How Long Did It Take You...

Status
Not open for further replies.

smilin0117

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2010
Northwood OH (NW OH)
I know there are plenty of vapers around here who continued to smoke for several months or even up to a year later (some still smoke on occasion) but many of them will say that one day they just sort of realized that they hadn't smoked in a week or so... they just sort of 'forgot' to smoke after a while. It happens. Don't put too much pressure on yourself.

Here's what helped me:

*comparison smoking:
light up a cigarette and have your PV loaded and ready to go. Puff the cigarette and really try to experience it. How does it taste? How does the smoke feel in your mouth? in your throat? Do you get a head rush? How does it feel in your lungs? How does it smell? Really evaluate what you like or don't like about it.

Now have a puff off your PV. Ask yourself all the same questions; is the feeling of the vapor in my throat any better or worse than smoking? Does this taste better or worse than my cigarette? Does this feel better or worse in my lungs? Does this smell better or worse than my cigarette?

My experience was that vaping wasn't really any better or worse than smoking, just different. That helped me to try part two:

*vaping against the urge to smoke....

Whenever I got the urge to smoke I'd say to myself, "if vaping doesn't make it better in 10 minutes, you can have that cigarette." So I'd vape and read the ECF forum. I found that in about 5 minutes of really hitting my PV HARD the urge to smoke would go away... for a while. When it came back, I'd make the same promise to myself, "if this doesn't work in 10 minutes, you can have a cigarette." It always worked, so I never did get that cigarette AND every time I did it, it would take longer and longer for the urge to smoke to return.

and lastly, to get a better nicotine hit from my PV I started to change the way I used it..
*the nose hit:

Suck the vapor into your mouth and blow it out through your nose two or three times in a row before inhaling into your lungs. Believe it or not, you get a better dose of nicotine this way. Nicotine is absorbed in your mucous membranes, not so much your lungs, so the more vapor hits your mouth, nose, cheeks, throat, the better nicotine hit you'll get.

This are all most the exact words i had to tell my SO to get him to quit the nasty's!!! He had a hard time with the fuss of e-cigs. Me I love the fuss.

You will get there. Take the time you need. As some have said try a LR atty or carto or maybe a 5v passthru(you can get one from MADVAPES for pretty cheap). If you find out 5v does it for you...there are a TON of great PV's out there. I'm partial to the BUZZ...but thats me. I think your gonna be fine..dont worry what everyone else is doing so much when it comes to how long it took them. Know that you are doing great and the best you can...

Keep up the good work and just have fun with vaping!!

bluebelle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2010
Rochester New York
New day and a new strategy I think today. Am going to concentrate on different times of the day and promise myself to make them smoke free. Only had one this morning and plan on keeping it that way. The mornings so difficult, think I will not be too hard on myself and allow myself my morning wake up weakness for now.

It is actually easier at work since I only have time for short breaks, although I have snuck vaped there a couple of times, but I plan on making the rest of the morning and early afternoon for now exclusive vape time. Will worry about later in the day when it comes.

Have tried so many times to quit and never made it, and with any other method I tried when I "fell off the wagon" I was back to smoking like a veritable chimney almost instantly. At least this time when I fall, I pick myself up, dust myself off, and start vaping again, not chain smoking. And that is a positive thing and gives me hope that this will work for me.

Ordered a boat load of juices last night, mostly 30mg and in different flavors from a different vendor, along with an order of more juice from the selection I got of the flavors that seem to be the best of bunch from my first order.

I do have to remember that nothing worthwhile ever comes easy...and to be smoke free is a very worthwhile goal. Thank everyone again here for their support and advice. Without you people here I would have no one to talk about this to that would understand what I am going through.

Lisa B

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2010
Central City, Colorado
That is great bluebelle, you have the right attitude, when you feel like having a smoke just tell yourself I will vape for 15 minutes if I still want one I will have one. I think most of the time it will pass, if it doesn't have one with no guilt. Then vape away at will and if you get the urge again do the same test. Eventually the vaping will taste better and fulfill that urge. Just keep trying, you are doing great, pat yourself on the back.

bluebelle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2010
Rochester New York
Thanks Lisa. I am really trying.

Did have a funny and bit frustrating call with the steady last night (who is working out of town for the past couple of months) and finally told him about the great progress I was making, also was trying to explain how wonderful I found a few of my first juice order flavors and the whole surprising taste experience for me, since I did expect a smoky and less intense taste. Told him I was tempted to get a 0mg juice for him when he gets back to try even.

While I said he was very happy about me making such progress, he warned me about getting "addicted " to the juices and vaping...like I wasn't an addict already and of something far more harmful and dangerous.

Can tell he never smoked except for a very rare (maybe once every 2 years) cigar , can't you?

Lisa B

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2010
Central City, Colorado
Yes it is hard for people that have never smoked to understand. My hubby quit smoking when he almost died from pneumonia but still has an occasional analog or one of those small flavored cigars. He likes mine so much he had me order him some chocolate covered banana and he uses one of my old e-cigs and cut out those occasional analogs. He is very supportive and says even if I never stop vaping it is still better then analogs and he knows how hard it is quitting other ways. He is just happy I found something healthier. He is only worried that I am addicted to this forum....lol

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
Don't be discouraged and don't pressure yourself too much. It took me about 6 weeks to shift over. Gradually, I learned that at the time I needed 24 mg/ml nicotine and the taste of vaping became more attractive than smoking. But i still tell myself that if i really want a cigg I can have one. It's been 9 1/2 months now and I haven't really wanted to smoke.

Don't forget that a subset of people need some of the other alkaloids in cigs, and supplement vaping with smokeless- there's a subforum here with a ton of information that is worth checking out.

Celebrate how much less you're smoking and give yourself the time it takes to find what works for you. Switching to vaping doesn't need to be anxiety provoking or painful.

smilin0117

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2010
Northwood OH (NW OH)
While I said he was very happy about me making such progress, he warned me about getting "addicted " to the juices and vaping...like I wasn't an addict already and of something far more harmful and dangerous.

Can tell he never smoked except for a very rare (maybe once every 2 years) cigar , can't you?

I actually get this more from current smokers who think my new "gadget" is too far out there for them. I have got the comment "if i cant have the real thing I dont want anything" or "i dont need to be addicted to one more thing" or "no i dont want to try that do you even have any idea whats in that thing".

Its sad really. Somehow I think smokers and non smokers for that matter forget what is actually in a cig or they choose to forget.

I think you are making great progress. Keep up the good work!!

lasttango

What would Freud say?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Wilmington, DE / Ithaca, NY
www.last.fm
Took me about a month to eliminate the after dinner, before bed and just woke up smokes...

For me, it was getting into a slightly more powerful package that gave me more TH and vapor...

...and importantly, finding the right liquid for those tough times.

I feel bad for my buddy at Halo because I don't spend nearly as much coin on his stuff as it deserves. One one hand, Halo juices are magnificent for saving me during those toughest times, on the other hand, I rarely have those toughest times anymore... so I vape less Halo because I don't want to ruin the magic...

I also think switching from a 510 to a 901 helped me... the draw is tighter and more satisfying to me.

coralie

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2009
USA, Chicago area
bluebelle,

I have been vaping since august of last year. It has taken me *forever* to completely switch over. I love vaping, very much. I had my heart set on it working for me the first day, but it didn't. I didn't give up. I didn't have anyone to ask for help. I read so much on the forum and got help with technical issues, hardware advice, juice recommendations...and still got down to only 4 or 5 a day. Always in the evening after I got home. Then just before summer, I decided to make it a vapetastic summer. I know home is my trigger and I knew I'd be home all day every day with my two little girls, so I really wanted to quit smoking around them. I did well during the day and got down to 1-2 a day after they went to bed. I wasn't happy with myself but it was progress. Then after school started up, my dh (who also smokes and vapes) went out of town for work. I was able to quit completely while he was gone. I thought for months that it was the alkaloids in tobacco that were holding me back, and it was, to a point. I had weaned myself down *super slowly* and didn't have to add snus or snuff into my vaping. I would have if necessary but I decided to give it time rather than having a third thing I was addicted to. I've had a few hiccups since he got home from his business trip. I noticed I was starting to fall back into old routines of 1 every night, and so I made a commitment to myself to just stop. I want one badly, but I know it's always a let down. I've got plenty of hardware, plenty of juices, flavors I like. There's nothing missing from my set up. I just needed to make the decision for myself after having lots of time to master the learning curve and get many different choices in equipment and juice. I've been smoke free...well this is my fifth day. I've gone 8 days at a time, so I know I can do it. It is still work for me, but I've given it plenty of time to "just happen" and it didn't work for me. I make the choice every day to go to bed without going outside... and I'm proud of myself.

Don't think that if it takes you a long time that it won't work. Vaping is different from other quit methods, like you said. With other methods, just one put me back to smoking like a chimney. I had nothing else to substitute when the stress of quitting hit me. Vaping works for me for that reason alone, having one didn't mean I failed. It meant I wasn't ready yet. It meant I was still weaning myself off the alkaloids, it meant I needed to change how I looked at it. Give yourself time. Notice and focus on how many you are not smoking. Eventually you will have had enough and whether it's easy at that point or still an effort, you WILL be able to do it.

coralie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread