Innokin Zenith MTL tank--Phil Busardo

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
The 1.6 coil can handle high VG liquid okay from my perspective. Although I got my first Zenith right around the time I was switching to my first PEG400 (I am PG sensitive) mixes, although I think PEG400 has a higher viscosity than PG so despite both things (starting with really pretty high VG and then moving to PEG400 which is certainly thinner than VG but maybe not as thin as PG, it held up pretty well. I am coming to find that I think the 1.6 coil may actually be my favorite when it comes to flavor, also. I'm not sure what it is about the 0.8 coil, it's okay and everything but I just really love that 1.6 coil. I took my first VG'd up 1.6 OUT because I wanted to try the 0.8 coil and it must have been at least 6 weeks, although part of the time I wasn't using it much (because I happened to fill it with a horrific-to-me DIY mix) but even after that, well it got a fair amount of use.

Anna

Oops, PEG400 has a higher viscosity than PG I think but definitely not VG, edited.

Last edited:

Pete M

Aug 5, 2018
The 1.6 coil can handle high VG liquid okay from my perspective. Although I got my first Zenith right around the time I was switching to my first PEG400 (I am PG sensitive) mixes, although I think PEG400 has a higher viscosity than VG so despite both things (starting with really pretty high VG and then moving to PEG400 which is certainly thinner than VG but maybe not as thin as PG, it held up pretty well. I am coming to find that I think the 1.6 coil may actually be my favorite when it comes to flavor, also. I'm not sure what it is about the 0.8 coil, it's okay and everything but I just really love that 1.6 coil. I took my first VG'd up 1.6 OUT because I wanted to try the 0.8 coil and it must have been at least 6 weeks, although part of the time I wasn't using it much (because I happened to fill it with a horrific-to-me DIY mix) but even after that, well it got a fair amount of use.

Anna

I'll try out the 1.6 when the 0.5 wears out then, see how it fares! Thanks :)

JSL_Aus

Aug 16, 2018
New member here, been watching this thread for a while now (ok - lurking, lol). I've been using the Zenith tank for about 3 months now and I love it. I've mostly been using the 1.6 coils, I find that I can chain vape for 15-20 minutes every hour or so and never had an issue. Taste has been good, and coils last for ages - 2 weeks easily. Tried the 0.8 coil but found it didn't last as long, more like 5 days, and flavour was no better, so I went back to the 1.6.

I bought some higher VG juice the other day (75% or higher VG) and was worried the 1.6 coil wouldn't handle the high VG liquid as well, so I bought 10 of the Plexus Z-coils on the strength of the hype. Actually, I have some 70/30 (VG/PG) juice from "the clean vape", and never had an issue with the 1.6 coils, but I guess I thought I might need the Plexus Z-coil given I will be hitting near 80% VG.

Anyway, wanted to post my experiences of the plexus for you all as well. Found that after 3 days, like another poster mentioned, the plexus Z lost most of its flavour. Tried another coil, it lasted only 4 days maybe 5, and then was giving a slightly burnt flavour even with the wattage down, so figured the coil was gone. Put a new coil in, primed it, and it had a very slight burnt flavour as well. So I've taken the coil out again, and I am currently soaking the tank in soapy water. I will put another plexus Z in and see later.

I have been running the plexus coil at around 15-16W, I find that higher than this and there is mostly a burnt overtone to the taste. Maybe I should try running it much lower - say 13-14W.

Anyway, to sum up, I have found the plexus Z to be lacking in flavour, it doesn't have very good longevity, and has a tendency to easily taste burnt. I much prefer the 1.6 coil over it, and even prefer the 1.6 over the 0.8. When I get the higher VG juice (>75% VG) I will see if the 1.6 coil handles it ok. If it does, then I see no advantage of the 0.5 plexus or even the 0.8 coil over the 1.6. The 1.6 coil just works without me having to think about it, or adjust my vaping style or frequency in any way.

Cheers - Justin

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It's good to hear reports on the plexus, I have been wondering-- it's a 0.5 coil, right?

Here's my thought on the Zenith, I don't actually think it has near as much airflow as it sort of seems to, or if so, something is going on with the airflow where lower resistance coils get overheated at higher wattages. My 0.8 coil held up a fair amount of time, but I think I prefer the 1.6 coil where like, the wattage is low enough for the airflow and etc. I sort of "expect" to be able to vape lower resistance at higher wattages but ANYTHING'S possible with those coils, I mean they look like alien items I've never seen before.

Also, I think the plexus coil is the first truly MTL mesh coil, and I have no idea what mesh is like how to use it or etc. So I'm happy to hear the reports because like, I find it exceedingly possible that a mesh coil in a MTL tank with fairly minimal airflow (I mean I run mine wide open and don't find them super airy like some of my RTAs for example.

I have been away from the Nautlius coil for example and I kind of forgot how low my wattage can go and still be extraordinarily fine.

I'm running my 1.6 coil at an all powerful 10 watts in the Zenith. IDK.

Anna

JSL_Aus

Aug 16, 2018
Hi Anna,

yes the plexus is a 0.5 Ohm coil, and its recommended wattage range is 14w - 19w, although I have read online that it can go much higher as well, and people are able to run it down around 11-13w. The ones I have used so far all run around 0.47 - 0.49 Ohms. I know what you mean about the airflow - I came from the Innokin T22 Endura, I thought I liked it until I tried the Zenith Tank (with Kroma A mod), and I much prefer the airflow on the Zenith. But lately I am feeling like it doesn't seem to have as much airflow as it once did? I dunno. But I run mine with max airflow nowadays (all 5 holes open). And for whatever reason, it won't even draw now if I close off all the holes.

I'm going to try my high VG liquid (when it arrives in the mail) with the 1.6 coil. The 0.5 plexus just didn't seem to do it for me.

Cheers - Justin.

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
I bought some higher VG juice the other day (75% or higher VG)

Hi JSL...welcome to ECF...

You didn't mention how long you've been vaping...but...after 3-4 years of "Max VG"...(who doesn't want MORE clouds...right?)...I became overwhelmed by the amount of "VG film" on my apartment/car windows (and TV/Laptop screens)…

So...about a year ago I switched over to 50PG/50VG e-liquids…

As expected...their flavor IS improved...but I gotta' admit I really don't notice a significant difference in the amount of vapor they produce...(although I also admit I am a 10W-11W Tootle Puffer)…

And...my windows/screens stay clean/clear noticeably longer...

(50/50 ejuice can be a little hard to find...I use...Buy E-Liquid and Ejuice on Sale - Cheap E Juice 120mL and 60mL and Vape Juice Wholesale | LNW )

:2c:

JSL_Aus

Aug 16, 2018
Thanks gerrymi for the warm (high VG) welcome :)

I started out with mostly 50/50 liquids, but recently thought I had become sensitive to PG, as I bought some liquid that was 50/50 and it was giving me a throat tickle and cough, whereas other juice I had which was 70/30 (VG/PG) did not.

So I started on a quest for juice that was around 70/30 VG/PG or higher.

As it turns out, my PG sensitivity was more than likely only a result of a cough from a bug I caught, but perhaps the higher PG was aggrevating the cough, even though the cough had largely disappeared when not vaping.

I seem to be able to vape higher PG now, although it does seem like PG triggers a throat-type cough for me more than VG.

Oh yes, and to answer your question - been vaping (and completely off the cigs) since mid-May this year, so, 3 months.

PS - and I stole your cool signature idea :shock:

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
JSL...if the Bat Beacon for @stols001 works...she can tell you about something that helped her with her PG sensitivity...(PG-400...or something like that)…

As for "stealing my cool signature idea"...it's mainly there...to be stolen...

It kinda' "disappears" in my day to day ECF interactions...but sometimes when I'm thinking of purchasing some vaping thingy...I'll look at it to put things into prospective...

• Agree

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
The bat beacon always works.. It's like the best thing about Batman, like a logical way to summon him to face "Problem X."

I am PG sensitive I don't die if I vape it but I get these unpleasant pins and needles sensations and whatnot, so eventually someone trustworthy told me about PEG400 which is some sort of PG variant, and I believe was used more widely before PG came on the scene.

I can tolerate IT and I am happy I can. 10% or so of my mix is flavorings and I call that my PG ratio because I can't be bothered to keep track exactly my flavoring and all their types of bases, but if I don't go over that 10% I am usually fine. It's not like peanuts or anything, I'm not gonna have no airway and die.

I tried a bunch o stuff, including 10% distilled water (it did actually improve my vape, including flavor which I was not expecting) and like some vodka here and there (kind of made all my vapes taste the same like tomato and vodka, crème brulee and vodka, fruit and vodka, it kind of gets old.

So I tried PEG400 and I bought a small bottle of USP grade off Amazon to check if it worked. It totally worked, it was fine, but it's also a flavor carrier like PG so my mixes were great, I find super high VG mixes to be a bit muddy tasting and blah tasting and etc., and with PEG400 they got this crispness and bite to them. It's thicker than PG, but definitely not more so than VG, and you can heck, still throw in a little distilled water if you want, I usually don't.

So then I bought a bunch from Nicotine River and it was super cheap. Not sensitive to it so far, and I am PG sensitive still I can feel it every time I try the husband's vape.

I would say do your due diligence although I always say that, I did a bunch of research on it and didn't find anything deeply troubling or traumatic, but it's YOUR body, so you should like, do that yourself, I think. Because that's just always a good idea.

I like it a lot though.
Anna

• Informative
Reactions: gerrymi

JSL_Aus

Aug 16, 2018
@gerrymi - thanks. But I'll have to avoid posting after you, your stats put me to shame (not the money though.. but I confess mine is in Aussie dollars, so technically I'm cheating there).

Thanks for the info Anna. As I'm still pretty new to all this, I am trying to fine tune everything, particularly around liquids. 70/30 or 60/40 VG/PG seems to be best for me, I don't think I am super sensitive to PG, although if I have any throat issues in general life, vaping more PG is not so good at that time.

The only drawback I am finding at the moment with higher VG is that running it on the Zenith 1.6 coil seems to make the tank more prone to leaking, largely it seems, at the top. Seems the thicker VG is just not vaporizing enough at 13-14w, and I sometimes see some half-vaporized liquid at the top. On one zenith tank (I have 4 of the beauties) it does seem to leak through the (closed) pour slot at the top, but then mostly when a coil is on the way out.

Pete M

Aug 5, 2018
Well I'm back to using the plexus after all on the zenith - my local is no longer stocking the other ones for the foreseeable because the future is mesh, apparently - and I was in a rush.

But you know what I changed the eliquid and all of a sudden the flavour was back and it was a pleasure to use. Interestingly I was in there another guy was complaining about a muted flavour in his completely different cloud chasing tank and turned out we were using exactly the same juice

So maybe it was the juice not the coils. I know it takes a while to find the perfect combination of coils, flavours, pg/vg, wattage etc in a new tank. Seems to have taken longer with the zenith but I'm happy with it

I still stand by what I originally said about the mesh coils being hyped though. Maybe you can't really tell much of a difference in a MTL tank.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
I like the Zenith. Been using the 1.6 coil for a couple of weeks. After an overnight sitting on my table and nothing had leaked I bought two more. Yeah, other tanks leaking had gotten me so frustrated....
In my state there is a vape store chain that acts more like a salon. (Some don't vape or never smoked.) To some the well dressed staff are a snobby group. What I have found is they have been very helpful with my wife and I. I found a flavor there and shared my frustration about leaking tanks. I had read about the Zenith prior to that. The proprietor pulled out one and talked about it saying it was great for new users.

That night I had already decided I liked the way it vapes and thought the threadless drop in was pretty cool. Next morning there was no puddle around my Sigelei E1. My other E1 had a puddle around it and an empty tank (again) from a leaking highly rated tank.

I bought the last two the store had that afternoon. Now it seems my style of short draws (with very little to no exhaled steam) causes unused liquid to get into the chimney. So I do get some slurp at times. But that happens in my other tanks too. Each morning a clean chimney is normal (if I clear it before retiring). I use 70/30 in it.

The only leak I've had was when I had not properly closed the drop in after a swap. I keep 3 holes open and have found it to breath pretty similar tank after tank. Perhaps if some juice gets in the airflow and leaves via the airholes there may be a build up of the 'syrup' in the holes and some cleaning would solve that.

Edit: Forgot to add I prefer 14 watts. It seems to provide pretty similar flavor as 10 to 13 yet has a bit less residual liquid in the system than less. Any higher seems to change the flavor temp more than I prefer.

Last edited:

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
Last edited:
  • Useful

JSL_Aus

Aug 16, 2018
Just an update for you all.

I just got some new e-juice in the post yesterday, so I thought I'd try a fresh Plexus 0.5 Z-coil with a clean tank and the new juice, which is 75/25 (VG/PG).

No good. I primed the coil with many drops and let the filled tank sit for about 25 minutes, then went outside and started the 0.5 plexus at 14 watts - the low end of its wattage rating. First two puffs were good, then I started getting a slightly burnt after-taste on the exhale. So I waited a while, then bumped the wattage up to 16w and tried again, but then was getting a funky chemical / coil taste. Not burnt, but not the kinda flavour I seek from my juice. I had the funky taste and a burnt taste with at least 2 other plexus coils I have tried so far as well.

I'm open to suggestions. I normally like to puff every 10 seconds or so (ok maybe 5 seconds at times), for a puff length of 1-2 seconds, for 10 or 15 minutes. Sometimes if I need to I puff a bit faster. Am wondering if I am pushing the Z-coil too much, and it is having trouble wicking fast enough?

Strangely enough, I then took the plexus Z-coil out and put a fresh 1.6 Ohm coil in. Same tank, same juice, and... no problems.. I was able to vape away without thinking about it, and no funky taste, and no burnt taste.

It seems to me that the plexus coil has trouble wicking fast enough for me perhaps, and that may explain the slightly burnt taste? Or does it need breaking in more? I read the Z-coil was supposed to offer faster wicking?

Or maybe I just got a bad bunch of plexus coils? Either way, at the moment, I am back to the 1.6 coil and no worries at all. Also, if anyone is interested, the 1.6 coil is handling the 75/25 (VG/PG) - higher VG - without any issues so far, but I haven't chained vaped my head off with it yet. ;)

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
Im not impressed by the longevity of the plexus coils.
I like the crispness of the flavour they produce and that I can use them down to 8watts with no gurgle or leaking, they actually function at lower watts better than the 1.6coil.
But once the 1.6 is "broken in" its quite flavourful and indestructible.
Previously I put the Plexus slightly ahead of the 1.6 coil but the 1.6 has regained top position, for me, after 3weeks of side by side comparisons.

Pete M

Aug 5, 2018
Just an update for you all.

I just got some new e-juice in the post yesterday, so I thought I'd try a fresh Plexus 0.5 Z-coil with a clean tank and the new juice, which is 75/25 (VG/PG).

No good. I primed the coil with many drops and let the filled tank sit for about 25 minutes, then went outside and started the 0.5 plexus at 14 watts - the low end of its wattage rating. First two puffs were good, then I started getting a slightly burnt after-taste on the exhale. So I waited a while, then bumped the wattage up to 16w and tried again, but then was getting a funky chemical / coil taste. Not burnt, but not the kinda flavour I seek from my juice. I had the funky taste and a burnt taste with at least 2 other plexus coils I have tried so far as well.

I'm open to suggestions. I normally like to puff every 10 seconds or so (ok maybe 5 seconds at times), for a puff length of 1-2 seconds, for 10 or 15 minutes. Sometimes if I need to I puff a bit faster. Am wondering if I am pushing the Z-coil too much, and it is having trouble wicking fast enough?

Strangely enough, I then took the plexus Z-coil out and put a fresh 1.6 Ohm coil in. Same tank, same juice, and... no problems.. I was able to vape away without thinking about it, and no funky taste, and no burnt taste.

It seems to me that the plexus coil has trouble wicking fast enough for me perhaps, and that may explain the slightly burnt taste? Or does it need breaking in more? I read the Z-coil was supposed to offer faster wicking?

Or maybe I just got a bad bunch of plexus coils? Either way, at the moment, I am back to the 1.6 coil and no worries at all. Also, if anyone is interested, the 1.6 coil is handling the 75/25 (VG/PG) - higher VG - without any issues so far, but I haven't chained vaped my head off with it yet. ;)
Not a massive fan of the plexus coils - everyone bigs up the mesh atm but for me the 0.8 was the sweet spot... Unfortunately all my local stores have started only stocking the plexus because they think no one will want to go back now the future is here :p

What I will say though is ignore the official wattage recommendations (I'd say that with all ready made coils). For me, I started right down at 7 and slowly boosted up. I prime my coils as well and had a similar experience to you, I have discovered through trial and error that 13w was actually the highest end of what the plexus can take in the zenith. I use it with 3 airholes open.

Also it took me a day or two for the actual flavour to kick in although the nicotine delivery and vape production was very good - so good I had to go down from 6mg to 3mg.

But my style of vaping is probably the worst for coil longevity anyway as I

1 Sometimes chain vape (usually at least once a day) which doesn't let the tank cool down
2 Prefer high VG (70-80) viscous, dark and sweet liquids
3 Tend to prefer the higher end of the wattage scale

I'm getting about a week out of them now.

Tl:Dr - don't trust manufacturers wattage scales, in my experience they vastly overestimate their capabilities!

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
Not a massive fan of the plexus coils - everyone bigs up the mesh atm but for me the 0.8 was the sweet spot... Unfortunately all my local stores have started only stocking the plexus because they think no one will want to go back now the future is here :p

What I will say though is ignore the official wattage recommendations (I'd say that with all ready made coils). For me, I started right down at 7 and slowly boosted up. I prime my coils as well and had a similar experience to you, I have discovered through trial and error that 13w was actually the highest end of what the plexus can take in the zenith. I use it with 3 airholes open.

Also it took me a day or two for the actual flavour to kick in although the nicotine delivery and vape production was very good - so good I had to go down from 6mg to 3mg.

But my style of vaping is probably the worst for coil longevity anyway as I

1 Sometimes chain vape (usually at least once a day) which doesn't let the tank cool down
2 Prefer high VG (70-80) viscous, dark and sweet liquids
3 Tend to prefer the higher end of the wattage scale

I'm getting about a week out of them now.

Tl:Dr - don't trust manufacturers wattage scales, in my experience they vastly overestimate their capabilities!
Yes, even though the plexus is rated at 19watts the times theyve given up on me is around 14watts which is at the higher end of the scale for me. I only vape around there when Im searching for a more defined nic hit in the morning or late afternoon during my short break then. Normally 9-11watts is good for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread