FDA issues notice of intent to propose "deeming" regulation by April of 2013 for e-cigarettes and other tobacco products

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColinD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
London UK
Unfortunately, the latest research coming out about nicotine is saying it has many beneficial effects:

Studies have shown that nicotine may prove useful for treating individuals suffering from Alzheimer's disease or other forms of dementia. Chemically, nicotine is quite similar to a naturally-occurring neurotransmitter known acetylcholine.

In a recent study performed by medical professionals, individuals with a high number of acetylcholine had a significantly lower chance of developing Alzheimer’s disease than those with a low number. To confirm this theory, researchers gave Alzheimer’s patients either a nicotine patch or placebo and monitored the results. They found that Alzheimer’s patients with the nicotine patch were able to retain their cognitive function better than those on a placebo patch.

One of the world's leading research and teaching institutions, Stanford University, recently performed a study monitoring the effects of nicotine on blood vessels. Before this study was done, most people assumed that nicotine caused blood vessels to weaken and close, which could then lead several related health problems. However, researchers at Stanford University found that nicotine actually did the opposite by opening up blood vessels. As a result, this could in fact prove nicotine to be a useful treatment option for those suffering from diabetes.

Individuals suffering from Parkinson's disease may also benefit from nicotine. One of the key triggers in Parkinson's disease is the loss of dopamine neurons in the brain. When you consume nicotine, however, these neurons are protected, which could help prevent the onset of Parkinson’s and even reduce some of the debilitating symptoms it causes.

I for one do not want to quit nicotine but I am down to 6 mg.

If there is No Nicotine... There are No Issues.

PG, VG and Food Flavorings are Not going to be effected by what the FDA Plans to do. Because PG, VG and Food Flavorings are used in many other Markets.

That is why my Disaster Plan is to do the Ramp Down to 0mg.

When I switch to vaping, it was my plan anyway. Perhaps all this talk of FDA Regulations has just reminded me of it.

Maxwell_Edison

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Ohio
beatlesnumber9.com
I don't know how much of my smoking habit was nicotine addiction, but it wasn't 100%. Much of smoking was the habit of inhaling and exhaling smoke, hand/mouth and all the rest. I've never tried 0mg, but with nico gum, available without a prescription (at least in Ohio), I'm not gonna literally die, unless anger kills. I'd obviously prefer vaping my nicotine. But I thought the FDA also regulated the devices under the rules. As long as I can get supplies, it's worth stocking up on nicotine, that was my biggest worry. I can ween down over several years if I stock up. Maybe the mom and pop stores will continue to sell premixed pg/vg flavors. I'll add some nic. Then if need be I'll get nic elsewhere, I don't believe unsmoked nicotine is bad for you. This is about money, not health.

Maxwell_Edison

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Ohio
beatlesnumber9.com
The term "tobacco product" means any product made or derived from tobacco that is intended for human consumption, including any component, part, or accessory of a tobacco product. This includes, among other products, cigarettes, cigarette tobacco, roll-your-own tobacco, smokeless tobacco and now e-cigarettes. So a solution of PG, VG, water and food flavoring would not qualify as a "tobacco product." However, such a product would get on the FDA's radar if it made therapeutic claims (ie. smoking cessation) and the ambiguous "including any component, part, or accessory of a tobacco product" could be used by the FDA to include devices for which the customary use is for the consumption of nicotine solutions. We'll know more how the FDA intends to treat the actual devices when they announce its proposed regulations sometime around April. I honestly cannot guess how they plan to regulated devices (ie. battery device and atomizer separate from the pre-filled cartridges) or if they have even considered them.
What products are considered to be tobacco products as defined by the tobacco control act?

So I'm back to not knowing what to do :(

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
So I'm back to not knowing what to do :(

Remember that the FDA is only proposing the regulations in April. Then there will be the public comments period and then the actual regulations will have to be fleshed out and put into writing. So, there will be time for you to figure out what to do before the regulations are actually "set in stone" so-to-speak.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
But what if that 25-50% of Smokers who switched to e-Cigarettes had to use e-Liquids that were Taxed at the Same Rate as the Tobacco they used to Burn?

Sounds like a Break Even to me.

NO just no....I am NOT paying taxes that equal 3-7 times MORE than the actual product costs. Im tired of paying the lions share of taxes while others do illicit drugs and get off scott free.

Maxwell_Edison

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Ohio
beatlesnumber9.com
Remember that the FDA is only proposing the regulations in April. Then there will be the public comments period and then the actual regulations will have to be fleshed out and put into writing. So, there will be time for you to figure out what to do before the regulations are actually "set in stone" so-to-speak.

Weell, this lets me ease up on that panic button :D

Strangebrew

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2012
NE Tennessee

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
NO just no....I am NOT paying taxes that equal 3-7 times MORE than the actual product costs. Im tired of paying the lions share of taxes while others do illicit drugs and get off scott free.

I hope you don't have to pay Taxes on e-Liquids or Pre-Filled Cartos in the Future.

But unless using 0mg something you might want to consider, I think you might be in for a Rude Awakening.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
In that case, we won't be the only consumers facing higher sales taxes and really can't expect to be the only ones excluded when the all those taxes are proposed. ;)

Oh I Know that we are going to be Paying Higher Taxes even if e-Cigarettes were never invented.

Has something to do with the Government Spending More than they Take In. :blink:

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Yeah, a virus consisting of career politicians who perpetuate a two-party monopoly! :laugh:
WOW ... I'm truly Impressed !!
The BEST "sound-byte" answer I've ever heard !!
1-ThumbsUp_zpsc134b2bb.gif

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
I hope you don't have to pay Taxes on e-Liquids or Pre-Filled Cartos in the Future.

But unless using 0mg something you might want to consider, I think you might be in for a Rude Awakening.

I didnt say I didnt expect it to happen....just said I dont want to pay 3-7 as much like cigarettes and other sin taxes....electronic cigarettes shouldnt have a sin tax associated since most of us are using these to BETTER ourselves and REDUCE harm..reasonable taxes yes...paying 150 bucks for a bottle of 100ml juice....no

rockymtnrobin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2012
Colorado
Those wondering what the "legal mainstream" market will be in the future ...
Cruise over to Blu ecigs and poke around.
Might also click on the "Store Locator" link.

I suggest Blu has inside information and there's reasons
why they are feverishly expanding their market.
:2cool:

Took a look, well~~ did you see the nic levels!! Yea, I wont fare well !!

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Took a look, well~~ did you see the nic levels!! Yea, I wont fare well !!
We are going to have to wait till April to see what the FDA
will say about nic levels. However, April (in my opinion) will be
when we see their INITIAL regulations. Just like every other agency...
They will keep adding more and more over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread