E2 R4 Cartomizer Review 510 Version

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Linehan

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2010
Salem, MA
marknsalem.blogspot.com
if you yank out all the plugs from up top..... all 3 . . . . u can drip rt on them

You see!! You mentioned that again, not YOU again, but that thing about ALL 3 plugs??? My E2 R4's have only ONE large/thick plug and then the filling ring. I don't have 3 different plugs.

Could this be a key part to why my carto's are fantastic right out of the box? Why are they different?? Why do I have only 1 plug/disc to remove so I can fill? I do not even have to remove the fill plug (the one with the two fill holes) as I can see the coil through a larger center hole and can drip right onto the coil, and if I miss it eventually will run to the center hole. So I can drip or fill same difference.

Here is a pic
close1.jpg

ScottB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
Goin' Mobile... eeh ooh, beep beep!
My E2 R4's have only ONE large/thick plug and then the filling ring. I don't have 3 different plugs.

Could this be a key part to why my carto's are fantastic right out of the box? Why are they different??

This is strictly conjecture, but it's based on first hand experience (I've purchased a lot of these things - from various sources):

If yours have only 2 rings (you have a deeper mouthpiece and no intermediate ring), they are almost certainly R-3.X's that have been intermixed into the R4 release. Those that I've received like this have always been packaged with the end retailer's private rebranding. I'm not going to name the retailers as this issue is probably not their fault... I believe they're buying in good faith, but getting sold older stock that needs to be "dumped" by the maker. Chances are also excellent that they're approx. 2.5ohms, which is a little warm for my taste.

These dumped cartos quite often have the sealer in them that caused problems with taste & burning & capacity. They also quite often have a less-than-vapable primer liquid in the wicks & coil - which tastes... well, you know... True R-4's have no sealer, and only a very very few have any liquid residual. There are other differences from true R-4's but too long for typing here (and there's great info in the Tech threads).

Pre-clean them thoroughly (there are many effective methods) - before first use - and absolutely do a dry-burn (with both rings removed) until no more emissions from the coil. You'll get rid of the taste issue and get pretty good mileage out of 'em...

Sorry you're getting a bad taste... it's the state of the industry at this time I'm afraid...

Scottitude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
Metro Detroit
scottitude.net
I just received my RoyalSmokers-brand E2 R4 510 Cartomizers from madvapes. They have the single thick rubber plug.

I Won't have a chance to try one until this evening but found the packaging very interesting. The cartos in each 5-pack are in a foil-backed "punch-out" tray (like many cold or sinus meds) but more importantly, each box is labeled with 2.8 - 3.0 ohms and what are clearly manufacturing and expiration dates:

PRD: 20100916
EXP: 20120915

Mark Linehan

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2010
Salem, MA
marknsalem.blogspot.com
This is strictly conjecture, but it's based on first hand experience (I've purchased a lot of these things - from various sources):

If yours have only 2 rings (you have a deeper mouthpiece and no intermediate ring), they are almost certainly R-3.X's that have been intermixed into the R4 release. Those that I've received like this have always been packaged with the end retailer's private rebranding. I'm not going to name the retailers as this issue is probably not their fault... I believe they're buying in good faith, but getting sold older stock that needs to be "dumped" by the maker. Chances are also excellent that they're approx. 2.5ohms, which is a little warm for my taste.

These dumped cartos quite often have the sealer in them that caused problems with taste & burning & capacity. They also quite often have a less-than-vapable primer liquid in the wicks & coil - which tastes... well, you know... True R-4's have no sealer, and only a very very few have any liquid residual. There are other differences from true R-4's but too long for typing here (and there's great info in the Tech threads).

Pre-clean them thoroughly (there are many effective methods) - before first use - and absolutely do a dry-burn (with both rings removed) until no more emissions from the coil. You'll get rid of the taste issue and get pretty good mileage out of 'em...

Sorry you're getting a bad taste... it's the state of the industry at this time I'm afraid...

I have no bad tastes. They were excellent straight out of the box. My vendor is MadVapes, and I have never had any problems with anything from them beyond minor issues that were resolved immediately, so I do not mind naming them here myself. I am positive that if they were being shipped some sort of inferior .......ized versions of cartomizers, they would do something about it. Also, I metered all 10 of my carto's (2 were DOA and that is taken care of) and the 8 I metered successfully were all right around 2.9 none anywhere near as low as 2.5 though.

I was lucky in that I seem to be one of a few people that have not had to do any pre-cleaning on my R4's at all. So, if my carto's are not true R4's, then maybe this is why mine do NOT have a bad taste. You have me confused with those complaining about bad taste in their versions. I started this thread saying how happy I am with these cartomizers. Others responded saying they have had bad luck with the R4's due to bad taste/burnt taste, etc. I've been conversing back and forth with them trying to see if we can find some common denominator for a reason this is happening to some folks.

If mine are NOT R4's then I want to know what exactly they are, because they are excellent! :D

Unfortunately I tossed my boxes and put my carto's in baggies with silica packets for potential long term storage protection. I don't expect to have them too long, but just in case. I want them to stay dry and clean.

slyfox

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2010
WV
I really like mine as well; once I got out the jeweler's maginifying glass with the little side lights on it to see the itty-bitty hole to put the needle in to fill it! I was afraid they didn't hold very much juice and I would be refilling alot, but now I can get quite a bit in them and they last a long while. I'm HAPPY!

Edited to add they are also the RoyalSmoker's brand 2.8-3.0 from MadVapes. Nice warm vape

nightsong

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Dallas
You see!! You mentioned that again, not YOU again, but that thing about ALL 3 plugs??? My E2 R4's have only ONE large/thick plug and then the filling ring. I don't have 3 different plugs.
I ordered 150 directly from e-liquid.cn and received them 10/19 (ordered before they changed MOQ). All date stamps placed on the box 9/16. So far I've encountered 2 boxes with 3 plugs and 3 boxes with 2 plugs. Had requested in the comments 2.8 - 3.0 ohm, the ones I have tested have been 2.6 - 2.8. On my previous order of R3.5, none had tested above 2.4. So who knows what version I really have....but they are working fine for me even without PTB although the PTB has spoiled me a little so sometimes I still use it.
But definitely not any fault of the end retailer, there is really no way of knowing what they get in the box...

Scottitude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
Metro Detroit
scottitude.net
I checked the contents of both of my 5-packs and they are identical; all have the single thick rubber plug.

I'm not a big fan of syringe-filling but even with the blue adapter tip and tiny holes, it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. I chose my go-to juice, an appropriately aged bottle of TopVapor Fried Apple, because I was sure I could taste any subtle difference the E2 may have caused.

At first, the vapor did seem to taste different, not bad but different, from what I had been vaping all day on my Little Chuck. After several puffs I realized the difference was probably the warmer vape and not some off-putting residue or chemical in the carto. Or perhaps I didn't give it time to thoroughly wick.

Overall, the flavor wasn't as sweet as usual, the TH seemed a little more mild yet thicker (if that makes any sense) than I get from a standard Boge 510 carto on the same hardware. It also seemed that the flavor difference related to the heat of the carto. In other words, it was only noticeable after several heavy draws. After giving it a rest, the initial draws were a little sweeter than before, but still warmer and thicker.

I got several hours of pretty heavy vaping off the first fill with no discernible loss of performance or taste.

I also tried it on an eGo. The flavor seemed more typical and the vapor was again warmer and thicker than I get from a typical Boge 510.

I refilled it (took about .5ml), and then filled two more. I plan to let all three set overnight and give them another shot tomorrow, comparing the one I used this evening to the two I haven't touched.

So far, I have nothing bad to say about the E2-R4s and my first experience was basically positive but I'll need to continue to experiment and compare before I take a formal pro, con, or indifferent position.

MadVapes got fresh stock of my old stand-by Boge 510s, and ever the contingency planner, I ordered a few boxes just in case. That's my third MadVapes order in five days. It's a little crazy but I'm racking up some hella points! :D

makasin

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2010
San Diego
I have had my first pack of these for about a week now and i can only say good things about it. They dont have a lot of primer stuff in them, its really easy to just fill and go. I just did a dry burn until the primer got out and the flavor has been amazing. They taste better than anything I have ever tried. A bit light on the draw compared to a LR 510 but theyre pretty perfect. MUCH better than my experience with any other cartos. I tried 2 other types and one of them simply sucked balls (full of primer, died immediately whne i tried to dry burn, otherwise tastes like garbage) and the other worked out of the box but quit after 3 or so days. I can fill a E2 and it lasts me all day and then some in terms of the amount of juice it holds. Flavor doesnt go away until its about to be out of juice. I had the 2.5 ohm version and can see how ppl complained a bit about them getting dry wicks after a lot of intense vaping but it doesnt really bother me. I just tip them upside down, wait 5-10 seconds and continue rocking

Zoey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2010
kansas
There are some inconsistencies on the manufacture of these. Most of us have found they need a good rinse before you intiially use them. Generally speaking a good hot tap water rinse, dry, then dry burn them before use...

This is what I usually do and don't have a problem with mine, your cat looks exactly like mine, pretty.

Mark Linehan

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2010
Salem, MA
marknsalem.blogspot.com
I rinse my atty's and such with really hot water, gently dab with tissue to get most water out, and then blow through tube a bunch of times until no more water is coming out of it. I never dry burn my gear. I have two of my very first four atomizers still running with bridgeless dripping and they are over 4 months old. I have several dead cartomizers from my originals, but those are harder to clean. I have been taking those apart, replacing the coils and rewrapping them though, and now I am building my own cartomizer mutants from scratch as well.

otrpu

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2010
Colorado
I guess I got lucky. Been vapin rotating tween 5 C-E2 R4 XL's from CoV, (Clouds of Vapor), for the past 3 weeks. I didn't dry burn or rinse out or nuttin. Just shoved 50/50 cinnamon in um with a hypo and vape away. Early on noticed I was overvaping their ability to wick my juice. So, I loaded up nuther one, different color batt. And as soon as I detect a change in the vape I switch to the second unit. Allows a dwell time for the wick to catch up. I'm lovin um.

Cheers,
otrpu

Mark Linehan

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2010
Salem, MA
marknsalem.blogspot.com
I guess I got lucky. Been vapin rotating tween 5 C-E2 R4 XL's from CoV, (Clouds of Vapor), for the past 3 weeks. I didn't dry burn or rinse out or nuttin. Just shoved 50/50 cinnamon in um with a hypo and vape away. Early on noticed I was overvaping their ability to wick my juice. So, I loaded up nuther one, different color batt. And as soon as I detect a change in the vape I switch to the second unit. Allows a dwell time for the wick to catch up. I'm lovin um.

That's funny you said that, because just today I noticed that if I vape extra heavy I started getting an off taste on two of mine, and then I went back to them later in the day to see how bad they tasted and to think about cleaning them, and when I used them they were fine again. So I guess that sort of makes sense then. I dried out the coil vaping so much, and the juice had a chance to flow back in by not using it. I thought it was going dry and put more juice in one, but then it acted like it was flooded, and I guess it was. LOL.

Just wanted to post my experience with E2-R4s (Cloud of Vapor)

I was really jazzed about these and then I got them. I filled one and tried it and had a HORRIBLE burnt plastic taste. Thinking maybe something was wrong I pulled out another one and while better it still didn't taste good. The vapor still had a burnt taste.

Checked some posting here and it indicated that they have a problem with VG so I tried some of my PG juice in a third one. While better it wasn't great either. So I figured that I would have to try the PTB mod when I got a chance.

Don't remember what which thread but someone, and I want to thank whomever it was, suggested cleaning with vinegar, rinsing, dry burn and rinse again. Well I can say this IT WORKED. No more nasty burnt plastic flavor not even with VG.

The only thing I notice now is that the vapor is really cool on a 2.5 @ 3V but have a Provari on order so I'll try these at a higher voltage and see if that doesn't warm up the vape a bit.

Just a tip. I found that using a syringe under hot running water to draw/flush the inside worked really well. Also turning the cart upside down and draw/flush with the syringe helped push most of the water out and made for an easier time doing a dry burn.

So happy now that I didn't waste the money on two boxes of these things.

Another Puffer

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2010
U.S.
I keep getting the burnt nasty taste and it is because the R4's are burning my VG liquid and or the flavoring, it seems to burn some brands quicker than others. I got some juice from madvapes that was a 50/50 mix and it seems to be better. Trying to be careful, I still end up burning the juice. I have had to clean my R4's everytime I use them. My Ecopure juice seems to burn the easiest. I think the R4's are great but they run too hot. I have tried both the 2.6 Ohm and the 3 Ohm and with both I get the same results. I know there is nothing in the R4 carto itself that is burning so it has to be the juice that keeps getting burned. I remove the rubber tip and the wick will be black, with some blackened juice on the inside of the carto too. A good alcohol bath and hot water rinse and the wick is nice and white again.
I'm convinced the nasty taste people are getting is burnt juice flavoring.

Another Puffer

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2010
U.S.
So the juice gets burned because not enough time was given before the next draw. The wick gets full and the juice boils off but if the wick isn't full it may burn the juice. Yeah I've noticed with more of a PG ratio, that isn't as much of a problem. I think that is what the nasty plastic or chemical taste that people are complaining about is. I guess depending on what juice you are using, determines what kind of burnt nasty taste you get. You can't hotbox them.
I get it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread