Let's see those patinas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilocity

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Washington DC
Sounds good, I might try it on one of the three Cartel clones I'm doing this weekend before I stick it in the ammonia chamber...

So far I've only done torched, ammonia/salt and ammonia and mustard patinas but this might give me a slightly different and more interesting texture
The good thing is, the patina the egg did was overall pretty subtle compared to the others. It can be polished out much more easily than the ammonia I'd say. Nothing to lose my man, get some pics up once ur done!

Kh888

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2014
Illinois
4db19416d598144e9f2c6337c71a5f06.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark Howard

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
www.dreadysmodspa.com
dreadymark how do you go for more blue, whats the secret? got an oros I might do but i think ima try my copper 4nine cuz i dont like it as much. then maybe do my xxix

You know I've been struggling with the blue myself. It comes out a lot better on a really pure piece of cotton, but I'm not finding my clones to be of that quality. Salt & ammonia are the key, but not too much salt on the metal. I can get the blues to come out, but they just seem to fall off no matter how gently I rinse. Takes several attempts most times. If I figure it out I'll let you know.

NikZak

May 28, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
The weekends patina madness has started... I'm trying to develop a new method for making patina, no huge reveals yet, but this is part 1 of that, 18350 tube of my Cartel set in copper with part one of the Zachary Method completed

ypdqP7A.jpg

And some shenanigans... Another Penny mod, this time normal Mccoy Method but with some stripes of tape put on for something completely different... lol, in the middle is the 18500 Cartel tube which instead of sanding with my usual 400 grit sanding block I sanded with 180 grit to see if there's any difference in the way the patina takes with the different texture in the copper and on the right is the locking ring from the Penny mod

13lbSMx.jpg

Also my Manhattan clone arrived today (not my FUhatten, that will stay original copper) so might get that going tonight as well

Last edited:

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
NikZak, I am loving just stage one of the 'Zachary Method'!. That mod already looks great, I would like to emulate that look and go no further with it (apart from some kind of matt clear coat).

Still looking forward to the updates though.

Dreadymark, that walnut effect looks pretty damn fantastic, far better than my attempt at an egg patina. Mine looks more like it has been dropped in a fire after being found in a coal mine.
copperfeel.jpg

NikZak

May 28, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Well folks, thought I'd post the results of the weekend's patinas... Never got the Manhattan clone started because I couldn't find any corks to be able to put the fishnets on it, waiting on some to arrive from eBay so as soon as they get here, I'll be trying my hand at a dragon skin patina... but here we go, I didn't get as many photos as I should have and the ones I got aren't brilliant but they look OK and you get the idea until I pull out the good camera (damn moving house sucks)

This photo is before clear coat, I haven't taken enough photos of them with clear so I'll do that tonight and take some better quality ones of some other patinas for you all

Q3bZheq.jpg

On the left obviously, we have the main tube of my Penny mod, taped off with masking tape (so the ammonia bled through it and patinaed it under the tape unfortunately, I have to get some vinyl tape to do another one better than this but I'm still pleased with how it turned out)

Next the 18500 tube of the Cartel mod set which had a very rough sand done, 160 grit instead of my usual 400 grit. Wanted to see if it would make any difference, from what I can tell the only major difference is that less of the patina came off during washing so maybe I'll drop back down to around an 80 grit sandpaper for another test run on some other 500 length tubes that I don't care much for (don't have any 18500/490 batteries so those are my test pigs, same with 18350 tubes really, don't bother with those for the most part)

Finally on the right we have the 18350 Cartel tube with the Zachary Method applied, I'm going to have to refine the process and maybe get rid of a couple of the steps I took because I'm not happy with the outcome and will have to make it different next time.

w6bfzxr.jpg

The Penny fully assembled with a black coated Brass Monkey RDA on top and my titanium drip tip that got the old heat treatment

The.Drifter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2013
Virginia
So, I just had to take some better quality photos of the Basket Weave Penny mod patina because the photos I had just didn't do it justice

What do people think?

iBYmN3K.jpg

I like that it bled thru a bit on the cross-cross pattern. Makes it look a bit 3D ish, it's like you weaved copper strips around it :cool:

RickAdair

Mar 1, 2009
How long did you patina it to get those awesome greens?

I did about 13 hours using sea salt and a lemon ammonia. I'm guessing the yellow coloring in the ammonia helped the greens to pop like that. I also used an outdoor polyurethane for the clear coat. That may have added to it as well. Lastly I didn't wash it. I used an ammonia mist to clear the salt off of it and let it air dry good before I cleared it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread