listing side by side mods

omeringen

Sep 17, 2019
Last week, my ambition easy side mod which i got on June, suddenly stopped working.

I was only able to open it after waiting 4/5 hours without battery. + button is stuck as far as i see because when it opens, it automatically adjusts wattage to 60W. I disassembled the unit, all buttons were physically working fine. No way to know but i guess it's a circuit/chip related issue.

Also, 510 pin was fixed/not moving (spring issue probably). Serial is 27349, so it is not from problematic party.

I am so sorry about this short usage life. Maybe a bad luck but i don't want to use any other Sunbox design mod (Aspire Mixx and Ambition Easy).
Kazuki looks good but it has an unbelievable 4.2V output voltage limit so it wont work with my coils.
Going to wait for new side-by-side mods about max 100$

Last edited:

Tor R

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
  • Apr 4, 2020
    Mandal, Norway
    www.kinnheia.com
    Last week, my ambition easy side mod which i got on June, suddenly stopped working.

I was only able to open it after waiting 4/5 hours without battery. + button is stuck as far as i see because when it opens, it automatically adjusts wattage to 60W. I disassembled the unit, all buttons were physically working fine. No way to know but i guess it's a circuit/chip related issue.

Also, 510 pin was fixed/not moving (spring issue probably). Serial is 27349, so it is not from problematic party.

I am so sorry about this short usage life. Maybe a bad luck but i don't want to use any other Sunbox design mod (Aspire Mixx and Ambition Easy).
    Kazuki looks good but it has an unbelievable 4.2V output voltage limit so it wont work with my coils.
    Going to wait for new side-by-side mods about max 100$
    that is awful, 4 month only. I defently expect more from the electronic on a mod.
    It can’t or should not be the same chipset Easy SBS vs Mixx, the last one doesnt have temp control.

Spydro

Sindoyen
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 20, 2013
    nowhither
    Way too many pages to weed thru, but one I have from very early 2014 from the first run of them that might qualify as a side-by-side is the MicoStick (The Donkey) from MiniEcig in Israel that used 18350 batts. I used By Leo Slim Tanks with their Sophia's to drive them (pictured) and VapourArt Spheroid tanks in it, but also remember one of the Aspire Clearomizer tanks back then would work in it also. Extension is for a 18490 battery.

donkey.jpg

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    Mike Vapes shows it goes from 1v to 8v.

Thanks Bill. I had a feeling something was off there. Heck - there are pod mods that are regulated above 4.2v today*.

* Okay, so I made that up. I have no idea if it's true, but I did have a cigalike that was reg'd to 5.0v back in 2011 (VaporSmiths, and I have no idea why I remember that), so I figure the 4.2v limit HAD to be off.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    Way too many pages to weed thru, but one I have from very early 2014 from the first run of them that might qualify as a side-by-side is the MicoStick (The Donkey) from MiniEcig in Israel that used 18350 batts. I used By Leo Slim Tanks with their Sophia's to drive them (pictured) and VapourArt Spheroid tanks in it, but also remember one of the Aspire Clearomizer tanks back then would work in it also. Extension is for a 18490 battery.

View attachment 909761

One of my first "WANT" mods, along with the original Billet Box. I got the latter, but knew the unreg'd would be a challenge for me. That was resolved for me when Mini released the Xvo, which will remain in use here until they die.

They did/do nice work (when they work). ;)

mahumnut

Oct 24, 2019
    Stratum balance clone arrived today. The screen has two rows of dead pixels :). The 510 is unique in that it isn't a single unit. The positive pin is secured by internals, and the negative, female threading is milled out of the deck. This means there's no insulator between the pin and the threads to prevent juice from leaking down onto the chip. I slipped a spare oring around the pin for peace of mind.

The battery tube threading is smooth, and the buttons feel solid and clicky.

It's a bit heavier than I expected, although that might just be because I'm coming from a pico. In 18650 mode, without a battery or atomizer, it weighs 105.4g.

I REALLY like the styling and size. The pixels are a bit of a bummer, but my pico's screen is like 30% dead, so it's still an improvement lol.
    pmQQS9w.jpg

T6mZq0z.jpg

aCL8M1a.jpg

skotsour

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 19, 2010
    Stratum balance clone arrived today. The screen has two rows of dead pixels :). The 510 is unique in that it isn't a single unit. The positive pin is secured by internals, and the negative, female threading is milled out of the deck. This means there's no insulator between the pin and the threads to prevent juice from leaking down onto the chip. I slipped a spare oring around the pin for peace of mind.

It's a bit heavier than I expected, although that might just be because I'm coming from a pico. In 18650 mode, without a battery or atomizer, it weighs 105.4g.

I REALLY like the styling and size. The pixels are a bit of a bummer, but my pico's screen is like 30% dead, so it's still an improvement lol.
    pmQQS9w.jpg

T6mZq0z.jpg

aCL8M1a.jpg
    I recently ordered a Stratum Balance clone, should hopefully have it in a couple more weeks. I REALLY wanted an authentic but ~$450 is way out of my budget

green.on.green

ECF Veteran
    Feb 24, 2013
    India

pmQQS9w.jpg

T6mZq0z.jpg

aCL8M1a.jpg
    I have been on the fence with ordering the stratum clone..

Could you please share a photo showing the issue with the 510 pin and your fix with the O-ring.

Thank you !

Sent from my AC2001 using Tapatalk

mahumnut

Oct 24, 2019

Could you please share a photo showing the issue with the 510 pin and your fix with the O-ring.

Thank you !

It's not a perfect fit, but you can see the silicone o-ring around the positive pin in this photo. I figure with the atomizer screwed on, it should squish and fill in any gaps.

yijSp3J.jpg

In this photo, you can see the plastic positive pin housing. With the deck/510 screwed on, it doesn't form a seal with the 510 threads. If I had taken the first photo without the o-ring, you would be able to see the top of fire button mechanism between the plastic positive pin housing and the 510 threads.

Hope this makes sense

VFLhFjp.png

green.on.green

ECF Veteran
    Feb 24, 2013
    India
    It's not a perfect fit, but you can see the silicone o-ring around the positive pin in this photo. I figure with the atomizer screwed on, it should squish and fill in any gaps.

yijSp3J.jpg

In this photo, you can see the plastic positive pin housing. With the deck/510 screwed on, it doesn't form a seal with the 510 threads. If I had taken the first photo without the o-ring, you would be able to see the top of fire button mechanism between the plastic positive pin housing and the 510 threads.

Hope this makes sense

VFLhFjp.png
    Thank you so much !

That makes total sense. I am not much into hacks but if you figure out a better solution to fix the gap of the missing insulator section please do update :)

Secondly, could I share your points and the posted images on FT product forum? Only if you are cool with that..

Might get some helpful pointers from other users

mahumnut

Oct 24, 2019
    Thank you so much !

That makes total sense. I am not much into hacks but if you figure out a better solution to fix the gap of the missing insulator section please do update :)

Secondly, could I share your points and the posted images on FT product forum? Only if you are cool with that..

Might get some helpful pointers from other users

go for it

edit: just for clarification, the positive pin is insulated, just not in the typical fashion which also keeps juice from leaking.

mahumnut

Oct 24, 2019

Thank you !

Sorry for crowding the thread, but I took some photos without the o-ring to show the gap. My phone's camera isn't the best.

cUFPT9C.png

z87Wwfp.png

Users who are viewing this thread