DNA250C Replay - what's the big deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
In my former-former-former life I needed to be conversant with several engineering disciplines (to speak with experts, with expertise). EE’s were always easiest to communicate with. [emoji106]

I urge non-technical 250C users to observe “Puff Info” under the “System” screen. That screen provides real-time results/report of Power, Temp, and Battery.

This is effectively a reduced eScribe in-the-palm-of-your-hand.

This has nothing to do with “AI”. As I suggested above, this is part of the output Evolv’s ‘black box’ algorithm; one we can only experience, not see...or know.

You cannot see, or know... But you can guess. It is human nature...

Reactions: stols001

Celt1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2018
USA
Replay on the 75c is out!
PogChamp.png

Early Firmware and EScribe Suite
Linux:
Escribe Linux | DNA200 German Crew
Download the international version, not the US one.
Yippee! Installed the update and default theme. I'm sure I will probably customize the theme. Now I have Replay to play with :banana:.

I think it will take quite a bit of testing to reach an informed opinion on Replay, but kudos to Evolve for committing to bringing this upgrade to dna 75c owners, and then following through. That is the kind of customer support that builds a loyal fan base.

My purty Paranormal just learned new tricks :hubba:

jazzvaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
USA
You cannot see, or know... But you can guess. It is human nature...

An enterprising engineer, or one with too much time on their hands, could do a lot better than to guess since there is hard data to massage. (An intuitive math geek might see though the data quicker than an engineer. :w00t:)

My device has 4305 "vapes" recorded containing the following displayed values:

3.59 seconds,
59.6 Watts,
59milliwatt hours,
376F
For the last, 4305th, vape.

If we assume that all of those vapes were intended to be EQUAL or Constant
(not true because I have changed the Wattage several times as I learn the device)

Then an interpolation could be derived, resulting in a CONSTANT for my preferred vape...

Get out that Excel app!!

Am I missing anything?

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
looks like im ordering a therion BF 75c then, assuming the moddification necessary isnt something im likely to screw up. Is it?
Yeah, get you a Therion BF, the supply has been drying up on them since it's been discontinued.

I haven't EVER even downloaded/installed Escribe. One of these weekends, I will try it and play with this on the Therion BF myself. Need to watch a few Escribe tutorials first.

I've got several mods with DNA chips, just never messed with Escribe myself.

Ceyx

Apr 20, 2018
Germany
It's ironic really. Back in the day you were either a variable voltage or variable wattage vaper. Evolv argued VW was better because... you could get that perfect vape every time, no matter what you screwed on the mod. Switching from a 1.8 ohm to 2.2 ohm clearos required adjustments on VV, not so with VW.

They won the argument, then promptly made a chip that required you to make different adjustments for different tanks. That's why I thought TC was silly. If you don't want burnt hits, build correctly for your atomizer, wick it right, and refill it when necessary. You don't need special wire or a chip making adjustments on the fly to achieve that.

Now they're back, at least from a marketing standpoint, to the "set it and forget it" strategy. They might as well just say "It's as easy as vaping was before we dumped temp control in your lap".

Didn’t even make it past the first page. The lack of common sense here is so disturbing, got to reply right away.
This is also a reply to Coastal Cowboy.. and anyone else bashing something you haven’t even tried yet:

TC = one temperature that you’ve set, one straight “flavor line”
REPLAY = one puff that you save, giving you a “flavor curve” just like in wattage mode.
Yeah, it does work best with temp wires. Guess what? When you combine wattage mode with TC, what do you expect? That you can put in tinfoil?

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
General comment, not targetted....

Im somewhat surprised that theres still people rubbishing TC around the traps, but then theres always people who didnt know or bother to learn how its supposed to work or the requirements, one of the most common issues is building stupid low ohm clapton builds of 316L and then going "tc is rubbish" and not bothering to learn what TCR actually means and how 316L has low measurable TC. Also that its not just the mod (finding a mod where you could edit the TCR was once tricky (thanks TreeBox Mini, you were among the first) and sometimes vendors used an incorrect TCR value - especially for 316L - getting less and less) or the wire, its also the tank and its connectivity and resistance reading stability...and you cant equate "well my tank works fine in wattage mode" with "TC is ....", because even a 0.05 resistance change at rest (cold) can be total pain for TC..so either your build or your tank, not TC.

But blame the tools/technology....its easier....

For those who bothered, and did simple things like build at 0.5 or above (my average is 0.6) theyve been having a trouble free TC vape for years, i have for at least 2 years, and as anyone who knows me knows i havent been near wattage mode in over 2 years and would rather die than go back to it and its variable results...what sane person would swap push button identical vaping every press for that....

And im hopefully soon going to get a 75c mod and try out Replay, my fear is that it wont be as revolutionary to me as ive not had a single issue with TC and ill have spent more money than i needed to :)

Last edited:

MadTemp

ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2015
Well took me a month but finally got replay to act like a taste curve going from TC to start with a preheat found perfect puff and saved, nice to have a temp curve it's smoother on the throat. Replay is NOT hype and I own Sx480j Sx480j dna250 and 200, imo the finder dna250c is worth every penny. Plus evolv had your back 92.5% off board memory 97.5% on board memory in use

Zipslack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 26, 2013
Wesson, MS, USA
Reading this thread has been informational, and sometimes funny, with a little bit of face-palming.

After reading all this, I have to wonder why DNA boards are so coveted. It seems to be much more effort to get TC right. And if most users are using it in Power mode, why bother with the expense?

Not trying to be snarky or start a war...just curious as to whether I should bother with DNA if I already am happy with TC on "lesser" mods.

I do get that some people like to tinker...I started using Linux back in the late 90's when everything was configured by hand-editing config files. Nowadays, I want things to just work with minimal time expenditure (Slackware -> Mint). Same thing with my vapes...get it working the way I want as quickly as possible with little-to-no cursing.

Celt1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2018
USA
To each his own.. One man's meat.. In this instance I swing both ways :w00t:. My Smoant Cylon has a very good chip in it, and the TC works well. I flashed my Lost Vape Paranormal 75c to get Replay and it really does work well.

On my updated Vandy Vape Pulse 80w's, I also updated the chip. It can do TC pretty well after being reflashed, however, for squonking which is new to me, I find wattage mode easier, I actually want to get the squonk flavor change cue that TC mitigates.

Other than squonking or non-TC compatible coils, I like TC and Replay.

Last edited:

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Not trying to be snarky or start a war...just curious as to whether I should bother with DNA if I already am happy with TC on "lesser" mods.
I bought a DNA mod not because it was DNA, but because it was the smallest single 18650 mod I could find. I no longer do TC, but when I did it on the DNA, I felt I could trust the temps were accurate (fyi- temp readings weren't that close to some cheaper mods I have) I quit bothering with it because I found that with my wattage/style, I never hit the more "dangerous" temps. And because I frequently change power depending on my mood- I start every day at about 8W in the am, and bump it throughout the day up to 9-11W - doing TC was a little too high-maintenance for me.

But whether you use TC or not, it's nice to know you have what's widely considered the highest quality board on the market - especially considering what a battery can do to you (and what you keep in your pants) if it's not managed properly. And I trust mine to charge on-board, just as much as I trust my Nitecore, so that's an added advantage (I still don't completely trust the batteries, though, so never unattended).

I do use other mods, so I'm definitely not shilling for DNA, but there are factors other than the actual vape quality it delivers to consider. I mean- hey, with all its other capabilities, I can't believe it doesn't have an on-board puff count reset, and other features cheaper boards offer! I'm not on-board with Replay yet, but if it, or its successor, nails consistency, I'm all for it. I no longer miss smoking, but I do miss the consistency & predictability of hitting a cigarette. Let the vape do the same thing every time, and let me adjust with the way I hit it - that's what I'd like.

Also, what @ShowerHead said.;)

Celt1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2018
USA
I bought a DNA mod not because it was DNA, but because it was the smallest single 18650 mod I could find. I no longer do TC, but when I did it on the DNA, I felt I could trust the temps were accurate (fyi- temp readings weren't that close to some cheaper mods I have) I quit bothering with it because I found that with my wattage/style, I never hit the more "dangerous" temps. And because I frequently change power depending on my mood- I start every day at about 8W in the am, and bump it throughout the day up to 9-11W - doing TC was a little too high-maintenance for me.

But whether you use TC or not, it's nice to know you have what's widely considered the highest quality board on the market - especially considering what a battery can do to you (and what you keep in your pants) if it's not managed properly. And I trust mine to charge on-board, just as much as I trust my Nitecore, so that's an added advantage (I still don't completely trust the batteries, though, so never unattended).

I do use other mods, so I'm definitely not shilling for DNA, but there are factors other than the actual vape quality it delivers to consider. I mean- hey, with all its other capabilities, I can't believe it doesn't have an on-board puff count reset, and other features cheaper boards offer! I'm not on-board with Replay yet, but if it, or its successor, nails consistency, I'm all for it. I no longer miss smoking, but I do miss the consistency & predictability of hitting a cigarette. Let the vape do the same thing every time, and let me adjust with the way I hit it - that's what I'd like.

Also, what @ShowerHead said.;)
From what you are saying, you really should try Replay.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
From what you are saying, you really should try Replay.
You're probably right. But I quit smokes a year ago, and have spent about $500 on tanks, mods, coil & wick equipment. I know that's not much compared to many here, but I currently only use about $70-80 worth of that. And I just got a new atty yesterday. I can most definitely afford it, but I'm a practical & pragmatic kind of guy, and hate to waste money. I sort of have - I don't know the word - but "guilty" comes closest, for all the junk I've bought sitting in drawers- in spite of being over $1,100 in the black in smoke savings. My buying curve is leveling out, as I've learned, and I need to "feel" more savings before I go all in on $100+ for a mod, and would have to be fairly certain that it'd serve me for a long time. The most I've spent on a single item is $50 for an Sbody Macro. So I'm going to just wait and see how this catches on, and improves. Plus, I only like very small mods, and none of the 75C mods really appeal to me now. If I were convinced that everyone loves it, and it's the thing, I probably would. Plus, 1st gen gets really cheap when 2nd gen comes out! But hey, I'm listening...that's why I'm on this thread - so convince me. :)

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
General comment, not targetted....

Im somewhat surprised that theres still people rubbishing TC around the traps, but then theres always people who didnt know or bother to learn how its supposed to work or the requirements, one of the most common issues is building stupid low ohm clapton builds of 316L and then going "tc is rubbish" and not bothering to learn what TCR actually means and how 316L has low measurable TC. Also that its not just the mod (finding a mod where you could edit the TCR was once tricky (thanks TreeBox Mini, you were among the first) and sometimes vendors used an incorrect TCR value - especially for 316L - getting less and less) or the wire, its also the tank and its connectivity and resistance reading stability...and you cant equate "well my tank works fine in wattage mode" with "TC is ....", because even a 0.05 resistance change at rest (cold) can be total pain for TC..so either your build or your tank, not TC.

But blame the tools/technology....its easier....

For those who bothered, and did simple things like build at 0.5 or above (my average is 0.6) theyve been having a trouble free TC vape for years, i have for at least 2 years, and as anyone who knows me knows i havent been near wattage mode in over 2 years and would rather die than go back to it and its variable results...what sane person would swap push button identical vaping every press for that....

And im hopefully soon going to get a 75c mod and try out Replay, my fear is that it wont be as revolutionary to me as ive not had a single issue with TC and ill have spent more money than i needed to :)

If you’ve been happy with TC then Replay won’t be revolutionary to you at least it hasn’t been for me. I’m still using TC. But you’ll have a new mod :)

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
If you’ve been happy with TC then Replay won’t be revolutionary to you at least it hasn’t been for me. I’m still using TC. But you’ll have a new mod :)

The more i think about it i wonder myself if i need to go for Replay, one thing that occurred to me is that from my understanding (which may be wonky) you have to do the Replay set/save every time you bung a new coil in? That if true is definitely a downside if youre me, someone who changes his TC temp maybe twice a year - once in winter (slight raise) and once in summer (return from winter setting)...i dont really want to give up that set and forget for fiddling every time i put a new build in...effectively back to the fiddling of wattage mode and you know how much i love that

Did i just talk myself out of a DNA75C mod? Possibly!

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
The other part of it besides changing atties is that I’m constantly changing the temps of my vape depending on the flavor of the moment.

I vape anywhere from 5-10 different flavors on any given day and all at different temps.

So it’s not much use for me. But a lot of people seem to love it. From what I read many people who didn’t want to “fiddle” with TC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread