Status
Not open for further replies.

lorderos33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2011
FL
Okay, so a little update. I was getting impatient with the way my wick was going, and how good it was (not) wicking. It seemed I had the flavor down pretty good, but the vapor wasn't what I thought it should be. So, I made another wick, a little bit thinner 15mm, with the outer edge folded inward. Then, left a little bit extra on top, not too close to hit the cap though. Then, instead of wrapping 4 coils (4 on one side 3 on the other), I wrapped 5 coils (5 on one side 4 on the other).(Thanks to Riddle for the suggestion). From the beginning, after adjusting shorts, and then "breaking in the wick" by holding upside down and firing.......it went right into tasting pretty good, and putting out some descent clouds of vapor (pretty sure was more than my 3-4 coil setup). I'm just wondering if this will increase in vapor, as my 3-4 coil did (as I break in the wick more)............ I was under the impression that adding more coils/wraps would make for a cooler vape, does this mean less vapor too, or the same? Maybe I just wrapped this one better.....and might re-visit the 3-4 coil setup later. It is a slightly cooler, more tasty vape now with the 4-5 coil setup....just wondering if I'm gonna have less vapor. Anyone else with experience with this?

Thanks

It can, but not likely with your juice. Some juices vape better at higher temps, some at cooler temps. Your juice just happens to be one that vapes better at slightly cooler temps. Come to think of it, this may also be what loft is experiencing at 4 coils.

loft

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
CT
It can, but not likely with your juice. Some juices vape better at higher temps, some at cooler temps. Your juice just happens to be one that vapes better at slightly cooler temps. Come to think of it, this may also be what loft is experiencing at 4 coils.

Nah, my juice tastes perfect with 4 coils. 5 it tastes alright, but doesn't have the warmth or TH that I crave lol. I typically vape this one juice around 11 watts on regular atties. I haven't bothered to meter my coils in the Katana, too lazy.

UA72Riddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2010
Griffin, GA
Okay, so a little update. I was getting impatient with the way my wick was going, and how good it was (not) wicking. It seemed I had the flavor down pretty good, but the vapor wasn't what I thought it should be. So, I made another wick, a little bit thinner 15mm, with the outer edge folded inward. Then, left a little bit extra on top, not too close to hit the cap though. Then, instead of wrapping 4 coils (4 on one side 3 on the other), I wrapped 5 coils (5 on one side 4 on the other).(Thanks to Riddle for the suggestion). From the beginning, after adjusting shorts, and then "breaking in the wick" by holding upside down and firing.......it went right into tasting pretty good, and putting out some descent clouds of vapor (pretty sure was more than my 3-4 coil setup). I'm just wondering if this will increase in vapor, as my 3-4 coil did (as I break in the wick more)............ I was under the impression that adding more coils/wraps would make for a cooler vape, does this mean less vapor too, or the same? Maybe I just wrapped this one better.....and might re-visit the 3-4 coil setup later. It is a slightly cooler, more tasty vape now with the 4-5 coil setup....just wondering if I'm gonna have less vapor. Anyone else with experience with this?

Thanks

Something else to keep in mind....

3 full wraps (4 on one side, 3 on the other) is pretty close to the same resistance on say...25mm wick, as 4 complete wraps (5 on one side, 4 on the other) on 15mm wick. That's another one of the minor things to keep in mind when learning to make wicks and coils.

Your resistance is in the length of the coil....not the number of coils. :)

Adam024

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2011
Napa, California

Thanks lorderos. That makes sense as I used to vape my bobas at 5.3-5.4v with a 3.0ohm carto/tank.....so i was slightly cooler, around 8-9watts most of the time I think. When I did bobas at 3.7-4volts with a low res 1.5ohm it was always a little warmer and not as good taste(IMO)...

It's also wicking better now, only a few hours after making this wick/coil.

UA72Riddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2010
Griffin, GA
I've kind of stayed in the background since I fell on hard times an had to sell my Katana. Lorderos and I both were learning these at the exact same time, and both went through a lot of the same issues you guys are having (though Lorderos quickly surpassed my skill level....lol).

These are easy once you figure them out...and I know all of you eventually will. A time will come when it's like someone just flipped a switch....and it all makes sense and works out. Then you go from just trying to make them work...to improving them to work better. :)

lorderos33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2011
FL
Nah, my juice tastes perfect with 4 coils. 5 it tastes alright, but doesn't have the warmth or TH that I crave lol. I typically vape this one juice around 11 watts on regular atties. I haven't bothered to meter my coils in the Katana, too lazy.

11 watts!!! you're a madman, lol.

Just kidding, you are probably right around 10 watts at 4 coils on a Katana. What happens if you tip it up while you vape. If it works good that way then I think you will want more mesh instead of less.

loft

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
CT
11 watts!!! you're a madman, lol.

Just kidding, you are probably right around 10 watts at 4 coils on a Katana. What happens if you tip it up while you vape. If it works good that way then I think you will want more mesh instead of less.

Hey, when I had my GGTS with Odysseus I used to make a 1ohm coil and run that at 4v (IMR batteries fresh off the charger) so I was vaping anywhere from 16w to 13.7w ... :X

lorderos33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2011
FL
Hey, when I had my GGTS with Odysseus I used to make a 1ohm coil and run that at 4v (IMR batteries fresh off the charger) so I was vaping anywhere from 16w to 13.7w ... :X

That's real man's vaping right there, lol. What mg are you running at those wattages? You'd be going through a serious amount of juice at those power levels if you're not burning everything.

loft

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
CT
That's real man's vaping right there, lol. What mg are you running at those wattages? You'd be going through a serious amount of juice at those power levels if you're not burning everything.

18mg lol... and yeah I actually went through the same amount of juice as I normally did, reason being is I was more satisfied and didn't have to vape as much.

loft

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
CT
She's workingggggggg.....!!

(And I'm able to chain vape on it!)

TOUCHDOWN.png

TOUCHDOWN!!!!

Last edited:

lorderos33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2011
FL
Something else to keep in mind....

3 full wraps (4 on one side, 3 on the other) is pretty close to the same resistance on say...25mm wick, as 4 complete wraps (5 on one side, 4 on the other) on 15mm wick. That's another one of the minor things to keep in mind when learning to make wicks and coils.

Your resistance is in the length of the coil....not the number of coils. :)

Not necesarily true. When I make a 15mm wick, I roll it so it fits snug in the hols so the diameter is the same as if I did a 25mm wck, just the walls are thinner and so they move thicker juices faster. In my setup, the same number of coils is the same amount of resistance/coil regardless of how much mesh I start with :)

But the rule is still true. The resistance is the length of the wire, not the number of coils but of course these are directly related to each other. :)

I know...stop being so particular...I'll stop now ;)

UA72Riddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2010
Griffin, GA
Not necesarily true. When I make a 15mm wick, I roll it so it fits snug in the hols so the diameter is the same as if I did a 25mm wck, just the walls are thinner and so they move thicker juices faster. In my setup, the same number of coils is the same amount of resistance/coil regardless of how much mesh I start with :)

But the rule is still true. The resistance is the length of the wire, not the number of coils but of course these are directly related to each other. :)

I know...stop being so particular...I'll stop now ;)

:glare: couldn't resist could you! LoL

This is true...so I stand corrected, and will go back to my corner with my crow platter! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread