E2 R4 Cartomizer Review 510 Version

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Linehan

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2010
Salem, MA
marknsalem.blogspot.com
Well, I think we will have to say that these cartomizers are varied in their production quality. People seem to be getting varying degrees of resistance, varying amounts of primer residue and varying wicking capabilities. So, as with a lot of e-cigarette products, we have to take the good with the bad. I think these are a great product concept, and when they work properly they are terrific. I was very fortunate in that all 10 of my e2 r4's from madvapes worked great with no off flavors at all. I even manage to work with 100% VG liquids using the blue tips once I learn the tricks. Others have had different issues with the same or slightly different versions of these from different suppliers. I still say these are the best cartomizer design they have right now and recommend them to people.

For those who use all VG like me, you can fill your syringe with the blue needle tips if you pull the plunger out in small increments and patiently wait for the juice to slowly enter the syringe. You will see tiny bubbles exit the needle tip in the juice bottle as it sucks it up. Then, when you fill, you have to press down on the plunger with a good amount of pressure, and it will fill slowly but surely. Of course if you can get a good gauge of metal needle to use instead it would be better. I have already bent the hell out of both of my blue tips and am now futzing around with these gruesomely deformed tips to get them into the little fill holes. I plan on buying more as soon as I have the money though.

dannoman

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
Sugar Land, Texas USA
Hey are you cleaning them without removng the filler ring with that method? If at all possible you don't want to have to remove and reseat the filler ring and if its workign for you, good idea. I rinsed with filler ring on and it is very hard to dry out so if you did it like this I may try it...

Just wanted to post my experience with E2-R4s (Cloud of Vapor)

I was really jazzed about these and then I got them. I filled one and tried it and had a HORRIBLE burnt plastic taste. Thinking maybe something was wrong I pulled out another one and while better it still didn't taste good. The vapor still had a burnt taste.

Checked some posting here and it indicated that they have a problem with VG so I tried some of my PG juice in a third one. While better it wasn't great either. So I figured that I would have to try the PTB mod when I got a chance.

Don't remember what which thread but someone, and I want to thank whomever it was, suggested cleaning with vinegar, rinsing, dry burn and rinse again. Well I can say this IT WORKED. No more nasty burnt plastic flavor not even with VG.

The only thing I notice now is that the vapor is really cool on a 2.5 @ 3V but have a Provari on order so I'll try these at a higher voltage and see if that doesn't warm up the vape a bit.

Just a tip. I found that using a syringe under hot running water to draw/flush the inside worked really well. Also turning the cart upside down and draw/flush with the syringe helped push most of the water out and made for an easier time doing a dry burn.

So happy now that I didn't waste the money on two boxes of these things.

dannoman

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
Sugar Land, Texas USA
Hi Mark--I tend to fill a blunt syringe first...then wipe it off and cap it with the blue filler tip before filling...

Well, I think we will have to say that these cartomizers are varied in their production quality. People seem to be getting varying degrees of resistance, varying amounts of primer residue and varying wicking capabilities. So, as with a lot of e-cigarette products, we have to take the good with the bad. I think these are a great product concept, and when they work properly they are terrific. I was very fortunate in that all 10 of my e2 r4's from madvapes worked great with no off flavors at all. I even manage to work with 100% VG liquids using the blue tips once I learn the tricks. Others have had different issues with the same or slightly different versions of these from different suppliers. I still say these are the best cartomizer design they have right now and recommend them to people.

For those who use all VG like me, you can fill your syringe with the blue needle tips if you pull the plunger out in small increments and patiently wait for the juice to slowly enter the syringe. You will see tiny bubbles exit the needle tip in the juice bottle as it sucks it up. Then, when you fill, you have to press down on the plunger with a good amount of pressure, and it will fill slowly but surely. Of course if you can get a good gauge of metal needle to use instead it would be better. I have already bent the hell out of both of my blue tips and am now futzing around with these gruesomely deformed tips to get them into the little fill holes. I plan on buying more as soon as I have the money though.

squirrel64

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2010
Va Skyline Drive Shenandoah River
Hey guys, I haven't used these yet but I was thinking about getting some. Did come across a fairly new vid that explained the dry burn pretty good. If you guys try this please post results. Seems like long burns but he says it works great YouTube - Royalsmokers ce2 cartomizer dry burn - how to.ASF

Edit... sorry guys just noticed this was a 510 thread and he's using a kr808d-1. Not sure it will make a difference but hope it helps someone. Not endorsing anything just wanna help

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I apologize if this is off topic... But can someone tell me the difference between a 2.5 ohm version and a 3.0 ohm version including possible advantages or disadvantages? Clouds of vapor have both versions for sale. Thanks in advance.

Anthony

It's all about the amount of power (heat) they will produce. The 2.5Ω ones are geared toward lower voltages, like the 3.1v 510 batteries, while the 3.0Ω perform better on 3.7+v devices. What kind of PV are you using?

deviations

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
so i ordered 3 boxes of these, r4, and the first one i filled up tastes like .... burnt plastic all the way. i filled up another one and it was good for a few hits, then it also started tasting like .... i filled up ANOTHER one and it also started tasting like burnt plastic after a few hits. i used three different juices, all at least 50% VG. i'm sure its just the primer in the cart.

what is the best way to pre-clean these? something that doesnt waste precious vodka would be best =)

Mark Linehan

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2010
Salem, MA
marknsalem.blogspot.com
so i ordered 3 boxes of these, r4, and the first one i filled up tastes like .... burnt plastic all the way. i filled up another one and it was good for a few hits, then it also started tasting like .... i filled up ANOTHER one and it also started tasting like burnt plastic after a few hits. i used three different juices, all at least 50% VG. i'm sure its just the primer in the cart.

what is the best way to pre-clean these? something that doesnt waste precious vodka would be best =)

Dude, I have now ordered and used 4 boxes of these. All were the higher resistance type, all were 510 models and all were from MadVapes exclusively. I have had NO taste problems of any kind with these. So far out of the 15, the oldest are about 1 month old and only 2 are not working. 1 was defective and the other just stopped functioning altogether. It is destined for the mad-scientist vivisection table. I wonder how hard it will be to rebuild these ones. I have a ..... of a time with atomizers because the ceramic cups almost ALWAYS break when I try to remove the old coil or put the new coils in.

So I honestly do not know why some of you good folk are having such nasty flavors, but it is bugging the hell out of me because I love these things and recommend them profusely to everyone I know that vapes now. I am the first out of all my friends and family to start vaping and I am the computer tech/electronics hobbyist/mad scientist/writer so everyone looks to me for information. I hate steering anyone in the wrong direction. I am a very outspoken and eager person when it comes to writing and I tend to overstate myself a lot because of my history with creative fiction, but I do my best to always remain honest and as accurate as possible.

The responses coming from this thread/review are fairly varied, but I still have to stand behind these. I am not buying any other carto's or atty's as long as these are on the market. I like the amount of juice they hold. I like the amount of vapor and quality of taste from them. Let me ask you, who did you buy yours from? Are they Royal Smoker? Could there be knock-offs from someplace that is coating there products with some sort of inhibitor oil, like anti-rust or something??? I would think that if one box has this crap on it, then they all would, and mine have nothing on them that gives me ANY tastes. All my juices taste fantastic on these cartomizers for sure. Nothing is coming to mind about any adverse initial firing smells or tastes.

These are mine...
0002.jpg
0003.jpg

otrpu

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2010
Colorado
Don't beat yourself up over this. I believe the concept is sound. Have no idea how tight the control is over the evolving process, (manufacturing), of these items. I've been having very good luck with them. But, can introduce variables that make my experience with them bounce all over the place. Even the same carto on two sets of twin PV's allows variation in results. So, no wonder the way they're putting them out we'll find all kinds of variations. Probably better to order smaller quantities rather than large, until things normalize, and the aged inventory is worked through. From one lab rat to another.

Cheers,
otrpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread