How long did you smoke for? Why did you smoke? When did you quit? Just curious!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello and welcome, Tatiana! And congratulations on quitting the cigarettes.

I started smoking at age 18, and smoked for 25 years. In my case, I'm pretty sure I started to self-medicate a moderate case of clinical depression. Fortunately, medications for that got much better as the years wore on and it's not a problem I suffer any longer as long as I drop my pill in the morning (which I just did).

Discovering vaping was great, although we did have to adjust my meds a bit as the nicotine level I used dropped. As of now, I'm down to 5 mg/ml (I DIY my liquids so I have very fine control) and still meandering down on the nicotine every now and again.

Whatnametouse

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Montreal
Smoked for 39 years. Started because as a teen in 1975 it was "cool" to smoke. Throughout the 70's it remained cool. Even though the introduction of no smoking areas in restaurants, stores, public transportation and my doctor's office (remember when you could smoke in a waiting room?) came in, I was hooked. Saw a colleague walking down the street with an eGo spinner, asked her what it was, did some research and 2 weeks later threw out my last analog

welcome to the jungle...

PennyLynn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2014
Rockledge, FL, USA
I smoked a pack and a half every day, for the last 40-plus years and without even wanting to very much, I quit over the course of FIVE DAYS. I'm so grateful to the neighbor who showed me his vaping device, let me try it, and helped me order a more female-friendly version. I also do yoga, and I can actually breathe now when the instructor tells me to!
My sister says that when she quit smoking it was like losing her best friend...and I think that's putting it mildly! The addiction, and all that go with it, are so insidious and hard to fight. I stopped once, with hypnosis, for 7 months, but I never stopped missing it, and was mildly depressed for that whole time.
I'm 63 now, and my mom (emphysema from smoking), my daughters, my sister, and my husband are so happy for me. And a Facebook friend was inspired to quit by me!
So be confident you found something wonderful and let's hope that our voices are heard by these insane legislators who really have no clue what it's all about. I congratulate you and hope you'll feel proud and happy like I do!

Tomthern

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
White River Junction, VT
I smoked for about 6 years then quit for 12. I then had a day that I wanted one and then it was suddenly 10 years later. I treied the ecig and still couldn't stop. A friend had a heart attack and that motivared me. I have now not smoked a cigarette in over 3 weeks and don't want them. My breathing is better and I am having a great time with my eGo which I know is a low end but it keeps me happy. I also bought an epipe that I love at night. It reminds me of my dad who I lost a few years ago. I'm not going back but I may get a better set up eventually because there are so many choices.

Tom

Whatnametouse

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Montreal
Smoking for the last 16 years ie since '98 after joining college and becoming sort of independent. Have been trying to quit since the last year but the e-ciggs at the medical shop counter didnt help the cause. Ordered some from Bullsmoke, which arrived today. So only a day for now.

Good luck...you will do it

CalamityJess

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I smoked for 24 years, started when I was 16. I just switched to ecigs last month. In a week I put down my pack a day habit. I was like you somewhat. Even when my body was saying stop it (smoking and on birth control pills at 30...chest pains), even when my grandmother died from emphysema, my dad died from liver cancer (drinking, not smoking...oddly aside from the emphysema he'd always had his lungs were clear of cancer). My bbest friend got an ecig around New Years, and I tried it. I thought it was cool, but wasn't really excited about it.

Until the cold decided to settle in Georgia, and this sounds stupid but that's what did it. I didn't want to freeze my .... off in the garage to smoke. So I got one myself. My smoking was cut by half on 18mg nic. Decided to try 24mg a week later. That was it. Smoke free since January 25, 2014.

Miata GT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Largo, FL
To the OP: Thank you for being so honest and open in your story, it says alot about you as a person and I love your enthusiasm.

That being said, I started at 19, after living my whole life in a household where my mother smoked. The funny thing is that her smoking was not the reason I started smoking, but it was an enabler after the fact. I was always against smoking until a new guy who smoked and drank joined the circle of friends I hung out with. As a group we had alway hung out and had a few beers but it wasn't until Mike, the new guy, started suggesting we go out and party more than I got into heavier drinking, then smoking.

I started with one a night, sneaking outside with one of my mom's cigarettes stolen from her omnipresent pack, to get the nicotne rush. It wasn't long until I was taking packs from her carton, then buying my own. Around the same time I moved out and my roommate was a 2-pack a day smoker, that did it. I became a smoker for the next almost 30 years.

I twice tried BLUs and while they were OK to smoke/vape at work, I still craved the real thing when I got home. Part of it was the inconsitency with BLU cartriges and the so-so vape. I was able to officially quit last November after getting my hair cut. A vape store had just opened next store and, while the wife was getting her hair cut, I went over to check it out.

I couldn't believe I had never heard of vaping, and with 2 bottles of e-juice, a couple of eGo 900mah batteries and T3Ss in my hand as I left the store I was able to finally quit.

It re-enforces how much it sucks that I got into the hobby just as the gubmint is starting to try to step in. I have become friends with that shop owner and promote them whenever I can to smokers that I know because they helped me, paying it forward you know?

Anyway congratulations for quitting and finding this group. I am a forum owner and admin (not this one) and am also a member of numerous forums and ECF is one of the very best, with some of the best and most helpful people.

Welcome!

Edit: BTW, both my mom and my aunt (her sister) died in the last 5 years from lung cancer and COPD, brought on from a lifetime of smoking. I would have been in line for the same death without a doubt were it not for e-cigarettes.

Last edited:

1/2 fast

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
SW Ohio
Smoked 47 years. Like someone wrote earlier I started at age 15 'cause it was "cool". Smoked a pack and a half per day. A friend who started vaping last summer took me to his favorite vape shop and I had my last cigarette on the way to the shop. That was December 1st last year and I haven't had a cigarette since.

Had a few bad craving spells early on but I'm still amazed on how easy it was overall. I'd had many failed attempts at quitting prior to that. Vaping has worked for me when cold turkey, meds, patches/ gum and even hypnosis had all failed miserably. Losing the morning coughing and hacking is a present I never expected this late in the game.......

dead not sleeping

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2014
Land of Thunder, Upstate NY
I smoked for 38 yrs. Ended up with 1 1/2pk/day unfiltered little cigars for the last 3 yrs.
I can't remember why I started, but I know I couldn't quit. Tried everything Big Pharma had to offer, and failed.
My last smoke was the day after Christmas '13, the very minute I got my starter kit and juice in the mail. Merry Christmas!
Never looked back.

Even after only 2+ months, I don't cough my brains out in the AM anymore. I don't wake up in the middle of the night unable to breathe anymore. I'm better winded. I can smell and taste food again, (I never thought I lost the taste buds, that was a surprise). My teeth are whiter, my wallet is greener. I feel better every day. Once you are over the first week or two of dry throat, lungs clearing themselves out phase, its a smooth sail. Drink lots of water.

Be PROUD of yourself. Quitting the analogs is one mean mother of a thing to accomplish. Congrats and welcome to ECF! Happy Dances are optional, but encouraged.

Lucky1384

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2014
Sheffield, UK
Smoked for 14 years, ages 15 to 29. Started on packs, switched to rolling tobacco after about 5 years. Tried everything to quit, worst one were the Nicorette Inhalators! Every 'puff' made me cough a lung up, probably felt the same as inhaling undiluted and unflavoured nic juice! Even tried snus and snuff in my desperation.

This time with e-cigs I'm finding it ridiculously easy :D

Say10

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2014
Chicago
Started my senior year in high school when I was 17. I hid it from my mom as long as I could, my dad was a 2/3 pack a day smoker so the smell was everywhere in the house, cars etc. I enlisted in the Marine Corps after graduation and obviously quit through boot camp but started back up when I came home for leave.
I was kind of a casual smoker at first but I started smoking a lot more in my late 20's. I got up to a pack and a half a day consistently from my 20's till I finally quit on January 1st of 2014.

Marlboro Lights were my brand/flavor of choice. A few times a month I'd pick up a pack of Parliment Lights, I liked em but I seemed to smoke a lot more of them, they seem to burn quicker. I liked a menthol from time to time but they always gave me headaches.

Took my last drag on December 31st, 11:59pm right before the new year and let me tell ya, I feel like a kid again. I'm passionate about vaping as I truly feel it's not only given me my life back it saved my life. 23 years, pack and a half a day.

Last edited:

CKCalmer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2014
My mancave
I began smoking, much to the chagrin of my parents, when I was 16 years old. The summer of 1984. I started for the same reason most teens start smoking - It was cool, man! There was just no way to be cool if you didn't smoke. I began with the same cigs that my friends smoked - Marlboro Reds. Back then, a pack was $1. I smoked about a pack a day at first, so my weekly habit cost me 7 bucks. Obviously I grew up and became smarter, but I still wasn't strong enough to quit. Within a couple of months, I had switched to Salem Lights. (They're "light", so they must be healthier, right? Pah!)

Over the next three decades I gradually increased my daily intake to about one-and-a-half packs, then to two. I'm 46 now. 30 years of my life I've given to the Tobacco Devil. Averaging about 30 cigarettes per day for 30 years, that's 328,500 cigs. 16,425 packs. Over the years, the cost went up as well, just as it has for everyone. A pack of Salem Lights where I live now costs about $5. Cheap compared to many places in the world. (I live in the sticks - rural central Georgia.) So figure an average of $3.50 over the 30 year span, and I've spent some $57,487.50. Geez! That was a year's salary when I was in my mid twenties. Over 50 grand that I'll never get back again.

The one thing I'm grateful for over all this time is that, at least to my knowledge, I haven't yet suffered any major health issues from smoking. I've never coughed particularly much. Never had chest pains. I do give out of breath after only a couple of minutes when I'm doing something strenuous, but then again, when I was a kid I had surprisingly short physical endurance too, so I don't know how much of that I can rightly attribute to smoking. I'm sure it has caused some of it, though. It surely hasn't helped.

Then, around Christmas last year, I decided to heed the advice of Stephen Dorff and Jenny McCarthy, whose ads were on TV every day, and buy a Blu e-cig starter kit. When I started using it, I had a very positive attitude. I really wanted it to work for me. And mind over matter being what it is, it did for a little while.

It helped that I'm a tech geek and a gadget junkie, too. I've worked in corporate IT for most of my career, and now I build gaming PCs for a living. When I can, that is. I've been disabled as a result of cervical radiculopathy in my neck - vertebral discs C5/C6 and C6/C7. Before I finally had surgery in Nov 2006 and another in Feb 2007, the condition had damaged the nerve cluster that transits from my spinal cord through my left shoulder and down my left arm. I have continual nerve pain - it feels like shooting electrical shocks every few seconds, with a constant soreness and partial numbness, spiking and tingling from my shoulder all the way to the fingers on my left hand. According to four doctors (three neurosurgeons and one GP), this wasn't caused or significantly aggravated by smoking. So I really can't blame smoking for it. It's just something that happened to me recently.

Anyway, back to the Blus... After several days, I realized I was pulling really hard on them and no longer getting the hit I wanted. Blu uses no PG in their e-liquids, so that explains the lack of a throat hit. And they're so small - they're really the same size as analogs, rather than the oversized form factor of the Halo G6 and most others. Being so small, the batteries held very little charge, and the cartos ran out quickly. LONG before the 200 puffs or so that they advertise. I did like the charging case, though. I found it a bit bulky, but it did it's job quite well.

But no matter how nice the case is, I just wasn't going to quit smoking with Blus. I was back on analogs, and on the hunt for a new e-cig solution. I read and read reviews on the 'net, coming across this place more than a few times, in fact. Gleaning all that I had learned, I decided Halo would be a good next step. And boy, was I right! I ordered the G6 starter kit. Much cheaper than the Blu kit (and most of the others I looked at, in fact). The difference in quality compared with the Blu e-cigs was like night and day.

"Wow! So THIS is what they mean when they say 'throat hit'!" And HUGE vapor. And the cartos and batteries lasted considerably longer than the Blus did. I started on the Halo kit vaping 24mg/mL nicotine at a rate of about 1mL - one carto's worth - per day. I bought their menthol variety pack at the same time I ordered the G6 kit. Most of the flavors I liked very much. "Wow! I didn't know e-cigs could taste so good!" In fact, I'm still using a mix of Menthol ICE and SubZero which I refer to as "Freezing Rain" on my bottle labels. (I've described it several times on ECF.) Such a great vape, it is!

Eventually, invention being the mother of necessity and all ( :?: ), I wanted more hit and vapor than even the G6 could give me. So I Tritoned up! And that brings us to now. I'm Tritoning some Freezing Rain as I write this.

And in the whirlwind of time since I began my (still new) vaping career, I realized that I hadn't smoked an analog since the day I got my G6 starter kit. January 16th, 2014. After vaping it for several hours through the afternoon on that first day, I was curious to compare, so I lit up one more analog. NASTY! YUCKY! How did I ever smoke these vile things?!?

And that, as they say ........ was that. :)

Last edited:

chunkluv

Feb 5, 2014
Ohio
I have been smoking for over 20 years. I started smoking when I was 16 mainly for shock value, as I was a straight laced kid. I haven't quit yet, but I use additive free tobacco and have a machine to make my own filtered cigs. I only smoke 1 cigarette a day though. Just in the morning with my coffee, which is my favorite time to have a smoke. I was smoking 2 packs of Parliaments a day before I went to vaping.

Say10

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2014
Chicago
I began smoking, much to the chagrin of my parents, when I was 16 years old. The summer of 1984. I started for the same reason most teens start smoking - It was cool, man! There was just no way to be cool if you didn't smoke. I began with the same cigs that my friends smoked - Marlboro Reds. Back then, a pack was $1. I smoked about a pack a day at first, so my weekly habit cost me 7 bucks. Obviously I grew up and became smarter, but I still wasn't strong enough to quit. Within a couple of months, I had switched to Salem Lights. (They're "light", so they must be healthier, right? Pah!)

Over the next three decades I gradually increased my daily intake to about one-and-a-half packs, then to two. I'm 46 now. 30 years of my life I've given to the Tobacco Devil. Averaging about 30 cigarettes per day for 30 years, that's 328,500 cigs. 16,425 packs. Over the years, the cost went up as well, just as it has for everyone. A pack of Salem Lights where I live now costs about $5. Cheap compared to many places in the world. (I live in the sticks - rural central Georgia.) So figure an average of $3.50 over the 30 year span, and I've spent some $57,487.50. Geez! That was a year's salary when I was in my mid twenties. Over 50 grand that I'll never get back again.

The one thing I'm grateful for over all this time is that, at least to my knowledge, I haven't yet suffered any major health issues from smoking. I've never coughed particularly much. Never had chest pains. I do give out of breath after only a couple of minutes when I'm doing something strenuous, but then again, when I was a kid I had surprisingly short physical endurance too, so I don't know how much of that I can rightly attribute to smoking. I'm sure it has caused some of it, though. It surely hasn't helped.

Then, around Christmas last year, I decided to heed the advice of Stephen Dorff and Jenny McCarthy, whose ads were on TV every day, and buy a Blu e-cig starter kit. When I started using it, I had a very positive attitude. I really wanted it to work for me. And mind over matter being what it is, it did for a little while.

It helped that I'm a tech geek and a gadget junkie, too. I've worked in corporate IT for most of my career, and now I build gaming PCs for a living. When I can, that is. I've been disabled as a result of cervical radiculopathy in my neck - vertebral discs C5/C6 and C6/C7. Before I finally had surgery in Nov 2006 and another in Feb 2007, the condition had damaged the nerve cluster that transits from my spinal cord through my left shoulder and down my left arm. I have continual nerve pain - it feels like shooting electrical shocks every few seconds, with a constant soreness and partial numbness, spiking and tingling from my shoulder all the way to the fingers on my left hand. According to four doctors (three neurosurgeons and one GP), this wasn't caused or significantly aggravated by smoking. So I really can't blame smoking for it. It's just something that happened to me recently.

Anyway, back to the Blus... After several days, I realized I was pulling really hard on them and no longer getting the hit I wanted. Blu uses no PG in their e-liquids, so that explains the lack of a throat hit. And they're so small - they're really the same size as analogs, rather than the oversized form factor of the Halo G6 and most others. Being so small, the batteries held very little charge, and the cartos ran out quickly. LONG before the 200 puffs or so that they advertise. I did like the charging case, though. I found it a bit bulky, but it did it's job quite well.

But no matter how nice the case is, I just wasn't going to quit smoking with Blus. I was back on analogs, and on the hunt for a new e-cig solution. I read and read reviews on the 'net, coming across this place more than a few times, in fact. Gleaning all that I had learned, I decided Halo would be a good next step. And boy, was I right! I ordered the G6 starter kit. Much cheaper than the Blu kit (and most of the others I looked at, in fact). The difference in quality compared with the Blu e-cigs was like night and day.

"Wow! So THIS is what they mean when they say 'throat hit'!" And HUGE vapor. And the cartos and batteries lasted considerably longer than the Blus did. I started on the Halo kit vaping 24mg/mL nicotine at a rate of about 1mL - one carto's worth - per day. I bought their menthol variety pack at the same time I ordered the G6 kit. Most of the flavors I liked very much. "Wow! I didn't know e-cigs could taste so good!" In fact, I'm still using a mix of Menthol ICE and SubZero which I refer to as "Freezing Rain" on my bottle labels. (I've described it several times on ECF.) Such a great vape, it is!

Eventually, invention being the mother of necessity and all ( :?: ), I wanted more hit and vapor than even the G6 could give me. So I Tritoned up! And that brings us to now. I'm Tritoning some Freezing Rain as I write this.

And in the whirlwind of time since I began my (still new) vaping career, I realized that I hadn't smoked an analog since the day I got my G6 starter kit. January 16th, 2014. After vaping it for several hours through the afternoon on that first day, I was curious to compare, so I lit up one more analog. NASTY! YUCKY! How did I ever smoke these vile things?!?

And that, as they say ........ was that. :)

Congratulations CK.

CKCalmer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2014
My mancave
Thanks, Say10. :)

It really did sneak up on me, the fact that I had quit analogs. It was over a week into my G6 kit when I came to realize "I haven't smoked even once in over a week. And better yet, I don't want one, either! Victory!"

Ah - I love the smell of victory in the morning. Smells like ........ vapor!

(And congrats to everyone else here who has been victorious in defeating their desire to smoke. Rock on!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread