DIY Master Techniques - Flavor Add-on's (EM, VW, BW, MTS, ACV, ect)

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelsil1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2013
Los Angeles
After talking with the Pharmacist I ended up with the Saline Packets

220.jpg

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
nice… was waiting for an easily found product without additives, not sure if this is just salt and water but its not available in all WM stores, so i'm thinking, like attypop, DIY…

duh here i go with the stupid questions: non iodide salt…. distilled water … is it a .9% solution?

most saline rinse stuff has bic soda, but i guess thats ok too.

michaelsil1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2013
Los Angeles
After talking with the Pharmacist I ended up with the Saline Packets

220.jpg

nice… was waiting for an easily found product without additives, not sure if this is just salt and water but its not available in all WM stores, so i'm thinking, like attypop, DIY…

duh here i go with the stupid questions: non iodide salt…. distilled water … is it a .9% solution?

most saline rinse stuff has bic soda, but i guess thats ok too.

This is just Sodium Chloride and Sodium Bicarbonate (99%+ Pure).

~Sue~Feb2012

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2012
USA
Great thread and my thanks to micksf for starting it... and everyone else in here, too :)

I started DIYing about mid 2012 and it's been such a great journey!

I've been using a bit of salt to my e-liquids and it's amazing! It adds moisture and flavor yet there is no discernible salty taste. (For my "salt" mix, I put a pinch of canning salt (i.e. no anti-caking or iodine) in approx. 50 ml of distilled water. My "pinch" is less than 1/16 tsp. I then put a few drops of my "mix" in my 5ml bottle of e-liquid. My base is 100%VG nic so the couple drops of distilled water thins it enough for me as well.)

It just occurred to me when I saw the above posts regarding the Neti pot nasal rinse, that I have not yet tried baking soda in my e-liquids. After first purchasing those I found a recipe for making my own. I used to make my own rinse mix with 3 parts canning salt to 1 part baking soda. So much cheaper than buying those little packets! I haven't used my Neti pot in about a year though, but I do have some of those original packets that I had put away in my suitcase once, while travelling, but never need it. I'll have to dig those out and experiment with my e-liquids now lol. I wonder why I haven't felt the need to use the Neti Pot? Do you think because I've been using a bit of salt in my e-liquids and so maybe my nose doesn't get stuffy anymore? hence no need for the Neti-pot? :blink: Sorry, just thinking out loud lol

Is anyone experimenting with baking soda in their DIY e-liquids? Did I miss it? What ratios etc.?
Thanks again!

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
I was at CVS and the only Saline I could find without preservatives was a package (Sodium Chloride with Sodium Bicarbonate). Is this worth trying?

As you likely know, sodium bicarbonate = baking soda.

We messed around with all kinds of dilutions of baking soda early on (trying to get that all elusive "fizz effect") - what we found is that it significantly altered & diminished flavors.

'Can't use a blend of those two and then "know" anything about them individually. The two each have very different effects.

edit - oh yeah, the baking soda messed with the coils a bit, too.

Last edited:

michaelsil1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2013
Los Angeles
I also found some Kosher Salt with no additives and I was thinking about how much Salt to Distilled Water.

This is just Ballpark, I put about a Teaspoon of Salt into 250ml of Distilled Water thinking this will give me a .9% Saline Solution does this sound right

This isn't very much Salt!

Last edited:

~Sue~Feb2012

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2012
USA
As you likely know, sodium bicarbonate = baking soda.

We messed around with all kinds of dilutions of baking soda early on (trying to get that all elusive "fizz effect") - what we found is that it significantly altered & diminished flavors.

'Can't use a blend of those two and then "know" anything about them individually. The two each have very different effects.

edit - oh yeah, the baking soda messed with the coils a bit, too.

Hi We2rcool:)
What baking soda percentages did you try? and then, what did it do to the coils? TIA

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
This is just Sodium Chloride and Sodium Bicarbonate (99%+ Pure).

I just got the same stuff and mixed 2 packs in 8oz which add up to about a 3.5% solution. I wanted it stronger so I can use less because I vape 65vg/35PG and don't want to thin it to much. I figure 3% should be good to start with.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
Update.

On the arabic it took about a half hour but it did take the harsh edge off it and smooth the vape out.

On the chocolate it seems to have bought out the sweetness slightly and there is deffinitly a smoother texture to the vape.

This is with a 3.6% saline/baking soda solution to 8oz DW. I added it to the mix at 3%. I used 2 packets of NeilMed Sinus rinse in a 65VG/35PG mix. If you are going to use greater then 80%vg I recommend 1 packet (1.8% solution) to 8oz DW and add it to the mix at 6%.

Last edited:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
It's giving more vapor because:

You should have been thinning the juice anyway. Salt does not make vapor...
Maybe...MAYBE....the saline solution helped clean some gunk off your coils.

More likely it's just wicking better.

Someone mentioned salt as a conductor. If they were thinking about it, floating a coil in a somewhat conductive solution would REDUCE vapor because it would essentially short the coil.

So it's either self cleaning, or better wicking (and you'd get that with water too)

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
Right off the bat I noticed the better vaper and contributed it to the additional water. What I did notice after some time passed is that it smoothed out the vape and removed that harsh edge which is more important to me as this what I was after. The test will be at bed time to see if I still have the usual throat irratation.

Last edited:

michaelsil1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2013
Los Angeles
Right off the bat I noticed the better vaper and contributed it to the additional water. What I did notice that is more important is how it smoothed out the vape and removed that harsh edge which is what I was after. The test will be at bed time to see if I still have the usual throat irratation.

That is why I was adding just Distilled Water it smoothed the Sharp Notes.

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
Hi We2rcool:)
What baking soda percentages did you try? and then, what did it do to the coils? TIA

We made several bottles of standard 10% solutions of baking soda/liquid, with the liquid being :::deep breath::: ...distilled water; 50/50 dw/vg; 50/50 vg/pga; 100% VG; and in our base. We then mixed each of those in a range of percentages (.25, .5, .75, 1, 2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 7.5, 10, 12.5, 15) in vials with our plain base with nic AND in vials with a 'flavor' (the flavor was either TFA's Cherry Blossom or Violet Candy at 10%-ish, as those were in my daily rotation at the, and I had 'solid vape taste knowledge' to use for comparison). Oh yes indeedy, our testing sometimes involves 50-100 1 dram vials - but we rarely find it necessary to test each one.

Low percentages (.25 - 1) yielded nothing we could discern, or a slight muting of flavor (the muting of flavor was definite); the stronger the percentage, the more the flavors muted - until we could start tasting the baking soda (which of course, was disgusting). I seem to recall that around the 2% range, the the coils seemed to be wicking slower, and at some point we noted we needed to increase the voltage to get the same amount of vapor.

We typically clean our testing atty coils with a pga soak and a dry burn. The smoke from the coils was "different smelling" (and it took longer to get them burned off & glowing).

Our conclusions: no fizz effect; no reason to add baking soda to our DIY additives box. Of course, there may be others that reach different conclusions.

Additionally, as far as the pH thing... the pH of baking soda is aroud 8.2 - not even a full percentage point from midline. If one is looking for something to alkalize juices, they're going to need something FAR more alkaline than baking soda.

'Hope that helps :)

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
Great report and thank you for providing these results. My results were a bit different although not as in depth as yours. I used a combination saline/bakingsoda solution at 3.6% (1.8 saline/1.8% baking soda). I've settled on adding 3% of this solution in my final mix. I used a kayfun with a chocolate and an arabic mix and a T3 with an elder captain mix all in a 65vg/35pg/14mg base. It did seem to very slightly mute taste of the flavor but not drastically but at the same time smoothed out the harsh edge of the vape. The vapor cloud was increased and wicking was consistant. I've only been testing the mixes for about 12 hours now but have not seen any negative effect on the coils or vapor output and as of yet have not needed to adjust voltage. For me the slight mute in flavor was a decent trade off for the throat irritation relief. Increasing the flavor by 1 - 2 percent would compensate for this flavor loss but for me I don't think it's that far off where I would do this. As my purpose was for throat irritation relief and not fizz reproduction I have no comments on that subject.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread