Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
Ok, so I dropped my goliath V1. Glass still intact. However, I can't get the build deck off now. It won't unscrew. The only place to grab onto with vice grips is the juice control ring while putting a screwdriver in one of the air holes at the base for leverage. But I know I'll make it out of round if I clamp down on it. I'm thinking it's done unless I sacrifice the JCR as a vice point. Any thoughts?

Try freezing it. The contraction around any constrained piece will usually crush it a few ten-thousandths and once thawed it should release. Heating it in a toaster oven will do basically the same thing via expansion within a constraint but your insulators and o-rings won't like that.

Reactions: AtmizrOpin

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
Try freezing it. The contraction around any constrained piece will usually crush it a few ten-thousandths and once thawed it should release. Heating it in a toaster oven will do basically the same thing via expansion within a constraint but your insulators and o-rings won't like that.
Really neat tricks you mention and they both make sense. I used to work in a car garage for a few years and we would get stuck and rusted bolts/nuts out by heating them till came loose. I got it un-screwed though. I wrapped the jcr in black tape put the vice grips around it and stuck a little screwdriver in one of the air inlets and twisted. Two, as fine as human hair, thread shavings came out while I un-screwed. She still threads fine, not like when it was new a few days ago, but good. Thanks for the tips.

Reactions: Mad Scientist
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread