Status
Not open for further replies.

Denvap0r

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Colorado
I'm currently in my first batch of NET's, so certainly no expert. They have been soaking in just PG and so far so good, tried one last night and it tasted great. Still going to let them soak another couple of weeks before I filter them. I bet the PGA would give you much faster results.

Reactions: Devilstompa

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I'm looking to make about 30ml cold extraction. Wondering if I should use PGA or just PG.

Both PG and PGA have advantages and disadvantages as extraction solvents. For your first extraction I would suggest using PG because it's easy but it does require a long soak time (60 days for best flavor), which is one of the disadvantages of using it as the extraction solvent. PGA (ethanol), is much faster but is also more expensive and it leeches oils and resins from the tobacco which should be removed prior to use.

Reactions: Woofer

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
If I was making only 30ml how much PGA would I use to start ?
Thank you

Regardless of which extraction solvent you use pour in just enough to cover the shredded tobacco plus around 10% extra for absorption.

Be sure to seal the container tightly especially if you're using PGA. You will not recover all of the solvent used, some will remain in the tobacco and more will be lost when filtering. I generally lose about 15%.

If you're using PGA you can always concentrate the extract by evaporating off a percentage of the solvent.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Im also looking to have no nicotine in it to.

No worries, once an extract is mixed into a ready to vape juice the nic content will be negligible. If you want or desire a specific nic content you will need to add the correct amount of liquid nic to achieve it.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
the amount of nic absorbed by the solvent ( PG/VG/PGA) from tobacco is minimal.... somewhere in the range of 4mg or so per gram of tobacco... basically its going to be low levels... there are ways of extracting higher amounts of nic, but that method is normally beyond the scope of DIY's...

Bagazo

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
So when you do the cold method with PG or PGA how much nicotine is soaked up. Does PG or PGA only soak up a certain amount of nic ? I'm just trying to stay very low nicotine or none at all.
Don't know where others are getting their numbers but I often refer to studies carried out by lorillard which show 40-45% of the nicotine extracted using a room temp soak in water for 30 minutes
INVESTIGATIONS INTO THE EXTRACTION OF NICOTINE FROM TOBACCO

or this one that shows 58% of the nicotine extracted in 75-80ºC water between 30 minutes to an hour
Water extraction of waste stems

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA

Bagazo

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
If you are wondering why the numbers vary so much between the documents linked. The lorillard docs are talking about the percentage extracted from the total nic available in the tobacco. The IJERPH doc is talking about mg/ml.

So if you extract 100 g of tobacco with 3% nic with 100ml of solvent:
100g x .03 = 3g = 3000mg
If a simple soak gets 40%:
3000mg x .4 = 1200
1200mg / 100ml of solvent = 12mg/ml

Of course in the real world we don't know what the starting nic content is or how efficient the extraction actually is. The calcs just show how both sets of numbers need to be looked at.

Last edited:

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
nope didnt miss it... Im just wondering where the 3% value came from and how was it determined to be that amount and is it a constant that is found in all tobacco leaves... if not, then there are way too many variables in the equation to be useful as a tool to come to a conclusion about nic values in the extract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread