How old are you and how long did you smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnosis

Jun 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Older than dirt. Well, actually only 66. Started playin with um when I was 12. Was a paperboy when 14 and the peer pressure and look-at-me was in full swing. That's when I started inhaling instead of just a puffin. So, I figure I started at 15, dad gave in and allowed it in the house by the time I was 16. What a thing to have to be able to say. At least 51 years. Jesus help me.

Cheers,
otrpu
I'm just curious, have you quit and for how long? Hope you don't take offense but have been trying to get my mother to quit and am not getting anywhere .. bought her everything she needs but she complains about this and that.

I'm 30, so I can relate that she has been smoking a lot longer than me, but it was so easy .. almost accidental for me to quit.

Do you have any tips for those stuck with a 50+ year habbit?

audio

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Nebraska
Older than dirt. Well, actually only 66. Started playin with um when I was 12. Was a paperboy when 14 and the peer pressure and look-at-me was in full swing. That's when I started inhaling instead of just a puffin. So, I figure I started at 15, dad gave in and allowed it in the house by the time I was 16. What a thing to have to be able to say. At least 51 years. Jesus help me.

Cheers,
otrpu

He will. Important people die every day. Make a difference. That's all He asks of us.

Sorry: off topic!

AJMoore

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2009
Here and back
58 (almost) female
41 years smoker
1 pk day on average
In 3 days it will be 6 months, no analogs

Audio, don't know how old you are but back in the 60's when I started, smoking was OK, nobody said not to smoke. No warnings on packs, etc. It was "cool".

For the most part, if you can get kids out of high school without smoking, you pretty much have it made. It happens, but more rarely that a young "adult" will start if they've weaved their way through high school without picking up the habit.

Locale makes a big difference as well (and education), here in western NC I believe the majority of teens smoke, not so good. Education, economics and social acceptance all play a part.

audio

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Nebraska
I'm just curious, have you quit and for how long? Hope you don't take offense but have been trying to get my mother to quit and am not getting anywhere .. bought her everything she needs but she complains about this and that.

I'm 30, so I can relate that she has been smoking a lot longer than me, but it was so easy .. almost accidental for me to quit.

Do you have any tips for those stuck with a 50+ year habbit?

G. OK if I ask questions? (For you, no need to answer) Could it be that she's not comfortable with technology in general? My Mom's a real estate agent (not a smoker, btw) in her 80s. There are some things she has to do on line (multiple listing service) and she can email us, but she usually calls us on the phone, which is fine.

I don't have a cell phone at the moment, but at least I have a cordless phone, and I can carry on a converation while I'm warming up a cup of coffee. Her phone is tethered to the wall, and for some reason she prefers that. Sure, we can buy her a cordless phone, and have offered to many times, but she doesn't want one. I don't get it. Do you? She's already seen a lot of things pass by: The great depression, WWII, having kids, kids growing up, husband and friends passing on . . . and she has to get up every day and get ready for work.

My Mom will not accept a phone that will allow her to walk around the house while she's talking. Better to put the phone down to answer the door bell? Your Mom will not try an e-cig? Keep on keepin' on. Evangelists only have a 4% success rate. Believers have better than 20 % success rate through osmosis. As long as she's proud of you with each day, she'll come around.

I'm pretty sure that if you could convince my Mom that a cordless phone is better, I could convince your Mom that an s e-cig is better. In fact, if I were employed, I'd be willing to put money on it. Alas, neither of us can do either, and we refocus. We're not going to make the planet any better by trying to change our Mom.

God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread