Eleaf iStick "pico"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black wings

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2019
Wlts UK
My electronics understanding is a little fuzzy, but I think a device beings charged limits the current draw by it's nature. While the 'current available' might be 2 amps, the unit shouldn't draw more than it is capable of...the device being chareged being the limiting matter.

Micro USB connectors can be a little flakey. I know I've hand to adjust a couple of mine on the cord end to make better contact.

Since the device still works, apparently a 2 amp supply did not damage the unit. EDIT > (I don't know that the device is still working...my initial interpretation of "no further damage"...could very well be that the jack is damaged.) I suspect something more along the lines of a short or a resistive contact within the plug or at the end of the cable or the jack within the pico, or for some odd reason a physical mismatch of the metalic connectors in the plug and the jack on the Pico.

Someone with an understanding of current under charging conditions better than mine might chime in.

I charge exclusively by plugging into my mods and use virtaully all eLeaf / Pico mods.

I use a 6 port, AC / mains powered USB hub for a charging source capable of outputting 4.5 amps total. How that current is split between the 6 ports, I don't know, but it is an inexpensive device, so I doubt it is very electronically sophisticated.
Your absolutely spot on.
Usb's can only take what they need or are designed for. So you can safely charge a 0.5 amp charging capacity mod with a 2amp charger without any issue's.
It's always a good idea to use a good external charger for our cells as it allows visual inspection and better heat dissipation than being stuck in the mod. That said, I often charge via the usb for convenience of I'm present to keep an eye on things.
I've got my charger on an old spare 12" tile, away from fabrics and walls for safety.
The only exception is I charge DNA board equipped mods directly (via usb) as the charge circuit/cell management is better than many dedicated chargers.

I know you guys already know this but it's always good to keep posting it in case New vapers are currently searching for advice.

sorrynomore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 4, 2014
Canada
I purchased my first Pico 75watt...hmmm,maybe two years or so ago.I liked it so much I bought another and an Aster (same as the Pico just a different form facter) and all three still work like new.The display on the Pico's are no longer a uniform brightness but you can still read them easy enough.

These are my favorite mods to date and like a Timex they keep on ticking.If the vape shops around me still had them in stock I'd get a few more.:)

LarryPer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2012
San Diego CA
  • Agree
Reactions: TraderX

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 24, 2013
    High Desert, CA
    I have 2 original Pico mods I've used as my workhorse vapes for the last 2 years and they have been reliable and great in every way. I vape in TC only and can't say enough about how great these have been. I decided to skip the Pico S because I just didn't like the ascetics and colors. But I just received the Pico X yesterday and all I have to say is open the barn for the new workhorse. I really like this mod, especially the ergonomics. It is equally as comfortable whether I fire with index finger or thumb which is an improvement over the Pico that I felt was awkward for index finger. It's surprising how comfortable this mod is to hold and use, eLeaf did a great job with that. I also like the solid color and texture. As far as the vape? I just moved the tank from the Pico and setup TC the same and vaped. It vapes in TC very much like the Pico, which is great. No surprises just vape and fill the tank occasionally. Another will be on it's way shortly.

To PETA: The old workhorses will not be turned to glue and instead will be let out to pasture to enjoy their golden years. Perhaps called back to light duty from time to time.

• Winner
    Reactions: TraderX

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 10, 2011
    Kentucky
    How do you feel about brushed? It's quite attractive, and Mr. Gormly appears to have one left.

Eleaf iStick Pico 75W TC Body Only - Brushed Silver

The brushed silver (SS) is very nice. @kross8 sent me a few picos in need of repair. 2 of them were the brushed bodies. While I could have assembled them in various ways, I chose the 2 brushed ones to return to her, though I was tempted to hang on to those bodies for my own use. I will get one one of these days.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    The brushed silver (SS) is very nice. @kross8 sent me a few picos in need of repair. 2 of them were the brushed bodies. While I could have assembled them in various ways, I chose the 2 brushed ones to return to her, though I was tempted to hang on to those bodies for my own use. I will get one one of these days.

I've got the brushed black, and it's marvelous looking. I've watched Eric's inventory go down and down (over time), often tempted, but never pulled the trigger. Unlikely I will, but yeah, I expect they're at least as nice as the black, and I'd probably like them even better.

For the price, eLeaf did one heck of a job with those Picos.

kross8

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 20, 2016
    stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
    when they die (again) I will check with you to see if you want their bodies,,,,,,,, (this sounds like my family joke--everyone says I'm the one to get with when you need to dispose of a body haha)

• Informative
    Reactions: 440BB

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2014
    Does anyonee have long experience with the original Pico Squeeze and do you have any idea why it was discontinued? I've been using one for a short time and liking it. It's my first experience with squonking so if the Squeeze has a flaw I haven't noticed what it might be.

FYI, for the Squeeze I needed an atomizer with squonk pin and very happy with my choice, Cthulu 1928. If you squonk MTL it's worth a look. Out of all the tanks and rda's I've used in the past 4 years it's by far the most leak resistant. So far it's been leak proof in my pocket. It's cleverly designed to be that way. If the wick has been installed properly it won't leak even if turned upside down. It comes with a solid center pin to be used as a standard RDA but not ideal for mee since the top cap has to be removed to refill the juice well.

Here is my Squeeze with the 1928. I put a Pico silicone sleeve on it, backwards and a Derringer style drip tip, both from FT.
    20190324_184254.jpg

Attachments

• 20190324_184229.jpg
      20190324_184229.jpg
      119.7 KB · Views: 11
    Last edited:

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 24, 2013
    High Desert, CA
    Does anyonee have long experience with the original Pico Squeeze and do you have any idea why it was discontinued? I've been using one for a short time and liking it. It's my first experience with squonking so if the Squeeze has a flaw I haven't noticed what it might be.

FYI, for the Squeeze I needed an atomizer with squonk pin and very happy with my choice, Cthulu 1928. If you squonk MTL it's worth a look. Out of all the tanks and rda's I've used in the past 4 years it's by far the most leak resistant. So far it's been leak proof in my pocket. It's cleverly designed to be that way. If the wick has been installed properly it won't leak even if turned upside down. It comes with a solid center pin to be used as a standard RDA but not ideal for mee since the top cap has to be removed to refill the juice well.

Here is my Squeeze with the 1928. I put a Pico silicone sleeve on it, backwards and a Derringer style drip tip, both from FT.
    View attachment 805189

I would imagine since they developed a full featured, fully regulated, TC capable, bigger battery (you can still use an 18650 too), an upgraded Coral 2, at approximately the same cost I don't see keeping the old model around since the sales would be small. Not really sure, but it makes sense to me.

I just received the Pico Squeeze 2 with the Coral 2 and I am really impressed. And if you happen to like the mech experience with no battery regulation, but with safety features it has bypass mode.

Breazy has the Squeeze 2 with the Coral 2 for $30, and I think there is also a 10% code that can be added. So I can't imagine someone would prefer the original Squeeze over that deal. But I might be missing something obvious.

Skwij

ECF Veteran
    Sep 4, 2015
    Ontario, Canada

kross8

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 20, 2016
    stuck in a squishy pod called my brain

View attachment 805189
    Hmmm,, I noticed the other day the discontinued the squeeze bottles I bought in the past,, I think there are others I would even shove up to a 9ml if need be

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2014
    I would imagine since they developed a full featured, fully regulated, TC capable, bigger battery (you can still use an 18650 too), an upgraded Coral 2, at approximately the same cost I don't see keeping the old model around since the sales would be small. Not really sure, but it makes sense to me.

I just received the Pico Squeeze 2 with the Coral 2 and I am really impressed. And if you happen to like the mech experience with no battery regulation, but with safety features it has bypass mode.

Breazy has the Squeeze 2 with the Coral 2 for $30, and I think there is also a 10% code that can be added. So I can't imagine someone would prefer the original Squeeze over that deal. But I might be missing something obvious.
    For the stash the Squeeze has no screen to blink out after 10 years as OLED screens are reported to do but it does have protection. I'm tempted to get a protected tube mod with some spare mofsets for the same purpose. Hopefully the TC mods will last as long as I need them to or I'll never need them because the government never interferes with access to the vaping products I use.

One more consideration, my favorite RDA is the SV rda clone. I got several because I figured they would eventually disappear from the fad driven vape market, which has happened. It's still my favorite atomizer. The original Pico with Arctic Fox firmware is my favorite mod. How long until that disappears? The AF firmware is not compatible with the Pico X. The Pico/SV combination is what I vaped exclusively for the last 3 years except for a couple of pods reserved for backup and stealth.

Reactions: Jazzman

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2014
    Hmmm,, I noticed the other day the discontinued the squeeze bottles I bought in the past,, I think there are others I would even shove up to a 9ml if need be
    I figure the common dripper bottle sizes will stick around but I used the good prices and selection on FT to get most of the sizes and types I might ever want to use. Now that I'm building for an unregulated mod I need a decent coil tester. FT has discontinued many more of those than they carry today. I should have bought one sooner. I have a couple drawers full of useful bits and peices, orings, mixing supplies, bottles for storage and dripping, etc. that were dirt cheap thanks to FT. Being self sufficient for 10 years is not so complicated. Move the bar out to 20 years and things get more complicated.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread