How much were cigs when you starting smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scheherezade

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
VA Beach
ummmm how do I say this without getting smacked around on the forum... I just assumed that if you could buy cigs for under 25 cents you were atleast over 50 years old.

Get used to it, I'm 46 and if I haven't done too much damage from 30 years of smoking I plan on getting a lot older. LOL

DawnH

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2010
Ozarks in Arkansas
When I started they were about .35 a pack, I think. Can't remember back that far LOL When I turned 18, my dad would send me to the store for a carton of Pall Mall reds with a $5 bill and I got 3 quarters back and that was in 1977. We used to go across the bridge or tunnel to Canada (sometimes) to get our smokes because they were cheaper there!

I can remember paying .70 a pack. Then again I also remember tobacco companies handing out packs of cigarettes as samples at the county fairgrounds. Nothing ever beat free smokes and the guys handing them out were paid by the crate they handed out so you could just stand there with a bag and take them all.....

OMG! I remember that too! My hubby's neighbor was one of those people who passed them out. Well, he didn't really pass them out, 'cause my hubby and the gang would have garbage bags full of half packs!

xRNGx

Jul 14, 2010
MD
Just like everyone else, I cannot stand without a cigarette in my hand for more than an hour. Moderately smoke around half a pack a day for 9 years. It it is ridiculous that I have to make time for a stupid cigarette break, thanks to my little PV, I manage to quit smoking and not purchasing tobacco product in couple month, perfect that I did it before winter time because those breaks sucks.

cjf1961

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2010
Oswego, New York
In 1976 when I started smoking they were .45 cents for the first pack I ever bought, the last pack I ever bought in Jan 2010 were $8.65 and now they are $10.85, not sure what gas was because I couldn't drive then, but I think it was about .50 a gallon and I'm not 50 yet. Thank goodness I had a job, so my parents were never the wiser about spending lunch money, lol

irwink

CASAA Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2010
Norfolk, Virginia, USA
As best I can remember they were $.35 or so a pack in 1966 when I first bought 'em. Gasoline was still cheaper per gallon. In '72 there was a small gas war here. One station was selling it for $.19. By then cigs were about $.50 a pack and people were in a huff swearing to quit if they went any higher. That didn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread