Not open for further replies.

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Do you think if I doubled up 3mm silica and stuck that loop through the hole that should be a proper dimension going through the top cap?

You'd have serious difficulty inserting a doubled-up 3mm Silica thru that hole. And once you do ~ it'd still have wicking issues (smothering). I'd rather pull thru a 2mm wick.

mattrhdr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
Toronto
I don't really see a benefit myself to using the topper with silica. You'll get better wicking from not using it because you'll be contacting the filler material and pulling juice to both sides of the coil.

But is it necessary to use the loop coil, or can I use another lets say easier method lol

And doesn't juice get sucked up when you don't use the topper?

Last edited:

chadsmo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
BC Canada
If you want to run just one piece of 3mm folded in half so one end is a loop and the other is just two lose ends touching the fluff you can do that. Or you can triple it over so there loops at both ends. Or you can use Idabros awesome method as well.

What do you mean by sucked up exactly. The juice just sits in the fluff and then wicks in to the wicks as needed. It does not leak out of its own accord if your fluff density is good and you don't over fill.

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
If you want to run just one piece of 3mm folded in half so one end is a loop and the other is just two lose ends touching the fluff you can do that. Or you can triple it over so there loops at both ends. Or you can use Idabros awesome method as well.

What do you mean by sucked up exactly. The juice just sits in the fluff and then wicks in to the wicks as needed. It does not leak out of its own accord if your fluff density is good and you don't over fill.

IDK, Matt doesn't have it yet, but I think he's referring to the other side/leg of the wick in my type of config.

There's a nice juice well in the HERON. I have one end of the wick lying in it, collecting excess juice (if any) and suck it up to the coil. So, we actually have twin feeders this way. Oh, the HERON rocks!!!

It happens infrequently. Some juice trickles down into the well, either due to over-wicking or on reverse evaporation when not used for a while. And this low lying ends assist in two ways ~ (a)use it for atomizing and (b)negate leaking. Oh, I love the HERON!!!

chadsmo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
BC Canada
could i not have 2 smaller strands of silica come through the topper hole and and spread each 1 in a different direction to sit in the fluff?

You could , but as I said before with silica there is really no reason to use the topper. You'll get better performance from silica without it.

I use the topper with one 'slightly controversial' build and that's it. My favourite build is no topper and loops of SnC yarn on both sides of the coil.

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
You could , but as I said before with silica there is really no reason to use the topper. You'll get better performance from silica without it.

I use the topper with one 'slightly controversial' build and that's it. My favourite build is no topper and loops of SnC yarn on both sides of the coil.

^Correct again.
That Chamber "Lid" is specifically designed for cotton ball wick. Immensely helps, in keeping the cotton upright, under a Microcoil & Cotton Ball setup.

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
I guess i just misunderstood how well the fluff held the juice in. So this atomizer can be laid on its side for a period of time without causing problems? Or should it be straight up most of the time

Keep it anyway you want ~ the HERON will not leak. So will not the Spheroid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread