How Long Did It Take You...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiram13pm

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2010
Merced, CA
I stand by my view.

Your experience is your own. Insisting that everyone else is lying doesn't change theirs. Maybe some of them are, I don't know... I can only speak for myself. I got my first ecig on a Sunday night. Monday I had 13 analogs, Tuesday 6, and Wednesday 3; at 1:30 pm, I gave a co-worker my last one, and haven't smoked since. His handle here is Acheron, and I eventually converted him... ask him if you want.

That's not to say anything disparaging about people who take longer, or NEVER totally quit... any vaping is good, because it means less analogs than you were smoking the day before. Everyone's experience is different.

Last edited:

okwriter

Sep 29, 2010
Oklahoma
I am anxiously awaiting my kit, but I'm NOT going into this thinking I will quit analogs. After many failed attempts before, I don't want to set myself up for disappointment. I am, however, guardedly hopeful that I can quit! And I figure if I cut down at all, then that's an improvement! Please let us know how you're doing as time goes on.

hiram13pm

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2010
Merced, CA
Bluebelle, think of it like playing craps: Sometimes, you roll a 7 right out of the gate. Sometimes you roll an 8 and then hit your point pretty quick; sometimes your point is a 4, and and it seems like it takes for ever to hit it.

Some people luck out and hit that "sweet spot" of vaping immediately, or almost immediately. Some people take longer to find it, and a few never do... but even they are doing their lungs and their pocketbooks a favor by replacing some or most of their analogs with vapor.

Keep trying. I still kinda-sorta wanted one (but could resist it) for a while, until I tried a LR atomizer. Since I went LR and tried a bunch of other "tweaks", I've had absolutely no desire whatsoever for an analog.

Another thing to remember: There are thousands of chemical compounds in cigarette smoke, and we really don't know all the properties of most of them. Nicotine is universally addictive in humans, but what about the others? I think there's a real possibility that many of those other compounds are selectively addictive; they affect different people in different ways. Some become addicted to those AND nicotine, other people are just nicotine addicts.

Last edited:

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
I know there are plenty of vapers around here who continued to smoke for several months or even up to a year later (some still smoke on occasion) but many of them will say that one day they just sort of realized that they hadn't smoked in a week or so... they just sort of 'forgot' to smoke after a while. It happens. Don't put too much pressure on yourself.

Here's what helped me:

*comparison smoking:
light up a cigarette and have your PV loaded and ready to go. Puff the cigarette and really try to experience it. How does it taste? How does the smoke feel in your mouth? in your throat? Do you get a head rush? How does it feel in your lungs? How does it smell? Really evaluate what you like or don't like about it.

Now have a puff off your PV. Ask yourself all the same questions; is the feeling of the vapor in my throat any better or worse than smoking? Does this taste better or worse than my cigarette? Does this feel better or worse in my lungs? Does this smell better or worse than my cigarette?

My experience was that vaping wasn't really any better or worse than smoking, just different. That helped me to try part two:

*vaping against the urge to smoke....

Whenever I got the urge to smoke I'd say to myself, "if vaping doesn't make it better in 10 minutes, you can have that cigarette." So I'd vape and read the ECF forum. I found that in about 5 minutes of really hitting my PV HARD the urge to smoke would go away... for a while. When it came back, I'd make the same promise to myself, "if this doesn't work in 10 minutes, you can have a cigarette." It always worked, so I never did get that cigarette AND every time I did it, it would take longer and longer for the urge to smoke to return.

and lastly, to get a better nicotine hit from my PV I started to change the way I used it..
*the nose hit:

Suck the vapor into your mouth and blow it out through your nose two or three times in a row before inhaling into your lungs. Believe it or not, you get a better dose of nicotine this way. Nicotine is absorbed in your mucous membranes, not so much your lungs, so the more vapor hits your mouth, nose, cheeks, throat, the better nicotine hit you'll get.

Xanax

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2010
East Coast
I know there are plenty of vapers around here who continued to smoke for several months or even up to a year later (some still smoke on occasion) but many of them will say that one day they just sort of realized that they hadn't smoked in a week or so... they just sort of 'forgot' to smoke after a while. It happens. Don't put too much pressure on yourself.

Here's what helped me:

*comparison smoking:
light up a cigarette and have your PV loaded and ready to go. Puff the cigarette and really try to experience it. How does it taste? How does the smoke feel in your mouth? in your throat? Do you get a head rush? How does it feel in your lungs? How does it smell? Really evaluate what you like or don't like about it.

Now have a puff off your PV. Ask yourself all the same questions; is the feeling of the vapor in my throat any better or worse than smoking? Does this taste better or worse than my cigarette? Does this feel better or worse in my lungs? Does this smell better or worse than my cigarette?

My experience was that vaping wasn't really any better or worse than smoking, just different. That helped me to try part two:

*vaping against the urge to smoke....

Whenever I got the urge to smoke I'd say to myself, "if vaping doesn't make it better in 10 minutes, you can have that cigarette." So I'd vape and read the ECF forum. I found that in about 5 minutes of really hitting my PV HARD the urge to smoke would go away... for a while. When it came back, I'd make the same promise to myself, "if this doesn't work in 10 minutes, you can have a cigarette." It always worked, so I never did get that cigarette AND every time I did it, it would take longer and longer for the urge to smoke to return.

and lastly, to get a better nicotine hit from my PV I started to change the way I used it..
*the nose hit:

Suck the vapor into your mouth and blow it out through your nose two or three times in a row before inhaling into your lungs. Believe it or not, you get a better dose of nicotine this way. Nicotine is absorbed in your mucous membranes, not so much your lungs, so the more vapor hits your mouth, nose, cheeks, throat, the better nicotine hit you'll get.

Great post and suggestions.

maclean

ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2010
italy
What helped me was having a stronger juice for those 'trigger' moments when I desperately wanted a cigarette. If you find 24mg doesn't hack it, go for broke and get a 36mg juice. If you feel the urge to smoke, hit the 36mg until it passes, then go back to vaping a lower juice.

Note - I'm not in the habit of advising high nic levels, but sometimes it's necessary. Addiction is a powerful thing and you only realise how powerful when you start fighting it.

mac

Lisa B

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2010
Central City, Colorado
Don't sweat it, it took me months. I was flying solo and with the wrong ecigs. Then I found this forum, got a 510 and some different juice and I kind of quit by accident. I originally went into this to cut from 2 packs to 1 and I did that with the old ones. After finding this forum and getting real support, I found the pv and flavors that worked for me. When I was 2 weeks analog free I bought my eGo and what a difference. I am at almost a month analog free and hardly ever think of having a smoke, I still have a pack in my purse but I don't need them but for me it is important to have them just to know I don't need them and not that I can't have one. So don't beat yourself up, you are doing just fine.

Xanax

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2010
East Coast
What helped me was having a stronger juice for those 'trigger' moments when I desperately wanted a cigarette. If you find 24mg doesn't hack it, go for broke and get a 36mg juice. If you feel the urge to smoke, hit the 36mg until it passes, then go back to vaping a lower juice.

Note - I'm not in the habit of advising high nic levels, but sometimes it's necessary. Addiction is a powerful thing and you only realise how powerful when you start fighting it.

mac

This is great advice too because I think some of what holds people back from quitting might be that the nic levels aren't high enough to kick the habit. That was my experience at least. Got 36mg and was able to quit. I still have the 36mg liquids on hand but haven't had to use them again just yet. But I'm expecting to need them at some point.

JonnyVapΣ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2010
Rochester NY
Hello fellow Rottenchester resident! I started off on the blu as well. Didn't last long since they're not Harley friendly (sound activated auto-battery). Actually, I killed it since I really enjoy vaping. I then picked up a pair of 4081's. Much better but not very common anymore except for the gas stations and that thief charging $129/kit in Marketplace mall. Currently I'm using a pair of 510's (and selling kits to friends and family near cost) as well as some home made mods.

What worked for me;
I didn't pressure myself to stop smoking (16 year smoker. Tried quitting several times in the past).
I bought a lot of different juices but stayed away from anything resembling tobacco flavor.
I've settled on a few flavors that I really like and change them up every so often to keep things interesting. (I now make my own juice in a ton of flavors and different nicotine strength)
I've also gotten into the tech side of vaping. This also keeps my interest up. I love gadgets.
I use 510 standard batteries during the day since they're light and easy. Although they resemble a cigarette I no longer hold it like a cigarette (especially since they're manual battery). I've disassociated 'vaping' with 'smoking' completely.
I went from over a pack a day to about 1/2 pack a day to a few then zero in about 10 days or so. Cigarettes started tasting bad compared to the juice I was using. Cigarettes were also starting to make me feel ill...even when I was smoking one the entire day (lighting it, couple puffs, put it out, smoke a couple puffs later in the day, etc). I didn't force myself at all but allowed myself to move on to something much better.

In the past I've thought about my kids and what I was doing to my own home. Cigarettes killed my uncle about a year and a half ago. I was running out of breath way too easy. I could be spending cigarette money on much better things (Like vapeware!). None of these things gave me the kick-in-the-... to quit. I ALWAYS told myself 'I'll quit eventually before I get myself into any real trouble'. Smokers bull.... ourselves more than anyone else I can think of. I let myself settle into some hardware I like and some juice flavors I like and it seemed to happen naturally.

It's also comforting to know that I'm not the only one....

mary_d

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2010
Indiana
www.parkesvaping.com
I just started vaping last week but was having a really hard time getting off the analog (2 1/2-3 packs a day for over 20 years). I was getting discouraged and depressed until yesterday when a new juice I ordered came in the mail. I put it in vaped a few times and that was all it took. I have not even wanted a analog since. What is even better is i left earlier and when I came back home I walked in the door and gagged at the smell. My house smells like a stale cigarette or a great big ashtray it's nasty! I am having such a hard time now trying to imagine what I even thought tasted good about a analog :). I got the mar-boh 24 mg full flavor from viking favor and it is such a different but wonderful taste and now it has me wanting to try coffee and fruity flavors and every taste I can get my hands on LOL.

Good luck you will get there trust me. It's all about the juice!

bluebelle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2010
Rochester New York
Glad to know I am not the only one having these issues. I have been refilling my prefilled cartridges with some 26mg juice that came from cignot with the kit (USA Mix). Refilling is much better and satisfying than the prepackaged cartridges, I agree.

I also ordered empty cartridges with my juice orders and extra atomizers so I can enjoy the sweet flavors separately from the new tobacco ones. Am hoping that will make a difference. I was thinking of going to 30mg or 36mg if I like any of these new flavors to see if that helps.

I had not thought of the other ingredients in cigarettes that I may be addicted to, not just the nicotine. That makes sense.

I am going to try and have a smoke free evening tonight. I have 5 sweet flavored samplers suppose to arrive at my door today when I am at work and one new tobaccoflavored one, along with a USA mix since I know I can at least get by with that if all the flavors don't cut it. Plenty to try and vape away with and incentive not to touch the analog, even for me I hope.

Sandybeach40

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2010
Colorado
I started like you with the blu and then on to a Joye Ego. For me Flavor and Vapor where the 2 things I needed to make the transition. I tried alot of flavors and the only one I could use to eliminate my craving was 24mg Flue Cured Tobacco from Strictly E Juice. After I was analog free for about 2 weeks I never vaped it again but it worked for me. Now I'm vaping BWB, ELP, JC,

Keep your Cigs on you at all times. Keep your PV on you at all times. Smoke when you want it. Vape in between. Once you get used to Vaping and find a flavor you LOVE TO DEATH your there.

17 Year Smoker, FREE AND NOLONGER A SLAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread