Ejuice calculator (added quantity calculations)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dan, I've got a question regarding adding recipes. So, most recipes I've seen are something similar to this:

Honey Pear:
Pear 5%
Honeydew 3%
Strawberry 3%

How exactly would I be adding this to the recipe page to make it add 100%? I understand that you're limiting the total flavoring to 20% or so, and I know that I can change it, so in this case limit the total flavoring to 11%. But what I don't get is how am I supposed to add a recipe like this to the recipe page so that it comes out to 100%?

I'm loving your calculator, and I really appreciate that you wrote it in Excel so that even Mac users (like me!) can use it. Thanks a ton!

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
If you total flavoring is 11% then 3% flavoring is 27% of that. (3/11=27%)
So, 27+27+46=100. (You can do 5/11 or 100-54 for the remaining flavoring of the three.)

There is no limit on the total flavoring level in the calculator, it's a changeable field.

Now, the advantage to thinking of flavoring this way is that the ratio of the individual flavors can be altered without changing the total flavoring level. Also the total flavoring level can be changed without altering the flavoring ratio. So if the flavoring level is right, but the strawberry is a tad too strong you can drop strawberry down to 20 and bump the honeydew and/or pear up.

(I like Dan's calculator because I think of flavoring the way it is presented in the spreadsheet.)

If you total flavoring is 11% then 3% flavoring is 27% of that. (3/11=27%)
So, 27+27+46=100. (You can do 5/11 or 100-54 for the remaining flavoring of the three.)

There is no limit on the total flavoring level in the calculator, it's a changeable field.

Now, the advantage to thinking of flavoring this way is that the ratio of the individual flavors can be altered without changing the total flavoring level. Also the total flavoring level can be changed without altering the flavoring ratio. So if the flavoring level is right, but the strawberry is a tad too strong you can drop strawberry down to 20 and bump the honeydew and/or pear up.

(I like Dan's calculator because I think of flavoring the way it is presented in the spreadsheet.)

Thanks Hoosier! As soon as I read your explanation it clicked for me. I appreciate it! May I make a suggestion though? So, I'm pretty good at math, but not very knowledgable in Excel. What kind of equation could I make that would automatically make these ingredients 100%?

Meaning, using the above example, is there something I could enter into excel where I could enter the above percentages, then it would convert it to 100% equivalents? Or will I need to use a calculator along with this?

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Um, I did it in my head. I guess it wouldn't be much of an issue to make a formula to do the same thing. I never thought about it since it's quicker for me to figure it out in my head than to type it into a worksheet.

I'd make a column for the individual %'s and then use that total for the formula just to the right of each individual %. Seems pretty straightforward.

Much easier than the logic mapping I was doing on Excel at work today...I think my brain is fried...

xxJollyRogerxx

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2014
Cayman Islands
HI, I was wondering if the calc sheets (PG Calculator Section 6 for example) are really pulling the all info from the "Flavors for Drop-Downs" sheet?
I notice that all the Capella flavors are showing up but if i look say Faeries_Finest the first entry is correct but the last entry in the list is Clear Raspberry when actually the last entry is White Chocolate. So it is not listing 15 flavors.
I think this may be a listing limitation in Excel but TBH i can't remember what the limit is ATM. If it is the Excel limitation have you figured out a way to work around that? Or am i just missing something?
Another one is Flavor West the list is all discombobulated; not listing the flavors in order and missing some. The first entry is Melon and Melon is not even on the flavor sheet for them.
I guess if that sheet is not for look ups then that would make explain it. Just curious

LJFinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2014
SW Florida
Hi Dan,

I'm new to DIY and appreciate you making this. I don't know why but I seem to be having trouble with the V14. When I put in all the info for say making 10 mls of juice the final results show 11.46 mls. Seems the numbers are totaling more than the amount of juice I want to make. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if there's another problem. Thanks again

Hey Scubabatdan, just wanted to let you know I've been using this (v13) since before I was a member here and without it I'd be lost. The work you've put into the formulas has allowed me to move the tables around and use them however I like, which the online calculators don't, as well as understand the mathematics behind them. A thousand thank-yous for all the work you've done here, I'd be lost without it!!!

For simplicity, I've just got one sheet copied into another workbook which contains expenses etc. In my sheet, for sections 4 and 5 - the ones I use most - I've added columns for the VG/PG percentage of the juices being mixed together (as I had some bottles with different combinations and wanted to raise the VG side of the equation while keeping the nic in sight). Would you be at all interested in seeing these?

[edit]
Oh! Just looking at the original workbook, 2 questions for you:
1. What was the source of the safety information for the Flavour List? Very very informative! Love the fact that it's filtered, thank you!
2. In the "Nicotine Ratio Sheet", is this assuming that the Nicotine Juice is 100mg or ....?

Thanks!!
[/edit]

Last edited:

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Hey Scubabatdan, just wanted to let you know I've been using this (v13) since before I was a member here and without it I'd be lost. The work you've put into the formulas has allowed me to move the tables around and use them however I like, which the online calculators don't, as well as understand the mathematics behind them. A thousand thank-yous for all the work you've done here, I'd be lost without it!!!

For simplicity, I've just got one sheet copied into another workbook which contains expenses etc. In my sheet, for sections 4 and 5 - the ones I use most - I've added columns for the VG/PG percentage of the juices being mixed together (as I had some bottles with different combinations and wanted to raise the VG side of the equation while keeping the nic in sight). Would you be at all interested in seeing these?

[edit]
Oh! Just looking at the original workbook, 2 questions for you:
1. What was the source of the safety information for the Flavour List? Very very informative! Love the fact that it's filtered, thank you!
2. In the "Nicotine Ratio Sheet", is this assuming that the Nicotine Juice is 100mg or ....?

Thanks!!
[/edit]

Source for the flavors were a compilation of other members input and from the manufactures sites.
No, base nicotine mg is in column B from 1mg to 100mg, you could copy cells b103:v103 and paste down as far as you like to say 300mg and it would calculate it for you.

Hope that helps.
Dan

See the author's post just above yours. The signature is a link, click "Download my Excel v14 ejuice calculator Enjoy!" at the bottom of the post.

Hoosier, I have also linked to your blog in mine. let me know if you would like me to change the description or remove remove the link. I've been meaning to catch up with you and ask, but have not bumped into you on other threads.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Hoosier, I have also linked to your blog in mine. let me know if you would like me to change the description or remove remove the link. I've been meaning to catch up with you and ask, but have not bumped into you on other threads.

Linking my blog is fine. (I didn't find a link to my blog in either of your blogs though.) I've been extremely busy lately and haven't had much computer time besides work. But I have managed to get the largest piece of furniture I've ever made out of my basement and have a good chance of having it in my grandson's room by the time he is born. (I'm beginning to think I should have gone with a cradle or crib as that would have not involved removing steps to make it fit through the stairwell.)

Thanks Hoosier. Yeah, I haven't published that part yet, it will be a list with some tips I found useful and links to your and Danny's blogs, as well as the important safety threads (a lot of stuff in the stickies is not much use for beginners, so I want to point them toward they stuff they really do need to know starting out).

And congrats on the soon-to-be grandson, as well as your project.

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Scubabatdan, I have linked to this thread in my blog, hope that is OK. And thanks for being here and doing this; even though I do all of my own calcs, I appreciate your time and effort and what you do for the DIY community.

No problem, you can link the file too if you wish.
Dan

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Scubabatdan, dude, thanks for the calculator. It's great, with awesome features.

I'm new to DIY and used your calculator today for my first ever DIY juice. I am happy to report that my DIY ejuice friggin' ROCKS! :)

ChocoNanna Nut Bread. Mmmmmmmmmm

Thanks bro!

Congrats, and your welcome!
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread