Travel and Vaping E-smoking on an airplane?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceCadet

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2009
Scotland
Continental's in-flight magazine specifically states that use of electronic smoking devices is prohibited on board its aircraft. That was in the November issue - they were quick to catch on! I still had a quick 'n' sneaky vape on the EWR-MCO flight, it was very relaxing watching the beautiful sunset over Florida, icy margarita in hand, taking little draws and keeping it in long enough not to exhale any evidence!

SpaceCadet

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2009
Scotland
Space Cadet, I am EWR based and did my share of Orlando flights in November.. I may have flown you down there! Do you know what type of aircraft you flew on?
Hello! It was a 757-500 I think, certainly some kinda 757 (had winglets!), and it left EWR on 9th November about 3pm or so :D

That would be kinda crazy if you'd flown that! Was a very nice flight too :thumb:

maxlawbr

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2008
I flew from Sao Paulo (Brasil), to Miami with aeromexico (Mexico City, Merida and miami) and returned from Orlando.

I don`t have any problem, flew with a lot of e-cigs, and no problem.

I e-smoke in the plane, drink a lot of wine and everything is all right.

My only problem is that I can`t only e-smoke, I still use analog devices, and I'm very ...... up with it.

Where I can find some info to help me with analog devices.

Thanks a lot,

Max

I've smoked my penstyle alot on planes and never got stopped carrying it on with all the juice and extra batteries in my carry-on.

I've been traveling with my screwdriver lately though.

On my flight 3 days ago I showed it to the flight attendants in the back and smoked with them, they thought it was great.

Today I got stopped by TSA, they thought the screwdriver batteries were bullets. So they pulled out my whole kit: liquid, carts, batteries/charger. Once they realized the batteries weren't bullets I demonstrated for them w/ a few smokes. They thought it was very interesting (a friendly kind of interesting).

Everyone who I've shown who is either a flight attendant or TSA employee asks where to get them, I refer them to puresmoker.com and this website. No hostility yet.

SpaceCadet

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2009
Scotland
If it had winglets and was a 757, it was a 757-200. I did work on the 9th but not to MCO. DAMN!
Yeah, 757-200 sounds right - it was the same type of plane we flew out of Glasgow on. Shame you hadn't flown us to MCO, I don't know when I'll next be flying with Continental - next trip is with Virgin Atlantic, but I still get Onepass miles :)

I'm about 300 miles from a free domestic flight too, but I'm hanging on for a free transatlantic for better value!

Incidentally, I was annoyed to see my favourite bar at EWR (Sam Adams) was shut down to be turned into a wine bar. It was really close to my fave smoking area too. When the checkpoint was quiet I could easily do bar->outside->smoke->checkpoint->back to bar in like 15 mins! That was before vaping came along full time though.

So today, after vaping from SDF-DFW, I decide to check the in-flight magazine and see if there is any mention of e-cigs. Lo and behold, there is a statement that says any devices that could interfere with the safe operation of the aircraft, including e-cigarettes, are not allowed to be used in flight. No stews have busted me yet, but decided discretion is the better form of valor from here on.
Fortunately vaping does not set off the smoke detector in the lav!

Tasdad

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2009
Pittsburg, KS
there is a statement that says any devices that could interfere with the safe operation of the aircraft, including e-cigarettes, are not allowed to be used in flight.

I haven't read all 19 pages of this thread, so forgive me if this has been asked before, but exactly how does an e-cig interfere with the safe operation of an aircraft? We have pilots in this forum who vape while flying their planes.

Is there a hidden transmitter in my e-cig? 8-o

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
Here's an article about vaping in Illinois bars.

E-cigarettes fad lets smokers indoors again - News

A patron smokes an e-cigarette at The Blind Pig, a bar in Champaign, on Wednesday. These cigarettes don't burn tobacco or create smoke.
Media Credit: Trevor Greene
A patron smokes an e-cigarette at The Blind Pig, a bar in Champaign, on Wednesday. These cigarettes don't burn tobacco or create smoke.

Inside The Blind Pig Company in downtown Champaign, a group of University graduate students sit smoking cigarettes. Seemingly contradictory to the Illinois indoor smoking ban, these smokers are once again able to take a puff indoors.

For $50, a person can purchase an e-cigarette kit that includes one electronic cigarette, two battery chargers, and 10 cartridges that can either be filled with flavor or a type of nicotine. Additional containers of liquid can be bought for $10 per container.

Matt Garley was the first one of the group to find out about e-cigarettes. Then he introduced them to his friends Benjamin Slade and Lisa Pierce, all graduate students.

"That container would last me about a month, so if you think about it you pay sometimes five bucks for a pack of cigarettes and this is just ten," Pierce said.

Depending on the Web site, there are a variety of different colors of e-cigarettes and numerous flavors; Marlboro, Camel, apple, coffee, mint and chocolate are a few.

E-cigarettes are not yet being sold at Discount Smoke Shop, Smoke Shack, Jon's Pipe Shop or Undercover.

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
I haven't read all 19 pages of this thread, so forgive me if this has been asked before, but exactly how does an e-cig interfere with the safe operation of an aircraft? We have pilots in this forum who vape while flying their planes.

Is there a hidden transmitter in my e-cig? 8-o

It doesn't. I think the issue is that it looks so much like the real thing, that they are afraid others will assume it is real smoking and then the flight crew will have to deal with issues.

bwood12043

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2008
East Texas
I recently flew Continental Airlines from Tyler Texas to Louisville Kentucy with layover at Houston Intercontinental (long 3.5 hour layover)

It was a very sad/high stress trip to a family baby funeral, so I was just about crazy and needed my fix to help get me through.

I carried with me in carry on, three penstyles, extra batteries and liquid along with USB power pack and pass throughs (there were two of us, so needed a lot) No problems with security, no problems vaping in restaurant on concouse in Houston airport and no problem taking a few vapes on the plane.

On such short notice, the only suite available to us our first night was a no-smoking suite, but we vaped continuously with no problems.

Of note, one of our checked bags contained nothing but chargers, extra atomizers, extra batteries, my SD and it's batteries/chargers, power strips, etc etc. TSA did put notice in suitcase that they checked bag, but I did not hear of any issues they had with all of that. A full suitcase worth (I knew there would be several family members who would need the vaping and in a rush, might not have packed all they needed so I took all I could gather together)

After a dreadful 5 days in a strange town, I started the return trip on Saturday. Again, no problems at check in, long layover in Houston, with no issues and not even a curiousity seeker asking questions as I vaped in a chair at the gate. Boarded and vaped (discreetly) on the plane with no problems.

I think the word is getting out a bit or folks are again becoming unobservant of what their fellow flyers are doing (scary thought !).

Just my experience, but it was a blessing to be able to get my calming hit without the hassle of going in/out of security like a swinging door, which to me would seem more suspicious than a small electronic vaping device.

Good luck to all that travel with their devices. My ecig was actually the least problematic part of my travel itinerary.

I'm new to all of this. I completed a trip to Seoul Korea just a week before I learned of "vaping a digital". Wow! This thing should could have helped out on that 14 hour flight!

So, here's my question regarding smoking in the lav - I've noticed that the PG fog doesn't melt into the air completely, I can see it floating in the sunbeam of my office window for several minutes afterwards. What happens when you open the lav door? Also, years of analogue smoking leaves me without the ability to smell. Does the vapor smell strong enough such that cabin crew can tell? Or do the lovely smells of an international flight lav pretty much cover anything so subtle?

Denni

ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2008
UK
denni-schnapp.livejournal.com
Most flavours don't smell. I've blown the stuff right into the face of a long-term ex-smoking friend who has regained his keen sense of smell (he asked me to!) and he couldn't smell it.

My old JC Chocolate Almond Indulgence made my hubby crave an almong croissant when I vaped it in the car :D

The vapour doesn't set off the smoke alarms.

Saying all that, I don't vape in airplane loos. I cover the LED and blow the vapour downwards.

Momof3

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
Midwest, USA
I checked the TSA site before my trip and it said lithium-ion batteries were only allowed on your person or in your carry-on. So I took 2 assembled black penstyles from Puresmoker, some cartridges and an extra atomizer in a pouch in my purse. No problems with security. My liquid went in my checked bag down. Two of my lids busted and I lost a bit of liquid so they went in my carry-on in the quart baggie they allow for the trip home. Nobody even asked about any of it.

I didn't smoke on the flights, but they were short and I was tending to kids. At the airports I smoked in the bathrooms. Just couldn't risk getting tackled by security with kids in tow. Plus I was in there anyway with kids needing to go.

I smoked in the non-smoking rental car and the non-smoking condo that I was sharing with militant non-smokers without complaint.

I also smoked all over Universal and Disney without issue. They are shockingly strict about their "Smoking only in designated areas" policies. I can't tell you how many times they went after someone for smoking, but they never said a word to me. I have the blue LEDs, so maybe that helped.

I would say based of TSA's own rules, nobody should have problems taking their device onboard and as long as your liquid is under 3oz and in your approved quart baggie, no problems there either.

As for smoking on the flight, if your discreet about it as others have suggested, I doubt anyone will even notice. HTH

OutWest

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2009
Oklahoma USA
www.alternasmokes.com
I checked the TSA site before my trip and it said lithium-ion batteries were only allowed on your person or in your carry-on.
That's handy to know. Easy way to make sure they dont put your carry-on in the checked baggage compartment.

Last time I flew to Vegas, the plane was so overloaded that I had a hard time finding a place for my carry-on. They wanted to put it with the checked baggage until I told 'em that I had several books of matches in there (at the time, matches were prohibited from check bags and only allowed in carry-on, dunno if that's still the case). So, needless to say they found a place in the cabin for my carry-on :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread