Dumbest mistakes you've made in vaping (beginners to advanced)

Status
Not open for further replies.

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
I've made many but the one worth mentioning for safety's sake.........I was fine tuning a coil and picked up a pair of metal tweezers. I made sure I released the power button before contacting the coil but for some reason......the 3rd time I did just the opposite. I contacted the coil then pressed the power button! Holy Begeezus, the coil flew away at the speed of light. Couldn't even tell you which direction it went in, it just disappeared. Fortunately, I was wearing jeweler's goggles but that flying piece of metal could have hit my mouth or worse yet, fly up my nose.

Moral to the story: If you're going to build coils prepare yourself with ALL the proper tools. Don't skimp like I did.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Years ago in the early vaping period where tobacco stores were hyping the new e-cigs I made the mistake of pinching pennies.

So a new 5 pack of cartridges was $14. A cartridge could last about 3 days. That was about $28 a month. A carton of cigarettes at that time were about $25 and lasted one week.

Yet I tried reaching day 4 with those cartridges like each puff was a buck 95 or something. After a few had failed I stopped vaping. "Costs too much" I thought.

Later when I resumed I checked out current cig-a-likes and saw the pre-filled cartridges at tobacco stores were about the same as cigarettes. Phooey on that. Refillable man. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Fast forward a few ticks and cost does not enter my mind at all. By being free of that burden I pick out flavors I like, use pods I like and just enjoy the experience. Not being hung up on sweet, dark sauce pops coils faster or 2 new pod tanks cost $6 type of thinking I just roll with it. Knowing today it was less expensive to vape than smoke, along with who knows how many tens of thousands in potential medical costs won't happen from smoking I just enjoy vaping.

The best part to using refillable is that I choose what strength, what mixture and what flavor instead of those yucky pre-filled numbers that taste like smoking a pancake with each choke inducing puff.

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
Just remembered a typical dumb move on my part just because I'm a sucker for a bargain. When I learned about using rayon for wicks I went to my local Sally's Beauty Supplies store and bought 500 ft of CelluCotton.
Graham-CelluCotton-Beauty-Coil-500FT-100-Rayon-Fibers.jpg

Turns out I mainly use cotton. If you want to leave your full name I can include you in my will.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Forgetting more than once that not glowing isn't the same as not hot.
I learned that the hard and very painful way at age 20. First apartment. Turned on electric burner. Never cooked much less saw an electric burner. It was not red so I placed my hand on it (dumb kid) palm side down to see if it was on and or working. Burned it pretty bad.

Now that I use rba/rta's I am super careful if I dry burn the coils or fire them up to check anything.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Just remembered a typical dumb move on my part just because I'm a sucker for a bargain. When I learned about using rayon for wicks I went to my local Sally's Beauty Supplies store and bought 500 ft of CelluCotton.

Turns out I mainly use cotton. If you want to leave your full name I can include you in my will.
Funny! That's a lot of rayon. I've never gotten around to trying it. When I looked into it most recommend 10 feet of it. Did you not like it over cotton? Funny!

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY

Hey, at least you didn't buy the 3 lb box. That would pass down four generations.

gwink

ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2018
utah
Thinking my mod is broken when trying to vape at 6 on a falcon tank, no vape there.
Vaping after coil change and getting no vape and realizing the afc is closed then opening it up to find I've just fried a brand new coil.
Just yesterday I was being rushed by the wifey when rewicking and forgetting to juice, cotton taste terrible when burnt

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I got a new mod in the mail. I had an atomizer coiled and wicked, squonk bottle at the ready, all just waiting. I threw that baby on there and started to vape away expecting the greatest vape of all time. Nothing! I messed with that atomizer, the coil, that 510 connection, moved the positive contact screw, everything I could conjure up. Complete frustration! For what ever reason, I opened the battery door to do something, take a guess.

Thinking my mod is broken when trying to vape at 6 on a falcon tank, no vape there.
Vaping after coil change and getting no vape and realizing the afc is closed then opening it up to find I've just fried a brand new coil.
Just yesterday I was being rushed by the wifey when rewicking and forgetting to juice, cotton taste terrible when burnt

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
Maybe putting my mod in my pocket and have the fill door open halfway on a tfv 8 and then pull it out and hit it really hard, sucking about half the juice into my mouth. Yeah, maybe that.
Oh yes, I have had that happen on my TFV4 and my original Bachelor tanks. Those swing aways like to........well, swing! Put a vape band around it, lol.

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
Absolutely biggest mistake was being a dual user for so many years.
My health would be much better now had I given up cigarettes in 2011 when I started vaping :(
Hey, I was a dual user for a year. No mistakes, you're here now:)and that's a good thing. Congratulations.

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
Funny! That's a lot of rayon. I've never gotten around to trying it. When I looked into it most recommend 10 feet of it. Did you not like it over cotton? Funny!
It has its uses but yes, I prefer cotton. Comes in handy when you need your wick to not sag under a horizontal mesh coil.

mountaingal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2012
Tennessee and ports on the East Coast
I work on a boat and vape inside all the time. I put my mod somewhere and couldn't find it for two weeks! It was hidden behind some pillows in the dinette. Luckily, I keep three mods going at a time. I was worried though, the owners of the boat have no idea I vape. The reason I do not tell them is because of the grandkids, they might tell me not to do it in the boat. And, if the happened it would negate one of the reasons I vape.

RichardV

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2012
The Golden Isles of Georgia, USA
When I started vaping it was with V2 cigalikes. I actually lit the end of one with my lighter! Scratch one battery. A few days later I was vaping in my truck while driving at 55 mph, I finished vaping and flicked it out of the window. Scratch the second battery.
I have also kissed a coil or two.:-x

I have no idea why the next lines are here, I removed them twice with edits.

To approve a single suggestion, mouse over it and click "✔"
Click the bubble to approve all of its suggestions.

I have no idea why the next lines are here, I removed them twice with edits.

I had the same problem, I then realised my tin foil hat was on backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread