Future of vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

StonyArtichoke

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2015
Urinetown
So I've been thinking. I fully believe that in the next 20 or so years that vaping will overwhelm the tobacco industry forcing many of the companies to either switch to e cigarettes or go under. That's not my concern though. My concern comes once that happens there won't be many ex smokers going to vaping. I feel like people will begin vaping for their nicotine without ever smoking. So many vapers out there seem to have issues with non smokers taking up vaping. Im just curious as to what others have to think about this subject.

StonyArtichoke

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2015
Urinetown
I've always been open minded to non smokers vaping. I just don't understand why people seem opposed to people that never smoked picking up vaping and want to know why this is. As far as vaping acceptance goes I feel that once studies are published saying that vaping isn't harmful many people will switch over. I know 10+ smokers that don't vape because of the unknown possible effects. They at least know what smoking will do to them. I don't see how any negative effects are even possible but I'm not pushy about it because that can be a major turn off for a lot of people.

Papillon61

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2015
Sunshine Isle
That is very unlikely to happen in Europe. Conditions here are making vaping look like something straight out of hell whist smoking is still easy and relatively mainstream. Vaping = weird/Smoking = normal. That said, I have nothing against non-smokers taking up vaping - its their choice and should be respected.

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
ever see the movie Fifth Element?? they still have ciggies that far into the future ;)
fifth-element-4-day-smoke-dispenser-fe1.jpg-44418d1296781632

These things? I see this being a thing later on lol.

Thommi

Sep 4, 2013
RE, Italy
Vaping will die, not in 20 years, but way before that.
The reason is simple.
As of right now, there is a wide variety of freely available devices, where all vapers can choose what suits them and prices, depending on whether you go for DIY or not, vary from almost equal to down to 1/50 the price of smoking.

Upcoming regulations and bans on specific things will soon limit available devices to disposable minis and lift prices above the price of smoking.
Given the fact less than 3% of vapers want to actually quit consuming nicotine and don't find those minis sufficient in the long run and given the fact that out of those who do want to quit completely less than 3% actually manage to quit through these minis, it's predictable, 97% of all those who try vaping in the future will fall back to smoking in a short time.

In the end that's about the same success rate patches and gums have, so vaping will become yet another useless quitting aid alongside patches and gums.
By the time courts all over the world could (at least in civilized countries) overthrow the completely senseless regulations that instead of increasing public health actually push for more smokers, the e-cig market will be so completely destroyed, there won't be any kind of recovery.

Personally I don't really care, I've got supplies stockpiled up to the end of my life expectancy, but I find it a real pitty, the younger generation won't have this option.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    The only way vaping can survive long term is if products become use it once and then buy another, just like a cigarette.
    Business is not in the business of helping us save money. Never has been ... never will be.
    The industry doesn't care if they sell us e-cigs or cigarettes. it only matters that we buy .. buy ..buy.

Electrodave

LPV
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 14, 2015
    Denver, CO
    www.electrostring.com
    It may be just a fad, but a lot of younger people are vaping (many of them 0 nic) as a social activity at hookah and vape bars. Most vape stores around here (Colorado) carry a good selection of 0 nic juices.

I went to one once looking for a certain piece of gear (they sell gear as well), and there were over a dozen 20-30 somethings at the bar, Monster Energy drink in one hand, mod w/dripper in the other, blowin' big clouds, man. I seriously doubt that they were all smokers or ex smokers.

MikeyConti

VapeBro
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2014
    South Carolina
    I think it is possible it could be banned or AT LEAST restricted so much that there would be no point to even vaping anymore..
    BUT I'm hoping they will eventually see it for what it is, which is a safer way to get Nicotine or even a hobby for those who use 0MG.

As for non-smokers picking up vaping, thats their choice. I know someone that doesnt smoke but every once in a while needs some Nicotine, and instead of buying cigarettes he vapes!

Thommi

Sep 4, 2013
    RE, Italy
    The only way vaping can survive long term is if products become use it once and then buy another, just like a cigarette.
    Business is not in the business of helping us save money. Never has been ... never will be.
    The industry doesn't care if they sell us e-cigs or cigarettes. it only matters that we buy .. buy ..buy.

Business has always and will always produce what people want within the regulatory framework the government of a given state sets.
    There are PLENTY of shops basing their business on all kind of vape stuff, up to the components of DIY liquids in 5 liter bottles for about $3 per liter.
    If tobacco companies don't see enough profit in refillable e-cigs, they would go out of business, independent vape shops would take over and there would be nothing the tobacco industry could do against that.
    Only exception is, if governments alter the regulations to permit excusively way overprized disposables.
    What we see right now almost all over the world is tobacco companies bribing governments to regulate cheaper competition off the market.

Last edited:

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 3, 2014
    United States
    What we see right now almost all over the world is tobacco companies bribing governments to regulate cheaper competition off the market.
    They do not need to bribe government. Setting huge sin taxes on tobacco put government in dependence on tobacco companies income. I think even ECF purists will allow me to use word "addiction" instead of "dependence". Addiction to tobacco income makes government unable to behave intelligently. Do not expect it will try to fight addiction by cold turkey method. It will chose replacement therapy (read: sin taxation of vapers).

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 26, 2013
    God's Country
    They do not need to bribe government. Setting huge sin taxes on tobacco put government in dependence on tobacco companies income. I think even ECF purists will allow me to use word "addiction" instead of "dependence". Addiction to tobacco income makes government unable to behave intelligently. Do not expect it will try to fight addiction by cold turkey method. It will chose replacement therapy (read: sin taxation of vapers).

Yes but it won't stop there.
    It's not just taxes, it's BT settlement payments as well.
    We are talking hundreds of millions paid over decades.

Look to your state politicians to see who supported using sin tax and BT payments to fund public services and programs, and vote the idiots out of office.
    Only incompetent fools would set a plan like this up on the first place....and those fools hold elected offices.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread