Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
so I got this wad of rayon from a bottle of vitamins and as a lark I used it for wicking. It worked very well. I am thinking of buying some. What is a good economical source of rayon? I don’t particularly want to smoke a Kotex tampon, which was the only source I’ve run into so far. Nothing against feminine hygiene but it just seems kind of weird.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think most everyone is using Sally's Graham Cellucotton just get the large box if you think you'll like it, (and the 100% rayon they have a cotton version). Oh, I suppose if you wanna ease into it, buy the small box and buy more in like five years. Either way, it's better than the tampons and if you do not want to darken the door of a Sally's and/or use their website it's also sold on Amazon and it's easy to use, it's already in strand format and you can just easily portion out the amount you want to stuff in your coil (length and width, etc.)

Have fun.

Anna

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I've been using rayon for almost 5 years now. It's far better than cotton.

Also, OP, we don't smoke, we vape (it's a pet peeve of mine)
Is it a feral or domestic peeve? What do you feed it? You probably shouldn’t let your pets vape though.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Is it a feral or domestic peeve? What do you feed it? You probably shouldn’t let your pets vape though.
I was led to believe you are not supposed to feed your pet peeve after midnight or it will turn feral.

2014-12-18.jpg

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I've been using rayon for almost 5 years now. It's far better than cotton.

Also, OP, we don't smoke, we vape (it's a pet peeve of mine)

Yep, if you refer to vapor as smoke, people will jump on the chance to say, "See ... it's smoke ... he said so himself ... it's as bad as cigarettes!".

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
@bombastinator, PM me. I can send you enough to keep you in rayon for ages.
I got the big box, and used it for quite some time. It is a better, more efficient wicking material than cotton, and withstands higher temps.
But I've learned I like the flavor of tobaccos with cotton better. Rayon imparts a little bit of a sharp note, whereas cotton is a little softer. Some prefer that I guess. I also like the convenience of being able to cut consistent pieces of KGD and just throw it in, as opposed to carefully pulling apart what I need.

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Some excellent observations.

the flavor of tobaccos with cotton [ is ] better.

Yep, cotton does stain with some flavoring pigments. Like certain juices in a pan. These mature while wet as vaping progresses adding distinctiveness. Dry the wick, overheat it, and likewise these elements can taste as bad as any charred leftover when re-heated. Cotton is the best tobacco wicking material if you learn to observe the nuances of how your particular juice performs in it and learn to accommodate for them.

Rayon imparts a little bit of a sharp note, whereas cotton is a little softer.

Agree. But I believe its more a factor of texture of the vape rather than flavor. Not a criticism, texture accounts for the majority of what we perceive as taste. It's a drier more diffuse output from Rayon, often hotter as opposed to warmer or softer accounting for that bite you describe.

To my taste it can strip characterizing top notes particularly when over-driven. Some accents can seem to be totally absent accentuating the primary and abundant base flavorings. And that's just grand for some people, if that's their preference. Push it a bit and that can be heaven in that case. It is not the best for flavor accuracy.

For the latter, Nextel (RxW) down. Nothing feeds as efficiently as the coherent micro-capillary action of ceramic fiber or is as neutral to flavor.

Not advocating. Enjoy it all.

Good luck. :)

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread