The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Let's see those patinas!

Discussion in 'Cosmetic Mods' started by jmunk, Jul 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Evilocity

Evilocity Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 30, 2014
    Washington DC
    The good thing is, the patina the egg did was overall pretty subtle compared to the others. It can be polished out much more easily than the ammonia I'd say. Nothing to lose my man, get some pics up once ur done!

2. Kh888

Kh888 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 11, 2014
    Illinois
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Evilocity

Evilocity Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 30, 2014
    Washington DC
    I love my tugboat. I think I'm going to mod it to bottom feed.

That blue is crazy on the penny! Nice job.

4. Alexdr6

Alexdr6 Full Member

Sep 3, 2014
    Boston
  5. sir_puffs_alot

sir_puffs_alot Senior Member ECF Veteran

Feb 27, 2014
    Hillsborough, NJ, USA
    dreadymark how do you go for more blue, whats the secret? got an oros I might do but i think ima try my copper 4nine cuz i dont like it as much. then maybe do my xxix

6. Mark Howard

Mark Howard Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Nov 11, 2013
    You know I've been struggling with the blue myself. It comes out a lot better on a really pure piece of cotton, but I'm not finding my clones to be of that quality. Salt & ammonia are the key, but not too much salt on the metal. I can get the blues to come out, but they just seem to fall off no matter how gently I rinse. Takes several attempts most times. If I figure it out I'll let you know.

7. NikZak

NikZak Super Member

May 28, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    The weekends patina madness has started... I'm trying to develop a new method for making patina, no huge reveals yet, but this is part 1 of that, 18350 tube of my Cartel set in copper with part one of the Zachary Method completed

[​IMG]

And some shenanigans... Another Penny mod, this time normal Mccoy Method but with some stripes of tape put on for something completely different... lol, in the middle is the 18500 Cartel tube which instead of sanding with my usual 400 grit sanding block I sanded with 180 grit to see if there's any difference in the way the patina takes with the different texture in the copper and on the right is the locking ring from the Penny mod

[​IMG]

Also my Manhattan clone arrived today (not my FUhatten, that will stay original copper) so might get that going tonight as well

8. Mark Howard

Mark Howard Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Nov 11, 2013
    Pegasus clone - Copper 454
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

9. DoubleEwe

DoubleEwe Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 1, 2014
    Hiding up a tree
    NikZak, I am loving just stage one of the 'Zachary Method'!. That mod already looks great, I would like to emulate that look and go no further with it (apart from some kind of matt clear coat).

Still looking forward to the updates though.

Dreadymark, that walnut effect looks pretty damn fantastic, far better than my attempt at an egg patina. Mine looks more like it has been dropped in a fire after being found in a coal mine.
    copperfeel.jpg

10. jonny45378

jonny45378 Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 4, 2014
    Arizona
    How long would you guys say is needed for a mostly blue/green patina? I'd like to make my Pegasus a mostly green with some dark Blues with hardly any other colors. Thanks in advance everyone!

11. NikZak

NikZak Super Member

May 28, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    Well folks, thought I'd post the results of the weekend's patinas... Never got the Manhattan clone started because I couldn't find any corks to be able to put the fishnets on it, waiting on some to arrive from eBay so as soon as they get here, I'll be trying my hand at a dragon skin patina... but here we go, I didn't get as many photos as I should have and the ones I got aren't brilliant but they look OK and you get the idea until I pull out the good camera (damn moving house sucks)

This photo is before clear coat, I haven't taken enough photos of them with clear so I'll do that tonight and take some better quality ones of some other patinas for you all

[​IMG]

On the left obviously, we have the main tube of my Penny mod, taped off with masking tape (so the ammonia bled through it and patinaed it under the tape unfortunately, I have to get some vinyl tape to do another one better than this but I'm still pleased with how it turned out)

Next the 18500 tube of the Cartel mod set which had a very rough sand done, 160 grit instead of my usual 400 grit. Wanted to see if it would make any difference, from what I can tell the only major difference is that less of the patina came off during washing so maybe I'll drop back down to around an 80 grit sandpaper for another test run on some other 500 length tubes that I don't care much for (don't have any 18500/490 batteries so those are my test pigs, same with 18350 tubes really, don't bother with those for the most part)

Finally on the right we have the 18350 Cartel tube with the Zachary Method applied, I'm going to have to refine the process and maybe get rid of a couple of the steps I took because I'm not happy with the outcome and will have to make it different next time.

[​IMG]

The Penny fully assembled with a black coated Brass Monkey RDA on top and my titanium drip tip that got the old heat treatment

12. NikZak

NikZak Super Member

May 28, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    So, I just had to take some better quality photos of the Basket Weave Penny mod patina because the photos I had just didn't do it justice

What do people think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. The.Drifter

The.Drifter Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Nov 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Stunning results ! Great job bro :thumb:

14. The.Drifter

The.Drifter Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Nov 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I like that it bled thru a bit on the cross-cross pattern. Makes it look a bit 3D ish, it's like you weaved copper strips around it :cool:

15. RickAdair

RickAdair Full Member

Mar 1, 2009
    This is my first go at a Penny.

IMG_0800.jpg

16. jonny45378

Feb 4, 2014
    Arizona
    How long did you patina it to get those awesome greens?

17. RickAdair

RickAdair Full Member

Mar 1, 2009
    I did about 13 hours using sea salt and a lemon ammonia. I'm guessing the yellow coloring in the ammonia helped the greens to pop like that. I also used an outdoor polyurethane for the clear coat. That may have added to it as well. Lastly I didn't wash it. I used an ammonia mist to clear the salt off of it and let it air dry good before I cleared it.

18. jonny45378

Feb 4, 2014
    Arizona
    Thanks man. I just started mine before I read your reply which makes me happy I bought the lemon ammonia. Hopefully it turns out good! :D

19. RickAdair

RickAdair Full Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Good luck!

20. jonny45378

Feb 4, 2014
    Arizona
    [​IMG]

My finished patina! Not how I originally wanted it to turn out but I still love how it turned out. Time to buy another copper mod to patina! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.