Let's be honest, smoking cigarettes is far cheaper than vaping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GutWrench

Verified Member
Apr 27, 2015
Sure, but that is a choice isn't it. I have spent a lot of money - though like I said it was for a very specific reason. The in-law who introduced me to vaping started 6 months ago with 2 ego batteries and a couple of CE4s. She is still using ego batteries and CE4s and has not smoked a single analog in 6 months. With the price of cigarettes in the UK where she lives, you bet she has saved heaps of money. For a long while she had been rolling her own and still she has saved. Maybe the best decision she made was NOT to join any forums and allow herself to be taken over by shinitis. Mostly though - she has saved her life. Is there a price for that!

Sure it's a choice and I accept the price I pay. I'm not complaining, I'm just saying if someone was to walk up to me on the street today and ask me if it's cheaper to vape than smoke. It would be dishonest for me to tell them yes. I'm not sure if I have saved any money or how many cigs I have NOT smoked. I don't concern myself with it. I quit smoking in 2012 and never looked back. Was nicotine free for two years before a chick introduced me to vaping. I liked it and it didn't effect my wind or Stamina so I continue to vape. I have no doubt if I was to start making my own juice I could cut the cost down some but I don't have the time. I vape because I enjoy it but if I have to alter my lifestyle to do it I will lay my mod down and never look back.

Reactions: TraderX

AntC

ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2014
United States
What a great way to start off here at ECF...."Hi all, I'm new here but you are all stupid....". Lol! (I know that isn't exactly it but still)

I don't have a banner but I do have an app that counts. I was a smoker AND dipper, everyday was a pack of Marlboros and Copenhagen. That's $13 a day when I was smoking/dipping. Think it's gone up here in CA since, not sure it's been a while. But at those prices,I'm at close to $7,000 saved. I've spent plenty on vaping,I'd say as much as $2000 but compared to 7 thou I could care less. And two thousand is actually a high number, but just to be safe I'll go off that. I don't fully DIY, but I dilute my 24mg down to 3-6mg for drippers and 6-9ishmg for rta's. The juice is from MBV so it's cheap to begin with. It's a dollar a day for juice and wire/wick.
The thing is,I could see how some people could EASILY spend alot more than smoking. Especially with the new subohm coil heads at 5 bucks a pop,where I've been reading that sometimes only 3 out of 5 work! And if I vaped 5 pawns like I vape my juice (10-15 mls daily) I'd be homeless for sure. Was buying Koga cotton for 6-7 bucks a pack (five squares) and then found Muji cotton,140 squares for 9 bucks. All wire comes from Temco, so ni200 and kanthal is super cheap.
I think vaping will cost what you want it to. It very well could cost more than tobacco,but that's up to the vaper. I'll stick with the cheaper way of things but to each their own

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
carson city nevada
Obviously, I need to figure out the budget vaping part. So far it is kind of expensive. I can afford it, but smoking was cheaper for me. Hopefully, I will learn about the most economical ways to vape.
have you looked as fastech. they have a good selection of mods and tanks for very reasonable prices.also making your own juice can save you a lot of money.my nemesis mod cost less than $11 and my EK V2 tank was around $9 smart shopping could save you a lot of money.many people here use fastech

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
The op is right. No if ands or buts about it. Sure you can knock down the price considerably with DIY but you guys are leaving out all the hardware. Even if you buy all Chinese stuff. You are still looking at $100 or so for a setup that will give you a worth while vape experience. I vaped ego style and bought the cheapest juice I could find and I was still spending around $40-$50 a month on juice and coils. I was smoking on average a carton of Marlboro's a week before; so yeah, it was cheaper but then I was replacing tanks and batteries every few months. $15 here, $20 there... Then I was introduced to subohm vaping and have now spent upwards of $500 just on my two mods, ohm meter, RTA and RDA. i have also now started buying some more expensive juices... It's no longer "cheap" and I can feel it in my wallet.
First off, no, just...no. The op isn't correct. Even with purchasing an expensive mod, batteries ect ect. For the average pack a day smoker, they were spending an average of $50 a week...$200 a month. Once you have your gear you have it, and your monthly cost drops considerably, so if you do the math, its still cheaper. Average battery life span is 300 charge cycles, so those should last there average vaper a year, 6 mos for more extreme vapers. Many nice mods are out now with internal batteries....buy those, use them till they won't hold a charge anymore then replace... Even cheaper yet.
If you are out buying more stuff.... That's on you, it's a personal choice that can't be generalized as "cost of vaping". That's akin to someone buying a fancy Zippo, when a bic will do. Then say that person starts collecting Zippos..... Has their smoking cost gone up? No... They have added a new hobby expense.

GutWrench

Verified Member
Apr 27, 2015
First off, no, just...no. The op isn't correct. Even with purchasing an expensive mod, batteries ect ect. For the average pack a day smoker, they were spending an average of $50 a week...$200 a month. Once you have your gear you have it, and your monthly cost drops considerably, so if you do the math, its still cheaper. Average battery life span is 300 charge cycles, so those should last there average vaper a year, 6 mos for more extreme vapers. Many nice mods are out now with internal batteries....buy those, use them till they won't hold a charge anymore then replace... Even cheaper yet.
If you are out buying more stuff.... That's on you, it's a personal choice that can't be generalized as "cost of vaping". That's akin to someone buying a fancy Zippo, when a bic will do. Then say that person starts collecting Zippos..... Has their smoking cost gone up? No... They have added a new hobby expense.

My experience has been quite different. When I was smoking off ego batteries and protanks. I had failures of switches, dud coils, broken tanks etc. and to not take into the account of hardware is just crazy. You can't vape without it.

Reactions: TraderX

Ablonz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
Frozen Tundra, WI Cheesehead
The initial cost is more expensive but like above mentioned, once you buy the gear, you have it. Even at my smokes only being $2/ pack, 7 months later, I am now saving money because I am not out spending it on every new item that becomes available to the public. I have what works for me and that is what one really needs.

Reactions: YoursTruli

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
This thread got me to thinking. I just did the math. If Hubby and I were still smoking we would have spent over $13,000.00 over the past 3 1/2 years on something that we would burn up and throw away. He still smokes about 2 cartons a month, down from 2 cartons a week.

At this point we could conceivably vape for the rest of our lives and not have to buy anything other than an occasional bottle or two of flavoring for our diy juice and an occasional battery replacement.

Vaping is a win in both health and bank account for us no matter how ya look at it :banana:

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
To the OP, I hope the good info spread across these 5 pages has been helpful. Since you admit that you needed to discover the financial benefits of smoking rollies, you can see the parallels in vaping. Folks started in one way and ended another. This is new to everyone on account of it being, well, new.

If you want the RYO equivalent to vaping, then it's time to look into a rebuildable platform, well constructed mod and cheap or DIY juices. Lots to read and learn, but as you can see, the cost of vaping runs the gamut just like a tobacco habit.

Thankfully, since you're already DIY-minded, the jump to this style of vaping should not only be easy and cheaper, but personally rewarding as well.

On a final note, if you really wanted to avoid defensive posturing, let me suggest you refrain from making snide comments about intelligence.

Vape on, brother!

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
My experience has been quite different. When I was smoking off ego batteries and protanks. I had failures of switches, dud coils, broken tanks etc. and to not take into the account of hardware is just crazy. You can't vape without it.
Without proper guidance, many first timers wind up buying the wrong stuff and spending more then necessary on the beginning, but even with that factored in, for anyone who smoked at least a pack a day, they would be saving money after the first few months. Like I said above, if you are out buying new mods (GAS - gear acquisition syndrome, shinyitus etc.) that factors in to a hobby expense, it's no longer a fair comparison. You could buy an expensive mod, and everything needed, and still come in cheaper then smoking... And that's not factoring in saved money from medical issues that arise from smoking... Doctor visits, dental care etc

Reactions: KattMamma

erictho

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2011
Edmonton
in regards to the op:
when i quit smoking i could go through a pouch of drum tobacco every 4 days at the most frequent. they were about $34 per pouch. i now spend an average of $60 on liquid each month. i rebuild so since buying the $17 of supplies i use to rebuild a couple months ago i still have not had to buy more.
where i live vaping is way cheaper than smoking. but really who cares bc i have exceeded what i could have spent on smoking on vaping some months. it is more enjoyable, better for me, and i'm spending the money on something way less consumable.

Reactions: WindyCityJoe

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Using a simple ego type e cig is far less costly than smoking cigarettes.

Using high end vapeware like mods and rebuildables should be compared to smoking fine cigars or pipes and quality tobacco, which costs a lot more than vaping 5 pawns from a Caravela.

It's still cheaper to vape than smoke.

That's before any of the heath care costs associated from smoking.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Oh, I've certainly spent more on vaping than I should have. That's what happens when you get sick and need something new and fun to do.

Now its time for me to learn DIY to occupy myself. I'll certainly be spending less money from this point on, but it wasn't about the money. It was about improving my health and a new hobby.

My banner probably should say "$x not spent on tobacco"

Rabbit Slayer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ
  • Deleted by sonicdsl
  • Reason: Inappropriate

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    So yeah, the OP's smoking costs were much less than most of us. While I never did enjoy RYO smokes in my neck of the woods I was purchasing smokes for ~$50 a 10pack and using them up at a rate of 1-2.5 PAD (depending on if I was working that day or not). So ~$70 a week smoking habit.

"Vaping" - I'm consuming 3-5ml a day. While some 'store bought' and/or 'premium' juice may cost upwards of $1-2 a ml, I've quickly moved into the bulk flavorless @~$12.00 for 16oz (500ml) so instead of spending $70x12=$840 every 3 months on analog smokes I'm spending ~$25 in the same time frame for: raw juice, flavorings, coils and shipping. (a 97% savings!!)

While my house (and everything I own) still STINK from the +40yrs of smoking, the other half's and my health is benefiting from my no longer smoking and the house is no longer cluttered with those nasty ash trays.

As long as the 'powers that be' don't regulate away my ability to get inexpensive unflavored nico-juice I'll continue to save money.

Quantum Mech

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 1, 2015
    UK
    I have a smoking app to show me savings & run a spread sheet on all that I purchase for vaping

My vape budget is 50% of what I save

Instead of a load of ash & buts to chuck out for refuge collection each week

I have lots of nice shiny toys & about a litre of home brew in various diff flavours ready to vape

Just under 3 litres of nic base in the freezer & enough pg/vg/base/flavourings in the fridge to make 2 or 3 litres more of juice

Think I just might be slightly better off as I still have a spare £1k to spend on goodies to equal that 50% :shock:

Reactions: Ablonz

CommaHolly

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 22, 2012
    Plant City, FL
    This thread got me to thinking. I just did the math. If Hubby and I were still smoking we would have spent over $13,000.00 over the past 3 1/2 years on something that we would burn up and throw away. He still smokes about 2 cartons a month, down from 2 cartons a week.

that's a dang nice vacation every year, lady,,,,,,,,,,,but don't mind me, I'm a travel agent :D

TraderX

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 29, 2015
    Philly Suburbs
    Thanks everyone, and I do sincerely apologize if I offended anyone, it surely was not my intent. Apparently there is a RYO side to vaping which I clearly need to discover. In that regard, I just found Caterpillar Vaping sells cheap Hangsen liquid, not as cheap as Fasttech, but no long wait times either. I am going to try some of the tobacco flavors since I still want something tobacco flavored right now. I see their RY4 is well thought of by many.

stevegmu

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 10, 2013
    6992 kilometers from home...
    I figure $5/day in e-liquid and coils. If I smoked store bought cigarettes it would be a wash. I stuffed my own with Kentucky Select organic for years before quitting; not because of cost savings, but the carpet glue or whatever they added as fire ......ant in cigarettes didn't taste good to me. I spend twice almost twice as much vaping as I did when I stuffed my own, but the health benefits of only smoking 10, or so cigarettes/year, vs. 10-20+/day are priceless...

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread