GP-Heron : Setup Pictorial √

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodsky77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2013
Switzerland
does the content really make that much of a difference in size of fluff? i mostly use 70/30 and some 60/40. would i be okay using that size fluff?

The 10% difference should not throw you off too much, it's a question of maximizing the volume of liquid the fluff will hold - too much fluff for a VG intensive juice and you will not be able to put in more than 2ml - put in the right amount and it will hold 4-4.5 mls, put in less than needed, and it will flood.
Need to search the thread for a post either from Q or Idaho - they have some fluff measurements for the Heron for the 50/50 ratio (I think)

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
does the content really make that much of a difference in size of fluff? i mostly use 70/30 and some 60/40. would i be okay using that size fluff?

I use 70/30 or 80/20 (PG/VG) mostly, and this size works fine. As Sky77 correctly opined, a mere 10% of variance in the ratio won't effect anything.

Heron micro, Fluff setup1.jpg
20 x 60 mm, thinned out fluff

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Heron Twin Microcoil with Cotton
Build Pictorial

First Microcoil Mounted:

NOTE: 28AWG Kanthal, 11 wraps on a 1.14mm needle, 1.4Ω each coil.

Both Coils Mounted:

NOTE: At this stage the coil ends are just wrapped with a "U" shape over the posts. The screws are not yet tightened ~ and the Heron seems to do just fine with it unlike my Aqua (which is a Pita to attache dual coils). Probably the 'cuts' at the posts are helping this method.

Post Screws Tightened and Coil Trimmed:

DMM Zeroed (Internal Resistance Measured):

Setup Resistance Check:

NOTE: Overall the build thus, is rated for 0.7Ω resistance.

Coils Lifted, Pulsed and Squeezed:

NOTE: The position of the coils. I have tried them at different levels from the base and this position seem to be giving me the best results, vis-a-vis TH and Flavor. The coils are basically sitting on the post screws, which is why I refer it as "Shoulder fired Micros"!

Coils Test Fired:

Cotton Wicks Inserted:

NOTE: I tend to ensure that my wicks are not an easy insertion. Contrary to the general opinion, I make sure that there's a li'l bit of resistance when the cotton passes thru the coil. Not too tight and surely not an easy passage. It's been long since I use this method - and none have ever failed me.

Wicks Juiced:

Build Vapor Check:

Hmm, the reason why I referred it as my "Chugging Train" build :)

Fluff Juiced Up:

NOTE: Not too much, not too less. The top of the fluff should NOT be juicy, that's more ~ and will over-wick leading to gurgling vape with poor vapor. The top of the fluff should just be moist. Insert the needle to the bottom most while injecting juice and gradually work upwards.

Tank Assembled:

NOTE: While inserting the wick-tails ensure that they are sitting around the inner walls of the tank. In a circular fashion. And collecting juice thru the length of these tails. Not thru their tips.

First Vape:

Next Vapes:

The Heron with Shoulder Fired Microcoils:

Setup Thoughts:

Well, I have been tinkering with many builds and lately seem to like Dual-Coils and Tri-Coils! Simply b'coz it's been over a year building coils and the basic micros seem to be not enough (for me). And with the advent of quality Batteries and Mods/Attys ~ why not? The Heron is a fantastic RBA and thus this build seem to be suiting it well!

It's over a day of use now ~ and this setup is performing exceptionally. Well, the Heron does so any way! But, here we have the famed Flavor (which the Spheroids & Herons are respected for) as well as a Pinoy type vapor production! Something which this RBA is way capable of. I am getting a smooth vape, no issues in wicking at all and the satisfaction is astounding!

Cons: Since I'm using it without the Chamber Lid the wicks tend to sag every 20-25 minutes. Which is when I need to remove the tank section and set it right. Unfortunately, with dual coils there's no scope of mounting that Chamber Lid since it has one hole for the wick to pop out. If we manage to pass thru both wick-tails thru that same hole ~ guaranteed one of the coils will be underfed. Or probably both, since the wicks could be smothered (throttled) b'coz of the bottleneck. However, this could be overcome by using S'n'C Cotton Yarn.

---------------------------------------------------------
CAUTION: This being a sub-Ohm build it is for "advanced users" and definitely NOT RECOMMENDED for new vapers. It is also to be noted that all batteries cannot handle continuos excessive discharge. For sub-Ohming you must use a battery rated 10C or above, higher the better.
---------------------------------------------------------

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
I dunno how your cotton wicks keep that shape. Mine never do... maybe I need to try boiling...

When I removed the top cap it looked exactly like that, except that both the wick-tails were closer. I just separated them to make it clearly visible that there were two.

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Pls calculate your resistances well√

Multicoil Resistances

Here is the Formula:

Here is the 'Online' Calculator for any no. of coils: PARALLEL RESISTOR CALCULATOR

mattrhdr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
Toronto
Pls calculate your resistances well√

Multicoil Resistances

Here is the Formula:

Here is the 'Online' Calculator for any no. of coils: PARALLEL RESISTOR CALCULATOR

Great post... Super informative and everyone who builds multi coils needs to know this... These aren't resistors in series people, you don't just add them up

mattrhdr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
Toronto
Great tutorials guys! Has anyone tried mesh yet? I just did as my first build as I'm steering away from cotton for a while to see if it's been causing my constant flemmyness. IS that a word? Anyways...pretty impressed so far. No flooding, no dry hits. Pretty impressed with the versatility of this atty.

how do you use ss mesh in the heron? id be really interested to see how you have that setup...

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Great tutorials guys! Has anyone tried mesh yet? I just did as my first build as I'm steering away from cotton for a while to see if it's been causing my constant flemmyness. IS that a word? Anyways...pretty impressed so far. No flooding, no dry hits. Pretty impressed with the versatility of this atty.

Nice. Can we have some pictures pls, buddy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread