Do I have to sacrifice flavor for throat hit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
batteries" data-source="post: 16091599" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
I know it doesn't come with a battery, anything else I should plan to pick up? My local vapor shop has one on hold for me to pick up tomorrow.
would suggest getting an external battery charger for the battery - you can charge it in the mod in a pinch, via usb, but will have better results with an external charger (nitecore is brand I have, fairly common and readily available in a number of sizes/ options - a one or two bay charger would be plenty)

opticruby

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
UK
+1 on the subox mini (thats the third time I've typed that tonight :?:), it really is a great piece of kit though. Tank is nice and plenty of watts on the mod to run the tank.

Shinyitis - I'm a long time sufferer myself :( but I like it :thumbs: one can never have enuff shiny things mods, rda's, tanks....It goes on and on :lol:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
So I'm not entirely new to vaping but I am entirely ignorant. I've tried to switch from cigarettes to vaping a few times without much success but I think I've narrowed down the issues.

I went from a Blue ecig to the generic starter kits they throw at you when you walk into the local vape shop. I think my lack of success is the equipment. And I've tried to browse the threads but honestly didn't understand most of what I read. I'm a very heavy smoker emotionally ready to make the switch.

What I want is a good throat hit but still get good flavor (if it matters, I prefer sweet, fruity flavors). I want the regular cigarettes to start tasting gross to me. It seems thus far I've had to choose one (throat hit) over the other (flavor).

So I figure it's an equipment issue. I also don't want huge clouds of smoke. Something portable that can move around in my purse without leaking, that I can find parts for.locally and easily. I'm currently using my boyfriend's and I seem to have to draw on it several times before getting a hit, I don't like that. He says it's normal, he says the one I'm using is made to smoke like that. He says it's called a pass through or something?

Also, it seems most of the ones I've tried don't last very long.

I'd also like to be able to remove the tip for cleaning since I wear lipstick. And I'd like to be able to change flavors easily.

Please break this down into idiot terms. I'm supposed to go this weekend to get the equipment I need.

Thank you!

In short, to answer the thread's question, no. There are steps that can be taken to improve the TH of any ejuice, no matter how sweet, creamy and yummy it is.

If you're working with "bought" ejuice, you are basically limited to, adding Flash, an additive by FlavourArt, which enhances the nicotine's TH -- if there is no nicotine, it won't work too well, but if there is some, it will enhance whatever is there. The description at ECX says it's a tobacco flavor, but it's reallly not; it's like a strong tobacco flavor ejuice... WITHOUT the tobacco flavor, just the TH.

Choose high-PG ejuice; it has far more TH than VG, and permits clear perception of the flavor as well as the TH.

Of course, the obvious thing is, use the highest nic you can tolerate -- for me that isn't much, 10mg, so I have to do all this stuff to enhance TH, since I like creamy sweet ejuice.

I've found that adding a little sweetener really brings a flavor forward; so if you have an ejuice that has good TH but isn't sweet enough, this would really fix that! I've *heard* that adding a small amount of PGA (high proof pure grain alcohol) can also help, but I've never tried that personally.

If you DIY instead of buying ejuice, all that still applies, but you have the opportunity to make the juice with the exact PG/VG ratio you want -- I use 85/15 PG/VG -- add the Flash, and use as much flavoring as makes it taste good *to you* -- my favorite recipe, all-day-vape, is nearly 30% flavor.

:thumb:
Andria

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
For a good starter kit, I'd recommend an iStick 30 or iTaste 2.0 or 3.0, plus an Aspire Nautilus tank. No, you don't have to sacrifice throat hit for flavor. PG (Propylene Glycol) is one of the components of e-juice, and it is both the flavor carrier and provides throat hit. Buy your juice with high PG and you'll be on the way. So does the nicotine content. If you're a heavy smoker, you're going to want fairly high nic in your juice anyway. If all else fails, a drop or two if pure grain alcohol in each bottle will up the throat hit a good bit. You can get that at the liquor store. It's powerful, keep it under 1% or so; just a drop or two in a 15ml bottle.

Last edited:

josh w

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2015
michigan
+1 on this thread. There are so many different options. I went through a ton of setups until I found one I liked and then spent the next six months tweaking pg/vg ratio and nic levels. 18mg nic on a sub tank is way to harsh for me. I'm using 6mg and normally 40/60 @ 26w on a .5 ohm. Works great for an ex pack a day + smoker. If you get brave you can play with mixing your own juices but this leads to even more possibilities. :lol: Just my .02

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I'm trying hard to understand OHMs because I know the kanger subox mini has a low OHM option, but I wind up very confused.

Ohms are the measurement of the resistance of the coil in the atomizer. Sub-ohm means that the resistance is less than 1 ohm.

If you are at all interested in doing the rebuildable atomizer thing, then for excellent flavor AND TH I would recommend the Kayfun Lite Plus for a tank, and an Achilles as a dripper, though frankly it's really more of a small tank, since it holds 2-2.5ml. That Achilles has a particularly intense TH; I had to decrease both my nic level (from 10mg to 9mg) and my usual wattage -- from 10w to something between 8 and 9 watts.

Andria

Reactions: mauricem00

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
I'm trying hard to understand OHMs because I know the kanger subox mini has a low OHM option, but I wind up very confused.
That's a complex subject, although you're in the right place if you want to know the answer. In general, and unless and until you start using rebuildable tanks, all you really need to know is higher ohms make a smoother and cooler vape and often more flavorful, while lower ohms make bigger clouds. So long as you are using replaceable coil heads in your tank, you won't have a lot of options because you'll be limited to the coils that fit your tank. Unless you are set on blowing huge clouds, subohm vaping (said the subohm vaper) is probably something you should leave for later. That said, there are good sub-ohm tanks with replaceable coil heads-- I recommend the iTaste iSub and the Kanger Sub Tank-- if you want to try. But you're going to get a hotter and fuller vape if you do. Going with rebuildable tanks, and I use nothing but, you have to understand a lot more about it. There are, for example, some mods that will not accept coils outside certain parameters. Battery safety is another issue, but it's nothing you need to worry about with replaceable coils and a regulated mod. If your coil is outside safe parameters, the mod won't fire.

thailand

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
I was kind of looking at a Kanger Subox mini, but I wonder if that's getting too big for my britches?
You will love the Subox. You'll need batteries, at least 2, and external charger, since I never trust USB charging...had quite a few USB connections go out on me, and you're fav juice. Definitely cut down on the nic by at LEAST 50%. I went from 12mg to 3 mg, max VG, and couldn't be happier.
You will love it, and since a lot of us either have the Subox, or something comparable, we are here to answer all your questions...heck, I still have questions myself!

thailand

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Ohms is a measure of electrical resistance. Think of it like a straw. If you try to drink a milkshake with a small diameter straw, it'll be difficult...lots of resistance. If you try to drink the same milkshake with a large diameter straw, it'll me much easier, not much resistance. Electric works the same way, larger wires give less resistance, small wires create resistance, assuming you're using the same wattage.
The kanger has a neat LED screen that shows the ohms, and will fire at 0.3 ohms and up. There is more to it obviously, but that's kinda the basic way to thing about ohms.

Hope that helps! And please feel free to ask any questions. You safety is our priority, especially when it comes to "sub-ohming".

vapee

Jun 8, 2015
I've read of some health concerns with adding alcohol to diy mixes but theyre maybe just theoretical as theres not been many problems surrounding it but in theory the alcohol can be vaporised which is not the healthiest way to consume any alcohol hehe. For throat hit you can increase the % of nicotine though just with lung hits you can end up losing the throat hit a bit but getting too much nicotine so it needs to be balanced.

thailand

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
Woo hoo! I love how much I am learning! I am SO EXCITED to quit smoking tomorrow! I'm glad to learn about sub OHM. I don't want clouds. Just loads of flavor and a moderate throat hit. And more vapor so I can go with a lower nicotine.

You'll get that with the Subox, pretty nice clouds, low nic, high flavor, and plenty of choice. The kit comes with different coil types, so you can see what you like best.
Remember to NEVER dry fire a coil, always make sure the wick is saturated before firing by putting a few drops of juice on it. If you dry fire, you burn the cotton, and get crappy flavor that'll never go away until you change out the cotton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread