FDA issues notice of intent to propose "deeming" regulation by April of 2013 for e-cigarettes and other tobacco products

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Those wondering what the "legal mainstream" market will be in the future ...
Cruise over to Blu ecigs and poke around.
Might also click on the "Store Locator" link.

I suggest Blu has inside information and there's reasons
why they are feverishly expanding their market.
:2cool:

Maybe they are working hard to reach the tipping point.

When there are enough of us, they won't be able to quietly do away with e-cigs.

aubergine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
MD

Holy crap - store locator says the map is entirely covered with Blu Blubbles.
Packs that let you know when you're near a Blu outlet or another Blu user? What, they beep?
That is whacked.

Def handy for a flash mob, though... or if things go badly, just give that magic pack a jiggle (or whatever you do) and a million Blu people rise up out of the faceless crowd and COVER your sorry back...

"I commmaaaaand legions...."

Last edited:

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Tax on a pack of smokes here in Tennessee is .62 USD and Virginia .30, tax rates as of January 2012. Has anyone figured how much revenue has been lost due to smokers gone vaping? Bet your government has a good figure.

Not even close! You just stated the state taxes added to cigarettes. Now factor in the federal,excise taxes and sin taxes and youre looking at closer to 3-4 dollars a pack in tobacco producing states and 4-6 dollars in states like New York and Connecticut.

Maxwell_Edison

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Ohio
beatlesnumber9.com

I couldn't vape Blu's, YUK... i got my Lavatube and fingers crossed - feel like water torturing FDA "people" right now.

Lilkurty

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Canada
After 3 weeks of vaping (I completely quit tobacco after discovering it) and some research into the current goings on, these are some of my predictions on what is likely to happen. E cigarettes and smokeless tobacco will not be banned however they will be regulated by the FDA. Lorillard has made a significant investment in buying Blu and they feel that the market is currently at about 15% with an explosive potential for future growth. Philip Morris and others are also involved in exploring whatever it is that they are going to do.
It is clear that the e cig market represents a viable growth market when you look at the success so many smokers have had in using them. So many are still unaware of e cigs but once they become familiar we can be assured that they will have the same success rate that we have experienced. In order for the market to grow Lorillard is going to have to make available a product that either replicates the success/satisfaction that we currently have or improve on it, otherwise people won't buy it. PM and others will naturally have to have their versions to be competitive.

There are many things that are readily available for sale yet are hazardous or poisonous. Cleaning solutions, alcohol etc can be purchased just about anywhere and are commonly found in households. Nicotine is a poison if consumed, but so are all of these other things as well.

We know thru our experience that battery power is critical once the newness of experimentation wears off and consumers will not continue to by Blu (or others) if they are ineffective. I do not believe that that is the objective of Lorillard et al.

Having said that my prediction is that Blu and the like will continue to be marketed everywhere as they currently are. Cartos and E liquids will be available in varying strengths and be available for sale behind a sales counter much like they do at convenience stores or prepackaged in that plastic that is impossible to get off. Vaping hardware will crop up in all different forms and fashions and be available readily as they are harmless without the liquid. Here might be a growth opportunity for our vaping community to come up with great devices that they can market and sell somehow.

Government however will keep control of the main ingredient that we all came here for in the first place....NICOTINE.
BT will do market research and offer flavours. The ones that are popular will stay and the others will not. The cost will rise to be as much or likely more than your previous smoking costs.

That's my :2c:

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
I couldn't vape Blu's, YUK... i got my Lavatube and fingers crossed - feel like water torturing FDA "people" right now.
I suggest many will flock to Blu for e-cigs if they can no longer
legally and easily obtain their vape machines and bottled liquids.

Lorillard did their homework before spending Millions of dollars
to acquire Blu ecigs. They did their homework before investing
huge amounts of money to expand Blu's market.

I suggest Lorillard knows a heck of lot more about the
FDA's plans for regulations than we do.

"Blu bashing" used to be a favorite sport here on the ECF
:p

Last edited:

aubergine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
MD
I suspect that you're correct, Petrodus.
I remember Blu bashing well, but if it and its ilk become the only game in town I know I'll be in line. :( Barring the thriving underground that I predict. And it would beat an all-out ban, which seems increasingly unlikely. Or prescription-only flavorless bluck-tubes.
The site is really a riot - connect with Facebook on your ecig pack? Brilliant marketing, actually, product be damned.

babyk1352012

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Washington State
Ha funny, I'm using a 6 volt zmax and im supposed to be expected to smoke a tiny lil blu device if thats all thats available? Yeah fricking right lol! If this passes I'll do my damndest to quit. Neither regular cigarrettes nor a tiny blu could satisfy me with enough throat hit and Vapor. I only know cause I tried a cig about a year ago and an old ego I had. It was like puffing on air! Neither one of them will get my business, I refuse to let them win!

In the meantime however, I have been stocking up like crazy. But when im out, im out. Hopefully this won't pass though, I rather enjoy vaping.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Lorillard did their homework before spending Millions of dollars
to acquire Blu ecigs. They did their homework before investing
huge amounts of money to expand Blu's market.

I suggest Lorillard knows a heck of lot more about the
FDA's plans for regulations than we do.

Aint that the Truth.

HarmonyPB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2011
Houston, Texas, USA
www.facebook.com
Ha funny, I'm using a 6 volt zmax and im supposed to be expected to smoke a tiny lil blu device if thats all thats available? Yeah fricking right lol! If this passes I'll do my damndest to quit. Neither regular cigarrettes nor a tiny blu could satisfy me with enough throat hit and Vapor. I only know cause I tried a cig about a year ago and an old ego I had. It was like puffing on air! Neither one of them will get my business, I refuse to let them win!

In the meantime however, I have been stocking up like crazy. But when im out, im out. Hopefully this won't pass though, I rather enjoy vaping.

+1 to that. I will not give Blu business. I know people that use them and like them, I'm all about "whatever works for you" so I don't knock Blu in front of them. But Blu doesn't do it for me.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
+1 to that. I will not give Blu business. I know people that use them and like them, I'm all about "whatever works for you" so I don't knock Blu in front of them. But Blu doesn't do it for me.
Blu mentioned in an interview sometime ago they felt they are only 10% there in providing
the best e-cig possible. They said they are working to improve their product.

I'm sure that would be focused on improving their analog style units.
However, when and if that happens ... They will have to get permission
from "Mommie FDA" in order to bring it to market.

Last edited:

HarmonyPB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2011
Houston, Texas, USA
www.facebook.com
It's about the balance of offering some choices while maintaining control in general.

I'm wondering if I should stock up on stuff now.... and buy that unit I always wanted.

I would say go for it now before it's too late! I'm stocking up on mods that use rechargeable batts. I just got my first one last year and hadn't planned on getting more so soon, but I figure it's better to be safe than sorry. And I don't really like change, so once I get them I should be set until they break. It's a win-win for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread