Heather's Heavenly Vapes - THE BIG THREAD (Part 6)

DavidOH

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2013
Ohio
Evening... Got off work early enough but it took till 7:30 to get home. I had to go to the Little Clinic again for another round of antibiotics. Scruffy was fired up about the other cat Monday> Well I didn't learn my lesson. I nudged him in the back side. He thought he was under attack and spun around to bite me in the hand. The back of my hand is really swollen and sore. It was suggested I go to a hand clinic. I'll give it a few days and see what happens. My little free loader was looking for a little breakfast this morning. And when I pulled in tonight he was laying in the drive waiting for me.

20221001_145221.jpg 20221001_193326.jpg

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Sounds like me and housecleaning.
My hands don't work today.
Evening... Got off work early enough but it took till 7:30 to get home. I had to go to the Little Clinic again for another round of antibiotics. Scruffy was fired up about the other cat Monday> Well I didn't learn my lesson. I nudged him in the back side. He thought he was under attack and spun around to bite me in the hand. The back of my hand is really swollen and sore. It was suggested I go to a hand clinic. I'll give it a few days and see what happens. My little free loader was looking for a little breakfast this morning. And when I pulled in tonight he was laying in the drive waiting for me.

View attachment 981978 View attachment 981979
Guess you wouldn't make it as a zoologist.

• Haha
Reactions: DavidOH

cats5365

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
United States

View attachment 981978 View attachment 981979
Cat bite abscesses are a serious matter for you and Scruffy. I think any future bites should be followed up right away with a round of antibiotics. If you haven't tried it yet, soaking in hot epsom salts will help with the swelling and pull out the infection. You might need to see an hand doctor if one of the punctures hit something important like a tendon in there.

Around here, they are supposed to report animal bites to the health department. If Scruffy gets too many reports, he could get in trouble. I would make sure his rabies is always current.

I don't know if Scruffy will mellow out with time, but can you try feeding him at the same time, but before serving Free Loader? It might distract Scruffy and also teach him to associate the stray with snacks. Were you able to find a TNR clinic in your area? It would help some if Free Loader could get fixed and vax'ed sooner than later. If there are fewer hormones around, it could help with the aggression, and will make Free Loader less "smelly." Will Free Loader let you touch him yet?

Neighborhood Cats | How to TNR | Feral Cat Winter Shelter Neighborhood cats has a lot of information on TNR and helping feral cats. My feral Mama's have been doing well with their Rubbermaid shelters for the past 8 years. I used a sheet of the Mylar Styrofoam panels for insulating the Rubbermaid tote, and lined everything with straw. One sheet is the right size for a single-cat tote. Their fort (houses) are covered with a tarp and placed under a bush in my back yard. The houses are on a thick layer of straw since I spread the balance of the bale under the tarp after lining their totes. It keeps everything above any snow melt and ice during the winter.

I use a heated birdbath in the winter to provide water. It sits on an overturned plastic litter box to keep it above the snow. The bird bath was from Wild Birds unlimited, and I picked it because it was designed to be out in the elements rather than inside a sheltered area like a heated dog bowl.

DavidOH

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2013
Ohio
Cat bite abscesses are a serious matter for you and Scruffy. I think any future bites should be followed up right away with a round of antibiotics. If you haven't tried it yet, soaking in hot epsom salts will help with the swelling and pull out the infection. You might need to see an hand doctor if one of the punctures hit something important like a tendon in there.

Around here, they are supposed to report animal bites to the health department. If Scruffy gets too many reports, he could get in trouble. I would make sure his rabies is always current.

I don't know if Scruffy will mellow out with time, but can you try feeding him at the same time, but before serving Free Loader? It might distract Scruffy and also teach him to associate the stray with snacks. Were you able to find a TNR clinic in your area? It would help some if Free Loader could get fixed and vax'ed sooner than later. If there are fewer hormones around, it could help with the aggression, and will make Free Loader less "smelly." Will Free Loader let you touch him yet?

Neighborhood Cats | How to TNR | Feral Cat Winter Shelter Neighborhood cats has a lot of information on TNR and helping feral cats. My feral Mama's have been doing well with their Rubbermaid shelters for the past 8 years. I used a sheet of the Mylar Styrofoam panels for insulating the Rubbermaid tote, and lined everything with straw. One sheet is the right size for a single-cat tote. Their fort (houses) are covered with a tarp and placed under a bush in my back yard. The houses are on a thick layer of straw since I spread the balance of the bale under the tarp after lining their totes. It keeps everything above any snow melt and ice during the winter.

I use a heated birdbath in the winter to provide water. It sits on an overturned plastic litter box to keep it above the snow. The bird bath was from Wild Birds unlimited, and I picked it because it was designed to be out in the elements rather than inside a sheltered area like a heated dog bowl.

I'm going for no more bites. Scruffy gets his food first, then freeloader. I think Scruffy may be a bit jealous... Intruding on his domain. That kind of thing.. Freeloader isn't ready to be real close yet. But he's not running away as fast or far. Just enough to stay out of reach. Tonight he didn't eat all of the food I put out. I'm sure he'll be back to finish it. But that means he's getting enough to eat.. Still looking at rescues. My hand was about 25% better today. One More day...

20221002_152659.jpg

Bimini Twist

Twisted Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
Redneck Riviera
www.mboyd.com
All good things… as they say. Just opened my last bottle of DF.

I have some Nada, and small amounts of Serendipity, Pirate’s Booty, Legend and a few others. Might get me to year’s end. I’m gonna stretch out the DF longer than the month 100 mL usually lasts.

Sigh.

View attachment 980682
I am soooo jealous! I ran out of my HHV juices way too soon (I didn't see their email warnings until it was too late).

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
No M'am. Might have a campfire tonight Invite some neighbors, drink some beer.

How are your plantings looking?

Dry and sad from too many stretches of 100 degrees for too long. The sunchocola cherry tomatoes are making a comeback. Still getting some bell and jalapeños. Not my year for growing larger tomatoes. Got the last two pretty far along then the heat crippled them.

I was gonna do some fall planting. But I’m job hunting and need to see what my schedule will be like.

Enjoy your party if you end up having one!

Reactions: DavidOH

DavidOH

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2013
Ohio
Afternoon .... Routine Sunday for me. Freddie Didn't show up for dinner Friday night. Saturday morning the food was gone along with 6oz of water. I'd don't think a cat would lick a bowl dry of water. Yesterday I saw him so I put food and water out. He ate all the food. This morning the water was all gone. So i think something else is after the food and water.

20221004_185145.jpg 20221004_185232.jpg

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Afternoon .... Routine Sunday for me. Freddie Didn't show up for dinner Friday night. Saturday morning the food was gone along with 6oz of water. I'd don't think a cat would lick a bowl dry of water. Yesterday I saw him so I put food and water out. He ate all the food. This morning the water was all gone. So i think something else is after the food and water.

View attachment 982285 View attachment 982288
You’ll need to get one of those game cams and videotape the crime scene. Freddie the Freeloader might have some buddies… the non feline type.

Users who are viewing this thread