Status
Not open for further replies.

Cjax

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
RVa USA
Ok, so mine was destined for the classifieds, but I decided to give it 1 more go today. I took out both insulators and shortened them so the bottom one doesn't block the airholes and the top one won't get torched from the coil now. I also had the neg post pop out on me (very poorly press fit), so I shimmed it with a piece of 32g wire, and it's nice and tight now, no wobble. Set it up with 1.5mm filled ekowool, filled it about halfway, and I'm pleasantly surprised! I only filled the tank halfway, but no leaks. I was worried my wick would be too small but it seemed to fill up the side holes fine. I'm definitely rethinking getting rid of it now. Plus it looks pretty sweet on my sig19 w/ fusion kit. The draw seems really nice, not too tight or too airy. I just wish the clear window separated from the top cap so you could use it in dripper mode. Now I just need some Sera wool so I can try it in Foggeroid mode!

Cjax

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
RVa USA
I did another tweak to the build. Instead of setting the wick in the holes like the Taifun, I curled them in front of the holes like a Kayfun, so the wick is s-shaped inside the coil chamber. I thought it might flood, but I filled the tank up all the way this time anyways. No flooding and the flavor is Amazing! Really thick clouds of vapor! If this is what a Kayfun/Russian is like I'm in for another treat when mine gets here. This thing was almost certainly about to become someone else's problem, but just a few hours later I'm completely blown away!

Cjax

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
RVa USA
OK, let's see if this works. First thing I did was take it all apart, toss the pre-made wick/coil and pull off the bottom insulator (you have to pry it off with a flathead screwdriver). I sanded it down so it wouldn't block the air holes and replaced it and now it looks like this:
ZuvkE5j.jpg

Then I put the center pin back in and took the small center insulator out (you can just push that out through the bottom with a tiny jewelers screwdriver). I trimmed off some of the "flange" on the top, but what I realized is you could also just put in in backwards so the flange is on the underside of the coil cup:
9Kcj1VJ.jpg

Then spin a micro-coil and try like hell to get it in place just right:
o2cELxJ.jpg

Then insert your wick:
29u83oR.jpg

Tuck the tails down inside:
6gZmImb.jpg

Fill and install on your favorite mod:
IhgoQc2.jpg

And commence the cloud show:
TNOrcgz.jpg

Happy Vaping!

Cjax

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
RVa USA
ok, after about a half hour I am noticing some gurgling, but no leaks yet. This build was somewhat different from the first. The first build I did with justa standard 3/4 wrap coil on 1.5mm filled ekowool, but this one was obviously with rolled cotton in a micro-coil, so it may just be because the ekowool/silica is more dense than the cotton and able to better keep the juice at bay just outside the channels. I made a slight adjustment and pulled more of the wick tails in front of the juice channels and we'll see if that worked.

EDIT: That seemed to have worked. The cotton tails were just a bit too wispy, so make sure they fully cover that hole without protruding out the holes and it should be fine.

Last edited:

Bern Diesel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2013
San Jose, Ca
So the airdraw is fine now? When I watch the video posted in the beginning of this thread, it appears he rebuilds with just silica, and also complains of the airdraw (judging from his body language). It also seems like toward the end he installs an airflow controler between the tank and the mod. I might be wrong though. When I look closer to my tank, there is some insulator blocking the airholes above the threads. I was going to try to dremel those out somehow. I also ordered some airflow controllers which should be here Monday or Tuesday. I got so frustrated with building this and lack of feedback or reviews anywhere on the internet, I just put it away for a minute. I'll be back on it soon.

Cjax

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
RVa USA
So the airdraw is fine now? When I watch the video posted in the beginning of this thread, it appears he rebuilds with just silica, and also complains of the airdraw (judging from his body language). It also seems like toward the end he installs an airflow controler between the tank and the mod. I might be wrong though. When I look closer to my tank, there is some insulator blocking the airholes above the threads. I was going to try to dremel those out somehow. I also ordered some airflow controllers which should be here Monday or Tuesday. I got so frustrated with building this and lack of feedback or reviews anywhere on the internet, I just put it away for a minute. I'll be back on it soon.
The issue with the airflow isn't the holes being too small, it's that the bottom insulator blocks them off from inside. If you sand it (the "tube" part of it) shorter it no longer blocks them, allowing better airflow (see pics above). It's still not as airy as a 1/16 side air hole (which is a little too much for me at least), but it's not tight either.

Last edited:

Cjax

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
RVa USA
Sorry to bug again, do you have any tips for removing the cup from the insulator? I have no screwdrivers that fit that tiny of a gap. Also, why not just let the wick lie in slits and trim right outside the cup? Just asking because I got mine in front of me and am about to commence surgery

If you mean the bottom insulator, it should slide up/down on the center pin. You could pry it off with a knife. If you mean the center insulator, you could push it out from the bottom with a toothpick. I would try to reinsert the center insulator upside down, it may not be necessary to trim it at all. As far as the wick inside the cup instead of inside the holes, it just looks to me like it would get better juice flow that way. With them in the holes if there is too much wick it could cause a choke point and not allow juice to get to the coil.

Bern Diesel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2013
San Jose, Ca
In the 1st pic, the cup is separated from the bottom part that threads into the mod. The part with the knurled ring around it. How did you separate the two? Im sitting here with a eyeglass screwdriver trying to pry the two parts apart but nothing is giving. I suppose pliers would be too drastic?

Last edited:

Cjax

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
RVa USA
I'm still debating whether or not I want a v2. I like the v1 a lot. The vape from it is awesome, but the build is kinda crappy with the chrome center pin and pressed in negative post (which is also chromed brass). Plus I'm not happy the clear tank is glued to the top cap instead of threaded to it. If those issues are fixed in the v2 it may be worth it, but the pyrex tank looks like it could easily snap at the joint. I'll wait to hear from others before I jump on it again.

Bern Diesel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2013
San Jose, Ca
So I have rebuilt mine 3 times. Once with a micro and stock wick at 0.9 ohms. Once with a regular coil with 2mm silica folded 2 times (3 strands sticking out the holes, trimmed) at 0.7 ohms. Did the insulator trimming, threw in a micro and 2mm silica folded once (2 strands out the holes) at 0.9 ohms. Even got an airflow controller. Nothing worked. Probably and airflow problem but it's just not wicking right. I'll get a couple good pulls, then the dreaded dry hit. And the vapor production is just really low, especially compared to my Richman.

To top it off, I bought 2 just for gifts! Since I only built one, I already told one of the recipients to take it to a shop and have them build it and I'm giving him the afc. And the 2nd one is goin up for sale. I originally got these as rebuildables that they'll be able to pocket without leaking. I was hoping for the Kayfun experience without the Kayfun price but at this point, I feel my friends are better off with their carto tanks!

Hopefully the V2 is better but I'm stayin away. Still don't know what tanks to get my other homie. I was thinkin of an Ithaka clone but I just don't like the whole extra step of using the NR wire. Dam, such a good looking tank and I had such high hopes. Oh well. Glad I didn't get one for myself!

Oh, and by the way. Here is my last build of it
2013-09-10184842_zps3e700301.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread