Status
Not open for further replies.

lctrc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2010
VA
I'm so pumped my KFL is in the mail! Just need recommendations for a nice mech mod for it. Around $100 preferably but I am able to budge slightly. Any good reco's/pics? Thanks.

Super T Simplicity 18650 $135 ?

null-10.jpg

null-11.jpg

Waho

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Michigan
I'm so pumped my KFL is in the mail! Just need recommendations for a nice mech mod for it. Around $100 preferably but I am able to budge slightly. Any good reco's/pics? Thanks.

7dcov2I.jpg

Zen 2 DX looks pretty snazzy for around $100.

IMG_20130821_104748_912_zps51bfa6c0.jpg

I have mine on a paps 2.5 SS. $140 at domo if you like 18350. That's mine in 18650 above :D

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
gave the KL another try but trying something i've never used before: cotton.

micro coils 28g 8/9 wrap on 3mm diameter screwdriver. 1.8 ohms. a little high but testing a tank of juice. so far its wicking well with no leaks. needs a couple primer puffs to get it started. will def try a 1ohm coil after.

i have a bag of cotton balls and the amount i used is at least 1/50 of one ball. i dont have to buy anymore wicking materials! ive ordered more 28g from temco so im sure this will last all year and more. i also like not having to redo an entire coil. take out cotton dry burn replace cotton and go. i shouldve done this sooner...

as you said you can lower the resistance thus lowering the number of wraps which will be a faster response in the vape or you can make the diameter of the coil smaller. at 3mm technically its not a micro coil but a standard coil with close wraps. a true micro coil is a lot smaller in diameter. the advantage of going smaller in diameter instead reducing your resistance is you will maintain more coverage on the wick. I would keep the 28g wire and just reduce to about 1.7mm, which is about the size of 1/16. at this diameter you could actually increase the number of wraps and still wind up with a resistance lower then 1.8Ω and wont have to prime the puffs as much. also I have cut down one cotton ball and was able to make between 16 to 20 wicks for the k-lite, not that its a waste to just get 2 but just trying to get the size of the wick in perspective.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Thank you digital!! :)
mmm I ever have done my resistence of 2 mm sillica fiber, 5 laps and setup 8 with kanthal 0,2mm. I would like to try micro resistence as you. With kanthal 0,2 mm 32AW. Would I do a setup?
I want to do as this:
http://s1261.photobucket.com/user/donnahumber/media/DSC_1318_zpsf622c6f5.jpg.html
Thank you!! :)

EDIT POST:

I want to make resistance like this:
micro coil on the kayfun lite - YouTube # t = 1659

But i have several questions:

1 -. What is the best kanthal that works?
2 -. Where I can buy it on ebay?
3 -. The lace where you have to perform the rotation of kanthal, what is the diameter?

Thank you very much!

hey buddy that was a video I put together about a month ago for the k-lite. I used 26g kanthal at really low resistances for that build but wouldn't recommend it unless you have a lot of experience in mechanical mods and sub ohm vaping. what mod do you use with the k-lite? if you have a vv device I would use 28g kanthal around a 1/16 drill bit, do between 10 to 12 wraps. this should give you resistances around the 1.5 range. if you do indeed have a mechanical mod you also can use 28g kanthal but just lower the wraps to fit your desired resistance.

gokusnimbus

ECF Veteran
May 20, 2013
los angeles
as you said you can lower the resistance thus lowering the number of wraps which will be a faster response in the vape or you can make the diameter of the coil smaller. at 3mm technically its not a micro coil but a standard coil with close wraps. a true micro coil is a lot smaller in diameter. the advantage of going smaller in diameter instead reducing your resistance is you will maintain more coverage on the wick. I would keep the 28g wire and just reduce to about 1.7mm, which is about the size of 1/16. at this diameter you could actually increase the number of wraps and still wind up with a resistance lower then 1.8Ω and wont have to prime the puffs as much. also I have cut down one cotton ball and was able to make between 16 to 20 wicks for the k-lite, not that its a waste to just get 2 but just trying to get the size of the wick in perspective.

i'll try it at 1.7mm next. i just made a coil thats a little over 2mm wide, 28g 5/6 wrap at 1 ohm. and you're right about the response time. at 1.8 it was way too slow! felt like an old man with a corn cob pipe. 1 ohm heats up way faster! you mentioned that your wick size is about 1/16 - 1/20th of one cotton ball. i tried rolling up the cotton not too densely but still "fluffy".

works well so far :D

Last edited:

digitals

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
Indiana
i'll try it at 1.7mm next. i just made a coil thats a little over 2mm wide, 28g 5/6 wrap at 1 ohm. and you're right about the response time. at 1.8 it was way too slow! felt like an old man with a corn cob pipe. 1 ohm heats up way faster! you mentioned that your wick size is about 1/16 - 1/20th of one cotton ball. i tried rolling up the cotton not too densely but still "fluffy".

Is that right, laying the tails across the deck? When I set mine up, I have the wick touching the deck just above the juice channels. Seems to do very well, but was wondering if I need to make the wick just a tad longer to stretch the deck.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl

for that diameter your wick looks awesome, it has the right stuff for sure. with my cvs sterile cotton balls I unravel them which then becomes a strip. this strip is like 4 inches long by maybe 1 inch wide. I cut the length into 4 equal sections, this gives me about 1/4 ich strips by 4 inches in length, I then cut the width in 4 sections. the end product is 1/4 in x 1 inch sections. so in total 16 sections. this seems to be just right with my 26g kanthal kay lite with a 1/16 diameter with 8 wraps.

gokusnimbus

ECF Veteran
May 20, 2013
los angeles
Is that right, laying the tails across the deck? When I set mine up, I have the wick touching the deck just above the juice channels. Seems to do very well, but was wondering if I need to make the wick just a tad longer to stretch the deck.

i just made it a bit longer so it occupies the entire juice area and wicks all the juice. the idea is that the juice will flow from the juice channel directly to the wick... just in case if i take a long drag and dry out the wick before it can re-wick new juice. maybe im thinking about it too much but so far not a single dry hit even with super long 5-7 sec drags.

cotton is so new to me and its so easy to set up! lots of different variables that affect the vape. coil distance from the air hole, coil size, cotton density, etc... so many things to try!!

Last edited:

digitals

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
Indiana
i just made it a bit longer so it occupies the entire juice area and wicks all the juice. the idea is that the juice will flow from the juice channel directly to the wick... just in case if i take a long drag and dry out the wick before it can re-wick new juice. maybe im thinking about it too much but so far not a single dry hit even with super long 5-7 sec drags.

cotton is so new to me and its so easy to set up! lots of different variables that affect the vape. coil distance from the air hole, coil size, cotton density, etc... so many things to try!!

Right. I don't get dry hits either, but I've seen it done this way, with the tails across the deck, before. I'm thinking I will give that a run next time I tear down.

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Thanks to Vapdivrr's adept videotorial and lotza talk/s by u fine folks - I finally yielded and made my first ever cotton/micro:p today!

28AWG Kanthal rolled on a toothpick(!), squeezed on red to deathly cling together:D 10-wraps, 1.1Ω, cotton from my first-aid box(!), wick-tails of 15mm each lying on both sides of the bridge... vaping fine till now... a tank is nearly over!

XtianApi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2012
Tucker, Georgia
Hello, thanks to everyone who helped me the connection issue, I fixed it. I need some help with something else though. I tried out a cotton wick. I bought sterile, 100% pure cotton balls from my local supermarket that starts with a Kro. I made a nice wick out of it following a youtube video. It was a good wick and a nice coil. I vaped it and it was that most earthy cottony tasting taste ever. It was sickening. I was not burning it because I started out really low, and the cotton had soaked a while, and I even dripped on it more. I did this in the kayfun lite. Then, I soaked and squeezed a new bit of cotton out in pure alcohol, everclear, and it was exactly the same when I built the wick out of that. Can someone tell me what going on? Is it the cotton balls? It tastes like I am smoking a cotton ball, but I am sure it wasn't burning. It must be the cotton balls, but I don't know what else to get. Thanks everyone in advance.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Right. I don't get dry hits either, but I've seen it done this way, with the tails across the deck, before. I'm thinking I will give that a run next time I tear down.

I've had the best luck with mine having the tails of the cotton running across the width of the deck.

9ball_AJ

On the Snap...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I put together a dual coil setup on my KFL today. I gotta say that it's performing really well. I was concerned that i might be blocking the airflow given the amount of wick material that's stuffed inside the evap chamber, but I didn't notice much difference. It's wicking really well, the flavor is great, it's pumping out the vapor and the throat hit is awesome. It's quite a bit warmer than I'm used to, but I'm liking it so far.

It's certainly not the prettiest setup I've ever built, but function over form, right? :D

2mm ekowool, 30g kanthal @ 0.8 ohms:

20130825_172647_zps3aeccd8c.jpg

20130825_172520_zps8ada013c.jpg

20130825_172533_zps751292da.jpg

Waho

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Michigan
Hello, thanks to everyone who helped me the connection issue, I fixed it. I need some help with something else though. I tried out a cotton wick. I bought sterile, 100% pure cotton balls from my local supermarket that starts with a Kro. I made a nice wick out of it following a youtube video. It was a good wick and a nice coil. I vaped it and it was that most earthy cottony tasting taste ever. It was sickening. I was not burning it because I started out really low, and the cotton had soaked a while, and I even dripped on it more. I did this in the kayfun lite. Then, I soaked and squeezed a new bit of cotton out in pure alcohol, everclear, and it was exactly the same when I built the wick out of that. Can someone tell me what going on? Is it the cotton balls? It tastes like I am smoking a cotton ball, but I am sure it wasn't burning. It must be the cotton balls, but I don't know what else to get. Thanks everyone in advance.

Cotton balls have a bit of a cottony taste for a bit in my experience. Along the lines of silica and it's fresh ropey taste. It goes away for me after a half a ml or so.

I've had the best luck with mine having the tails of the cotton running across the width of the deck.

Ditto!

jmkiang

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2013
Chicago
I put together a dual coil setup on my KFL today. I gotta say that it's performing really well. I was concerned that i might be blocking the airflow given the amount of wick material that's stuffed inside the evap chamber, but I didn't notice much difference. It's wicking really well, the flavor is great, it's pumping out the vapor and the throat hit is awesome. It's quite a bit warmer than I'm used to, but I'm liking it so far.

It's certainly not the prettiest setup I've ever built, but function over form, right? :D

2mm ekowool, 30g kanthal @ 0.8 ohms:

20130825_172647_zps3aeccd8c.jpg

20130825_172520_zps8ada013c.jpg

20130825_172533_zps751292da.jpg

Nice! Don't see too many KFL owners going sub ohm. I'm at 0.6 and couldn't be happier.

9ball_AJ

On the Snap...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nice! Don't see too many KFL owners going sub ohm. I'm at 0.6 and couldn't be happier.

I prefer about 1-1.2 ohms on a single coil in the KFL. But I woke up this morning with this idea in my head and just had to try it. Have to stay above 0.8 ohms due to the fact that I use primarily 18350's, but this is a winner in my book.

lctrc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2010
VA
I was looking promo stuff for the Rose. One of its features is the ability to recoil or rewick without draining. Essentially, just turn it upside down then unscrew the base. I realized the same thing can be done with a Kayfun Lite.

The KFL needs a little help though - namely some sort of stopper to keep all the juice from running out of the drip tip (the chimney will come out with the base). So I replaced the drip tip with my carto-tank fill tool and gave it a shot. Oila.

XtianApi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2012
Tucker, Georgia
Cotton balls have a bit of a cottony taste for a bit in my experience. Along the lines of silica and it's fresh ropey taste. It goes away for me after a half a ml or so.

Like a super ropey taste? Because what I get from silica is very mild if anything, and goes away quickly. I couldn't stand to vape a half ml or so and I am not usually one of those people who is sensitive to new vaping stuff. Can you tell me exactly which brand of cotton or where you got them from, or if you have used multiple brands and they have all worked? Because I can see this taste being naturally part of the cotton, I just think with the brand I have, it may be way stronger because of less then perfect processing or something. Thanks and sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread