Not open for further replies.

perseas

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2011
Athens, Hellas
www.vapourart.com
Perseas backs his .... up man :)
The way that he supports stuff bought second hand like he does is pretty incredible as well.

Ok, Heron question and it's probably buried in this thread somewhere but juice pooling up in the drip tip area.
I've got to wipe it out pretty often and there's a good bit of juice in there.
What am I doing wrong?

Over wicking does that, when it floods the chamber. Check the fluff NOT to cover the lips of the bell, it has to be a bit lower. It also happens, when the battery is weak or drained too much and the vaporisation is partial. Condensed vapour may gather under the drip tip, but juice is pooled up for the aforementioned reasons.

SoonerChris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2010
Oklahoma
Big props to Perseas and Miroslav. New Heron coming to me tomorrow and I will be sending back 777 for investigation. Guess it wasn't that lucky.

This is why I came BACK to the GP team. AWESOME customer service. THIS time I'm not going anywhere. I'm sticking with GP.

:toast::thumb::banana::thumbs:

May OCD-ness has been relieved. Thanks GP team.

ee5230931b9fb690647b5b0b7a707633.jpg
1a05b6e7535788236c7cf8db2e2d6785.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

Ozwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Montana
Can't say I've done a lot of experimenting yet, but I've been cutting mine almost as wide as is from the top cap to the bell (just a little shorter) & 65mm long. I use the bell to measure the width & an 18650 to measure the length. I'm sure there's a better way out there, but that's been working for me pretty well.

ETA: The next piece I have to cut (which will probably be quite a while from now) I'm going to try to use the battery for width too. I think if I roll it down a little bit so it's making contact at the edge of the fluff, I can probably just cut around it & have it be perfect.

Last edited:

SoonerChris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2010
Oklahoma
Can't say I've done a lot of experimenting yet, but I've been cutting mine almost as wide as is from the top cap to the bell (just a little shorter) & 65mm long. I use the bell to measure the width & an 18650 to measure the length. I'm sure there's a better way out there, but that's been working for me pretty well.

ETA: The next piece I have to cut (which will probably be quite a while from now) I'm going to try to use the battery for width too. I think if I roll it down a little bit so it's making contact at the edge of the fluff, I can probably just cut around it & have it be perfect.

Thanks. Reason I ask is I have been having so issues with wicking and dry hits. Albeit I'm still working on the optimal build. I was just wondering if the amount of fluff when using high VG juice could possibly have an effect.

FWIW, I'm using a 2.108 ID microcoil with 29g, KDG cotton for the wick @ about 9mm width (goes through coil with a little resistance), and around 17 - 18mm x 65mm fluff.

Ozwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Montana
The amount of fluff sounds pretty close to what I'm using. I wouldn't think that's the problem. My coils are about the same size - I was using a 3/32" (2.381mm) drill bit - which is what I've been using on my KFL's for ages - but with twisted 32g I could barely fit it between the posts. I stepped down to the next smallest bit in that set for a little extra clearance with the twisted wire, a 5/64" bit (1.984mm).

Personally my guess would be that you're using too much wick. I'm eyeballing my KGD, but I pulled the pad in half (to make 2 pads that are half as thick) & I'm using a ~6mm wide strip. If it's too tight in the coil it can choke the flow of liquid to where it's needed most, especially with high VG.

Ozwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Montana
Is it a very hard build? I'm looking for something to look good on my Paps Lux v3. I'm very noob to builds still, so something easy to build on would be nice. Thanks

I don't think so. It's a little tougher than the super simple KFL, but not by all that much. It's mostly getting your wick just right. Assuming you know the basics of building a good coil, of course.

SoonerChris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2010
Oklahoma
The amount of fluff sounds pretty close to what I'm using. I wouldn't think that's the problem. My coils are about the same size - I was using a 3/32" (2.381mm) drill bit - which is what I've been using on my KFL's for ages - but with twisted 32g I could barely fit it between the posts. I stepped down to the next smallest bit in that set for a little extra clearance with the twisted wire, a 5/64" bit (1.984mm).

Personally my guess would be that you're using too much wick. I'm eyeballing my KGD, but I pulled the pad in half (to make 2 pads that are half as thick) & I'm using a ~6mm wide strip. If it's too tight in the coil it can choke the flow of liquid to where it's needed most, especially with high VG.

My pads are pulled apart as well. The larger wick seems to be helping on this build. I've gone from small to a little larger to this (9mm). Went back to 1.4ohm (7 wrap) from the 6 wrap (approx. 1.2ohm) I was using.

Ozwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Montana
Also, is there a hybrid adapter for the Paps Lux v3? Or is there a hybrid adapter that would fit the threads?

Not sure what you mean. I'm not familiar with the Paps well enough, but the Heron is a hybrid atty by default with the 201 connection (which is awesome by the way). There's an adapter to remove the 201 pin & turn it into a 510 connector though.

Ozwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Montana
My pads are pulled apart as well. The larger wick seems to be helping on this build. I've gone from small to a little larger to this (9mm). Went back to 1.4ohm (7 wrap) from the 6 wrap (approx. 1.2ohm) I was using.

Too much wick will definitely result in some dry hits. That's why I was thinking to maybe scale it down a touch. :shrug:

I'm a low power vaper. I'm up closer to 2 ohms on my coils (7 to 9 wraps - 1.7 to 2.2 ohms)

SoonerChris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2010
Oklahoma
Too much wick will definitely result in some dry hits. That's why I was thinking to maybe scale it down a touch. :shrug:

I'm a low power vaper. I'm up closer to 2 ohms on my coils (7 to 9 wraps - 1.7 to 2.2 ohms)

The 8 - 9mm wick, 2.108 ID (14g needle) microcoil @ 1.4ohm, and 17 x 60mm fluff seems to be working well. The only thing I might change is cutting down the fluff to 50mm length for higher VG as recommended in the link perseas posted.

perseas

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2011
Athens, Hellas
www.vapourart.com
Also, is there a hybrid adapter for the Paps Lux v3? Or is there a hybrid adapter that would fit the threads?

Hybrid adapters have many challenges to solve, otherwise a gap will appear, because there are too many variants: inconsistent battery length, varied 510 connections, different tube threading, varied tube length, etc.

GP PAPS v2.1, v2.5, v3 mods use calibrated threads M20x1. We preferred to skip the concept of a hybrid adapter by creating the GPin and applying it to Heron (and to the top cap). This results to a slick solution, where we have a hybrid look with only 3 pieces: atomizer-tube-switch, they stick altogether tightly, without any need for adjustments.

img_4915.jpg

Last edited:

Tinben

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2012
Tn
I have been away from the forum for awhile. Saving some money for a new setup. Im going to replace my Precise Plus 18350 with an upgrade to Paps V3 and Heron. My V3 should be here by Friday from Domo. Now all need is a Heron. I will order it direct.
I do have a couple of questions though.

Should I get the cheaper V 1.0 or the V 1.5? I will probably get the V 1.5 for my X but figured the 1.0 would be ok for my EDV (Every Day Vape).
I am a dripper so how many times are you filling your Heron during the day?

Tell me your thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread