Not open for further replies.

snork

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
CO
Okay, I'm learning stuff!
The mesh wick I cut was 1 1/4" X 1 1/4". This proved to be just the right height to fit inside the wick tube but slightly too wide rolled up, I cut off 1/4" and rolled it on the allen wrench, that proved perfect. So how can I say this...the length of the wick is 1 1/4" and it's rolled along its 1" edge.
I used Rayon. Fed it through the slot made by pushing the mesh aside with a pocket knife, I used "some". I cut it off on either side about 1/4" beyond the side of the atomizer. Could have left it a bit longer. but it wrapped around the post nicely anyway. Using 26 gauge kanthal I made 4 (4 1/2? hmmm) wraps around the post which miraculously yielded my target 1 ohm.

It vapes super! I was very skeptical that it would wick. At all. But it did!!! Very flavorful, warm, and who doesn't love that Strata draw? Nothing like it! I could do this!

I vaped it for about an hour and then hit a big snag. :( I decided to peek inside the tank to see what was going on in there. Duh, nothing. So I screwed the deck cap back on the tank, wasn't paying attention to what might occur. In the process of screwing it on, the post's threading didn't screw in at the same rate I was turning the cap, thereby unwinding my coil which is now a tangled mess. Ack! It was vaping so well!

I'm done for the day with it but in the mean time, somebody had mentioned ekowool. Does anybody have thoughts about (or even experience with) slipping a piece of hollow ekowool over the post to eliminate the cotton? Do you think 3mm hollow would fit?

Corona Doble

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2013
Paris, France
I'm unsure hollow ekowool would help, wicking needs to be quick and generous. But any setup worth a try , when it comes to find its vape ...

From my small further experiment, 'less is more' with this ato : less thickness of cotton around (strips of pad japanese cotton) but more compacted to 6-7 mm of diameter max (last cover strip,is mounted wet and compressed with fingers before coiling) only 2 full wraps of 0,3 mm (c. 28 g i guess) titanium wire tightened around, closer to the juice source and leaving room for air while maintaining cotton firm. Its working more than fine for me.
As with genesis, i find the way juice residu sticks the wire to be a good indication of overhaul vaporisation-performance : uniform around the coil from bottom to top , every side. A great result ! such air-juice flow and heating results tend to ask a wick able to 'age' a bit, reaching the maturation when juice is 'vaporized by juice' : i'll try a full mesh wick this week end ! :2cool:
Yet dubbed, along with GG Tilemahos and Hellfire 22mm top air hole atty, best fiber atomizer to date in my book, and certainly the easiest of the 3 to set-up, by far :)
The nice surprise of this early 2015 !

snork

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
CO
I kind of regret not having used titanium wire on my initial build, I have 0,2 and 0,25 (< lookie how euro I can be) handy. Your tip about minimizing the cotton and wetting it before wrapping makes a lot of sense too.

Tell me though, what do I have to fear when I need to remove and replace the cap? Was my experience with the post not seating a fluke? I'd prefer to fill the tank directly and not through the needle hole.

vdefazzio

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2013
Cooper City, Florida
I kind of regret not having used titanium wire on my initial build, I have 0,2 and 0,25 (< lookie how euro I can be) handy. Your tip about minimizing the cotton and wetting it before wrapping makes a lot of sense too.

Tell me though, what do I have to fear when I need to remove and replace the cap? Was my experience with the post not seating a fluke? I'd prefer to fill the tank directly and not through the needle hole.

As far as the fill hole goes, I drilled mjne out per David with a 5/64th drillbit but like you I was a tankfiller by necessity though until I drilled out the fill hole.
There isn't any reliable way I can see to get both cap and core to spin at the same rate, tried quite a bit of times. the best way I did come up with was to bend a stiff metal rod so that one leg went through the set screw hole of the core and one leg into the fill hole, basically an L shape. But that sucks because those holes don't line up naturally so the core has to be a little loose for that system to work. Since I've been able to use the fill.hole now I use a 4 ml syringe. I suck up whats in the tank then top up the syring and plug it right back in. Easy and I know exactly whats in the tank before filling.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Corona Doble

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2013
Paris, France

I refilled 2 times the tank directly by unscrewing the whole top baseplate : i don't know any tank with so full access to say the least. no real pb, a bit harder to then screw the base may be and, somewhere in my sick vaper-mind something tells me juicy threads lower the voltage transmission but in the other hand i'm a good catholic , so must be ok ;)

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oh No! My top set screw is stuck! Any suggestions? When I tries (at first) it would spin the entire center wick post. If I hold the center wick post, the Allen wrench just slips :(

I think you emailed, maybe the wire wedged into the thread or the allen head wrench stripped. No biggie, we can fix anything. :)

ragnarokstar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2010
Florence, Kentucky, United States
_K201715.jpg
I finally got this thing putting out some real vapor.

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
hi superT, i tryed to contact you by email about an order... that contain also an Industrious .. :hubba:
is it possible?

:nun:

Just a bit behind in emails (only two of us here) but i'll do my best to get all caught up on them by weeks end :)

RooD

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2010
St. Jospeh, MI
Got my workhorse telescopic and industrious yesterday, I am becoming frustrated with my coil though. I can't get it to produce the vapor that I desire. It may be my liquid though so because two builds produced alright (75% of my desired output) but tasted not good and possibly burnt a little. Looking at some photos I think I had too much cotton. This is my first RBA and am hoping it is just a learning curve and becomes a little easier.

Does anyone have some tips or tricks to make it easier and solve my issues?

Also wanted to mention this setup is a work of art and masterpiece.

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Good morning Rood! Since this is your first rba, my first question would be what are your builds specifically, wire gauge, type, wraps and most importantly what ohms are they testing at? Is it wicking well for you (you mentioned it being a bit burnt). Any pics of the builds would help us steer you in the right direction too.

RooD

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2010
St. Jospeh, MI
I used 26 gauge? I think, I will have to check it was whatever you used in your video. I tired 3, 2½, 2, 1½ wraps also twisted 2 strands of each of those wraps. I found on accident that it would produce more vapor if it was less imbedded in the cotton. I had readings from .7- to 1.5 ohms on different builds (was jumping around on the meter and hard to get with the juice on there.) I'm not sure if it wicking well because I was using the only juice I had at the time which was 100% VG.

I will pick up new juice after work do a rebuild and get some pictures. Also looking at ragnarokstars photo I think I was covering the air hole? Fill hole? I am not sure.

Thank you for the quick reply!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread