I just feel like since there is no regulation and anybody can basically buy a mech and go into competition vaping and cloud chasing competitions with no knowledge, people who run these competitions should be responsible, and since vaping is not regulated I cant trust that all these competitions are being taken care of in a safe manner. Whether it be the risk of hurting themselves, or the risk of giving more power to our opposition to use against us if things go wrong, I'm not for the whole 'competition' vaping. I mean they can continue to do what they do, just as long as it doesnt f!@k my stuff up.

Last edited:

Signmaker

Oct 26, 2014
Berks, Pennsy, 'Murrica
Do you think the FDA is going to give a flying fig and make any differentiation between the two (cloud chasers and those that vape to not smoke) and push through more stringent regulations all because there are people blowing clouds - because I don't. I just can't see them even taking cloud chasers or competition equipment into any consideration at all.
And then 5 years from now, we find ourselves in a strange world where we have to vape "competition" gear, since it's not "designed for tobacco product use". *cue Twilight Zone theme*

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012

well, look at the recent global thread here on ecf, about the campaign that failed. They have nothing and it is just all lies. If they centered more on the cloud/competition subculture, im pretty sure it would have been more successful and have some truth in it. Imagine it.

Young teens taking part in cloud competitions. leading underage users to vape even when they never smoked, just due to the fact that the 'competition' looked cool and fun. Using high powered unregulated mods that are unsafe which the user powers with batteries produced for other commercial products. Mention the mod explosion that led to destruction of property, and 'could' have lead to serious injuries that happened at one of these 'vape meets', user of the mod was just 'lucky'. Mention going to vaping from smoking , all just picking up another addiction, more 'dangerous' addiction that can provide more real-time harm and self injury than smoking tobacco. etc etc.

im not saying i would agree with what they would say or that i believe the crap im sayign to be 100% true, but it sure would have had a bigger impact. putting mechmods into irresponsible peoples hands is just all out bad in my opinion. people nowadays are being attracted by the allure of vaping but some dont do the research, and sooner or later one of those uneducated people with a mech trying to chase clouds is gona injure or blow stuff up in a public environment and it'll be highly publicized and give us a bad name.

Last edited:

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
its not really the specificity that i am against, its more of the media attention it gets. I personally haven't had an ego batt explode on me or read about it anywhere, although I haven't specifically looked into or googled 'exploding ego batts'. When it comes to competition vaping, people are put in situations where they push the limits of their mods/builds in excess to produce a certain outcome, which is more power more clouds. When put in an environment like this, it raises the likelines of things going wrong, increased hazards of vaping. Competitions also happen with large amounts of people, who then spread the word about the incident. I did not look into the mod explosion incident or google it trying to find it but I heard about it and saw posts/articles about it. Whoevers fault it was is not in question here for me, the fact that it happened and is being spread like wildfire to the point where I came up across it one day not looking for it. It's just the fact that competition vaping increases the risks of this kind of stuff happening, and if people can use the bad publicity of those events against my right to vape then yeah I have a problem with it. Im sure there are people out there who have screwed up a mech/rda build in their homes just because they were new and felt their battery get hot, or something wrong happen, they are just not posting about it. Just vaping alone on a mech requires some finesse and understanding, and I just feel like since there is no regulation and anybody can basically buy a mech and go into competition vaping and cloud chasing competitions with no knowledge, people who run these competitions should be responsible, and since vaping is not regulated I cant trust that all these competitions are being taken care of in a safe manner.

I get it, and for a long time I too was worried (and still am to a degree) about a lot of the things you mentioned in your post - the thing is, the simple facts are we've had 3 incidents of people having a catastrophic battery failure in a mod (that I can recall) and yet I've seen about 15 posts mentioning ego batteries 'exploding' over the last year or so (not including those reported in the media)

Of course you could argue that more people use ego batteries and I would agree, but I find the whole "someone might get hurt and it gives 'normal' vapers a bad rep" reason for getting down on cloud chasers a pretty disingenuous argument.

We know there have been fewer incidents for mod batteries venting than there have been for ego batteries and yet we still use it as part of the reason why we think cloud chasing is a bad thing.

As vapers we are asking to be left alone, free from most regulation from the FDA and local authorities and city halls, and yet in the same breath we are quick to condemn and judge a whole sub-set of vapers that are really doing nothing wrong other than enjoying a hobby.

I want to be free - hey cloud chasers, stop being free and enjoying your hobby because I have the perception it is more dangerous than what I am doing and it may affect the coming FDA regulations (although that again is my opinion and not based in any fact) Oh, and I don't like the way you are looking at me.

EDIT - you know that vape meets are not cloud chasing contests right and that the vast majority of people who attend them are people who vape not to smoke?

Last edited:

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
I want to be free - hey cloud chasers, stop being free and enjoying your hobby because I have the perception it is more dangerous than what I am doing and it may affect the coming FDA regulations (although that again is my opinion and not based in any fact) Oh, and I don't like the way you are looking at me.

In all reality, i personally would welcome 'some' regulation. Like not being able to order toxic highly concentrated amount of nicotine base through the mail, and mods that are poorly/dangerously built. There really is no information out there either for users. Mods just come in a box or not even in a box. Usually it doesnt tell you what power battery what size or where to get it from. you can order 100mg+ nicotine base delivered right to your door. There are a bunch of counterfeit batteries out there that dont supply what is advertised. Most starter stuff is wimpy non competition stuff, and not all people who go into competition vaping can do it on their own, they have to read do research understand how batteries, resistance, current, amp draw works, and not all do the research and take safety precautions.

Hell, almost all the people I know who smoke on mech mods have had their own mishaps with their gear, battery getting too hot, batteries venting, burning themselves, shocking themselves, etc. and some of them still dont understand how it works. They just go 'oh this is what i did that works' and just do the same thing over n over without understanding why. At a local vape shop I went to I was checking out their RDA's, and the guy at the counter asked to see my dna30 mod. He said yeah, that mod cant handle RDA's itll drain the battery fast, 'I would return that man because it wouldnt be able to handle the ohms on an RDA'.
I just brushed it off.

It seems you dont even need a liscence to be able to open up your own vape shop and sell these things, and miseducate the public. I've been to a few vape shops where the people working there aren't as educated as they need to be, I mean they will be there vaping on a mech mod but have no clue about battery safety or ohms law. Being they are selling age restricted devices that can lead to harm if misused, not needed a liscence to do so is another thing I think needs to be looked at. walk into a shop selling those type of devices. "yeah bro, this competition mech mod is a beast, buy this competition RDA, and throw some batteries in there and build the lowest ohms coils you can and watch the clouds fly, i cant explain to you why or how but it does'

Last edited:

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
In all reality, i personally would welcome 'some' regulation. Like not being able to order toxic highly concentrated amount of nicotine base through the mail, and mods that are poorly/dangerously built. There really is no information out there either for users. Mods just come in a box or not even in a box. Usually it doesnt tell you what power battery what size or where to get it from. you can order 100mg+ nicotine base delivered right to your door. There are a bunch of counterfeit batteries out there that dont supply what is advertised. Most starter stuff is wimpy non competition stuff, and not all people who go into competition vaping can do it on their own, they have to read do research understand how batteries, resistance, current, amp draw works, and not all do the research and take safety precautions. Hell, almost all the people I know who smoke on mech mods have had their own mishaps with their gear, battery getting too hot, batteries venting, burning themselves, shocking themselves, etc. and some of them still dont understand how it works. They just go 'oh this is what i did that works' and just do the same thing over n over without understanding why.

Good discussion, I've got to get on with my day.

I'll just finish by saying alcohol is probably the most regulated general substance for sale in the US and yet 2,200 people die each year from alcohol poisoning.

Regulation does not make things safe. Regulating vaping equipment will have little to no effect on cloud chasers by the way - it's more likely it will impact those that vape to not smoke in a negative way.

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
. Regulating vaping equipment will have little to no effect on cloud chasers by the way - it's more likely it will impact those that vape to not smoke in a negative way.

that was my whole point :p i believe cloud chasing/competition vaping brings more publicity to vaping. and the results would lead to regulations that would effect us non cloud chasing/competition vaping vapers.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
that was my whole point :p i believe cloud chasing/competition vaping brings more publicity to vaping. and the results would lead to regulations that would effect us non cloud chasing/competition vaping vapers.

And my whole point was the FDA won't regulate because of cloud chasers. Cloud chasers will have nothing to do with one letter of the coming deeming proposals or the final regulations. Not one thing, not one consideration.
Have a listen to some of the hearings - they are talking about flavors, about the safety of ingredients and the regulations around the testing of flavors. There has not been one mention of clouds being chased, batteries being vented or people buying competition mods.

When the regulations do come, they will impact all vapers, but mainly those that vape to not smoke. A lot of cloud chasers don't even use nicotine. Trying to apportion any 'blame' for any coming regulations at the door of cloud chasers is done by gut feeling (and no lack of prejudice I might add) and not based on any facts.

Last edited:

drunkenbatman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
It's windy, USA
alicewonderland said:
well, look at the recent global thread here on ecf, about the campaign that failed. They have nothing and it is just all lies. If they centered more on the cloud/competition subculture, im pretty sure it would have been more successful and have some truth in it. Imagine it.

I am, 100%. Eigate is selling Aspire BVC coils made of fiberglass/ceramic paper which I'm fairly certain couldn't be sold if it was a regulated product. I'm just waiting for that to really start hitting and *years* from now after they've switched to cotton universities are going to be studies, and jouranlists will be posting stories about them, where we're going to have to go "Yeah but those aren't sold anymore" over and over.

But cloud-chasing is a sub-culture, not one I think is particularly healthy but it's what it is. Aside from increased formaldehyde there isn't much data we can point to, and there goes all your sub-ohm tanks that're flying off the shelves. About the best is anecdotal stuff of vapers coughing in videos, but people use 100% VG that causes phlegm buildup just for the clouds. If it makes someone uncomfortable it is their problem, not the cloud chasers.

Yes, some teens/people are seeing people blow clouds and wanting to emulate them, but I'm sure some who've never smoked wouldn't be interested in vaping if cinnamon roll or dessert or fruit flavors didn't exist, and all can be used against us. Going after cloud chasers but not everything else is hypocrisy, and going after everything else is a bottom-less pit that harms everything.

Signmaker said:
Ketchup & onion sliver master race. Fight me irl, pleb.

lol fun fact: There are places in Chitown that won't actually put ketchup on your hot dog. If you order it with, they'll point you to the packets at the station at the wall as you bought it, but they won't defile it themselves.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread