Hi all, new to DIY. Advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

DIY Apprentice

Jul 26, 2019
Ireland
I'd say you need to start from the beginning then.
Single flavor testing is the best way to start, once you dial in each flavor by themselves, then knowing where you like each one to sit in the mix is easier. Imagine the Danish flavor as a drum track. If the base is to loud, it'll drown out the cowbell of the pecan, and the vocal of the brown sugar.
I did make a mistake in that i wanted to use butter pecan and not maple pecan in the first one with brown sugar and the danish and i had every chance to realize this when i typed in maple pecan on the site i ordered from to change what i used. but my latest one is perfect for me when i get the nicotine in the post. I don't like fruit so the tutti fruiti and banana are no use they were made for family

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I wouldn't really have to adjust to sweet flavours i have apart from the da vinci code been smoking only black note eliquid tobacco flavour it is real tobacco extract. There is i did notice from the bottle a strong standout of cinnamon ish flavour even though it is actually coming from the maple for some reason but i do get the chance to try reduce it as i have to dilute by 30ml to get my nicotine level. It was my first attempt while i had my daughter pulling stuff around in the house so was a little distracted to taste out of the concentrate bottle first. Even though the percentages were correct to the guidelines. But it doesn't explain how it has a strong sweet taste from bottle and no taste in vape where as the. Butterscotch and butter pecan i made has equally strong taste in bottle and a really nice taste in vape. I only tested that one today
That's where steeping comes in. The knuckle taste will get weaker but the tank taste will get stronger as the mix steeps. You'll find that mixing is a rather glorious combination of both logic and illogical. If you like the flavor of the knuckle test you're probably in the ballpark with the mix, just give it a couple three weeks before judging. Remember these are food flavorings. They don't need a steep in food but do when added to vg.

DIY Apprentice

Jul 26, 2019
Ireland
That's where steeping comes in. The knuckle taste will get weaker but the tank taste will get stronger as the mix steeps. You'll find that mixing is a rather glorious combination of both logic and illogical. If you like the flavor of the knuckle test you're probably in the ballpark with the mix, just give it a couple three weeks before judging. Remember these are food flavorings. They don't need a steep in food but do when added to vg.
Thank you.. i will give patience some time. i got the idea of mixing and all that but was not sure why the purpose of needing to steep and how it is before steeping. I will admit i know a lot. But when it comes to vaping/eliquid less than anyone on here. Haha

DIY Apprentice

Jul 26, 2019
Ireland
On a side note, you don't need to breathe the mix, usually the steep takes care of off gassing. I seldom breathe a juice and never for more than 30m. You are losing precious flavor molecules when you breathe a mix.
Ok i will keep that noted for any future mix. I am sure if it were too much flavour and wanted to lose some that be ok but i don't really want to lose flavour

Reactions: Letitia

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
Ok i will keep that noted for any future mix. I am sure if it were too much flavour and wanted to lose some that be ok but i don't really want to lose flavour
Sometimes, esp when mixing more than a couple of flavors, less is more. I'd imagine butterscotch and butter pecan both share some similar if not the same molecules. Mixing the two together may dilute the other notes to a distant, if not nonexistant flavor. Leaving the top note by itself, and probably chemically, if at all reminiscing of the desired aroma.

Also, too much of any one flavor can also mute, as it can overload the receptors and become flat and dull.

Less truly is more, until it's finetuned

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
i am not sure if this is a rare case or not but they were going through more than 30ml per day on the eliquid.

I know some what do even more than that per day juice wise. Only do about 5 ml per day here. Then, I use 18mg/ml nicotine and others use 3 or 6mg/ml. And more than likely if they're using large amounts of juice they're also DIY-ing.

I see places online offering sales where the unit cost is like $0.25 to $0.45 per ml. I usually though am mixing only 10 ml batches. Let me sorth the numbers quick.

$4.95 30 ml bottle of flavoring
~$40.00 for 1 L of nicotine base (vg)
I'm not including bottle cost, which is $6.80 for ten bottles or $0.68 per bottle.

$4.95 / 30 ml = $0.17 I figure this based on using my current single flavor ratio of 10% or 1 ml per 10 ml bottle.

$40.00 / 1,000 ml = $0.04 This is what a Liter of nicotine base costs per ml.

So, $0.17 + $0.04 = $0.21 per ml or $2.10 per (1) 10 ml bottle of single flavored juice. I could possibly do it cheaper, this however provides a base line. You see how DIY can save you if you buy a 30 ml bottle of single flavored juice at a cost of say $12.00. Reasonably that same bottle DIY could cost you only $6.30.

Yes, I understand mark up to operate. I'm not saying to avoid buying from shops or online vendors. Please do many of them are merely getting by. At the same time it's good being an educated consumer. To answer the question hanging in the air, no I don't work for or at any shops or vendors, don't own any either. I'm just a bit cued in on how life works in general and how retail works, too.

I don't get paid for posting links or writing up good or bad reviews either. And so far I don't receive any gear to review that I can keep, nor any I'd need to send back. So, If I'm saying X is the bomb diggity, I sincerely mean it and conversely the same if I say it's lower than whale dung.

DIY Apprentice

Jul 26, 2019
Ireland
I know some what do even more than that per day juice wise. Only do about 5 ml per day here. Then, I use 18mg/ml nicotine and others use 3 or 6mg/ml. And more than likely if they're using large amounts of juice they're also DIY-ing.

I see places online offering sales where the unit cost is like $0.25 to $0.45 per ml. I usually though am mixing only 10 ml batches. Let me sorth the numbers quick.

$4.95 30 ml bottle of flavoring
~$40.00 for 1 L of nicotine base (vg)
I'm not including bottle cost, which is $6.80 for ten bottles or $0.68 per bottle.

$4.95 / 30 ml = $0.17 I figure this based on using my current single flavor ratio of 10% or 1 ml per 10 ml bottle.

$40.00 / 1,000 ml = $0.04 This is what a Liter of nicotine base costs per ml.

So, $0.17 + $0.04 = $0.21 per ml or $2.10 per (1) 10 ml bottle of single flavored juice. I could possibly do it cheaper, this however provides a base line. You see how DIY can save you if you buy a 30 ml bottle of single flavored juice at a cost of say $12.00. Reasonably that same bottle DIY could cost you only $6.30.

Yes, I understand mark up to operate. I'm not saying to avoid buying from shops or online vendors. Please do many of them are merely getting by. At the same time it's good being an educated consumer. To answer the question hanging in the air, no I don't work for or at any shops or vendors, don't own any either. I'm just a bit cued in on how life works in general and how retail works, too.

I don't get paid for posting links or writing up good or bad reviews either. And so far I don't receive any gear to review that I can keep, nor any I'd need to send back. So, If I'm saying X is the bomb diggity, I sincerely mean it and conversely the same if I say it's lower than whale dung.
I definitely get about diy being a lot cheaper. Especially having a 2 litre vg/pg with 12 flavours and 72mg 200ml nicotine for 110 euro. Compared to a 60ml bottle from shop at 30 or 27 smokes for 15.20 Though there are so many that would not consider making their own and would go through a lot of eliquid that would make it expensive. But that is why i am doing diy so i can relax about spending and make flavours that i like or like and are not available in my country anymore

DIY Apprentice

Jul 26, 2019
Ireland
I definitely get about diy being a lot cheaper. Especially having a 2 litre vg/pg with 12 flavours and 72mg 200ml nicotine for 110 euro. Compared to a 60ml bottle from shop at 30 or 27 smokes for 15.20 Though there are so many that would not consider making their own and would go through a lot of eliquid that would make it expensive. But that is why i am doing diy so i can relax about spending and make flavours that i like or like and are not available in my country anymore
When i say more expensive though than smoking i am strictly talking about crazy kits though that is a one off purchase unless you are me breaking them all the time and shop bought eliquid the article i saw did mention a good few that diy but others are shop bought which definitely make more expensive than smoking shop bought at 30ml a day consumption

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    Even with store bought, finished eliquids I only like a small percentage and find huge variations in which atomizers work well with them. I have almost no experience with higher power setups e.g. over 16 watts but what I have tried of them is unimpressive to OK. In my experience there is no stronger flavor quantity than an EVOD at 5.2 watts with the appropriate higher flavor concentrations, but there are better flavor qualities. Up in the 15 watt range 2% flavoring is about my maximum but change anything about this setup and the flavor dies.

In DIY flavor choice, I like to find combinations where the flavor is multiplied. I have heard of combinations where some flavorings actually moderate the flavor amount but change the quality. I have tried a huge number of flavorings standalone mixed and only use a small proportion of them as a main flavor.

An interesting example is the highly respected Flavourart Fuji apple. When you open the bottle and mix it, it smells like you just smashed up a huge pile of fresh apples. I get none of that aroma in the vape and just a bit of apple body taste. However I have found a good mix with it, .3% INA grapefruit (VERY strong) and .2% Fuji, I call it Grapefruit Plus. Meanwhile, many flavors with almost no smell result in plenty of flavor as a vape with even some aroma to it.

Flavor West flavorings are well known to be on the weak side but I still wouldn't be going much over 5% total for a high power vape.

I find the steeping thing highly overrated, at least in my mix strength. I don't try anything after less than 2 hours but only a few do much other than get slightly more refined after a day or 2. Some have found that fruits actually lose flavor rapidly.

A huge thing for DIY mixing is using a drip atomizer, I don't do a lot of complex mixed juices and get a lot of the flavor mixing by dripping different juices sequentially. I'm not sure it's possible to get some of the amazing flavors that result on a constant basis, it has to be transitory.

DIY Apprentice

Jul 26, 2019
    Ireland
    Even with store bought, finished eliquids I only like a small percentage and find huge variations in which atomizers work well with them. I have almost no experience with higher power setups e.g. over 16 watts but what I have tried of them is unimpressive to OK. In my experience there is no stronger flavor quantity than an EVOD at 5.2 watts with the appropriate higher flavor concentrations, but there are better flavor qualities. Up in the 15 watt range 2% flavoring is about my maximum but change anything about this setup and the flavor dies.

In DIY flavor choice, I like to find combinations where the flavor is multiplied. I have heard of combinations where some flavorings actually moderate the flavor amount but change the quality. I have tried a huge number of flavorings standalone mixed and only use a small proportion of them as a main flavor.

An interesting example is the highly respected Flavourart Fuji apple. When you open the bottle and mix it, it smells like you just smashed up a huge pile of fresh apples. I get none of that aroma in the vape and just a bit of apple body taste. However I have found a good mix with it, .3% INA grapefruit (VERY strong) and .2% Fuji, I call it Grapefruit Plus. Meanwhile, many flavors with almost no smell result in plenty of flavor as a vape with even some aroma to it.

Flavor West flavorings are well known to be on the weak side but I still wouldn't be going much over 5% total for a high power vape.

I find the steeping thing highly overrated, at least in my mix strength. I don't try anything after less than 2 hours but only a few do much other than get slightly more refined after a day or 2. Some have found that fruits actually lose flavor rapidly.

A huge thing for DIY mixing is using a drip atomizer, I don't do a lot of complex mixed juices and get a lot of the flavor mixing by dripping different juices sequentially. I'm not sure it's possible to get some of the amazing flavors that result on a constant basis, it has to be transitory.
    Ye i am already set in my ways of what i will use. There are only maybe 4 or 5 different flavours of any i have tried that i like and ofcourse tobacco if it is black note, the rest as you say i find unimpressive i got myself a new 100ml bottle of that decoded. Though i can't wait for my most recent mix to be ready with nicotine i put the percentage for 80ml in the 60ml base to accomodate the 72mg of nicotine. I did like frstd brown sugar cinnamon but cant get my hands on it. I saw it is available in the U.S but that is no good to me.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread