Status
Not open for further replies.

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwLh3DdDgR0

Sorry it’s been awhile since I’ve posted new reviews. I am recommiting myself to doing them more often, and am going to try to establish a habit of doing daily blog posts from now on. Well, daily meaning weekdays, anyway. ;-)

I decided to begin again with a new 5 Favorites countdown. Those have always been among my most popular videos, and people start asking for an update almost as soon as one goes up. But as I started to think through my choices, I decided there are so many good e-cigs out there I could almost go up to ten. But that would have been stretching the definition of “favorites”, so today I’m going to do my 5 personal favorites, and tomorrow I will do runners-up and honorable mentions.

#5) The Dura (510, Titan, etc.): This is another great beginner’s e-cig, and many people may choose it for their regular e-cig. It delivers good vapor, up to a 4 on my one to five scale, fairly good battery life for the mini category, and with the manual switch performance is always reliable. It’s available in a variety of colors, and from a variety of retailers.

#4) The Janty Stick: This is a great vest pocket e-cigarette. It is basically a battery box with a manual switch and mini-USB power plug. It fits an 801 atomizer, but there is an optional 901 adaptor as well. The battery is a 3.7V, AAA size rechargeable battery, the same as used in e-cigars, so it is relatively cheap and easy to replace. Unfortunately, it doesn’t function as a true USB passthrough; the USB plug charges the battery, and the battery powers the atomizer, so you can’t use it with a drained battery even if it’s plugged in. Vapor depends on the atomizer you use, with perhaps a small performance boost over regular 801 batteries.

#3) The Vapor King (KR808D/D1): This is my second favorite of the disposable cartomizer models, but is better than my number one, the E9 type, in a couple of ways, so many of you may like it better. The vapor and cartridge life are better than penstyles, but not as good as the E9, and battery life is about equal to a penstyle. Where they really shine, though, is in the flavor and throat kick, which are, IMO, the strongest out there, and certainly stronger than any other retailer’s KR808D/D1 cartomizers. And I’ve tried several. And another bonus, the batteries are 901 compatible. So if you’re low on cartomizers, pop on a 901 atomizer for a while instead.

#2) The Prodigy: These Made-in-the-USA beauties have really captured my heart, more than I thought it would due to its size. It is an ungodly huge monstrosity, but the performance, battery duration, and versatility, along with the promise of long-term reliability, quickly won me over. Like the Janty stick, and the Screwdriver and GG that preceded it, it is basically a battery box with a manual switch.

It holds two approximately C-sized rechargeables, and where it goes its predecessors one better is in upping the voltage from the typical 3.7V to 5V, resulting in clearly higher vapor performance from all atomizers. The other terrific innovation was making the atomizer connector a removable adaptor, so the same body can accommodate any of the 801, 901, 510, or 401 atomizers. Despite my misgivings, I find myself using it very nearly as much as my number one pick:

#1) The E9 (aka LTv9, aka “old style”) cartomizers: There are actually several manufacturers of this model, beginning with the original, Loong Totem, followed by Kanger and E-Cig.com, and probably one more at least. I use the model E9 for them all, it’s easiest. I love this one the most because it is the biggest vapor maker out there, bar none. With a fresh cartridge and fresh battery, nothing else even comes close.

I used to complain about the batteries being the worst part of this model, but they have improved. The last few compatable batteries I’ve tried, from GreenSmoke.com, from Bloog, and from Smoke 51 were all nearly perfect. Medium draw, responsive switch, full 5-second draws, etc. And e-Puffer has an E9 compatible battery (actually a KR808D/D1 battery with E9 threading) which is penstyle length and duration.

The remaining flaw are the weak flavors, and lack of throat kick. Many people, myself for one, like smooth vapor, but I don’t think anyone really wants less flavor. So that’s a weakness. But still, I’m a vapor hog, and nothing else out there delivers the vapor like this can.

Watch tomorrow for my 5 Runners-Up (Runner-Ups?) and homorable mentions!

Last edited:

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008

Crash

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Karachi, Pakistan
Leaford can the bird talk?? ha you reminded me of pirate there with the bird on your shoulder :D oh and also wanted to ask you what version of the JS you had because well i dunno which one i have but i recall you saying that you can't vape on it if the battery is totally dead, but for some reason once the red light starts blinking on mine i just plug it in, its ready to go, so was just wondering maybe thats cause of different versions or something??

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Leaford can the bird talk?? ha you reminded me of pirate there with the bird on your shoulder :D oh and also wanted to ask you what version of the JS you had because well i dunno which one i have but i recall you saying that you can't vape on it if the battery is totally dead, but for some reason once the red light starts blinking on mine i just plug it in, its ready to go, so was just wondering maybe thats cause of different versions or something??
Mike talks, he has a dozen or so phrases like, "Gimme a kiss," "Come here," "Say Goodnight," and so on, and he uses them appropriately.

My Stick is V2. When you get the blinking low battery warning, the battery isn't totally drained yet. When you first plug in, you're probably using that small remaining charge, until it charges up a bit.

Crash

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Karachi, Pakistan
Mike talks, he has a dozen or so phrases like, "Gimme a kiss," "Come here," "Say Goodnight," and so on, and he uses them appropriately.

My Stick is V2. When you get the blinking low battery warning, the battery isn't totally drained yet. When you first plug in, you're probably using that small remaining charge, until it charges up a bit.

Thats cool leaford talking birds are awesome, and hmm i dont seem to get any vapor once the light starts blinking, i dont know i'll try to drain the battery and see what happens. Love the fact how you carry 3 to 4 pv's on you at any given time. Anyway keep the reviews coming :)

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
Through your videos (and without you knowing it), you were my main e-cig mentor even before I took my first vape. It is so good to have you back!

I've just watched your two newest videos included in this thread and I echo all the positive comments. You not only indicate how much you like an e-cig, but also why ... and you acknowledge your personal criteria for prefering one device over another. It makes it easy to adapt your evaluations to my own hierarchy of values. [For example, flavor and throat hit (or 'kick' if you prefer) are right up there with vapor for me. So, no surprise, your #2 (Prodigy) is my #1.]

BTW, based on your signature tag line, can I assume that you are a big Sarah Palin supporter?;)

Thanks!

jboze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2009
Orange County, CA
I agree wholeheartedly with Don. Leaford's reviews and videos are always extremely clear and concise. He always uses clear reasoning and gives tangible evidence as to why he prefers certain models. It makes it easy for noobs like myself to be able to make comparisons between models without actually having to buy every model first!

Wormwood

ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2009
Plumdiggity
Hey Leaford,
I just wanted to say welcome back. You were the first video personal vaporizer reviewer that I took seriously. Your explanations tell what to look for in each personal vaporizer. It was because of your reviews and also your coupon code I got my 901 first, and still use it today(as i decide what to upgrade to).
You absolutely right the Pv lanyard is a must. LOL my pv always ends up in my lap, and then the floor (yuk).
Is Micheal an African Grey? He kinda looks like one, but seems a little dark, maybe its just my screen.
Anyways welcome back. OH! Thanks for giving me the info that got me started on Pv's back when I had no idea what i was getting into.

TnA

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
Fayetteville, NC
Good to have you back and posting new videos, leaford! You're absence had been noticed and your fair reviewing criteria have been missed.

During your absence, there's been quite a few battery mods that have come out for sale, plus the manual batteries for the 801s and 901s, plus the release of the 510. Obviously, you've been keeping up with it all since the 510 and the Prodigy are in your top 5. Have you tried the manual 801/901 batteries yet? Just curious to see how you will rate those e-cigs now that you can control them with a switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread