How old are you and how long did you smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

audio

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Nebraska
soopervyln,

I didn't want to talk (respond) about this, but I looked at your thread anyway. I'm surprised (and disappointed) that so many of you started so young. Perhaps some of you would be good enough to explain the attraction/persuasion/influences that led you to start smoking. Advertising? Were you rural/urban? Peer pressure? Etc.

I did a lot of drugs during the 1960s and 1970s. Imagine the largest closet in your house chock full of Darvon, Valium, Qualudes, psilocybin, ..., peyote, pot, drugs whose names I don't even remember. (I never had much use for ....... or heroine; they didn't have any noticeable affect on me) When I graduated from college in 1980 (I know, before most of you were even born) I decided that it would be best to quit drugs because I needed to embark on a career, you know get serious! On my first job, I was out in the middle of nowhere and had a long ride home (two days on a fast pony), and a guy was smoking Chesterfields. I asked if I could bum one for the ride, and he gave me a whole pack! I was thrilled! I'm off drugs, and now I have something legal!

Of course, Chesterfields were horrible, but I soon made the cigarette/coffee and cigarette/beer connection, and I was a smoker! No more illegal drugs! I can smoke anywhere! That was the 80s. And I've been an addict ever since. For me, there is nothing that I've ever consumed that led to an addiction. Except cigarettes!

So soop. Here's my response. Started about 25 years ago, I was about 26 years old, and I'm now smoking about half as much as a week ago. I just started vaping and hope to work the bugs out soon, but a reminder to those that are discouraged. There isn't anything more addictive than cigarettes, and they're legal. Don't be too ambitious or you'll likely fail. For the first time ever, I wake up in the middle of the night and have trouble falling to sleep. So what! Get out of bed, get a large glass of water, and smoke a couple of analogs! Water is good! Lying awake in bed solves nothing!

God love and bless you all!

DemonCowboy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2010
Florida, US
soopervyln,

I didn't want to talk (respond) about this, but I looked at your thread anyway. I'm surprised (and disappointed) that so many of you started so young. Perhaps some of you would be good enough to explain the attraction/persuasion/influences that led you to start smoking. Advertising? Were you rural/urban? Peer pressure? Etc.

for me it was simple, i can't stand hypocrites and when my father had a cig between his fingers as he told me he better never catch me smoking... well i had to see what the big deal was. I am also the 1 that got my friend that decided to quit and asked me to research e cigs to help him quit to start in the first place. *shrug*

EmmyEm84

May 14, 2009
Chicago, IL
I am 25 years old and started smoking right after I turned 21, so four years.
Its amazing that I started smoking in the first place considering i have no family members that smoke and my parents are completely against it. I was raised not to do it and I couldnt stand the smell of it or the thought of doing it.
My boyfriend had all these friends and I remember wanting to be friends with all of them. I wanted to be the girlfriend that the guys could hang out with. My boyfriends friends would offer me cigs and I would smoke "occasionally" when I drank. It was like social lubricant, just like booze. Then one day I realized I had bummed so many cigs from his friends i should buy a pack to "repay" them, that was the end of that. My boyfriend also started smoking when I did.
Since I lived with my parents up until a year ago I never smoked inside which made smoking a big deal, and I had to go outside which was a pain.
I smoked about a half pack a day, and even more when I went out. Even after the ban I could kill a pack at the club on a Saturday (being at the club from 10-5am).
I felt my lung capacity going down, I was out of breath from just standing. So I decided to quit, and so has my boyfriend.
We will see how this goes, its only been 4 days.
BTW, im female. lol

otrpu

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2010
Colorado
Older than dirt. Well, actually only 66. Started playin with um when I was 12. Was a paperboy when 14 and the peer pressure and look-at-me was in full swing. That's when I started inhaling instead of just a puffin. So, I figure I started at 15, dad gave in and allowed it in the house by the time I was 16. What a thing to have to be able to say. At least 51 years. Jesus help me.

Cheers,
otrpu

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread