Status
Not open for further replies.

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
Awesome :)

Now I may be not quite getting the full picture, but wouldn't an atty with lower resistance vape differently than a standard one? I mean, resistance=heat=vapor, right? Seems like 10 watts at high ohms would not yield the same output as 10 watts at lower ohms. Power = voltage * current and current = voltage / resistance...

Not trying to be doubtful, just looking to be enlightened as a potential buyer ;)
I kinda understand it though I'm sure someone can do a better job of explaining..

Some say that the "sweet spot" is 5V vaping where it's not really the volts we should be looking at but the watts produced..
so we're kind going the reverse here of the HV atties..
5V battery + standard atty = about 10 watts
6V battery + 4.5 ohm atty = about 10 watts
7.4 battery + 5.2 ohm atty = about 10 watts

what we have here is (most likely) a 3.7V battery with a lower than standard ohm atty so it puts out about 10 watts...so it'd vape like a standard at 5V..
*remember as it's been pointed out by scottbee in another thread 510 batteries don't actually put out 3.7V..more like 3.1V ..so by upping the battery volts back up to a true 3.7V and lowering the ohm resistance of the atty you can get the same thing in a smaller package..

EDIT: Crap...I've been reading far to much on this darned forum and I went and learned something apparently

Last edited:

dg99

ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I hear ya ;) this forum is just one big physics class, lol.

I get the power = v^2 / r thing, and that similar watts can be produced by playing with voltage and resistance, but what I'm unsure of is if there's any adverse effects to LESS resistance in an atty. I mean, we could achieve "10 watt vaping" with a standard 510 batt at 3.1 volts if we used a 0.961 ohm atty... but I can't see that being equal to a 5v mod. What I'm getting at is... doesn't resistance play an important role in vapor production?

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
I hear ya ;) this forum is just one big physics class, lol.

I get the power = v^2 / r thing, and that similar watts can be produced by playing with voltage and resistance, but what I'm unsure of is if there's any adverse effects to LESS resistance in an atty. I mean, we could achieve "10 watt vaping" with a standard 510 batt at 3.1 volts if we used a 0.961 ohm atty... but I can't see that being equal to a 5v mod. What I'm getting at is... doesn't resistance play an important role in vapor production?

I don't know fully...and man that requires me to do math right now...I think standard 510 atties are 3. something ohm.. though I got another model and the manual says 2.2 ohm (but that is blacked out with sharpie)..
I never took the electrical class to really pay attention to ohms law or anything..I did see another thread where someone did the math..and though you say you can't see it being equal..well it's just the heat given off vaporizes the PG when it comes right down to it so yeah though it sounds silly..it should work like you say in theory..

evilactionfigure

Aug 12, 2009
Crap! I just ordered the Xhaler on Fri, and got it today.
I wish the Magnum was available last week, and I had bought that instead. Cant say I'm impressed with the Xhaler so far.
Sorry Drew, I love your site, and your products, and will continue to order from you. But this is a thread about Magnum, so I will stop here about the Xhaler.

It looks cool, and I look forward to ordering one in the very near future.

Kelemvor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2009
Germany NRW
I don't know fully...and man that requires me to do math right now...I think standard 510 atties are 3. something ohm.. though I got another model and the manual says 2.2 ohm (but that is blacked out with sharpie)..

a joye510 should have 2.2ohm, i think they blacked that out in the manual because those value may change during product updates and are not set into stone.

the biggest error some people do when measuring ohms is that they don't check for the inner resistence of the meter they use. because of that my cheap digital meter shows a value of ~3.1 ohms. by shortening the test leads before/after the test i measure 0.9 ohms, this value has to be substracted from the atomizer test result.

...or i would have to spend more money on a new meter.

evilactionfigure

Aug 12, 2009
Drew,
I am going to take back what I said about the Xhaler since the issues I had are probably due to something so simple as a battery was not in the charger just so causing it to read a full charge when it wasnt. Thanks for the help today.

Congrats on the Magnum, it still looks awesome.
However, if I am impressed with the Xhaler after I try it again tonight, I 'll look forward to ordering the Magnum in the slightly distant future instead of the very near future. :D

andel11

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2009
Bay Area, Ca
Ringo®;1006023 said:
Zoolander-Magnum.png

Oh my Goodness, Love it, I couldn't help but laugh, one of my favorite movies with Ben Stiller. So funny to see it with Drews new product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread