Status
Not open for further replies.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
Apologies, Im still going with this.
1.6 is still my favourite with the plexus Z a very close 2nd having gained a lot of ground over the last few hours. 0.8 coil has fallen behind and for me is no longer in the race at this stage, thats a shame because it is a great premade drop in coil by any standard.
The 0.8 is a warmer vape, it has a lot going for it. I probably shouldnt write it off.

The Plexus functions very well through a wide range of watts, 7.5 through to 19w. It works better at lower watt settings than the 1.6 in that it doesnt start to gurgle at lower watt settings and the inhale and vapour of the plexus is very similar to the 1.6 at low watt setting.
I vaped with the plexus at 6w and no gurgle developed the 1.6 coil seems to start to gurgle with extended use around 7.5w.
The plexus at 19w seems only a bit warmer than the 1.6 at 14w and both retain a sharpness and clarity in taste over the 0.8 which becomes fat bloated and rounded and altogether a different taste. (Im vaping flavourless btw)
If I can get the same longevity of the 1.6 coil out of the plexus there maybe not much separating them. That it can operate at quite low watts no problem and at higher watts it sort of covers both the 1.6 and the 0.8ohm coil territory quite well.
Cheers.

16hrs later.
Plexus in front.
Im running it at down to 6.5w but mainly at 7.5w. No gurgle. Crisp clear vape.
Its simply a very versatile coil. Between 6.5w to 19w theres a lot of room for fine tuning to suit any situation.
I very much am seeking out a cooler vape.
At 7.5w the plexus hasnt shown any sign of gurgling or spitting where the 1.6 has to be constantly worked with to clear gurgling and spitting at 7.5w. This 1.6 is working great at 9.4w
The flavour of the flavourless is pretty much there in both coils now and its similar between the two but the plexus has more flavour at lower watts.
So far the zenith is working best for me but any real evaluation of the differences and preferences will probably take a few coils.
I do know at this stage I wont bother buying any more 0.8s. I have 9 left I think might only ever be used in emergency or given away.
As with any opinion voiced online and in real life, YMMV ;)
I cant imagine theres anything you have overlooked from what you have said in your post.

I just took out a 0.8 coil and replaced it with a plexus coil in one of my tanks 15minutes ago. It tastes nothing like the two day old plexus coil in another tank. Its kinda woolly fluffy bland tasting, not sharp and clear like the two day old plexus. But that doesnt sound like the issue you are having.
Just thought I would follow up.
The second plexus coil is a dud! Dry hits, too warm, fluffy weird nothing taste. I kept it going for awhile to see if it would become as good a vape as the original plexus I still have running, it hasnt yet and in the next hour will be going in the bin. Its a completely different experience.
I did the process of elimination thing and tipped out juice and refilled tanks, swapped coils over to different tanks but the 2nd plexus coil was just as bad with new juice and in the other other tanks while the 1.6 and 1st plexus still taste great in any of the tanks.
I think I understand some of the reviews of the plexus coil after this experience. Some reviews are really positive and some are completely negative complaining of an experience similar to the one Ive had with the second coil.

Pod_Vaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2018
East Coast, USA
Just thought I would follow up.
The second plexus coil is a dud! Dry hits, too warm, fluffy weird nothing taste. I kept it going for awhile to see if it would become as good a vape as the original plexus I still have running, it hasnt yet and in the next hour will be going in the bin. Its a completely different experience.
I did the process of elimination thing and tipped out juice and refilled tanks, swapped coils over to different tanks but the 2nd plexus coil was just as bad with new juice and in the other other tanks while the 1.6 and 1st plexus still taste great in any of the tanks.
I think I understand some of the reviews of the plexus coil after this experience. Some reviews are really positive and some are completely negative complaining of an experience similar to the one Ive had with the second coil.
Thanks for the update. I wonder if this is what is going on with the coil I've been trying to use? It just kept getting worse instead of better with no flavor except burnt at even recommended wattages (16w+). I had to give up on it. Will try the 1.6 next, but I'm dreading that beak-in period that several people like @stols001 have mentioned.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It's really not that bad, the break in period. I would liken it to the Joytech CLR coil, which in my opinion is PRETTY great but once it gets good and saturated and going, it's EVEN better.

So, saying flavor improves doesn't mean it's horrible right out of the gate. I mean, it was for ME, but like that had more to do with the fact that DIY up some chocolate milk (it was VOMETOUS I mean I don't even know why I did it I don't even like chocolate milk that MUCH so IDK what I was thinking only mine was like chocolate milk plus WAYYY too much condensed milk flavor it was FOUL. One of the few mixes I didn't even try to fix, I just poured it straight down the toilet and I was like, "Yeah, chocolate milk, that is where you BELONG, etc.")

So, that part was maybe more painful due to situational things. The next 1.6 coil I used, I was using a juice I really liked (forstfruit plus crème brulee) and yeah, the flavor Got Better, but it was never terribly bad to begin with.

Where's your 0.8 coil if you are worried about it? Frankly, I found I got just as good flavor if maybe slightly less dense with the 1.6 coil as compared to the 0.8 coil. Some folks just RAVE about the differences, but to me they aren't so huge.

So don't think of it as a Long March through Siberia's Dreaded Winter or anything, you'll just get a coil that improves a bit as it breaks in. Don't like, overfocus on it is what I'm saying. My break in period with 1.6 coil number two was relatively painless and someone sent me a BUNCH of them so I'm glad I like them.

Anna

Pod_Vaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2018
East Coast, USA
My kit came with the plexus and the 1.6, so I'm trying that now. I opted for a mint flavor so it would hopefully have some flavor right out of the gate. It's not too bad so far, but still muted in comparison to the Nicolas. It could just be that I'm used to that after several months, though.

I did buy a few extra .8 coils since it was closest to the .6 I regularly use and like, so I'll try that after the 1.6 trial. I just didn't want to open them in case it really is the tank vs. the coil. I'm leaning towards a bad plexus coil, but I haven't used this one enough yet to know for sure. It IS better than the plexus on initial trial, though. That was just tasteless cotton mouth. :nah:

Pete M

Aug 5, 2018
I got this tank to replace an old kanger sub-ohm one which was my outdoor vape about 2 weeks ago. I have a couple of aspire ets pen style tanks for indoor use, not sophisticated but better for not clouding up living rooms and offices! To be honest I've never liked producing big clouds and I'm all about the flavour.

For me this tank is the best of both worlds - can get the interesting flavours and smoother vape I got on the DTL tank with a proper MTL hit that I can chain in the evening without making our house look like a crack den. I started with the 0.8 coil and was incredibly impressed with the flavour. The coil only lasted a week because I was experimenting with how high wattage it would cope with (managed over 20 for a surprisingly long time!)

Didn't even realise the 0.5 coils were so anticipated when I popped in to get replacements a week later. Strangely seemed to take longer than the 0.8 to break in but probably because of the different coil build. I was verging on giving up and getting some more 8s,but it took me about 48 hours and maybe 3 refills to break it in, so perservarance is maybe key Luckily it sounds like the coils are long lasting from what people here say.

What I will definitely say stood out more is that while 6mg strength liquid is what I've been using for the old tank and the new one with 0.8 coil was just right, it was way too much with the plexus - heart was racing and head was spinning after just a couple of draws! So cut down to 3mg and it's great flavour again.

The only leakage so far has been a very minor amount occasionally out the top - but this really is minimal, and well worth it for the convenience. No other issues but it has only been 2 weeks or so for me

So yeah - it's the nicest vape I've tried to date. Been using ecigs in one shape or another way back since 2012 and it's amazing how much the technology has evolved so quickly.

New here by the way seems like a nice and friendly community built up here :)

NotSoMini

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2014
FYI for what it is worth — I am not having the issues some of you have been experiencing with the Plexus Z coils. I use 50PG/50VG ejuice with flavors that I mix at 6mg so YMMV. I have been using the Zenith since late January.

Initially when I primed the coil I would also prime the wicking holes. I gave up priming the wicking holes just about immediately and just drip three drops into the top of the coil. After I fill the Zenith with ejuice I let it sit for 15 minutes or so. I have not taken apart a Plexus Z coil however a friend mentioned to me sometime ago that manufacturers have a tendency to add too much cotton and this is the reason I let my tank sit before I start vaping no matter what tank/coil I am using. I am now finding with the Plexus Z that depending on the ejuice flavor I have to back down on the wattage as I was getting too much flavor. I was starting at 16W and now start at 15W or even less.

As far as any type of leaking I have not experienced this — thus far. Only thing I can think of is make sure your coil is seated properly. When you screw on the bottom cap you should not have to force it and it should screw on easily. If not, then I would think your coil is not seated correctly.

@r77r7r — I tried dropping the wattage down to 10W with all air holes open and although it is not my preferred vape, it can be done. I did find that the flavor intensity dropped accordingly for me. I do vape for flavor and not for clouds however I believe you mentioned you vape non-flavored so this would be a moot point. In addition, you may not notice any coil longevity vaping non-favored. If you would like to try the Plexus Z coil, PM me your mailing address and I will send you one.

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
So far I have found that my Zenith Plexus Z 0.5 ohm coils honestly do not seem to last me any longer than any of my other Zenith coils, so that supposed benefit of them (that they are longer lasting) has been a complete bust for me. They don't seem to last any less either though (except for one semi-dud I had), so at least that is something.

I do still like that I can vape on them at somewhat lower power, with slightly more restricted airflow, and yet they vape a little cooler, but with still decent flavor, and somewhat better vapor density output. Those are all still modest pluses for me, a chain vaping MTL style vaper that is hard to please when it comes to the equipment I use.

I will probably get more of these Plexus coils as they become more available and prices drop. I'd still very much like to see some SS TC coils for this tank as well, which is what I wish Innokin came out with first instead of the Plexus Z coils. I'm honestly not sure what the holdup is, but I do know supposedly they are working on coming out with SS TC coils for the Zenith tank.

I still love this tank though. It is my one and only daily go-to vape for now, and has been for months, so I thank Innokin very much for that.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    FYI for what it is worth — I am not having the issues some of you have been experiencing with the Plexus Z coils. I use 50PG/50VG ejuice with flavors that I mix at 6mg so YMMV. I have been using the Zenith since late January.

Initially when I primed the coil I would also prime the wicking holes. I gave up priming the wicking holes just about immediately and just drip three drops into the top of the coil. After I fill the Zenith with ejuice I let it sit for 15 minutes or so. I have not taken apart a Plexus Z coil however a friend mentioned to me sometime ago that manufacturers have a tendency to add too much cotton and this is the reason I let my tank sit before I start vaping no matter what tank/coil I am using. I am now finding with the Plexus Z that depending on the ejuice flavor I have to back down on the wattage as I was getting too much flavor. I was starting at 16W and now start at 15W or even less.

As far as any type of leaking I have not experienced this — thus far. Only thing I can think of is make sure your coil is seated properly. When you screw on the bottom cap you should not have to force it and it should screw on easily. If not, then I would think your coil is not seated correctly.

@r77r7r — I tried dropping the wattage down to 10W with all air holes open and although it is not my preferred vape, it can be done. I did find that the flavor intensity dropped accordingly for me. I do vape for flavor and not for clouds however I believe you mentioned you vape non-flavored so this would be a moot point. In addition, you may not notice any coil longevity vaping non-favored. If you would like to try the Plexus Z coil, PM me your mailing address and I will send you one.
    Tx ever so kindly, but I'll pass. I'm going to be playing with Triton coils for my Nautilus instead.

billybc96

ECF Veteran
    Aug 24, 2010
    Reno, Nevada, USA
    I just spent literally HOURS reading through this whole thread to get caught up and I must confess that I am really NOT loving the Zenith. I purchased the 4ml kit with the .5 Plexus installed and have gone through about 6mls now. Tried everything from 5w all the way to 18w, where it got too warm and really burnt tasting. I've adjusted air flow, tried a second juice flavor in case the first was the issue, and even switched it from one mod to another. (I'm still pretty new to this so only have a Kbox Mini and CKS Stride. For tanks/coils, my VERY limited experience has only been the Triton mini (PITA!), Pangu (AWFUL!), Nicolas, and this Zenith.)

No matter what I do, I just can't get any flavor. It's just vapor. Can't be vape fatigue because I am STILL loving the same juice in my Nicolas, which is the only tank I still have. I REALLY wanted to love this, but I don't think I can vape any more of this in hopes it will "break in".

Does anyone have any suggestions other than trying a different coil? I'm sure in my ignorance, there is quite possibly something I've overlooked. Thanks!

I don't think you will ever get the same flavor impact with the Zenith MTL tank as you would compared to the Crown DTL tank, but you can run the Zenith at a lot lower wattages, go through a lot less juice, and have a much stealthier vape in comparison. Mouth-to-lung vaping just might not be for you, at least not anymore. With the Zenith I like to run the airflow at between 2-3 air holes. I think 1 air hole is too tight, and 4-5 air holes is too airy - at least for a MTL tank like this one, but everyone else's preferences really vary a lot when it comes to how tight or loose they like their draw.

If you ended up getting any kind of a burnt taste with your Zenith coil, after bringing the wattage up maybe a bit too high, I would say that coil is fried and just going to taste worse and worse for you from here on out. Switch out that coil and start over. You might be using very high VG juices that are just a bit too thick and can't wick quite fast enough in the tank to keep up with you.

I find this tank and its coils vape best at somewhat lower wattage than is shown as the recommended range on the coil head. For example, with the 0.5 ohm Plexus coil, I start vaping a new coil at about 12-12.5W, then move up to 12.5W, stay there for awhile, then move up to about 13-13.5W, and that's it. If I end up going higher than that, as I'm chain vaping, then the coil won't keep up as well - then it just starts acting up well before it should normally be time to replace it. In that case, I've effectively ended up shortening the coil's lifespan by a couple of days. Keep wattage levels relatively low - at least if you are chain vaping at all. I never even reach the minimum wattage rating of the coil, as I find vaping up in the coil's printed wattage range just doesn't work well in the long term when chain vaping as I do regularly.

I use 70-80/20-30 VG/PG ratio juices, but then also typically add about 1 drop of distilled water to each 1 ml of juice to get it reasonably thin, without being too watery, and so as not to cut into the flavor or vapor production while vaping. This works out for me well, especially considering I chain MTL vape tobacco flavored e-liquids - which are not the friendliest to coil life. I normally get just under a week or so of vaping off each of my Zenith coils before switching them out. People who use cleaner juices can apparently get a lot more use out of each one of their Zenith coils.

For me, that's about 60ml of juice per coil, but that can vary a lot. If I have a couple of long, heavy vaping days in a row, then that really cuts back on coil life to maybe 2-3 days, which could be more like about 30-45 ml of juice per coil. Plus, being as these are factory coils, they are not all built exactly equally. On some the wick may be a bit tight, restricting juice flow and limiting that coil's lifespan. Every rare once and awhile I get a Zenith coil that barely lasts me a day, or maybe two at best. Generally though, most of my Zenith coils, regardless of which ohm rating they are, have been pretty good compared to other MTL factory coils I've used in the past.

Last edited:

Pod_Vaper

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 30, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I've been using the 1.6 coil on and off for the past two days with no problems at around 10-11w. I usually prefer a tighter MTL draw, so I only have 1-2 air holes open, depending on the juice. All my juices are 70VG and it's holding up to intermittent chain vaping ok so far. The flavor is still not what I hoped for considering the rave reviews, but I'm hopeful that when I kill this coil, the .8 will finally be the perfect tank/coil combo for me. Still prefer the Vapefly Nicolas in terms of flavor as of this moment, but it does have a REALLY short coil life for the way I vape.

I think my plexus coil was a dud from the package. It never did taste good at any point no matter what settings I tried. There was a noticeable difference tossing that coil and trying this one. So I'm still crossing my fingers for the .8 since it's closer to my usual .6 drop in.

Colombia

Jul 25, 2018
    Update: I being using the Zenith tank with the 0.8 coil at 15w for the last couple of days. I am VERY happy with the performance, it was exactly what I was looking for, just perfect stealth cloud size for when I am driving or indoors, flavor is good (could be better) but for a MTL is just good and the tank capacity and the fill up is amazing, for me is a HUGE upgrade coming from the Nautilus 2. Big thanks to the great members who recommended me the Zenith tank. :)
    20180809_004733.jpg

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    One thing I love about the zenith is how cleverly it is designed. Like, the coil actually containing the pin instead of the tank. I have had no issues with coils reading ever.

I AM TALKING TO YOU, Joytech CLR coil. LOL if only they had Done That. IDK if any other tanks do it, maybe IDK but I think the tank is the bomb for flavor AND design, I think it's WAY more interesting than the Ares when it comes to that, although I like my Ares Just Fine.

Anna

Pod_Vaper

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 30, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Just couldn't wait to try the .8 coil and OMGosh! What a HUGE difference! I've run two different juice flavors through it side by side with the Nicolas and there is absolutely no comparison. I'm finally loving the Zenith! :banana: After 9 months of bad juices, defective pod devices, and mediocre tanks, I think I have finally figured out what makes vaping so enjoyable.

Thanks to everyone for their advice and feedback!! :toast: Now maybe I can stop throwing away money on sub-par vaping supplies.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Just couldn't wait to try the .8 coil and OMGosh! What a HUGE difference! I've run two different juice flavors through it side by side with the Nicolas and there is absolutely no comparison. I'm finally loving the Zenith! :banana: After 9 months of bad juices, defective pod devices, and mediocre tanks, I think I have finally figured out what makes vaping so enjoyable.

Thanks to everyone for their advice and feedback!! :toast: Now maybe I can stop throwing away money on sub-par vaping supplies.

Congrats :)

The 0.8 ohm zenith coil was my holy grail as well. I've been looking forward to trying the new mesh coil - but I may wait a bit longer for more feedback on it

Jebbn

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2018
    1680(approx) 2.5-4sec puffs at 9w on one plexus Z 7 days. Its been my main vape Ive put all other tanks aside for now.
    Naut2's and iJoy Elf emptied, cleaned, packed in their boxes and put away.
    I guess I found my jam. Its a mixture of compromise and outright success.
    I could be happy using either the 1.6, 0.8 or the plexus Z but the plexus sort of covers the whole range. The 0.8s are my least favourite.
    At 9w's juice usage is quite low, Ive dropped to about 2ml a day over the last few days! I seem to be vaping less and seem to feel pretty satisfied anyway.
    I seem to think about vaping less and vape less.
    What I have been looking for in all of this is "my setup" and think that the zenith and plexus Z or 1.6 maybe close enough to 'it".
    When I smoked I knew I liked rizla papers and I knew what tobacco I liked, I didnt bother with anything else. Simple and clear cut. I think I found that in the Zenith and its coils.
    I also dont like vape flavours. I vape flavourless and enjoy it.
    I think this week with the Zenith and comparing the coils along side other tanks and coils that I also liked I got to the point of understanding what I liked and what I was looking for. It was like once I found it and figured it all out none of it was important anymore, it simply is what it is and I can move on, thats all I ever wanted out of a tank and coils. I dont want to think about it every puff I take. I dont even want to be aware of it.
    Most of what I have said about the Zenith tank and its coils is only useful if you vape flavourless and at low watts(7.5-9.5).
    My vape juice is VG, nic in vg base and dw @ about 12-15%. Most good coils last a very long time.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Well now that I have two zeniths I have to say, I think I may prefer the 1.6 coil after all. I'm not ENTIRELY sure, but I actually think the 1.6 coil gives me better flavor. IDK. These things are so subjective.

I will order some Plexuses at some point but not Today etc. I have a lot of coils to use up first, especially given the rate at which they do NOT die, but I really like the tank. Really one of the nicer MTL drop in coil tanks I own. Etc.

Anna

NotSoMini

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 13, 2014
    I'd still very much like to see some SS TC coils for this tank as well, which is what I wish Innokin came out with first instead of the Plexus Z coils. I'm honestly not sure what the holdup is, but I do know supposedly they are working on coming out with SS TC coils for the Zenith tank.

Out of curiosity, why are you interested in a SS coil for the Zenith?

Reactions: stols001

Pete M

Aug 5, 2018
    especially given the rate at which they do NOT die,

Well I just got through 2 coils in 2 weeks (one .8 and one plexus) - but I've been chaining a heavy VG custard flavour so can't really blame the Zenith for that :p

Having said that though, it doesn't seem like the mesh coil feels significantly longer lasting. I'm used to going through coils pretty quickly if I've been vaping a lot because of my preference for sweeter flavours and thicker juices. I definitely noticed an improvement in nicotine delivery, and a marginal improvement in flavour, so I'll probably keep using them. But I think they've been over-hyped.

I do love the Zenith though, and I might get myself a 2nd as well :)

Jebbn

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2018
    1680(approx) 2.5-4sec puffs at 9w on one plexus Z 7 days. Its been my main vape Ive put all other tanks aside for now.
    Naut2's and iJoy Elf emptied, cleaned, packed in their boxes and put away.
    I guess I found my jam. Its a mixture of compromise and outright success.
    I could be happy using either the 1.6, 0.8 or the plexus Z but the plexus sort of covers the whole range. The 0.8s are my least favourite.
    At 9w's juice usage is quite low, Ive dropped to about 2ml a day over the last few days! I seem to be vaping less and seem to feel pretty satisfied anyway.
    I seem to think about vaping less and vape less.
    What I have been looking for in all of this is "my setup" and think that the zenith and plexus Z or 1.6 maybe close enough to 'it".
    When I smoked I knew I liked rizla papers and I knew what tobacco I liked, I didnt bother with anything else. Simple and clear cut. I think I found that in the Zenith and its coils.
    I also dont like vape flavours. I vape flavourless and enjoy it.
    I think this week with the Zenith and comparing the coils along side other tanks and coils that I also liked I got to the point of understanding what I liked and what I was looking for. It was like once I found it and figured it all out none of it was important anymore, it simply is what it is and I can move on, thats all I ever wanted out of a tank and coils. I dont want to think about it every puff I take. I dont even want to be aware of it.
    Most of what I have said about the Zenith tank and its coils is only useful if you vape flavourless and at low watts(7.5-9.5).
    My vape juice is VG, nic in vg base and dw @ about 12-15%. Most good coils last a very long time.
    Still going with this.
    This plexus z died, 11days, approx 2600-3300 puffs.
    It died with no hint or warning. One minute it provided a satisfying vape experience and then the next puff it was over. I worked with it to see if it would recover but every subsequent puff was not good. It was the coil in my main and most used tank.
    The score so far is one plexus never quite getting there and dying after a couple of days and one plexus lasting 11 days.
    My 1.6 coils last much longer. One lasted 6weeks and was pretty much my main toke during that time.
    I loaded in another plexus to replace the failed plexus and see what happens.
    1.6 coil back in front, so far, there isnt much difference in vaping performance between the plexus and the 1.6 and the 1.6coils Ive used have lasted much longer.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread