Got a response from my state rep and it's not good

Status
Not open for further replies.

fourmedallions

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2010
Orlando, Florida
So I have been coming on here and reading posts from people like say, in Washington State who are desperately trying to come up with something vapable after the flavor bans came crashing down, and I went on a pretty serious letter writing campaign in response. Here is the answer I got:

"Thank you for writing me regarding your thoughts on banning smoke-free alternatives to combustible tobacco. I appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns.

The Trump Administration recently announced plans to ban the sale of most flavored e-cigarettes as officials in Health and Human Services (HHS) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) continue to investigate more than 450 health cases, including six deaths, related to e-cigarette use. According to HHS Secretary Alex Azar, the FDA intends to introduce a policy that will remove the sale of all flavored e-cigarette flavors except tobacco, until otherwise specified.

I understand that this is an important issue for parents and consumers of e-cigarettes in our district. As your Representative, I will continue to monitor this situation as it develops and will keep your thoughts in mind if any legislative action is taken on the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives.

Again, thank you for contacting my office about this important issue. If you would like to receive regular updates on this and other matters, please visit my website (www.demings.house.gov/) to sign up for my e-newsletter.

Sincerely,
mail

Val Butler Demings
Member of Congress"

The part that instantly grabbed my attention was this:

FDA intends to introduce a policy that will remove the sale of all flavored e-cigarette flavors except tobacco, until otherwise specified.

Is this going to happen ahead of the deeming regulations? Is the FDA going to come up behind us and slip this over our heads while we aren't looking? And while vaping is coming under a full frontal assault, tobacco companies are laughing as they continue to kill 1200 people a day - because the spotlight ain't on them anymore.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
It peeves me that they believe that we can't see all the crap going on. That they really think we are that dumb.

"WE" are not that dumb. Sadly the same cannot be said of most Americans. So many care more about who the Kardashians are sleeping with, who The Bachelor is going to pick, or what the Real Housewives of Whatever are up to, than they do what is going on in their country. These people only get news in small bites and take the news they do get as gospel truth. They are often referred to as "sheeple" because they are easily led....sometimes even to the slaughter.

When the media and government say purposefully misleading things, they know some of us will see through the bovine excrement, but they are NOT talking to us. They are leading the sheeple, and they know it works.

fourmedallions

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2010
Orlando, Florida
"WE" are not that dumb. Sadly the same cannot be said of most Americans. So many care more about who the Kardashians are sleeping with, who The Bachelor is going to pick, or what the Real Housewives of Whatever are up to, than they do what is going on in their country. These people only get news in small bites and take the news they do get as gospel truth. They are often referred to as "sheeple" because they are easily led....sometimes even to the slaughter.

When the media and government say purposefully misleading things, they know some of us will see through the bovine excrement, but they are NOT talking to us. They are leading the sheeple, and they know it works.

I wholeheartedly agree. What I want to know though, is how Juul ended up becoming THE representative 'brand' for vaping? Has anyone else seen the news about the 'whistleblower?'

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I wholeheartedly agree. What I want to know though, is how Juul ended up becoming THE representative 'brand' for vaping? Has anyone else seen the news about the 'whistleblower?'

I wouldn't call them the representative as much as I would call them the industry "whipping boy". They got that way thanks to little teenage bastages that decided to make it the new "cool meme" and created the so called "epidemic" of teen vaping.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
This is like banning all cars because a couple self-driving Teslas went nuts and hit a couple people accidently.

It peeves me that they believe that we can't see all the crap going on. That they really think we are that dumb.
I’ve been comparing it in my mind to banning unicycles because auto accidents and clearly the problem is the existence of wheels.

Oktayne the Red

Oct 4, 2019

Why would you think my use of the word "we" meant anything BUT the sheeple? You're preaching to the choir here buddy.
Did anyone else think I was referring to forum ppl here? I'm sorry, I thought it was obvious who I was talking about.

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
Seeing that Juul's CEO was toppled by Altria's CEO (Altria held a 35% stake in Juul all along) I foresee Juul eventually smoothing the feathers of this ecig debacle and becoming the number one profit maker in the "tobacco" industry. You have to understand that Big Tobacco was set off it's pins by ecigs and made sure it wasn't going to be left out of the profits. It moved in with it's stake on Juul. With Big T's death grip on our politicians it will eventually turn this whole thing around with them in the driver' seat. That's my farfetched prediction anyway. They did it in 1998 when they had to cough up X amount of millions to numerous states for health damages.
"And the beat goes on"......

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
If it really comes down to a strict, all encompassing crackdown I figure on the basic necessities. I can make a mechanical box mod. I can still get VG/PG because that's what is needed to make soaps and cosmetics and flavorings which are used in foods and beverages. Nic is a different story. I suppose I can chew on Nicorettes and spit into my juice :lol:

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
If it really comes down to a strict, all encompassing crackdown I figure on the basic necessities. I can make a mechanical box mod. I can still get VG/PG because that's what is needed to make soaps and cosmetics and flavorings which are used in foods and beverages. Nic is a different story. I suppose I can chew on Nicorettes and spit into my juice :lol:
The only problem might be getting the parts to make a mod. I always suggest getting at least 1 mech mod and 1 RDA and know how to use them. The only parts that really might be hard to get is the 510 and squonk bottles.

BROKEN1981

Apr 20, 2017
This is why Trump will not get a vote from me or my wife. We are both single voter issues. I expected this from a Democrat, not a Republican.

I think vape shops need to start investing it's propylene glycol, nicotine, vegetable glycerin and a scale. Then all the favorite flavors that people put into their mix. Teach people how to put it together. They can sell all that stuff and no one can tell them not to. It's not like they can say hey let's ban capella flavors.

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
The only problem might be getting the parts to make a mod. I always suggest getting at least 1 mech mod and 1 RDA and know how to use them. The only parts that really might be hard to get is the 510 and squonk bottles.
Yeah, can you imagine not being able to get a 510 from FT? That would really be apocalyptic. So, make sure you don't strip your threads on what you got. And I always say, "Where there's a will, there's a way." Look at how ecigs were invented in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread