Heather's Heavenly Vapes - THE BIG THREAD (Part 6)

DavidOH

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2013
Ohio
Don't know if it's he or she. (he I think) The vet will have to tell me. Will call for an appointment tomorrow. Scruffy was a stray I first saw the 3rd week of June when I got back to the yard. It was laying under one of the retired trucks. I could tell it was really young. Maybe just barely weaned. It would bolt when I tried to get near. So I put a piece of bacon jerky down for it. When I went to park the truck it was trying to eat the jerky but didn't teeth for it. So the next day I started leaving a can of food out. On the weekends it was on it's own. My intention was to just help it to survive till it was old enough to hunt on it's own. If it trusted then I would give it a home. But it had to come to me on it's own.
It took 6 weeks to get it to come near me. Then Thursday it came within arms reach and I was able to pet it and pick it up for a moment. The same on Friday. So this morning after picking up what I needed at Walmart I went to the street next to the yard and 20 mins later I put it in the carrier for the ride home. It stayed in the carrier till I got some things ready. Litter box, food and water set up in the spare room. Then it was a bath with flea and tick shampoo. It found the a place to hide because it was scared. I went in a few times to show it the food and litter box and to show it didn't need to be scared. Now it's running around exploring, pestering me for attention, learning to play and following me from room to room. I plan to close it in the spare room while I'm at work till I'm sure it's using the litter box. Funny thing is it didn't spaz out when I put it in the carrier or when i gave it a bath. but it drew blood playing. Go figure.o_O

20200809_145336.jpg

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Don't know if it's he or she. (he I think) The vet will have to tell me. Will call for an appointment tomorrow. Scruffy was a stray I first saw the 3rd week of June when I got back to the yard. It was laying under one of the retired trucks. I could tell it was really young. Maybe just barely weaned. It would bolt when I tried to get near. So I put a piece of bacon jerky down for it. When I went to park the truck it was trying to eat the jerky but didn't teeth for it. So the next day I started leaving a can of food out. On the weekends it was on it's own. My intention was to just help it to survive till it was old enough to hunt on it's own. If it trusted then I would give it a home. But it had to come to me on it's own.
    It took 6 weeks to get it to come near me. Then Thursday it came within arms reach and I was able to pet it and pick it up for a moment. The same on Friday. So this morning after picking up what I needed at Walmart I went to the street next to the yard and 20 mins later I put it in the carrier for the ride home. It stayed in the carrier till I got some things ready. Litter box, food and water set up in the spare room. Then it was a bath with flea and tick shampoo. It found the a place to hide because it was scared. I went in a few times to show it the food and litter box and to show it didn't need to be scared. Now it's running around exploring, pestering me for attention, learning to play and following me from room to room. I plan to close it in the spare room while I'm at work till I'm sure it's using the litter box. Funny thing is it didn't spaz out when I put it in the carrier or when i gave it a bath. but it drew blood playing. Go figure.o_O

View attachment 900847
    Kitties seem to love playing with claws out. So glad it's doing so well already:wub:

DavidOH

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 9, 2013
    Ohio
    Kitties seem to love playing with claws out. So glad it's doing so well already:wub:

Except for being jumpy every time I get up and not knowing how to run on a smooth floor you wouldn't know it was a stray. And we had an accident on the floor. Anybody using pine pellets for litter?

classwife

Admin
    Admin
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 9, 2010
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    Except for being jumpy every time I get up and not knowing how to run on a smooth floor you wouldn't know it was a stray. And we had an accident on the floor. Anybody using pine pellets for litter?

The idea of using a box is new to him.
    Sop it up with a paper towel and put it in his box and place him in the box.
    It might help to add some leaves and (clean) dirt if he still doesn't get the idea.
    He'll get there tho :)

(and may I suggest stainless steel bowls for food and water...some cats get chin acne from plastic as even tho cleaned it can still harbor bacteria)

cats5365

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 27, 2013
    United States
    And now we know why the tiny baby kitten pictures started showing up around here...;);)

I use the Tidy Cats clumping litter in the "blue bucket" for my guys. It seems to give the best odor control without a heavy fragrance. I've not used pine pellets, so I don't know if they would smell right to a cat that is just learning about litter boxes in houses. Was the accident a real accident like he got startled, or did he just try to sneak off into a secluded area to do his bizness?

Classy's suggestion about putting the paper towel with Scruffy's accident in the box is a good one. When I brought my ferals inside, I kept them in a large dog crate for a while, so they could get used to house noises. They seemed to know how to use the litter box right away, but being in the small space might have helped too. The outside ferals have a couple of areas of my yard with bare dirt that they use for litter boxes. Maybe putting a little bit of dirt and dry plants on top of the pine will help Sruffy figure out where the box is.

Did you have a big crate when you had the dogs? It might not hurt to set Scruffy up with a crate while he settles in. Feral cats like to have a covered space when they are scared, so if you put the carrier or a smallish box in the dog crate, it would make a nice hidey hole for getting used to house noises. I would put my ferals in their crate or a carrier when I had to vacuum or do loud things so they would feel safe from the monster, but still able to observe what was happening.

LAwaters

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 25, 2014
    Yesterday I made my first foray into the 21st century. My flip phone gave up the ghost, not too terrible, it would no longer be supported by Verizon in just a few months [it an old old phone.]. A new phone is on the verizon no matter what.
    I got s 'smart' phone. I am not sure that I am going to like it. It is an Android and is so tied to Google that I am thinking of building a Faraday Cage to in which to keep it. That sort of defeats the purpose of having a cell phone. There will not be a place that I can go that cannot be tracked, there will not be a thing that I can say anywhere and know that it will be private. It seemingly can never be fully turned off. It also is highly frustrating to use. I am wondering what possessed me yesterday afternoon.

Fourteen days to return it, I am thinking.

The alternative is Apple, which is no better. Or no phone. This is how they move us along — no longer supporting older gear.

I can’t tell you how often something that comes up in conversation then ends up in ads on web pages or in a news feed. It’s our new reality I suppose.

Google is the enemy.

Yes. Along with all of the rest of them. Pick your poison.

I don't trust Google any more than I trust the Chinese Communist Party to be honest.

Or anyone in power. None of them are operating from a benevolent place. Again, pick your poison.

I have an abundance of hope. It just doesn’t rest on any of the “leaders” whether political or corporate. :)

DavidOH

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 9, 2013
    Ohio
    The idea of using a box is new to him.
    Sop it up with a paper towel and put it in his box and place him in the box.
    It might help to add some leaves and (clean) dirt if he still doesn't get the idea.
    He'll get there tho :)

(and may I suggest stainless steel bowls for food and water...some cats get chin acne from plastic as even tho cleaned it can still harbor bacteria)

I still have Tussies bowls. They may be a bit big but should work. I put a piece of the accident in the littler box and covered it. Not worried about it. Scruffy will learn. My guess is he's only 12 /14 weeks old. Besides Tussie had accidents when she got older. I just cleaned it up and moved on. Just part of having a pet..

LAwaters

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 25, 2014

View attachment 900847

What a beautiful story! Tears in my eyes with that one. And I agree with @cats5365 on knowing why all those cat pics! You’re a sly one, aren’t you? :lol:

Scruffy is adorable! A fortunate kitty to have found you.

Great suggestions from @classwife and @cats5365. You’ll never be at a loss for help. I’ve never used pine pellets either. I do recommend cardboard style scratchers over other materials - both of my ferals loved it and wouldn’t scratch on any other types. And don’t bother with expensive climbers or fancy toys unless you enjoy having them in your house. Shipping boxes and string were always the winners with every cat I’ve had. A few small catnip toys are good too.

Food wise, Applaws has been the favorite for our finicky guy. Keeps his system working well too.

For cleanup, Natures Miracle is great. Also white vinegar in a spray bottle works well on carpet especially. If it’s too strong for you, you can mix in some water.

I can’t wait for @EleanorR to find out!

Congratulations to you and Scruffy. :toast:

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    I still have Tussies bowls. They may be a bit big but should work. I put a piece of the accident in the littler box and covered it. Not worried about it. Scruffy will learn. My guess is he's only 12 /14 weeks old. Besides Tussie had accidents when she got older. I just cleaned it up and moved on. Just part of having a pet..
    Mom cats need to teach their offspring to hunt. Odds are Scruffy would not have been long for this Earth had you not rescued her.

LAwaters

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 25, 2014
    Other than the Sleepy Pod, this was the most expensive thing I bought for my cats. And it was worth every penny!

https://www.amazon.com/PetFusion-Sc...ds=Cat+scratch+infinity&qid=1597007851&sr=8-2

The cardboard is extra dense. It lasted for 5 or 6 years. When one side got worn, we flipped it. Then when both sides were worn, we cut it in half.

They loved to sleep on it too, even when softer sleep spots were available.

Users who are viewing this thread