Heather's Heavenly Vapes - THE BIG THREAD (Part 6)

cats5365

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
United States
Evening... There are cat rescues around. I've donated to one at Pets Smart a few times and add $1 to purchase when I shop. Not sure about the big shoulders and face. I just know clearly I can see he/she's back and hip bones. Plus the head looks a bit to big.. I just looked he/she has shown up for the dinner I put out.

Time for pizza and beer...

View attachment 981748 View attachment 981749
If the male cats are allowed to fully mature, they develop massive shoulders and heavy jowls. The short haired guy on the right side of my photo is a good example. The long haired guy can hide his under all the fur, but he has the tom cat features as well. It will make their head look a little oversized for their body. Scruffy doesn't seem to have the same body mass, and I think you got him neutered while he was still fairly young. Your white cat looks like he has a mature tom cat head from what I can see in the photos.

If the cat is homeless, it should be fairly easy to get him on a meal schedule, especially if you get him used to coming when you call him and picking up his bowl after he has eaten. Once he gets used to you looking at him, you might get an opportunity to check out his back end to see if he is intact or not.

What does Mr. Scruffy think about the new guy?

DavidOH

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2013
Ohio
If the male cats are allowed to fully mature, they develop massive shoulders and heavy jowls. The short haired guy on the right side of my photo is a good example. The long haired guy can hide his under all the fur, but he has the tom cat features as well. It will make their head look a little oversized for their body. Scruffy doesn't seem to have the same body mass, and I think you got him neutered while he was still fairly young. Your white cat looks like he has a mature tom cat head from what I can see in the photos.

If the cat is homeless, it should be fairly easy to get him on a meal schedule, especially if you get him used to coming when you call him and picking up his bowl after he has eaten. Once he gets used to you looking at him, you might get an opportunity to check out his back end to see if he is intact or not.

What does Mr. Scruffy think about the new guy?

Not sure what Scruffy thinks. The reason I found out the cat was there was Scruffy sounding like he was issuing a challenge at something. When I went to look the reason was the new cat. Thought it was a one time thing but it kept coming back. Still not sure if he wants to meet it or fight it. But it's only been a few days of feeding. Right now he/she is scared of any kind of movement. I put food out when I get home from work. I'm giving it more than I would because it's only once a day. And the bowl is licked clean. So it's not getting much to eat. Doesn't come when I call yet. So time will tell.

cats5365

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
United States
Not sure what Scruffy thinks. The reason I found out the cat was there was Scruffy sounding like he was issuing a challenge at something. When I went to look the reason was the new cat. Thought it was a one time thing but it kept coming back. Still not sure if he wants to meet it or fight it. But it's only been a few days of feeding. Right now he/she is scared of any kind of movement. I put food out when I get home from work. I'm giving it more than I would because it's only once a day. And the bowl is licked clean. So it's not getting much to eat. Doesn't come when I call yet. So time will tell.
I think it took Mr. Kitty (Long haired) a couple of weeks to get our routine down so that he was either waiting from a distance, or would come running from another yard when it was suppertime. I always left water out for him, but he only got food if he showed his face. Big Guy (short haired) came a few years later and was part of a cat family that was living in my yard during a bitterly cold winter. The mama cat filled him in on the routine and it was a lot easier getting to know him.

If there is yowling, there might be a fight brewing, and I don't know if your catio fence will keep the cats apart if they decide to fight. My cats were always inside cats, so they got to know the ferals through the glass storm door. When I did end up bringing a feral cat in, there was a long process of cage rest and keeping them all apart. Each of the toms ended up needing vet care and long recovery, so I had to take the time to bring them inside while they healed up. I think they also knew they were losing more fights against younger cats, and staying inside was their best option.

DavidOH

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2013
Ohio
Morning..... Time to head out for shopping.

20220920_181739.jpg

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Good morning. Leaves, twigs, branches laying everywhere. Power went out for an hour. Windier than I thought it was gonna be. 2-1/2" of rain. But all in all a typical hurricane remnant here in the Piedmont. Calm as can be now. Gotta go clean up the mess.

DavidOH

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2013
Ohio
Well Shopping included an appointment at Costco. Had my hearing checked a few weeks ago. Today I ordered new hearing aids. My are still working but I don't have backups which these will be. They are a few steps up in tech and cost less. ($1,800 vs $2,500) So back in two weeks to pick them up and start the fitting process.

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
Well Shopping included an appointment at Costco. Had my hearing checked a few weeks ago. Today I ordered new hearing aids. My are still working but I don't have backups which these will be. They are a few steps up in tech and cost less. ($1,800 vs $2,500) So back in two weeks to pick them up and start the fitting process.
Why not use the new ones and have your current ones as backups?

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Those aids don't come cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread