Status
Not open for further replies.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
I got my VTR yesterday, loaded up the 30s with some El Toro Cigarillo and was amazed. Yes, it's heavy. Yes, it's a total fingerprint magnet. It does produce some good vapor, but, and there is always a but.....

The ohms readings are all over the place when I use just the VTR, from "non" (short) to over five ohms. I did some checking and have come to the conclusion that either the center pin has contact problems or the rotating 510 connector has problems. I'm leaning toward the center pin as the actual source since additional tests with the extension tube show fairly consistent resistance readings.

That center pin is really kind of a large diameter, bigger than the outer ring on most delivery devices. This means that the center pin on the delivery device needs to project a little to make contact with the VTR center pin. If it doesn't project far enough good contact won't happen and, worse yet, if it's a loose pin on the delivery device, it will retract back in with use.

Why Innokin found it necessary to use such a large center pin is something I don't understand. Looking at it compared to the center pin connection on an iClear 30 or 30s, it's almost twice the diameter. That, to me, looks like a built-in failure point that will develop a short eventually as the delivery device "wears" and the center pin gets pushed further in.

I like the VTR, nice look, nice weight and good vaping performance, but I am very disappointed with the way resistance can vary all over the place because of the way the center pin connection is being made. Like the VV V2, good idea, poor execution.

4star60

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
St.louis
I picked up the VTR at my local b&m a little over a week ago. Im pretty much a newb but after hearing others mention a machine oil taste I put the adapter on with thr I30s and there is a major difference. This does not make me happy. I like the tank tucked along side the unit but the taste is just majorly better sitting atop the adapter. Major fail in my opinion. I wish now Id saved some money and just bought the mvp2 like I had originally planned. I dont know if the taste is machine oil? Or a hot electronics taste? You can smell it if you sniff at the connection with the tank off.... when I first read about the foul taste I didnt want to believe it.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
I haven't noticed any machine oil taste or electronics burning smell, yet.

I have narrowed the resistance problem down and, in my case anyway, it seems to be a problem with the spinning 510 connector. I spun the heck out of it for a few minutes the rocked it back and forth for a few minutes in almost a complete revolution each time. That seems to have stabilized the resistance readings and they are now within a tenth of what I would expect to see, if not dead on. The functionality of that spinning connector, to me, is marginal at best and totally un-necessary. Just another point of failure on another, otherwise, nice device.

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
I picked up the VTR at my local b&m a little over a week ago. Im pretty much a newb but after hearing others mention a machine oil taste I put the adapter on with thr I30s and there is a major difference. This does not make me happy. I like the tank tucked along side the unit but the taste is just majorly better sitting atop the adapter. Major fail in my opinion. I wish now Id saved some money and just bought the mvp2 like I had originally planned. I dont know if the taste is machine oil? Or a hot electronics taste? You can smell it if you sniff at the connection with the tank off.... when I first read about the foul taste I didnt want to believe it.

Neither of my VTRs produce any odd smells.

You should quit using your VTR and take it back to the store if there is any question at all about the smell being from overheated electronics. If it is, your VTR may well not be safe to use.

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
oops, sorry, my bad. Thanks
Gonna let ya slide this one time, Rat. :)

As for burning oil mentioned by somebody, there's no logical reason that I can think of why that would be present only when connected without the spacer tube. Seems to me that kind of off taste is invariably the result of oils left over from the manufacture of the clearo's components, and can be remedied by rinsing it first.

Regarding the spinning 510 connection: thanks! to whoever mentioned that the pin is bigger than normal, and that there is a way to get it to work better by fiddling with it. My initial reaction has been to just use the iClear30S, since that doesn't have any connection issues with that connector. I do like the fact that the spinning connector has a little bit of springiness to it, giving some shock absorption.

To the person who found the taste to be flat with the iClear30S I suggest cranking up the power. It amazes me that I can vape at 9.5 watts with no burnt taste. I've never been able to do this with any other device.

Last edited:

KjAthena

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa Bay
well I must say that the 1clear30s does handle high watts well and after allowing the juice to sit for over a day(1/2 the tank was absorbed by the wicks in that amount of time) I topped it off and am vapeing Halo's shamrock at 13 with no burning whatsoever...the peppermint and chocolate flavors are really blooming. If I had a ADV I would say that it would be a fantastic option. It does vape and feel more like the cartomiser I tried early on

PeteC2

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2013
Bristol, CT
I recently bought the VTR and feel that it was money well-spent. Yes, it is big...yes it is heavy, but because of the far superior fire button and its better placement, I actually find it more comfortable than my MVP 2.0.

I've had no issues with ohm reading or performance, it has the amps to really deliver on dual coil clearos like the iClear 30 and 30s. It vapes my Pro Tank 2s well also.

Although I appreciate the extender tube, I much prefer the appearance using a full sized tank.

Is the VTR for everyone? Of course not, any more than any other mod, but it is a well designed, well constructed vaping device. It looks great, vapes great, and if you like the form-factor, its one fine mod.

HandbananA

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2012
USA, Florida
I picked up the VTR at my local b&m a little over a week ago. Im pretty much a newb but after hearing others mention a machine oil taste I put the adapter on with thr I30s and there is a major difference. I dont know if the taste is machine oil? Or a hot electronics taste? You can smell it if you sniff at the connection with the tank off.... when I first read about the foul taste I didnt want to believe it.

Yeah I get the exact same thing. It's from the spinning 510 connection. If you look into the airflow slots in the connector you'll see a metal backer that it rotates around and you can actually see the machine oil on it. So when you vape your pretty much pulling that scent in along with your air for the atomizer.
I kinda want to take mine apart to clean it out but I don't want to do it until someone else does it successfully.

Tapatalk

Last edited:

HandbananA

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2012
USA, Florida
The only clicking sound I hear is liquid boiling in the 30s.

Even when you put your ear up to the fire button? Just trying to find out how many peoples VTR's make this sound. Sometimes mine ticks for a second before the atomizer fires others it ticks the entire time.

Tapatalk

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
Even when you put your ear up to the fire button? Just trying to find out how many peoples VTR's make this sound. Sometimes mine ticks for a second before the atomizer fires others it ticks the entire time.

Tapatalk
No ticking here, and the coils start audibly firing immediately when I press the button.

Dconnor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2013
Las Vegas

Tapatalk

Mine does this, although I would call it more of a buzzing sound. It is hard to hear unless it is really quiet, or you hold your ear to the button. I emailed the vendor I got it from a couple days ago, and no response so far.

HandbananA

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2012
USA, Florida
Mine does this, although I would call it more of a buzzing sound. It is hard to hear unless it is really quiet, or you hold your ear to the button. I emailed the vendor I got it from a couple days ago, and no response so far.

Cool let me know what they say. So far only you, me and ladyvaper have said that the VTR makes this sound. I bought mine in a coop and I'm trying to find out if I need to replace it with a backup unit.

I described it as ticking so it wouldn't get confused with the rattlesnake sound.

Tapatalk

HandbananA

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2012
USA, Florida
I think what you may be hearing is the "rattlesnake" sound of the voltage being pulsed causing the coil to vibrate slightly. It seems to be fairly common with some VW/delivery device combinations making more noise. It's actually about a 30 to 80 cycle sound.

Definitely not the coil 1,000% sure

Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread