Diketones-free vendors

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyboro

Dec 29, 2014
http://www.flavourart.co.uk/

"FlavourArt has an enviable reputation for the quality and purity of their flavours. Years of experience and expert knowledge coupled with a passion for producing only the very best products keeps them ahead of the competition and we are delighted to share a partnership with them. Customers can rest assured that they are receiving flavourings and eliquid that are manufactured in one of the most advanced production facilities in the industry and which are subject to the most stringent quality control procedures.

None of the FlavourArt flavourings on this website use Diacetyl, Acetoin, or Acetyl Propionyl, refined sugars, protein, genetically modified ingredients, animal ingredients of any kind, preservatives, sweeteners, or colours. They are all gluten and peanut free, suitable for diabetics, vegetarians, and vegans."

Had a quick look but couldn't find the tests right now.

vlahmapoutras

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2014
Netherlands
Another one is NicVape

NicVape - The Premier Supplier of Premium E-Liquids Worldwide

Starting in October 2014 with our New e-liquid product lines, NicVape will begin testing every batch of final e-liquid product produced to provide access to the public as well as our wholesale & retail partners through our Online transparency application NicTrace : NicTrace
Customers can go to the Nictrace System and enter the Batch ID from their NicVape product and see the 3 rd party testing results. For a sample report you can use batch id: “Sample e-liquid test report”

They have a nice system to check the batch from which the buyer ordered for every single one.Interesting...

Mia11

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
Michigan

"FlavourArt has an enviable reputation for the quality and purity of their flavours. Years of experience and expert knowledge coupled with a passion for producing only the very best products keeps them ahead of the competition and we are delighted to share a partnership with them. Customers can rest assured that they are receiving flavourings and eliquid that are manufactured in one of the most advanced production facilities in the industry and which are subject to the most stringent quality control procedures.

None of the FlavourArt flavourings on this website use Diacetyl, Acetoin, or Acetyl Propionyl, refined sugars, protein, genetically modified ingredients, animal ingredients of any kind, preservatives, sweeteners, or colours. They are all gluten and peanut free, suitable for diabetics, vegetarians, and vegans."

Just to note, these were developed for the purpose of flavoring food and drink, not vaping. Diacetyl is harmful when inhaled, not ingested. The above says nothing about being suitable for vaping.

Reactions: Racehorse

vlahmapoutras

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2014
Netherlands
I didin't know that something like this existed.In many posts I read members agree that there have to be some standards on the production of e-liquids.
Actually AEMSA (AEMSA | American E-Liquid Manufacturing Standards Association) certifies that every company that is a member guarantees the following

Section 2.05 The following will not be added or used in the creation of e-liquids

(a) Including but not limited to:

(i) Diacetyl
(ii) WTA (whole tobacco alkaloids)
(iii) Medicinal - or prescription medicinal
(iv) Illegal or controlled substances
(v) Caffeine
(vi) Vitamins or Dietary supplements (other than for preservative purposes)
(vii) Acetyl Propionyl (2,3-‐Pentanedione)
(viii) Artifical Food Coloring
1) AEMSA members will not add any artificial coloring or dyes during the e-liquid manufacturing process. Non vendor
manufactured flavorings containing artificial food coloring will identify food coloring information to include coloring
number in advertising and product descriptions
(iv) AEMSA reserves the right to review, evaluate and deny/approve any potential substance used in the creation of e-liquids
at any given time

Section 2.06............ Process/Records/Traceability

(a) Manufactures will maintain sufficient process and records to enable the manufacturer to trace any individual product
distributed to the test results for nicotine content to include source nicotine (see section 2.02)

And a list with member companies is given MEMBERS | AEMSA

All companies that were mentioned before (with the exception of CleanVape) are members.
I know many people will say that in order to become a member of AEMSA you need to pay since it's a private organization and that will mostly affect the small companies; but as another forum member said "We are talking about something you put in your body by inhaling, not knitting a sweater in your house and selling it online"

Reactions: caroloto

johnnyboro

Dec 29, 2014

Just to note, these were developed for the purpose of flavoring food and drink, not vaping. Diacetyl is harmful when inhaled, not ingested. The above says nothing about being suitable for vaping.

It says"None of the FlavourArt flavourings on this website use Diacetyl, Acetoin, or Acetyl Propionyl". I'm not really sure what you're trying to say.
Do other flavoring manufacturers even do testing like this company?
Watch this video.

Last edited:

Redhotchewy

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2011
USA, East Coast
I didin't know that something like this existed.In many posts I read members agree that there have to be some standards on the production of e-liquids.
Actually AEMSA (AEMSA | American E-Liquid Manufacturing Standards Association) certifies that every company that is a member guarantees the following

Section 2.05 The following will not be added or used in the creation of e-liquids

(a) Including but not limited to:

(i) Diacetyl
(ii) WTA (whole tobacco alkaloids)
(iii) Medicinal - or prescription medicinal
(iv) Illegal or controlled substances
(v) Caffeine
(vi) Vitamins or Dietary supplements (other than for preservative purposes)
(vii) Acetyl Propionyl (2,3-‐Pentanedione)
(viii) Artifical Food Coloring
1) AEMSA members will not add any artificial coloring or dyes during the e-liquid manufacturing process. Non vendor
manufactured flavorings containing artificial food coloring will identify food coloring information to include coloring
number in advertising and product descriptions
(iv) AEMSA reserves the right to review, evaluate and deny/approve any potential substance used in the creation of e-liquids
at any given time

Section 2.06............ Process/Records/Traceability

(a) Manufactures will maintain sufficient process and records to enable the manufacturer to trace any individual product
distributed to the test results for nicotine content to include source nicotine (see section 2.02)

And a list with member companies is given MEMBERS | AEMSA

All companies that were mentioned before (with the exception of CleanVape) are members.
I know many people will say that in order to become a member of AEMSA you need to pay since it's a private organization and that will mostly affect the small companies; but as another forum member said "We are talking about something you put in your body by inhaling, not knitting a sweater in your house and selling it online"

AEMSA does not require flavor testing they only encourage it check their website and you will see. Besides the company's that are "diacetyl free" are simply replacing the chemical with a similar less understood chemical in the class of butyl carboxylic acids. They are less understood but present less readily understood health risks and offer the same flavoring "buttery" flavor. It's kind of the lessor of two evils scenario. Personally I don't think most people understand how this flavoring business works because the chemicals are not replaceable with some magic compound that is healthy. There isn't an easy fix here and there is always risk. Science doesn't understand very much of what we put in our bodies even though they are learning more all the time. Just some thoughts from your friendly neighborhood chemist.

Reactions: David Wolf

Jonner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2010
Pennsylvania
AEMSA does not require flavor testing they only encourage it check their website and you will see. Besides the company's that are "diacetyl free" are simply replacing the chemical with a similar less understood chemical in the class of butyl carboxylic acids. They are less understood but present less readily understood health risks and offer the same flavoring "buttery" flavor. It's kind of the lessor of two evils scenario. Personally I don't think most people understand how this flavoring business works because the chemicals are not replaceable with some magic compound that is healthy. There isn't an easy fix here and there is always risk. Science doesn't understand very much of what we put in our bodies even though they are learning more all the time. Just some thoughts from your friendly neighborhood chemist.

This really is just all too confusing, I'm about to just throw in the towel, vape my favorite liquids, diacetyl or not, and be satisfied that at least it is not as bad as smoking. I just wish it was easier to NOT be a guinea pig, but at this stage it pretty much looks impossible.

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
This really is just all too confusing, I'm about to just throw in the towel, vape my favorite liquids, diacetyl or not, and be satisfied that at least it is not as bad as smoking. I just wish it was easier to NOT be a guinea pig, but at this stage it pretty much looks impossible.

I understand your frustration, but i don't understand your logic tbh. Are you saying since i am taking a risk ( and it is safer than smoking ), it doesn't matter how much risk ? We just need to work with the information available and make a decision that we will not rue 20 years from now. We have control over eliminating known potential risks, not the unknown ones.

I would rather sit back 15 years from now and admit i was being paranoid about the potential harm and it was much ado about nothing, than regret not avoiding a substance that i knew might be harmful.

Reactions: LoveVanilla

Jonner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2010
Pennsylvania
I understand your frustration, but i don't understand your logic tbh. Are you saying since i am taking a risk ( and it is safer than smoking ), it doesn't matter how much risk ? We just need to work with the information available and make a decision that we will not rue 20 years from now. We have control over eliminating known potential risks, not the unknown ones.

I would rather sit back 15 years from now and admit i was being paranoid about the potential harm and it was much ado about nothing, than regret not avoiding a substance that i knew might be harmful.

I understand your point, and agree with it, just frustrated at the moment.
I will most likely try to avoid the diacetyl containing liquids, what's bothering me is the claim that the ingredients they are using as substitutes in the custard/cream juices MIGHT be just as bad.

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
I understand your point, and agree with it, just frustrated at the moment.
I will most likely try to avoid the diacetyl containing liquids, what's bothering me is the claim that the ingredients they are using as substitutes in the custard/cream juices MIGHT be just as bad.

Yeah i hear you, and also understand that it is easier for me to make this decision than someone who actually likes or loves the taste and mouth-feel of diacetyl and acetyl propyniol. To me it's really not a big deal to avoid custards, creams, puddings, butterscotch, vanilla etc ...

vlahmapoutras

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2014
Netherlands

They don't only certify the absence of diacetyl but other substances as well.
And more importantly they test it; not just believing claims of the supplier.
Butyric acid is indeed less researched.If proven bad I will also buy liquids without it.
But the diketones are proven to be bad for inhaling and AEMSA certifies their presence/absence.

EHP – Still Searching for Better Butter Flavoring

CDC - Flavorings-Related Lung Disease: Exposures to Flavoring Chemicals - NIOSH Workplace Safety and Health Topic

The fact is: Most liquid manufacturers have no knowledge of chemistry besides mixing liquids and adding substances.If I would be a manufacturer I would definitely not use substances that are scientifically proven to be bad for inhaling.
And for future reference : all manufacturers that use diketones will have no excuse claiming they didn't know (like cigarette companies several decades ago concerning risks of smoking).As you said the more we test the more we learn and indications/results are already published.And manufacturers have a duty to get informed about their products.Responsibility and respect towards the customer is much more than overfilling bottles,handwritten notes,nice packaging etc.(not that I don't enjoy any of them).

Last edited:

Redhotchewy

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2011
USA, East Coast
They don't only certify the absence of diacetyl but other substances as well.
And more importantly they test it; not just believing claims of the supplier.
Butyric acid is indeed less researched.If proven bad I will also buy liquids without it.
But the diketones are proven to be bad for inhaling and AEMSA certifies their presence/absence.

EHP – Still Searching for Better Butter Flavoring

CDC - Flavorings-Related Lung Disease: Exposures to Flavoring Chemicals - NIOSH Workplace Safety and Health Topic

The fact is: Most liquid manufacturers have no knowledge of chemistry besides mixing liquids and adding substances.If I would be a manufacturer I would definitely not use substances that are scientifically proven to be bad for inhaling.
And for future reference : all manufacturers that use diketones will have no excuse claiming they didn't know (like cigarette companies several decades ago concerning risks of smoking).As you said the more we test the more we learn and indications/results are already published.And manufacturers have a duty to get informed about their products.Responsibility and respect towards the customer is much more than overfilling bottles,handwritten notes,nice packaging etc.(not that I don't enjoy any of them).

I would love to see the certificate of analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread