It should be legal to discriminate against non vapers

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't drink alcohol. I have some in my house. I use it for cooking. I don't drink it, and I don't think about it much, nor would I find entering a bar "challenging." Nor do I believe (unless you do not vape at home) that you HAVE to vape 100% of the time "near" the smokers. It's a choice.

Perhaps, you need to not vape if you have to be "near" the smokers. They aren't infectious unless you allow them to be.

I'm pretty sure you can smoke at ANY bus stop around here. And vape. And you will have a "bus stop area" to do it in/near.

However, if it's THAT challenging to stand near the smokers, you do have the option to... wait.

Anna

If I had the willpower to 100% avoid the temptation of smoking, I wouldn’t be vaping now as my initial attempts at quitting back before vaping was even a thing would have been successful... smoking is infectious and I still feel the temptation to bum a smoke when I’m forced to stand out with all the smokers...

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2015
If I had the willpower to 100% avoid the temptation of smoking, I wouldn’t be vaping now as my initial attempts at quitting back before vaping was even a thing would have been successful... smoking is infectious and I still feel the temptation to bum a smoke when I’m forced to stand out with all the smokers...
So what's your point? Because you don't have the willpower to stop or wait everyone else should have to breathe your second hand vape?

So what's your point? Because you don't have the willpower to stop or wait everyone else should have to breathe your second hand vape?

Did I say that? No, I said I shouldn’t be forced to used designated smoking areas only, and I said establishments should be able to choose to allow vaping if they wish. But since I’m clearly in the minority and everyone else has this whole kicking the smoking habit down to science (I guess I’m just not as enlightened or high and mighty as the rest of you.) I’m going to leave this board before more words are inserted into My mouth. Good luck to you all when they ban vaping anywhere but your own house because nobody else should have to breath your harmless second vape.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Look, I'm sorry to not have more sympathy, but I quit with a smoker in the house. You want to vape, or you don't. At the present time, I know I can go buy a pack of cigarettes any time I want to, I think folks are merely pointing out that expecting the world to address your cravings around smokers... It's unrealistic, and your options at the moment are to deal with it or find places you can vape that aren't surrounded by smokers.

I do sympathize to an extent, but I also know the "I can't vape near smokers because I might smoke isn't going to really net any helpful effects for changing how things are set up now. If you can't accept that, you will need to limit your vaping or see if you can tolerate it.

I wish things were more ideal, but they aren't. However isolating oneself from any "hint" of tobacco really limits you. That's all. Also, being "limited" by fear of "immersion" to cigarettes is going to make a switch more difficult.

Anna

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2015
Did I say that? No, I said I shouldn’t be forced to used designated smoking areas only, and I said establishments should be able to choose to allow vaping if they wish. But since I’m clearly in the minority and everyone else has this whole kicking the smoking habit down to science (I guess I’m just not as enlightened or high and mighty as the rest of you.) I’m going to leave this board before more words are inserted into My mouth. Good luck to you all when they ban vaping anywhere but your own house because nobody else should have to breath your harmless second vape.
Asking a simple question is not putting words in your mouth.Throwing a tantrum like a 5 year old is not helping your cause.Like it or not.Vaping and smoking are bad habits.What gives us the right to force those bad habits on others trying to lead healthy lives? Not sure why you would think second hand vape is harmless? Our lungs were designed to breathe clean air(granted air is not as clean as it used to be) anything else is pollution as far as the body is concerned.Add to that the countless flavor and scent combinations.
I always try to use common courtesy when in public places .Unfortunately courtesy like sense is not very common these days and some people with little to none did serious damage to public opinion.
I never smoked in my own house because I didn't feel I had the right to make dangerous choices for others and I only vape in my own room.(with an air purifier)
Even if they allowed vaping in restaurants I wouldn't allow it in mine. Vapers are a very small percentage of the population and frankly I would rather keep the majority of my customers happy.
Nobody is forcing you to do anything.You have choices.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I do remember that "brief" (or so it seemed) period when restaurants and bars allowed a "smoking section" as long as it had a separate ventilation system and a lot of restaurant owners were pretty motivated to do that because they didn't want to lose their "smoking" business. I think kids may not have been allowed in there either, but I can't remember. Where I was living that phase dissipated quickly....

And, I'm sad to say, if it were around for vapers, I would think the vapers would go there, too. It's completely not unreasonable, in my opinion, to have a separate ventilation system in one area hence keeping another area smoke or vape free.

I can still vape pretty freely in my state. But you know, when CA became "smoke free" well I went to a hotel one time, fully wondering where I could smoke, but they had ashtrays and smoking areas, most do.

What I do not understand is being a smoker for a long time, and not understanding that most non-vapers don't want to be assailed by vape. I suppose you could "lobby" for separate vaping and smoking areas, but I don't really know exactly how far society is going to take that silliness.

"I used to be a smoker! Then I started vaping nicotine! The smoking area "triggers" me though, so I want my own "special place" or more likely, "I think vaping is harm reduction, so I should be able to do it EVERYWHERE except where the smokers are!"

Yeah, good luck with that one. Seriously. Your war cry seems to be so specifically "vape friendly" that even I, as a former smoker, cannot get on board with it. Nor can the rest of society, seemingly, since the little Njoy "explain how your can vape ANYWHERE cards" are no longer included in vape equipment. LOL. They wouldn't be worth the cost of printing.

Even AS a vaper, I can have the common courtesy and sense to know that there are people who don't want or need vapor near them. Also, I like smokers. I was one, and a dedicated one for many years.

Of course, I also can go into bars, and not drink, and can got through massive surgeries and not use opiates. I guess it's a commitment level one has to work up to and etc.., but I genuinely believe that I could go to a smoker's area (I often do) and somehow magically have a good time and NOT exit with a 3 ppd addiction chasing me down.

The problem, in short, is not vaping. It is not smoking. It lies within your own ability to tolerate and understand social norms, and the (real) similarities between smoking and vaping. Simple as that..

Anna

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I remember the smoking section in restaurants. I was a smoker and I always asked for a table in the non smoking section. I would do the same thing if a restaurant had a vaping section. I remember that cigarette when I got back to the car was awesome. With vaping, waiting until I can vape isn't such a big deal. I doubt I'd feel the same way if I still hung out in bars...but I don't hang out in bars. That's always led to me hanging out behind bars. :party:

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
I'll chime in a bit since in the state I live in vaping was considered not part of anti-smoking laws by a court and so restaurants and bars (and every other business) are free to allow vaping, which is what I believe the OP wants.
Most bars and restaurants still don't allow it because it "looks like smoking" and they don't want any discussions or complaints from other customers. They don't build special vape zones for vaping either because that's only a small customer base and wouldn't be worth the investment.
There are some bars and restaurants that allow vaping (likely because the owner vapes) but their number is really small and there's some lists to keep track of them.

I don't see the harm in allowing business owners to decide if they want vaping on their premises or not, but don't expect there to be a lot of businesses to allow it then. If vaping would drive off other customers (or they just think it would) then they will ban it, as most places have done here.
If there's a business that can function as a "vapers lounge" of some sort then why not? People who don't want that simply can avoid going there and if there's not enough interested vapers then it'll just close.

In contrast to that I think telling vape shops that customers can't vape inside is a bit of an overreach (as I believe is the case in some US states).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread