Heather's Heavenly Vapes - THE BIG THREAD (Part 6)

Steve Parry

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Cookeville TN
As a lifelong White Sox fan, I am interested in how YOU became a White Sox fan.
Well, I grew up a Yankees fan in Connecticut. When I joined the Marines, you couldn't really follow your home team as you traveled since it was pre internet and you relied on the local papers. When I got out, the (now ex) wife got a job offer in Illinois. I got a short haul run out of Alsip (Chicagoland) so I could listen to every White Sox or Cubs game on the am network. As an AL guy, I went with the Sox. That was in 1999.

Now with SiriusXM and MLB tv package I could follow whomever I want. XM got the contract with MLB in 2005 and I have had a subscription ever since. I still follow the Yankees a little by my heart is with the White Sox.

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
We used to play baseball all the time when I was a kid. I never liked softball as much. I would rather watch kids or up to college age, than professional ball players. I remember my grandfather used to sit at the kitchen table, and listen to the games on the radio. I was shocked that my son had no interest in it.
When I was a kid I played baseball, basketball and football (tackle), tennis, army, rode bikes etc... We stopped playing tackle football in the neighborhood when one of the kids broke their arm. I was probably 14 years old then. Once you got tackled everyone piled up on you. One kid was heavy, and you sure didn't want him to tackle you and fight for the ball. When I was an older teen we went to touch football, I think you called it.

Last edited:

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Well, I grew up a Yankees fan in Connecticut. When I joined the Marines, you couldn't really follow your home team as you traveled since it was pre internet and you relied on the local papers. When I got out, the (now ex) wife got a job offer in Illinois. I got a short haul run out of Alsip (Chicagoland) so I could listen to every White Sox or Cubs game on the am network. As an AL guy, I went with the Sox. That was in 1999.

Now with SiriusXM and MLB tv package I could follow whomever I want. XM got the contract with MLB in 2005 and I have had a subscription ever since. I still follow the Yankees a little by my heart is with the White Sox.
Interesting.

I actually started out a Cubs fan because they were on WGN and the White Sox were on UHF. I don't know if you'd remember UHF. It was a different band and your TV had to be equipped to get that band. If not, you couldn't watch the stations on UHF. My family did not have a UHF TV so I never got to see the Sox play. Then my Dad got a job at Zenith (Rauland Division) in 1973 and they gave him a new TV every year. His first one had all the bells and whistles on it including UHF. I remember the day he brought it home. It was opening day and I instantly became a White Sox fan. And the Cubs made it easy to do. :)

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
I had a great distance throwing arm as a kid. Played some softball. By far my favorite activity was cycling. On our radio it was the Phillies. On tv was golf ( :facepalm: ), baseball, football and some basketball. I’d rather watch grass grow! :lol: A client recently offered me free tickets to the Vegas Golden Knights hockey game. I expressed gratitude but declined. Never understood the appeal of hockey. Or being in a crowd!

We need @Bunnykiller and @retic1959 to check in and let us know they are okay after all the tornado activity in their state.

Steve Parry

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Cookeville TN
I don't know if you'd remember UHF.
I rememberthe double dial on tv sets for UHF/VHF but I never thought of it in an AM/FM type of way where you might have a tv that didn't have both.

I just love baseball so when you give me the option of following one team day in and out as opposed to following my favorite team in an abstract kind of way I'll take it. I had a brief stint as a Braves fan in between and I really didn't like them. I got stationed at Parris Island so it was them or nothing so I followed them.

Funny thing, now that you got me thinking about it. I was livid over the strike in 94. That's when I was in South Carolina and I think that's what made my break with the Yankees possible. I lived and breathed Yankees baseball growing up in Connecticut. If the strike hadn't made me so angry at baseball in general I might still be a Yankees fan today, who knows. I kinda "broke up" with the Yankees and then "went out" with the Braves. It healed some of the wounds of the strike I suppose.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I rememberthe double dial on tv sets for UHF/VHF but I never thought of it in an AM/FM type of way where you might have a tv that didn't have both.

I just love baseball so when you give me the option of following one team day in and out as opposed to following my favorite team in an abstract kind of way I'll take it. I had a brief stint as a Braves fan in between and I really didn't like them. I got stationed at Parris Island so it was them or nothing so I followed them.

Funny thing, now that you got me thinking about it. I was livid over the strike in 94. That's when I was in South Carolina and I think that's what made my break with the Yankees possible. I lived and breathed Yankees baseball growing up in Connecticut. If the strike hadn't made me so angry at baseball in general I might still be a Yankees fan today, who knows. I kinda "broke up" with the Yankees and then "went out" with the Braves. It healed some of the wounds of the strike I suppose.
I think when UHF came out all the TV makers made it available on their sets. I just happened to have a cheapass dad who made us watch an old worn out Philco Ford from the 50's before UHF was around. While everyone else was getting color TVs we had an old piece of :censored: black and white set with wobbly legs that the dog gnawed down to twigs. The vertical hold was shot and would wig out every five minutes so you had to lay in front of it and adjust it all the time. Can't begin to tell you how many times I was sent to the store to get new tubes for the thing...the price for being the youngest in the family. 13 years old and I knew all the part numbers for a Philco Ford. The neighborhood laughed at us when my dad got a job with Zenith. They didn't start him in TVs though. They sent him to the night vision division where he designed scopes for the military. So we had some night vision equipment sitting around the house all the time. I could see in the dark before I saw a color TV. God was he cheap!

Sox looking horrible this year but I am really digging what they have done with their team. They are just stacked with young hotshot players with more coming in the June draft. Just a matter of time and they'll be a force. Liking this Reynaldo Lopez kid a lot. And I know Lucas Giolito will be an all star eventually too along with Yoan Moncada.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
I had a great distance throwing arm as a kid. Played some softball. By far my favorite activity was cycling. On our radio it was the Phillies. On tv was golf ( :facepalm: ), baseball, football and some basketball. I’d rather watch grass grow! :lol: A client recently offered me free tickets to the Vegas Golden Knights hockey game. I expressed gratitude but declined. Never understood the appeal of hockey. Or being in a crowd!

We need @Bunnykiller and @retic1959 to check in and let us know they are okay after all the tornado activity in their state.

what tornados??? there was tornados?

tornados... sounds like a
mexican snack.... tor nados like enchalados, or tacanados, or buritinados... ;)

Steve Parry

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Cookeville TN
Sox looking horrible this year but I am really digging what they have done with their team.
Yeah, it's rebuilding time which is fun in it's own right. If you understand and accept that, it's just fun to watch a team grow and see the rookies developing. There is indeed a ton of talent and the Sox generally draft well. It will be fun to watch it all come together.

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
LA I like watching hockey, especially in person. I hardly live in hockey territory, as you can imagine. I did go to a couple of games to see the Mudbugs though, many years ago. I took the kids once, and was surprised to find that my daughter had a great time there! The kids liked The Mighty Ducks movies, so that might've had something to do with it. I have liked hockey since I was a kid. I never got into watching soccer though. I hate watching golf with a passion. Also miniature golf was fun to play, but not to watch.

LA, I had not heard about the tornadoes, but I found this link.
Tornado Reports in Southern Louisiana - WeatherNation

Last edited:

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
what tornados??? there was tornados?

tornados... sounds like a
mexican snack.... tor nados like enchalados, or tacanados, or buritinados... ;)

No , no , no , she musta meant tournedos , Mmmmmmm filet mignon . :drool:

Let’s see...

Appetites intact?
CHECK

Sassy senses of humor intact?
CHECK

Okay. We’re all good here. Carry on. :p

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
LA I like watching hockey, especially in person. I hardly live in hockey territory, as you can imagine. I did go to a couple of games to see the Mudbugs though, many years ago. I took the kids once, and was surprised to find that my daughter had a great time there! The kids liked The Mighty Ducks movies, so that might've had something to do with it. I have liked hockey since I was a kid. I never got into watching soccer though. I hate watching golf with a passion. Also miniature golf was fun to play, but not to watch.

LA, I had not heard about the tornadoes, but I found this link.
Tornado Reports in Southern Louisiana - WeatherNation

It’s pretty wild to have a hockey team here in the desert! I wouldn’t want to have to pay that electric bill for keeping the ice going in summertime. My friend gave me a hard time for not going. She’s no hockey fan either. She just doesn’t know how I can be such a homebody. For me going to a mall is torture. Me no like crowds. :)

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
Besides needing to be fed twice a day, sourdough has to be used or periodically discarded. Otherwise it takes over. Literally - because it doubles in size every day. I found the perfect use for it when I’m not baking bread. My sweet tooth is for salt and crunch. These are Sourdough Garlic Parmesan crackers topped with paprika and poppy seeds. Yummmm! Mix the dough in the morning, bake and enjoy at night. :)

DB29F859-F7C4-4149-84B3-24FF4745A849.jpeg

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Yeah, it's rebuilding time which is fun in it's own right. If you understand and accept that, it's just fun to watch a team grow and see the rookies developing. There is indeed a ton of talent and the Sox generally draft well. It will be fun to watch it all come together.
Exactly. If they are not contending then watching them rebuild can also be fun. I can't believe what they got in that Adam Eaton trade. Lucas Giolito, Reynaldo Lopez, and Dane Dunning. Two are already in the starting rotation and Dunning is tearing it up in the minors. By the end of the year all three will be in the starting rotation...with one trade! And for a guy who has been injured since he was traded.

How is other half doing?

Users who are viewing this thread