GP Series by VapourArt - Official Thread for GP Spheroid, GP PAPS, X, GP Piccolo, GP SnP and more - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Finally my 2nd Dripper Pro is here! DHL is the best even though, according to their tracking it took several days to fly from Los Angeles to Honolulu (there are no possible stops, in between, as far as I know).

I have NO idea where the 1st Dripper Pro is. It was sent by Bulgarian Post sometime early last month and it hasn't shown up yet. Grr.

Here it is on a Paps v4. Matchy matchy! Although there is a gap between the mod and the atty ... will work on those orings but I'm planning on using it for squonking anyway.

I got it working and I'm still working out the kinks on a dual coil 1-ohm build. pretty good so far!

I just have three issues:

1. The threading on the squonk pin goes deeper than on the 510 pin so it goes in deeper and doesn't make contact with a non-adjustable 510/squonk connection (Kanger Dripmod). It also can't be unscrewed a bit because then the positive post gets all wiggly and loose. I worked around this by using a small o-ring, found in my GP spares box, as a spacer. I think it's the spare o-ring from my Heron v2 ... the little one on the top of the deck cover. Not an elegant fix but it works for now. Think about using some spare peek post insulators from a Spheroid/Heron as a spacer instead but can't yet figure out how to cut it down to the proper size.

2. I was originally gong to run it in single-coil mode but didn't think it would be optimal for this atty since there are two juice wells and there doesn't look like there is enough space to fit my single coil in between the posts, not to mention awkward mounting, to place a coil where the tails could get to both wells. How do you guys do it?

3. The spares bag did not include a 510 drip tip adapter. I find the diameter of the included tip a bit uncomfortable for my purposes and the cap size is not compatible with any of my other standard 810 to 510 adapters. I will have to email Vapourart to see if three are any available.

Does anyone have one, or two, 510 tip adapters for the Dripper Pro that they aren't using? I would love to buy them from you if possible?
732e448384bc52b3a6d3203691b6ba44.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1. I'm not much help here as far as experiencing by duplicating your issues because all of my mods that have a nonadjustable 510 positive post are not in use and are boxed and stored away.

Something like a Dremel 402 Mandrel in a rotary tool and a file, sandpaper or emery cloth might help you cut down post PEEK insulators. If the 402 mandrel diameter is too large, you could make smaller with a long smaller diameter threaded machine screw and hex nut to hold the peek and chucked up in a rotary tool/drill motor.
dremel402mandrel.jpg

2. It shouldn't be all that hard to mount a single coil lengthwise between the posts. There's a 5mm gap between the posts, so a 2.5mm-3mm diameter coil would have clearance. Even so I'd never run mine with a single coil simply because I prefer low to super low sub ohm dual coils. Current build in mine is D26SS316L-3.0-8W-0.28Ω net that works very well with the DIY I always run in it.

3. Mine came with an Ultem 510 spitback adapter. So if missing with yours I'd contact @perseas for a replacement. I don't like the Ultem/SS combo spitback drip tip mine came with, so use the adapter with a big bore Syner 510 DT instead that closely match's the diameter of the adapter so well that you'd think they were made for each other. Next project for my set up (when I get around to it) is drilling/cutting out the adapters spitback grid.
gpdp2.jpg

perseas

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2011
Athens, Hellas
www.vapourart.com
1. The threading on the squonk pin goes deeper than on the 510 pin so it goes in deeper and doesn't make contact with a non-adjustable 510/squonk connection (Kanger Dripmod). It also can't be unscrewed a bit because then the positive post gets all wiggly and loose. I worked around this by using a small o-ring, found in my GP spares box, as a spacer. I think it's the spare o-ring from my Heron v2 ... the little one on the top of the deck cover. Not an elegant fix but it works for now. Think about using some spare peek post insulators from a Spheroid/Heron as a spacer instead but can't yet figure out how to cut it down to the proper size.

The 510 pin of the GP Dripper Pro is not adjustable. Pairing a non adjustable mod with a non adjustable atomizer is always a bet. The non adjustable pin is by design, so we can have functional 510 pin and a squonker pin without additional parts and possible leaking issues. Maybe the Spydro's suggestions could work in your case.

3. The spares bag did not include a 510 drip tip adapter. I find the diameter of the included tip a bit uncomfortable for my purposes and the cap size is not compatible with any of my other standard 810 to 510 adapters. I will have to email Vapourart to see if three are any available.

Does anyone have one, or two, 510 tip adapters for the Dripper Pro that they aren't using? I would love to buy them from you if possible?

We had a flood due to rain inside the CNC shop that makes the drip tip adapters, so we shall send you the missing adapter as soon as we can work there again.

cliffy15

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Honolulu, HI
The 510 pin of the GP Dripper Pro is not adjustable. Pairing a non adjustable mod with a non adjustable atomizer is always a bet. The non adjustable pin is by design, so we can have functional 510 pin and a squonker pin without additional parts and possible leaking issues. Maybe the Spydro's suggestions could work in your case.

We had a flood due to rain inside the CNC shop that makes the drip tip adapters, so we shall send you the missing adapter as soon as we can work there again.
Thanks for the reply, Perseas! My 1st Dripper Pro came in today (Bulgarian Post). What's odd is that that one came with the 510 tip adapter but no o-rings. So between the two orders, I have one complete spares kit (plus a few extra bits).

To be fair (for anyone else reading this), these are the only orders I have placed that have ever had any issues and I'm sure the GP team will rectify this asap.

After some tinkering I have found a build that I like and am enjoying my Dripper Pro immensely. I am glad I have two. :)

BTW, I'm pretty sure the two black o-rings are supposed to be on the base and the red one is supposed to be under the airflow ring. both drippers had them in different orders. once I got them in the right places everything was fine.

Also, when assembling the second dripper pro with the squonk pin I've found that the peek positive pin insulator from a Spheroid or a Heron is a perfect replacement for the peek insulator that was included (this is one reason I always buy spares). Now it fits and functions perfectly on my non-adjustable pin of my squonk mod. :)

I'm sorry to hear about the flooding of your facilities! I hope you get it sorted soon!

cliffy15

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Honolulu, HI
I don't know that it matters much to anyone since the GP Dripper Pro isn't new but I thought I'd comment on it while the urge struck.

I've been using the GPDP for just under two weeks and I've been loving squonking with it. I bought it specifically for squonking. I really never got into dripping because carrying around both a mod and a bottle of juice got really old, really fast - especially because I prefer smaller drip tips and would need to remove the cap in order to drip each time.

Squonking is great and offers me the best of flavor along with a substantial reserve of liquid (my mod holds 6.5ml of liquid).

I originally planned on duplicating my favorite build from my Heron into the GPDP and go from there. However, all attys work differently and finding the best build for me wasn't going to be as easy as dropping a single 1.2 ohm, 2mm 28ga kanthal coil into the atty.

I did try though.

I quickly found that a standard single coil build just wasn't going to work all that well because of the dual wells on the deck. I would either have to live with extra juice being in the empty well, rely on tilting the atty to distribute the liquid from the empty well to the one being used, or mount a single coil between the posts in order to feed liquid from both wells.

I tried the latter (and will include a pic of the 1ohm, 2mm 26awg coil) but the biggest issue was the work required to mount the coil ... it sure took me a long time. The build that I had wasn't very efficient with the legs being quite long for the resistance and mounting type. It took me only a few puffs to realize that I needed more power (less resistance) because the airflow wasn't coming directly across the coil and into my mouth (like bottom or side airflow). Also the relatively short distance between the center-mounted coil and my mouthpiece resulted it quite a bit of spitback even with the spitback guard.

So I eventually ended up with .7 ohm build with 2.5mm dual kanthal coils and really haven't looked back although I'm sure I'll play with different builds in the future.

This is the most work I've put into vaping in awhile. I gave up the comfort of my Herons and have exclusively been squonking since the beginning of November.

I had to buy all new mods. I'm starting with unregulated mod kits (but not mechs) and their included attys. While I waited for the arrival of the GPDP I bought, and began building/vaping on, one of the most highly rated single-coil, 22mm attys that I researched.

I bought new gear. I needed to buy a variety of new wires to play with new coil types, coil sizes, and build resistances. My eyes aren't what they used to be so I bought a coiling jig to assist and finally had to pull out the multimeter that had gone unused for awhile. I never really paid attention to drip tip performance in the past but I'm glad I had a number of different sizes/length to assist in getting my performance tuned.

I tried out new vaping styles and carry options (and I'm still not done). My favorite Heron/Paps combos were easily pocketable, virtually leak-proof, and suitable for high-altitude air travel without any modification. I was also a strictly MTL vaper (who tends to chain vape) who can also now vape DL comfortably.

My overall experience with the GPDP has been great. I am at a point where I am completely satisfied with my build. I also now have the additional benefit of having two of them so I can do varied comparison builds.

The good:

Fit and finish is excellent and I almost take that for granted since my preferred brand has been GP products. Recent testing of other brands have only confirmed this.

I was able to adjust to a DL method suitable for my new dual coil build. I had to vape at a higher power than I am used to but the setup I have produces awesome flavor and more than adequate vapor (I'm not a cloud chaser and have been typically using slightly restricted airflow for enhanced flavor but can be used wide-open). What's convenient is that I no longer have to adjust the fluff density of my build in my Heron for different PG/VG combinations. Flavor/wick changes are much faster than with my fluffed Heron builds (with deck lid).

Doesn't leak: While I have to do more extensive testing of carrying/packing options, the GPDP is the most leak-proof of the limited collection of squonking atomizers I have used. The top AFC of the GPDP, and the locking notches, were the features that I researched that finally got me to pull the trigger and commit to a purchase. While it would be easy to close the AFC while in pocket and open to vape I have never had it leak in my pocket (even at weird positions) so I've never had to close the AFC. This is untrue for the other atties that I have used - even the leak resistant ones.

Doesn't heat up: The GPDP barely gets warm, at my vaping power, even while chain vaping. This has not been the case in the past with other atomizers ... even with single coils at higher resistances.

AFC: The top AFC is so easy to use/adjust. It is flawless in its execution and integration into the look and feel

Cons:

For it's intended size/use, the GPDP has very few cons, in my opinion. The cons I will just are more nitpicky than actual deal-breakers.

Not really designed for single coil use: I'm not sure how many single-coil, unregulated, and high resistance vapers exist anymore. I mean, you can use a single coil easily but I couldn't find one that efficiently utilized the deep juice wells. A flat deck would work better but reduce the versatility of the atty. Maybe a silicone, or peek, plug for one side of the atty?

Squonk pin height: Situational again, but the inclusion of a different peek insulator so that the squonk pin could utilize a non-adjustable 510 connection would have made things a little easier for me. I wouldn't even try to make it adjustable-height. Just a different insulator that allows it to sit at the same height of the included 510 pin would have been convenient.

510 tip adapter: I could very well be in the minority, here, but I don't especially like wide drip tips nor ultem (maybe I just don't like amber). Also, the bore of the top cap is of non-standard size although that is necessitated by the really excellent design of the top AFC. An additional offering of other 510 drip adapters, of possibly different materials/colors, would have been nice. If there are ever any in stainless or black/clear ultem I wouldn't hesitate to purchase them if they ever became available.

Sorry for this long post but I felt the urge to write it at 4am...

Thanks, Perseas and GP, for making this great product! I didn't think anything was going to dethrone my Heron/Paps love except for maybe another Heron release.

The hardest decision I have is which is going to be my primary travel device. While the GPDP wins in almost every performance category, the Heron still wins in one category: I only need to re-wick every third day or so while the nature of the Dripper Pro (and my usage) almost requires me to re-wick daily.

Maybe both will travel with me to the summit of Mt. Fuji next year!
2fe22059684bb22fa460c2a43d62bcd4.jpg
f0695bb93299ef6967bdd8fffe188958.jpg
f4fc3c53a4a082b9feb01e53e88cc2c0.jpg
ea88c7a55d0ba6d8c1e4ad432543bf02.jpg

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Finally my 2nd Dripper Pro is here! DHL is the best even though, according to their tracking it took several days to fly from Los Angeles to Honolulu (there are no possible stops, in between, as far as I know).

I have NO idea where the 1st Dripper Pro is. It was sent by Bulgarian Post sometime early last month and it hasn't shown up yet. Grr.

I also ordered some bits and parts in Nov and it still has not arrived.
Did yours at least get into the US Customs?
My tracking shows this:

In-Transit
December 4, 2017 at 9:36 pm
PROCESSED THROUGH FACILITY
ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)

I hope nothing happened :(

cliffy15

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Honolulu, HI
I also ordered some bits and parts in Nov and it still has not arrived.
Did yours at least get into the US Customs?
My tracking shows this:

In-Transit
December 4, 2017 at 9:36 pm
PROCESSED THROUGH FACILITY
ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)

I hope nothing happened :(
hi!

Both of mine arrived. One was DHL and the other was Bulgarian post. DHL arrived in Hawaii in 5 days (over the weekend). It took a month for the one sent by Bulgarian Post.

Hope you get your shipment soon!

P.S.: Once my Bulgarian post cleared customs and was transferred to USPS, I was unable to track it.

keepsmiling

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2014
Florida
Good morning :)
So I am ready to build my piccoloid v4 today. Favorite build? There's not much out there on reviews and builds. I assume I fill the bell up to the chimney and no further? Wick suggestion.... I did see one video where he said not too much wick, and cut it right at each side nearly flush with the little cap that goes over the build deck. Sounds good?

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Good morning :)
So I am ready to build my piccoloid v4 today. Favorite build? There's not much out there on reviews and builds. I assume I fill the bell up to the chimney and no further? Wick suggestion.... I did see one video where he said not too much wick, and cut it right at each side nearly flush with the little cap that goes over the build deck. Sounds good?
I put the chamber cap thru the wicks and then cut them off flush. It works perfectly always.

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Good morning qorax Sir. Do you have any videos that shows a regular kanthal build in the V4? I only saw one on the ribbon wire
Good morning ma'am! Here's my 2-yrs. old vid on regular wire coiling and wicking:

Done with Nichrome, but it'd be the same with Kanthal as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread