Do's and Dont's for First Timers...from a Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaporPlas

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2011
Los Angeles
I have only been vaping a short time compared to many on ECF, but what really helped me make the complete switch to 100% vaping back in December (2011) was to start with my ecig in the morning, rather than an analog. Just seemed like whichever I started the day with ruled the roost for the rest of the day. Once I decided to vape first thing, before touching a cigarette, it was only a couple of days before I only vaped. : )

yardbyrd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2012
Carrollton, Georgia USA
I haven't tried the unflavored e-liquid -yet! I have a suggestion for you, though, depending on your set up. I vaped 36mg nic e-liquid for awhile. Even now if I get the super analog urge I drip some 36mg e-liquid. It is almost exactly like an analog, to me, and helped (helps) me when I have that bad urge. I've yet to find a vaping method that delivers the vapor and flavor of dripping. It's a little more short term -and some say a hassle- but it was key to me ditching the analogs. My rig: Riva 510 SE. Use a drip-o-mizer instead of an atty to drip.

PaporPlas

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2011
Los Angeles
I think I already said this, but it deserves being said again. Great post! I'm still a bit overwhelmed and confused. As much as I try to understand I can't get the ohm's thing. : o

Vaping definitely takes a bit more work to figure out then finding out which brand of cigs to smoke. : /

So, your advice here is very well stated and needed. : )

As a fellow noob, I would also add to your list--Don't Get Overwhelmed. The price didn't scare me off, but the overload of information almost did.

When I first came on here and saw all the terms and choices--PG, VG, 510, 808, cartomizer, tank, nic levels, VV, etc. I almost ran for the hills. It seemed so complicated and so much work compared to opening a pack of analogs. But since I really wanted this to work, I told myself I didn't have to learn everything the first day. I tried to sort out the information I needed to get started from the information that would be necessary to take the next steps on my vaping journey. I didn't want to start out filling Boge cartridges (although I've moved onto using them with a drip tip and I love it). That was too intimidating right off the bat. I didn't need to know the condom method that first week. I could buy pre-filled cartridges and just see if I liked this whole vaping thing. So I bought a vapor king, screwed the atty to the battery, stuck a pre-filled cartridge to it and I was good to go. That simple.

I also ordered sample juices and empty cartridges, which I started using on Day Three or Four, but for those first few days, I kept it simple and manageable. Once I knew that vaping was something I enjoyed and found that it replaced my need and desire for analogs, I came back to learn more tricks and techniques, bought a couple of craft storage boxes to hold my cartridges, batteries, attys, etc. Bought a couple of essential oil binders to hold my juices (extra nice because I can pick the whole thing up and shake it a couple times a day instead of individually shaking each bottle of juice). And I ordered a Joye eGo C and a Joye eGo T because I like to use the C at home and the T when I'm running around and want something small and thin that fits neatly in my pocket. I also ordered Stardust cartos and they work great for me.

Today is my eleventh day without analogs and I feel great. Every day I come on here and read a little more, learn a little more, meet a few new people, but by doing it a little at a time, I don't feel swamped with information and I can enjoy vaping without feeling like I'm in a country where everyone speaks the language except me.

PaporPlas

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2011
Los Angeles
Hello Everyone,
I start vaping a week ago today, I should have started years ago, but I didn’t know. A good friend said to me “ why don’t you try the e-cigarettes“.
I took it to heart and started researching and came across ECF and some of the old timers were suggesting to the babies that they may like the ego, of course I didn’t know what the eGo was at the time, so I Google “ego“.
To make a long store short I bought an eGo-T kit and 3 bottles of 10ml @ 23mgs, but I found out that I need 36mgs for the morning hour, because I smoke 3-4 analogs back to back to back to get my nicotine level up and then I am okay with the 23mg for the rest of the day.
On the first of June I plan on buying another eGo kit; the C kit, and a couple of bottles of 36 mg to use for the morning hour, and totally stop using the analogs forever.
History: I’m been smoking right at 45 years and the last 15 years I've been using RYO analogs, because I like the higher nicotine and I like using nicotine (did I already say that?).

Thanks for listening.

PS. does anyone vape the nicotine base without using flavoring?

How's it going Zee?

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Hello Everyone,

PS. does anyone vape the nicotine base without using flavoring?

There are probably many of us that vape unflavored. Some switched because of expense/equipment longevity or hassle with flavors chosen. I switched almost right away based on wanting to smell or taste things that I hadn't in years. If it's hard to adjust to for you, just put some sucrose or menthol or something in it to start.

You HAVE to buy the right nic tho. Alot of base has some taste or smell that's covered by the flavoring. I get mine here:
    E-Liquid - One Stop DIY Shop Store

I've ordered from here many times and it's ALWAYS odorless/tasteless.

BarTendor

Verified Member
    Apr 29, 2012
    Levittown! PA
    I agree samples are the way to start...and just like anolog ( stinkies) where people have one brand for life... most I have talk to seem to find and like one flavor... But you gotta try them to find them... I started mixing and even now I find myself mixing the one I like most... But I do continue to try new favors... Maybe I will find one I like better...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Zee Zelot

May 4, 2012
    Georgia, USA
    Hello Everyone,
    Thanks to all, and a double Thank You to ParorPlas for asking how things are going.
    I read the EFC tutorial on how to vape, which was very helpful, I was vaping like I smoke, therefore I was not getting all the available nicotine.
    I have also went from the 24mg to the 36mg.
    For the last week I have been studying DIY and next month I will start doing it myself.
    At the moment I am using 2 eGo-t’s, but they get to hot, because I vape continually when I am at home, but when I am out and about they are okay, so I would like to get something a little heavier for the house that doesn‘t cost a arm and a leg.
    Any suggestions?

PaporPlas

ECF Veteran
    Dec 27, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Hello Everyone,
    Thanks to all, and a double Thank You to ParorPlas for asking how things are going.
    I read the EFC tutorial on how to vape, which was very helpful, I was vaping like I smoke, therefore I was not getting all the available nicotine.
    I have also went from the 24mg to the 36mg.
    For the last week I have been studying DIY and next month I will start doing it myself.
    At the moment I am using 2 eGo-t’s, but they get to hot, because I vape continually when I am at home, but when I am out and about they are okay, so I would like to get something a little heavier for the house that doesn‘t cost a arm and a leg.
    Any suggestions?

Hey Zee,

I'd think about chilling on the 36mg - that's heart stopper. : o lol

Try some of these CE2's - they really deliver on the flavor and throat hit, and allowed me to cut my nic from 24mg to 12mg.

LeCig - 3XL Dual Coil Clearomizers

and

This is a nice VV:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...lt-tube-2-batteries-2200-mah-under-100-a.html

OregonYeti

Verified Member
    May 5, 2012
    Corvallis, Oregon
    I have had a good start, with a recommendation from a coworker for which e-cig to buy and a lot of help here on the rest of the details. I don't miss tobacco. Almost 2 weeks now.

The coworker recommended the Halo G6 e-cig and I am happy with it. Just before I started, I checked here and got advice on a starting nic level. I was smoking camel lights and was going to start with 12 mg liquid but changed it to 18 instead. Great recommendation! It was a smooth transition.

I was going to use "tobacco-flavored" liquid but got candy and cocktail flavors based on recommendations here. Great recommendation! The tobacco imitations taste nasty, if you ask me. By the way, I love ECBlend's cherry and twinkie flavors, and TastyVapors's Pina Colada.

I got the bigger batteries, and manual switch instead of automatic. I haven't tried automatic, but I am happy with the manual.

I am refilling cartomizers and gradually reducing my nicotine concentration--I've gone from 18 mg to 15 so far. It's a little bit of a challenge but not a problem. I calculate the nic level mixing x number of drops of 0, 18 and 24 strength.

This is great! Tobacco sucks. By the way, I tried a couple of camel lights at first, to see if I missed them, but I really didn't.

Last edited:

PaporPlas

ECF Veteran
    Dec 27, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I have had a good start, with a recommendation from a coworker for which e-cig to buy and a lot of help here on the rest of the details. I don't miss tobacco. Almost 2 weeks now.

The coworker recommended the Halo G6 e-cig and I am happy with it. Just before I started, I checked here and got advice on a starting nic level. I was smoking camel lights and was going to start with 12 mg liquid but changed it to 18 instead. Great recommendation! It was a smooth transition.

I was going to use "tobacco-flavored" liquid but got candy and cocktail flavors based on recommendations here. Great recommendation! The tobacco imitations taste nasty, if you ask me. By the way, I love ECBlend's cherry and twinkie flavors, and TastyVapors's Pina Colada.

I got the bigger batteries, and manual switch instead of automatic. I haven't tried automatic, but I am happy with the manual.

I am refilling cartomizers and gradually reducing my nicotine concentration--I've gone from 18 mg to 15 so far. It's a little bit of a challenge but not a problem. I calculate the nic level mixing x number of drops of 0, 18 and 24 strength.

This is great! Tobacco sucks. By the way, I tried a couple of camel lights at first, to see if I missed them, but I really didn't.

Sounds like you are on track! And, yes, Tobacco flavor sucks. LOL

BTW...you mtb....Yeti? And, in Oregon, none the less....

OregonYeti

Verified Member
    May 5, 2012
    Corvallis, Oregon
    BTW...you mtb....Yeti? And, in Oregon, none the less....

I have done a lot of mountain biking, but I don't have a bike at the moment. I started this OregonYeti name a long time ago on another site, since I did a lot of hiking in the Himalayas (where the yeti is from) and I'm in Oregon now :)

Congrats on the starting.....I am on 2 months of "quitting" and loving it....things smell better, taste better, and I cant believe the amount of junk that was in my lungs! LOL

You are absolutely right...only buy maybe 3 bottles right off the bat....after seeping and oxidation they lose flavor if you go too long. Also, depending on your level of analog, go with a higher level of nicotine at first...helps knock out all cravings and keeps you on the path...then ween yourself down to a better level.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread