Drip-On-Demand-Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDDIE D

ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2010
FLORIDA
a little update since yesterday, i pm'd with scinsc and looks like i was wrong with my analysis of the DoD mod. i thought the juice wasn't dripping fast enough for the 4.8v so i dropped to the 3.7v and it seemed like the atty was dry all the time. well, vaping at the higher voltage it's kind of hard and strong, like sucking a golfball through a garden hose. doing it at a lower voltage it's a long weak inhale and doesn't extract so much juice. anyways, i've done 4.8v all day and the unit's been working well for me today, rarely manually priming. great mod, so much easier than manually having to drip, especially in the car.

dragit

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2011
Wyoming
Glad to hear good things. I hopefully will have mine Wednesday or Thursday (hoping Wednesday) and i'll give a full review andmay even do my first video to demonstrate to everyone how and how well it works on a 3.7 RS.

I think i may mainly stick to a eGo or 510 for the road with filled carto's. With my record I dont think the officer would really believe me when i told him what it was hahaha.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
Received mine today, and aside from looking weird (considering my favorite PV look like a pipe bomb or the detonator for one, not a major consideration :)) it's vaping great. An occasional squeeze but not nearly as often as dripping. It may be I just don't trust the auto-feed just yet.....

I had given up attys because of carts and dripping wasn't automatic enough, but this is a game changer.
I'm enjoying my attys again!!

One complaint, very minor, where are the DoD's for 801 and ego B-type attys??
Those were always my favorite for flavor and vapor production. Maybe next batch ??? I hope !!! :lol:

sugismimi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
SOUTH CAROLINA
I received an email today about a problem with the DoD flooding. There are three things that can cause this;
1) Over squeezing the bottle when the atty is already primed.
2) Not having the dropper tip properly secured to the bottle after fill-up.
3) Over tightening when attaching the bottle onto the DoD and causing it to split.

In this case there was a split in the thread area of the bottle. Replaced the bottle, problem solved.
We spent a great deal of time and effort on finding just the right bottle for the DoD. The one we use is by far the best for this application. I wouldn’t say that it is fragile but it isn’t bullet proof either. My recommendation is to screw the bottle in until it stops. Any force beyond that is unnecessary and might cause it to split.

It is always a very good idea to carefully inspect the bottle after every reload to make sure the dropper tip is secure and you don’t see any cracks. Go to the MadVapes site about the DoD and click on our web site for more information.

Thanks to all for the great comments. SC
Hi Y'all,
My DOD is the LEAKER!!!
I don't think it had anything to do with the actual unit as much as it had to do with ME PUSHING THE DRIP TIP BACK IN WAY TOO HARD. In trying to make sure it was on tightly I wound up squishing the bottle till all the , (well not all but enough to get a good squirt going) liquid came out of the top!
I have since then used less force(heehee) and have been a very happy vaporer( is that a word ) who can now leave all my little baggies at home.
sugismimi

EDDIE D

ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2010
FLORIDA
well, i was messing around with my car in the parking lot today, 95+ degrees, and my unit was sitting inside the car. like it was said, do NOT leave it where it will get hot or the liquid will expand and squirt out. after i was vaping, doing 4.8v the vapor was diminished and there was a slight gurgle, so i popped the DoD off to give it a peak. my atty was full to the top with juice. usually i have my ecig inside all ac'd up and so i wasn't expecting the overflow, nice lesson to learn the hard way.

one tip i got from scinsc, he noticed i use a driptip and suggested i put that white ring pushed in before i put on the driptip to aid in the suction. the smaller hole will do a little bernoulli's principle with all the convergent/divergent crap and pull more juice down or something, if any of you all had a problem with the atty getting dry.

pwyll

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2011
Frank's ford, in the Caintuck
For christ sake people you cant even buy a candy bar for under a dollar anymore!

Well, it's not hard to buy a candy bar for under a dollar around here--in fact I won't pay more than 50 cents for one (regular size, anyway). But everything else you said? Spot on.

My jaw actually dropped seeing someone complain about this being over-priced when "the competition" is "even made out of metal." Yes--and that competition costs more four times as much and isn't automatic. I think it says a great deal that of the people complaining none have bought--and of the people who've bought none have complained about the price/value after having it in hand.

sugismimi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
SOUTH CAROLINA
In reading thru the thread I noticed a note about the drip tip and white cap. I have been bothered by not getting a good drip, and I didn't put the drip tip into consideration, and it not making a good suction. It seems like the tip fits in there fine, but it just doesn't have the seal. So, when I get back home i will get the white cap out of my whatever basket and push it down and use the drip tip. I'll have to let ya know how that works, and indeed if it works better.
i'm sure it will, if SCinSC said it will, then it will, rite??!!
mimi

scinsc

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2010
USA
Use of a drip tip, is fine. But since the opening in the drip tip is larger than the rubber tip supplied with the DoD you could lose a small amount of suction. Very small. Almost all air leaks come from the connection between the atty and the battery. I am sure we have all had “airy” atties and cartomizers at one time. As Eddie said if you ever feel that you need more suction take the little white mouth tip and push it down into the mouth shaft of the DoD. Just far enough to allow you to put the drip tip back on. I had a very "airy" atty one time and that little trick made a difference. Best advice? Use a different atty.

StotheK

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2011
Knoxville
www.stevevape.com
Heya everybody,

The review of the ray gun... err DoD kit ;-) was posted today. I figured I'd come here and share. You can check it out at Drip on Demand e-Cigarette Auto Feed Attachment: Impressions with pictures and formatting and all that jazz, or just read the text which I posted right below.

Drip on Demand e-Cigarette Auto Feed Attachment: Impressions

The Drip on Demand auto feed system is an e-cigarette attachment that aims to take some of the work out of direct dripping. The odd gizmo is also useful for keeping cartomizers topped off and prevent burning. For the price of very confused stares by passers by, the DoD offers to do your dripping for you.

A lot of people are huge fans of dripping e-liquid directly into their e-cigarette atomizers. Many claim this is the best method to deliver optimum flavor and vapor from their setup. I've done my share of dripping (mostly for the purposes of reviewing atomizers), and while it often produces nice results, I find the process less than pleasant.

Carting a bottle around to drip liquid into my atomizer every few puffs can be a little annoying at times. I prefer the fill and go convenience of cartomizers. I'm also apparently not well coordinated. I frequently struggle to find the sweet spot of dripping and end up gagging because my atomizer has run dry, or wiping juice off my hand and battery because I went a little crazy with the dripping.

Design
There's no way to sugar coat this one, the Drip on Demand looks flat out strange. When I posted pictures on Twitter I got comments that ranged from "awesome" to people comparing it to bongs or crack pipes. The DoD is definitely a function over form kind of device.

Nothing to see here
The system comes with the main body which attaches to your atomizer or cartomizer like a drip tip, two 5ml bottles and 2 rubber plugs (just like the ones you pull out of your cartomizers and throw away). A standard drip tip will fit into the stem in lieu of the included rubber discs. Additional 5 and 10ml bottles can be purchased inexpensively from MadVapes.

The concept works thusly: the device is a molded plastic piece that consists of an air chamber into which the bottle is screwed. The vacuum created when puffing on the stem draws liquid out of the bottle to replenish that which was used when puffing. Should your atomizer run dry a gentle (seriously, a very light touch) squeeze will get things going again.

Does it Actually Work?

Quite a getup
The DoD does actually deliver on performance most of the time. There are a few variations and limitations to how well this device performs. As with many things, the performance will vary depending on factors such as the hardware (and voltage) you are using and the type of liquid you have loaded into the bottle.

The bottles are one of the key secrets to making this thing work. The maker of the product spent a lot of time attempting to find the right bottle. A soft bottle that drips with very little effort was required to make the auto-feeding feature work.

I ran into a few bottle-related issues with my DoD system. A couple were related to the bottle being so soft. It's actually pretty tricky to get the dropper top to seat properly in the bottle because the bottle just wants to squish when you apply any force to the top. Possibly related to this, my first bottle ended up splitting at the thread connector after a few uses. Fortunately, replacements are dirt cheap.

The last bottle issue has to do with that dropper tip. As is the case with most juice bottles, the rate of drippage can vary with different tops. This is usually because of variances in the tiny pinhole on the bottom of the cap (the end that goes into the bottle) I found that running a small needle through that hole generally improved the drip rate a great deal. Be careful, too big a needle and the bottle will drip uncontrollably, constantly flooding your atomizer.

Tapered design for universal fit
The rate of dripping is important to how well this device will work for you. This is especially true when you are running higher voltage devices. I found the DoD struggled when I was using devices at 5v and above. This makes sense because you tend to go through a lot of juice when you turn up the heat. Running even low resistance gear at 3.7 didn't seem to give me nearly as much of a hard time as the high voltage setup.

The last factor in determining how well the auto drip aspect of the DoD can keep up is the atomizer itself. Because the whole concept relies on vacuum to work, the more of it there is the better the results. That is to say, atomizers and cartomizers that have a tighter draw naturally are going to provide a better flow than airy devices which will produce weak suction.

Naturally, just squeezing the bottle (or taking a drag without pressing the fire button on your e-cigarette) will rectify any issues with the DoD not keeping up the pace. Generally, I find even when I do have to squeeze the Charmin on occasion, it's still more convenient than dripping directly. The only other nit I can pick at this point is that the vast distance your vapor has to travel to get to your mouth will cool the vapor significantly.

Too Long; Didn't Read
The Drip on Demand system will make your e-cigarette look absolutely pants-on-head bizarre. While you may not want to use this thing while driving for fear of getting pulled over, it's a better alternative than trying to drip and drive. Depending on the gear you match this thing up with, you may have a completely hands-free auto feeding e-cigarette, or you might have to squeeze the bottle every now and again to get your juices flowing. If you prefer convenience over looking strange (or you're a hipster and WANT to look strange) then this may be a device of interest.

Pros:

Mess free dripping
Carry around 5 or 10ml of liquid
Inexpensive replacement bottles
Be the focus of conversation wherever you go
Cons:
Weird looks
May not auto-feed optimally for every setup
Bottles fairly fragile
Details:
Product Name: Drip on Demand
Manufacturer: Drip on Demand
Purchased From: Mad Vapes
Price: $16.99
Capacity: 5ml (10ml bottles available for purchase separately)
Compatibility: Most 510 and 901 atomizer and cartomizers (cartomizer use is "experimental" according to DoD)

bobsyeruncle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Sep 5, 2010
    in a cave, eh?
    Just got mine today. I was a little confused about the setup as there was no picture on the instruction form that came with it. And the instruction page was faded out. So, in my first attempt, I did not attach the dripper tip to the bottle. I ended up dumping a lot of juice into my PV. Ah, well. Lesson learned. I had to refer back to the MadVapes site to see what the cartomizer caps were for, but I think I'll stick with my drip tip anyway.

It seems to be working ok now, though. I have to squonk it regularly to keep the juice going. At 4.5 volts (regulated) taking a hit when the atomizer starts to run out is nasty. Attached to an atomizer and drip tip, it stands 4 inches coming out of my Provari. It looks like a little tree. :D

There was a question earlier about 801 atomizers. Super T Manufacturing has got 801 -> 510 drip tip adapters for the Vape Mate for $9.99 US. (I'm not sure how to best help any 801 users without mentioning the competition's product, sorry. :( The Vape Mate is waaaaay more expensive, though.) Digital Ciggz carries 306 -> 510 drip tip adapters.

I'll be playing with it some more, but it's pretty neat so far. :)

Last edited:
    Afterone day of use, I'm ready to toss it. I'm using a 2.5 atomizer and Madvapes Kona and it will NOT keep the atty wet. I get maybe 3-4 puffs then dry atty hit and that burns! I have to constantly keep squeezing the bottle to try to keep the atty wet and still can't manage to do that. This is like work....

Supposed to be simple, fill the bottle, make sure the tip is tight, screw it on the DOD, put it on the atty, put it on the battery and vape...Am I the only one that calls this a failure?

Edited to add: Yup, I primed the atty before I attached it. Forgot to say that yesterday.

Last edited:

bobsyeruncle

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Sep 5, 2010
    in a cave, eh?
    Well, I'm still playing around with it. It's not keeping the atty wet for me, either. I take a few puffs, squeeze the bottle for a few seconds (make sure it gets a good squonk, eh) and go again. It's a little more convenient than dripping. But, I haven't had it long enough to say it's a failure, yet. It's not automatic, but so far it seems ok. I hadn't even thought of replacing the drip tip with the cartomizer cap to improve the suction.

Last edited:

Stosh

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 2, 2010
    Nevada
    I've been using mine for a little less than a week. It works wonderfully, but as far as
    automatic I'm very confused. I DIY my own juice, 50/50 mix so I have consistent viscosity.

I've found some flavors need a little squeeze after an hour or more of vaping, some I need
    to squeeze every 15 minutes. And both juices made from the same base nicotine stock, same
    flavor % added. There must be some differences in the bottle's nipple tips, as all other variables
    PV, voltage, how much is chain vaping, how I draw on the PV, drip tips.

Overall I am extremely pleased with the performance, a squeeze once an hour, or half hour vs.
    dripping, juggling a bottle, every 5-10 minutes.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Hickory, NC
    I've had one of these for a couple days now. I've been known to use a homemade box mod in public but, even I would be self-conscious using this gadget in public. My wife says it looks like a crack pipe. Not that she's ever seen a crack pipe. Besides, it's a little cumbersome for out and about. I might use it driving on a long trip though.

I've been using it on a madvapes VV box mod. Usually with this device, I use a 901 on an adapter at 4.7V and drip. There's very little suction. So, I have to squeeze the bottle every few hits. I tried it with a straight 510 as well. That provided more suction but, still a little too dry for me. For the money, I'm not sorry I bought it but, it's not that much different than dripping. I just don't have to aim. It leaks just a little around where the bottle screws into the device. That may get better as I learn to use it but, it's not enough to turn me off either way. It's really the life of the bottle that will determine whether I use it long term.

The thing is the perfect device would allow you control suction to regulate feeding. That would be the GG UFS or AVS. By all reports, those are very expensive, very complicated, and have a steep learning curve. Not really the way madvapes rolls usually.

hoogie76

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 1, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Excellent feedback. Thanks :)

I use mine all the time and every once in a while I've got to give the bottle a squeeze but for me it's a lifesaver when driving and replced trying to juggle a bottle to refill a carto or atty especially at night. I no longer have to lick :blush: the top of my pv for overfills and missed drops because I can't find a napkin to wipe it off.

hoog

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread