Got a response from my state rep and it's not good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
This is why I always advocated it to be taxed as cigarettes. It will make the state's happy and they will no longer use children as props. Everyone wins.
Why in world would any sane person advocate for higher taxes on anything?

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
I expected this from a Democrat, not a Republican.
How do you think I feel? I live in MA, a supposedly blue state. I voted for our Republican governor who is banning and regulating us up the wazoo and sending small businesses down the drain. I'm so confused. MA vape industry is a $331,000,000 business. Small by others but pretty darn good for a small state. I've seen the damage done to vape shop owners and their families and employees. Gut wrenching.

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
"WE" are not that dumb. Sadly the same cannot be said of most Americans. So many care more about who the Kardashians are sleeping with, who The Bachelor is going to pick, or what the Real Housewives of Whatever are up to, than they do what is going on in their country. These people only get news in small bites and take the news they do get as gospel truth. They are often referred to as "sheeple" because they are easily led....sometimes even to the slaughter.

When the media and government say purposefully misleading things, they know some of us will see through the bovine excrement, but they are NOT talking to us. They are leading the sheeple, and they know it works.
Aka-Walking organ donors

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Why would you think my use of the word "we" meant anything BUT the sheeple? You're preaching to the choir here buddy.
Did anyone else think I was referring to forum ppl here? I'm sorry, I thought it was obvious who I was talking about.
“Sheeple” are always someone else.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
That is insane. By the way it was a rhetorical question obviously.
It’s not insane. Drilling down on the question far enough it’s “why do we not live in a preindustrial Stone Age society”? Taxation is what allows society to function at all. Without it there can be no group action. The very existence of money instead of barter is a function of taxation. Taxes existed before money did.
Rhetorical question - Wikipedia
the problem is the insinuation of the question implied a false answer. It was meant to be rhetorical but it wasn’t.

Iron Molly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2010
State of Anxiety
I'm not against tax, but I'm against tax equal to the tax on cigarettes. The tax on cigarettes is supposedly to pay for the medical costs of smoking (I know they don't use it for that) and cessation programs. There isn't a similar cost incurred by vaping, or at least there isn't in the same magnitude as smoking. Therefore, it shouldn't be "sin" taxed at the same rate. Not to mention their apples/oranges way of determining how much nic equals a pack, and the tax on hardware.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
I'm not against tax, but I'm against tax equal to the tax on cigarettes. The tax on cigarettes is supposedly to pay for the medical costs of smoking (I know they don't use it for that) and cessation programs. There isn't a similar cost incurred by vaping, or at least there isn't in the same magnitude as smoking. Therefore, it shouldn't be "sin" taxed at the same rate. Not to mention their apples/oranges way of determining how much nic equals a pack, and the tax on hardware.
There should not be one penny of tax money paid for medical expenses for smoking related issues.

Last edited:

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
There should not be one penny of tax money paid for medical expenses paid for smoking related issues.
o_O

Not sure if i'm understanding your sentence correctly. There appears to be too may 'paid's which is confounding my sense of understanding.... Are you suggesting tax revenue on cigarettes should not be used to treat illness caused by cigarettes ?
I do hope i've misunderstood.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
It's a combination of tax revenue loss as cigarettes compete with vaping and a general media bias as teenagers use the product in a way that was never intended. I was in Kroger picking up a prescription yesterday and they had a large CBD display in the pharmacy area. There was no warning on the display and it was out in the open next to the pharmacy.

Unfortunately, it looks like CBD can't be made into an oil free product. Even worse, it's an over the counter product that doesn't require a prescription because it doesn't contain THC. At the least CBD should have a highly visible warning on the package and the displays to warn about the hazard of vaping CBD and any other product that contains oil or has an oil base.

Last edited:

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
There should not be one penny of tax money paid for medical expenses paid for smoking related issues.
o_O

Not sure if i'm understanding your sentence correctly. There appears to be too may 'paid's which is confounding my sense of understanding.... Are you suggesting tax revenue on cigarettes should not be used to treat illness caused by cigarettes ?
I do hope i've misunderstood.
Yes. Illness is not caused by cigarettes. Death and disease are not caused by cigarettes. Addiction is not caused by cigarettes.

Fixed the post. Yes there was 1 too many PAID.

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
So many “should”s “paid”s and causation statements all based on making assumptions on how things work.

there’s making something function and there’s making something function the way a person wants it to function regardless of whether it functions that way. One can withstand poor function or one can demand perfect function at the risk of no function.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I was in Kroger picking up a prescription yesterday and they had a large CBD display in the pharmacy area. There was no warning on the display and it was out in the open next to the pharmacy.

I have seen a CBD display in my Kroger by the pharmacy as well, but there were no vape or inhalation products at all. It was all soap, lotion, cream and other topical products that I saw.

Unfortunately, it looks like CBD can't be made into an oil free product.

That is completely untrue. You can get CBD is a pure powder or crystalline form which could then be dissolved into PG or VG or combination of both for a 100% oil free product. Unfortunately I have seen even PG/VG based nic products referred to as "oil" even when it isn't. So it does become a bit problematic trying to determine if there is any actual "oil" in a product or not.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I have seen a CBD display in my Kroger by the pharmacy as well, but there were no vape or inhalation products at all. It was all soap, lotion, cream and other topical products that I saw.
There has been some confusion about this one. My current understanding (which is a bit different than it was) is that CBD itself is not an oil, but it is most often extracted from cannibis using oil. Mostly because it is the cheapest method. This extraction method creates an oil. So while it technically can be extracted other ways it very rarely actually is. This is apparently also true of THC. Both are extracted at the same time, and they are difficult to separate. What is most often done is by growing a plant that itself contains almost entirely one or the other.

how accurate my current understanding is is of course questionable.

Last edited:

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
Juul is the sacrificial lamb, emplented by the enlightened politicriminals who hold stake in tobacco revenue since ages ago. They use the FDA veil as "for the sheeple". In reality, have you ever heard an elected official ask how you're feeling today? Where taxable revenue is greatest is where the politicians' attentions are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread