Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
The reason the Mini Lavatube doesnt take you trustfire 18350 is not a design flaw. ONLY use IMR batteries in a boosted mod. They are the only batteries meant to be used with it.

WHY?

I run Non-IMR Batteries in my Provari and for the Output voltages I use, it works fine.

Hottody

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2011
Temcula CA
I think the explanation that the Lava tube is a good introduction the VV VAPING is ok, however a better way to say it is: it's great for those that don't want to pay 200 bucks for a Provari and need a device that accoplishes its goal! A Honda and a Cadlac get you from point A to point B. What you buy depends on your needs and budget! For some, luxury is a need/ desire, while for others general functionality/dependability will fit ones need perfectly!

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I think the explanation that the Lava tube is a good introduction the VV VAPING is ok, however a better way to say it is: it's great for those that don't want to pay 200 bucks for a Provari and need a device that accoplishes its goal! A Honda and a Cadlac get you from point A to point B. What you buy depends on your needs and budget! For some, luxury is a need/ desire, while for others general functionality/dependability will fit ones need perfectly!

I think this is a Pretty good analogy.

Money is Always going to be a deciding factor. If you don't have the money for a $200 mod then your choice is made for you. But if you do, some other things come into play.

The Biggest thing I see between the LT and the Provari is Durability and Warrantee.

I have dropped my Provari too many times and it just keeps working and doesn't really shown many signs of wear. I can see by the Materials used in the LT that this Probably won't be the case.

And my Provari has a 1 Year warrantee where the LT has Only DOA, 14 Days or 30 Days depending where you buy it. Volcano says they have a 1 Year Warrantee.

Another thing is Overall Feel. Every Time I pick up my Provari I get that Rock Solid Feel of Stainless Steel. It reeks of Precision. I also like the fact that it is Made In America. I don't get that when I pick up a LT. It feels a Tad Cheap.

But as mentioned, they Both seem to do the Same thing vapor wise.

I wouldn't Fault anyone for buying either of them. Or Both.

Last edited:

FriedLiverAtack

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2011
California, USA
One would think someone could build a dirt cheap mod that is not only functional but very durable. I have a $1 flashlight that I could step outside and throw down the street as far as I can and then go pick it up and use it. Oddly enough my $80 tactical flashlight would probably not fair so well, although it feels very solid in my hand.

house mouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
BFE
And my Provari has a 1 Year warrantee where the LT has Only DOA, 14 Days or 30 Days depending where you buy it. Volcano says they have a 1 Year Warrantee but they also say that it is Void if you use Anything other than LT Attys from Volcano. Not Exactly sure they are going to know this but I foresee issues with that type of Warrantee.[

That's not a true statement. A Lava Tube from Volcano has a one year warranty regardless of where you purchase your attys/cartos from. Initially the buy from them was the stance they took on their warranty. However, that was reversed before the pre-orders went out. Your information is outdated and no longer applies.

txtumbleweed

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Walla Walla
The L-rider from Apollo also has a 30 day money back guarantee with a one year warranty. I also saw a video of a guy tossing one about ten feet to a concrete floor and it worked fine so I don't think they are as fragile as some people suggest. Mine has worked flawlessly for me without any problems. I've only been using it for a week but I don't forsee any problems.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
That's not a true statement. A Lava Tube from Volcano has a one year warranty regardless of where you purchase your attys/cartos from. Initially the buy from them was the stance they took on their warranty. However, that was reversed before the pre-orders went out. Your information is outdated and no longer applies.

Looks like Volcano has Changed their Warrantee. I stand Corrected.

From the Volcano Site:

Special LAVATUBE Warranty Information:

■The LAVATUBE unit will include a 1 Year Limited Warranty against any manufacturing defects from the date of purchase. We strongly suggest that you use the AW IMR High Drain 18650 LiMN Rechargeable Batteries that we sell but feel free to use any compliant 18650 battery you may already have. Also, any 510 threaded atomizer may be used as well. We strongly recommend an atomizer with a 3.0 ohm resistance or greater

■The AW IMR High Drain 18650 LiMN Rechargeable Batteries will be warrantied for 90 days from the date of purchase. Please make sure to fully charge your batteries in-between use and to follow safe storage practices when they are not being used.

robcope

ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2010
Texas
I will be buying my second LavaTube soon. I have had mine since the initial release and love it. I would love a provari, but can buy another LavaTube and still won't have spent 200 bucks. Maybe I am just not technical enough, I don't measure the voltage, I just put my madvapes tank and Madvapes 2.0 Ohm prepunched carto on the LT and it vapes up a storm. I have tried more PV's than I can count and still use a 3.7 Volt ego style ecig now and then, but my LT is my main vape and I don't think you would be disappointed unless your primary concern is how beautiful the provari is Vs the lavatube.

Creniker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2011
Salt Lake
WHY?

I run Non-IMR Batteries in my Provari and for the Output voltages I use, it works fine.

Because the amps are hard on the battery. The c rating of a non IMR battery is much lower then that of a IMR battery. Your pulling a lot of amps from these batteries, and IMR is meant to handle the conditions a boost circuit give.

5vz

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2011
in here somewhere USA
Because the amps are hard on the battery. The c rating of a non IMR battery is much lower then that of a IMR battery. Your pulling a lot of amps from these batteries, and IMR is meant to handle the conditions a boost circuit give.

Ah! Been wondering about what the circuitry does to the batteries, and safety, life, etc... Thank you. :) Adding to list of things to think about some more.

SIC08869

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2011
Orlando
apolloecigs.com
Kit Regular or Mini
43.95 after rebate and coupon code
Includes,
Tube
Battery
Case
Charger
Atty
DT

1 year warranty
30 day money back guarantee
Buy the mod and use it, review it here Electronic Cigarette Reviews & 2012 e-Cigarette Comparison Guide they give you a 10 dollar paypal credit
Use apollo1806 at check out with no other coupons and get 10% off

This is cheaper than the TUBE by itself from Vapingzone.com and 30 times the warranty
Entry level VV with huge warranty and reasonably priced, nuff said.....

SIC08869

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2011
Orlando
Which battery comes with the kit from Apollo?
I can see that the charger is different at Apollo from the one that Volcano has in their kit. Is it still a Trustfire charger?
Does the vent hole need to be enlarged, or is it good as is?

Looks like better battery and charger from Volcano kit but double the price. rtdvapor.com AW IMR 18350 3.7V 700 mah and *NEW* AW IMR 18650 2000 mAh and last but not least TrustFire TR-001 so for double the price get the apollo and grab the rest from rtd 3 times the number of batteries FTW! Not sure about the vent hole.

SIC08869

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2011
Orlando
Yeah I noticed that yesterday... Sorry for not reporting! Can't WAIT to get my Apollo LT... If you go review it still, will they really give you 10 bucks back? Can anyone confirm that!?

I just put in my review, I did the steps leading up to the review and they sent me an email saying that as soon as I reviewed they would send my my rebate. I will let you know if/when I get it.

edit: wooohooo submitted the review as well the email letting them know I did and already got my 10 in my paypal account!!!!

Last edited:

MRobs23

Apr 26, 2011
Long Island, NY
A lot of posts have said the lava tube is a good "stepping stone" into VV. I assume this is due to the $70 price point instead of $180 for the provari or $245 for the darwin.

What do these other 2 have that the lava tube doesn't? The battery itself is purchased separately, so all battery life/dependability is out of the question. All the protection specs look similar. What else? All they really are is a tube with a variable boost circuit, no? As long as the device accurately creates the voltage you dial in, that's pretty much a wrap.

Perhaps long term reliability (including quality of parts and craftsmanship) is the difference. Still, at a price point of less than half, it would have to be a significant difference.

FYI: I have never tried any of these. I'm looking into my first VV also and these are some of the questions I've been coming up with.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Yeah I have read things like this before.

My theory is if I wear out a $4.95 Battery slightly faster than an $10 IMR but can Almost Double the mAh that the Battery has, well, so be it.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
A lot of posts have said the lava tube is a good "stepping stone" into VV. I assume this is due to the $70 price point instead of $180 for the provari or $245 for the darwin.

What do these other 2 have that the lava tube doesn't? The battery itself is purchased separately, so all battery life/dependability is out of the question. All the protection specs look similar. What else? All they really are is a tube with a variable boost circuit, no? As long as the device accurately creates the voltage you dial in, that's pretty much a wrap.

Perhaps long term reliability (including quality of parts and craftsmanship) is the difference. Still, at a price point of less than half, it would have to be a significant difference.

FYI: I have never tried any of these. I'm looking into my first VV also and these are some of the questions I've been coming up with.

I think until you hold a Provari in your hand it is hard to Explain the Quality feel of it.

I have Both a Mini-Lavatube and a Provari. They both work about the same vapor wise.

But I have had my Provari about 8 months and it looks Brand New. Where as I have had my Mini-Lavatube just over One Week and the Screen Already has some scratches on it and a Chip of the Powder Coating has come off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread